Euro 2008

I think that one handball could have easily resulted in a penalty for the Swiss. But then, I remember pretty well that one shootout against Ukraine.
yeah, it could have been a penalty, but it wouldn't have been a wrong decision either way, IMHO. but given the track record in penalites, that wasn't such a bad thing ;)

Pretty decent game, although the Swiss fans seemed very quiet.
I noticed that too, usually any given league game in basel is louder...maybe it was just too many functionaries, politicians, vips etc....with the smaller swiss stadiums this is more pronounced.

At one point I thought a dizzy, drunk fan had wandered onto the pitch and was running around to no great effect, but that turned out to be Streller, the Swiss striker.
:lol: hey, it's what he does ;)

I hope for a draw, so that you both can't sleep...
since there are large communities of both countries here that would probably be the quietest result :p

Damn It Cristiano , Score ... Grrr...

GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLll

PEPE!!!! SECOND TIME'S THE CHARM!!!!
GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLl

[caps]

No suprrices here. Turkey has either the worst defence lineup of the competition or the second worst. Eitherwase their defence has always sucked. I am extremely disapointed by the fact Ronaldo didn't grab a goal or an assist. Damn him ....Grrr.

Well scy, one has to concede Turkey fought from start to finish - they were ultimately outclassed, but their performance deserves respect.

Well scy, one has to concede Turkey fought from start to finish - they were ultimately outclassed, but their performance deserves respect.

Actually i do.

Turkey has a good team but an atrocious defense.

That is my opinion after watching them play with Greece 4 times on the last two years , with watching other matches and also tonight. Their central defenders for example are complete useless waste.

actually their defense was rather good in the first half, they utterly broke down in the second but they started well.

I was a bit disappointed by the lack of reaction after the 1-0. There just didn't seem to be any fire left in the turkish team.

actually their defense was rather good in the first half, they utterly broke down in the second but they started well.

I was a bit disappointed by the lack of reaction after the 1-0. There just didn't seem to be any fire left in the turkish team.

Having seen them play so many times i see there a defense that never stops at doing errors under pressure that can be taken advantage by opposition. If their defence didn't do so many errors then that could be to other factors that lead their team not get so much pressure. Defensive work can be a team thing and so one could say that defensively they where better and not so bad , first half but i am not talking about this , i am reffering to the individual ability of certain players. Which is important for one to know what to expect before coming into a match.

A humiliating defeat...:(:cry:
If portuguese were a little bit lucky(or Ronaldo has contributed more),it might be 6-0.

We made stupid mistakes.And paid for it.Congratulations Portugal!:goodjob:

Turkey has a good team but an atrocious defense and manager.

Corrected for you.

I hope at the end of tournament this villain retires.I couldnt believe as I saw Arda Turan was a substitute.He endured the horsehockey game of Tuncay Şanlı for the whole game.He should leave the pitch at 35.
Die villain die!!!:mad::mad::nuke:

edit:pepe had a great game imho.

A humiliating defeat...:(:cry:
If portuguese were a little bit lucky,it might be 6-0 or Ronaldo has contributed more.

We made stupid mistakes.And paid for it.Congratulations Portugal!:goodjob:

Corrected for you.

I hope at the end of tournament this villain retires.I couldnt believe as I saw Arda Turan was a substitute.He endured the horsehockey game of Tuncay Şanlı for the whole game.He should leave the pitch at 35.
Die villain die!!!:mad::mad::nuke:

I do think you have good attacking players. But fortunately for Greece which you shared a group with your defensive duo are buffoons . Are those the best defenders that you have ? Or is the manager at fault for them always not performing ?

I do think you have good attacking players. But fortunately for Greece which you shared a group with your defensive duo are buffoons . Are those the best defenders that you have ? Or is the manager at fault for them always not performing ?

Nah, there the best they got... :p

My tip: Nationalize some Brazilian defenders! Everyone seems to be doing it! :D

I was basically neutral on the Swiss/Czech match, but I was nonetheless disapponted with the result. The Swiss played great and deserved at least a draw. Hope Frei makes it back.

i remember last euro, i was still living in toronto, about a couple km away from the greek area. BUT i could still here them yelling... all night. I don't think anyone in toronto got sleep that night...

I live in the west end so a Greek victory doesn't echo too loudly over here, but a Portuguese victory is almost as unbearable as an Italian one.

We do have better defenders.But manager has problems with them.

Managers fault is having a very wrong starting eleven.

My view on the two matches today:

Switzerland vs. Czech Republic: extremely unlucky game for the Swiss. The Czechs were as terrible as I expected them to be. Plain anti-football. Precisely one chance and that only due to pure coincidence. Otherwise defending and that not even good. The Swiss were severely hurt by the loss of Frei. Given that they started with 10 men due to Streller their offense lacked alot. Only the horrible Czech team made it possible that they got the chances they had. Very very annoying game, football wise.
Sad that the Czechs will likely advance now, that kind of football should not be rewarded. For the Swiss it will be very difficult, near impossible.

Best players: first half Alex Frei, second the whole Swiss team as a collective without significant individual brilliance; on the Czech side Ujfalusi in the defense

Portugal vs. Turkey: For quite some team, at least until half time, I feared a repeat of the previous match, especially after Pepe's first goal was incorrectly called offside. Turkey played as bad as the Czechs, but the quality of the Portuguese team meant that despite bad luck on a level with the Swiss (three times woodwork and goal called off, after all) they still won convincingly.
I like their football and can only hope they go far. Turkey have a theoretical chance if they beat the Swiss, but I'm not sure that'll happen. No idea why Terim let creative players like Bastürk at home given the complete lack of creativity in the Turkish game.

Best players: Simao and of course Pepe for the Portuguese; Karim for the Turks

Aurelio seemed to help the defence out quite a bit (but deserved red), so they're on the right path.

Oh so they already have one?

I think Poland's gonna have to nationalize some defender to. Bak is old and we have no good ones coming in. Kokoszka is our best young defender, but even he isn't that good(yet).

I wasn't surprised that Switzerland lost. Although they played very well and dominated the game for a long time, they just don't have the quality players you need to win (or enought for that matter.)

Top Bottom