Europa Universalis IV

My personal point of view is that aside from the American natives and Russia, this is largely an overplayed issue (and in Russia's case it probably won't cripple them, just make them slightly less OP).

The other regions don't really need to colonize, West Africans have a lot more to do than colonize nowaday (and far fewer empty provinces to worry about), and the same is true for most other regions. It may limit some older strategies of rushing colonial holdings as a way to increase your power, but that's a far cry from making those regions unplayable.

I played Milan => Italy and is currently the most powerful nation in Europe. But my king died and Spain inherited me, and now I'm in a personal union under Spain. To make matters even worse, there is now a War of Italian Succession between Spain and France; the latter is of course very overpowered and I have no idea what to do. In fact the last time I played this game was a month ago, I ragequit when it happened but want to turn the tides around...

It's an Iron Man game. I can't reload.

What can I do in this situation? What should I do? Really, in all pragmatism, a permanent alliance with Spain is very profitable for me short term. Long term, a personal union won't work for me; I'm waaay stronger and I want to expand on my own terms.

I'm allied with Spain against France in the War of Italian Succession. What will happen if the Spaniards win? What will happen if the French win? Should I help Spain against France in this war or should I be throughoutly defensive, trying to undermine Spain? I don't know the succesion war mechanics, I want to be free again, but don't know how.

(Also, I'm #%¤$ing prissy about it, I had carefully managed an international alliance for about a hundred years, partly with France's allies, so I wouldn't get DoWed by them; now I have to start completely over after this &%@&ing war)

Russia less OP? But then they wouldn't be such a good ally. That was actually a key factor in my Italy game; an alliance with Russia did wonders against the Ottomans. Although they waned in power later on. They tried to westernize, and while westernizing they didn't invest in research or ideas (presumably because research would be cheaper afterwards). But they couldn't suppress the reactionaries well enough, so they never got above 25% westernization or so. So between 1675 and 1800, they made zero technological progress. It was rather embarrassing in the War of 1812 - Russia was sending swarms of troops against the Swedes, but with a 10 or 11 Military Tech advantage, the Swedes won every time.

As for Angst's game, I would suggest firstly not playing Ironman, and secondly siding with Spain. Regardless of the outcome, you are going to be the lesser partner in a personal union; the only question is with whom. It sounds like Spain is the less powerful, and thus the prospects for regaining your own sovereignty are better under them than France. While it may be advantageous to let them take the brunt of France's troops, I would be sure to help enough to avoid the even worse fate of being under France and having to fight them to regain freedom.

Really, the ideal is France concedes defeat, but Spain expends a lot of its resources and you don't expend too many, and you can flip right around and DOW a weakened Spain and gain independence. Not a whole lot worse is if Spain wins, but you aren't that much stronger than Spain after the war. Then you can be the junior partner until the opportune moment arises. The worst case is if Spain loses, as then you're stuck under France, and have a much bigger struggle to regain independence.

It's also worth noting that you can still colonize while you are a junior partner.

It's actually rather the opposite of what happened in my Italy game; there, Castile fell into a union under me in 1601 and I narrowly defeated France in the War of Castillian Succession. Occasionally Castile was more powerful than I was - with about 50% more provinces at the start, and their opinion of me was often Hostile rather than Vassal. So I'd go to war with France, let Castile take the brunt of it, and be back in control. You could be smarter about it than AI Castile was, playing purely defensive and letting Castile take the brunt of most wars as senior partner.

Of course it will be risky if/when you do DOW for independence, as other neighbors such as France may dogpile you. So it may be worth considering other avenues of ending the alliance, namely negative relations of negative Spanish prestige.

-----

Just noticed that the Humble Store has Conquest of Paradise and Wealth of Nations for 75% off, the first time I've seen them for 75% off anywhere (Res Publica is still normal price). I'm debating picking up one or both. To me the main benefits are:

COP:

• Randomized New World, which would be nice after a few playthroughs. Although I've yet to seriously colonize the New World once.
  • Can play as Colonial Nations
  • Can support independence for colonial nations
  • Possibly some improvements for Native Americans? Or are those already in the patch?

WON:

• Can privateer
  • Can create trade disputes
  • More flexible transfer-of-trade-power agreements

Whereas for Res Publica (which isn't on sale, but for comparison's sake), I see:

• Faction system. Is this any good, for those who have tried it?
  • Dutch Republic improvements.

I guess I'm almost leaning towards WON at this point. Supporting independence would've been nice in my current game, but it was kind of nice the AI wasn't doing that to me. The improved trade mechanics in WON might be more fun for most of the game.

But it's definitely a case of it being rather difficult to tell what's in the patch versus what's in the expansion. Which is kinda good since it means the patches are awesome. But I've also found myself slightly confused by times, such as at wondering how the +50% blockade and privateer efficiency for an Espionage idea worked when I couldn't figure out how to privateer (turns out it's WON-only).

Well, today/yesterday AoW was released. As per usual, people are raging. Mostly about rebels, although the friendly separatist rebels are funny as hell. Reminds me of EU3 and raising rebels that then trail across half your country. Fun times.

I rather like the changes I saw.
The map looks more intersting as it's more detailed. Trade route changes are ok but not earth-shattering.
I've finally seen the U.S.A form again. The colonial independence looks way better than before-patch. I hadn't seen any colony declare independence since htey changed the system so it's a huge plus for me.
The change to rebels makes them easier to handle in my book. It makes supporting rebels is mostly useless unless you need to raise your power projection score (which now makes some sense). Since rebels were mostly an annoyance, I think it makes the game easier and slightly more fun.

The biggest change I've seen is that to coalitions. People in a coalition will leave it while they have a truce with their opponent. This is good in my opinion.
There's also a huge change to warscores, with battles granting far less than territory.
There is also a totally silly war scoring system where you may or may not get 100% warscore when you control your 1-province opponent's capital. I haven't understood yet which war (nationalism?imperialism?) caused that, but it's way too easy to milk 10 provinces out of everyone else when it happens.

The new casus belli, being able to use a vassal's casus belli, are all interesting.
Transferring provinces in war is also a great feature.
The HRE religious war changes are very fun to play with (take that Austria).

A big minus for me: They removed the trade value map mode. I mean, why?

I just finished my first EU4 game that lasted all the way to 1820. In the end, Italy controlled the Mediterranean and most of the Middle East, Egypt, and most of Gaul. Union partner Castile controlled non-Portuguese Iberia, most of South America, the west coast of North America, and New Zealand. Allies were Vijayanagar, who controlled most of India, Russia, who controlled most of what they did historically, and Lorraine, which was roughly equivalent to Middle Francia in 843 AD. I was in the process of forcing Ming to become a protectorate, but ran out of time with 62% warscore. It takes a long time to get 200,000 troops from the Mediterranean to China, and I got distracted by conquering the Middle East.

I did pick up Wealth of Nations and Conquest of Paradise over the weekend. I finished this game on 1.7.3 and without them, however, as it was less than 10 years till the end.

Interestingly, no colonial nations so much as attempted to declare independence. Which I was kind of thankful for, since Castile had a bunch of them, but was slightly disappointing nonetheless.

Colonial Nations are meant to declare independence more in 1.8. I still haven't had time to play much 1.8 or AoW but I did start a Ming game and I'm quite saddened by the tiny amount of manpower I have, something like a 35k max!

They declare independance more but don't do a great job of it.
I saw the U.S.A rise from New Scotland in my current game and the Castillian Brasil didn't manage to win its war despite being allied with La Plata, Castilla having half its troops busy in Europe (so they had at most 40k overseas) and my dumping about 2000 ducats to help them. They stopped their war just when my supporting troops were onboard to help free their capital :(

Im wondering, now that the AoW pack is out, is it worth playing a game of vanilla without it to learn it? I have EU4 but I dont have AoW yet.

Well, lots of the AoW stuff came free in the patch. This link will show you what was free and what was only in the DLC.

As you can see most of the stuff was free so playing vanilla will still give you a good grounding in how the game works.

Do you have any of the other DLC?

Well, lots of the AoW stuff came free in the patch. This link will show you what was free and what was only in the DLC.

As you can see most of the stuff was free so playing vanilla will still give you a good grounding in how the game works.

Do you have any of the other DLC?

I have the other two expansions, COP, Won, and respublica. Yeah ive been thinking about trying the game again, im not very good at it, have 60 hours logged, with two playthroughs that were not finished, once with France and Portugal. Thinking of relearning the game again but im not quite sure where to begin.

If you can spring for AoW its probably worth it.

Some good starts to get into the game and not face to many challenges would be the Ottomans, Castille or Muscovy.

If your looking for something that should still be quite easy but offer more challenge or things that are less straight forward look at Denmark, Aragon or Austria.

It really depends on what it is you want to get more experience of dealing with. Castille is the classic training country as its got some great options for allies (Portugal, Austria and even England sometimes), some clear routes for military and diplomatic expansion and it can get in on the colonialism game as well. Castille also has a good base to play around with the Papal game as well.

Muscovy is not as easy in 1.8, from what I've heard.

Haven't played as Muscovy yet in 1.8 but I suspect that people are making mountains out of molehills. Ok the slightly silly 50%LA cap on colonised provinces is there and Poland is a lucky nation now but I can't see it being actually hard, just not ridiculously easy like it was before.

From the patch notes

- Brandenburg and Poland are now historically lucky countries

Whether or not it makes Poland to strong now compared to it collapsing to early before remains to be seen (by me at least).

Top Bottom