Expansion Packs: Not What They Used to Be *Opinion Thread

861,640 world wide sales?

But they must repent, for 0.017% of the playerbase has spoken!!!!!

:lol:

861,640 world wide sales?

But they must repent, for 0.017% of the playerbase has spoken!!!!!

:lol:

Laugh it up all you want but the game has not at all been well received and with good reason.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back on topic, I don't see there being an expansion pack.

Firaxis is simply too busy and they are a small company that 2K Games is reluctant to provide resources for. Especially for a game that isn't contemporary.
They've got Civ World, Civilization 5: The Mobile Game and their RTS game on the go.

I think Civilization 5 is pretty low on the totem pole there. Expect more mediocre DLC with no real meaningful changes to the game. Just more shuffling of deck chairs and swings of the nerf hammer.

That seems to be false logic. They wouldn't have dared to put out the game in the state it was in if they didn't have the Steam system in place. They knew they could get away with it and so they released a half baked game in order to please 2K Games' shareholders. So your scenario of being DOA is inaccurate. They would have insured that the game was up to snuff before releasing it if that was not the case. They never would have dared to pull the stunt they did in the past.

If Civilization V development had ran out of money without the ability to patch in fixes later and float on DLC, I highly doubt we would be here talking about the game anymore. At least, saying anything at all nice about it and I'm pretty sure the series would've made a death kneel.

Steam is good for some things. Indie game producers can get more exposure and produce their games cheaper. On the bad side of things, Steam is basically a crutch that they can lean on. Steam also helps promote laziness from the developers. The game isn't ready yet? Doesn't matter. Let's release it anyway and then patch it up as we go.

That is a problem but there really doesn't seem to be a way around it besides just not buying the game right at release. Steam has been great to Indie developers though which is the main reason I like it.

It's also interesting that you mentioned consoles. Console games used to be released with very few bugs out of necessity. That's no longer the case. I wonder why that is? ;)

True but that's the world we live in now. We can either A.) Don't buy bugged games at release or B.) Don't buy bugged games at release. Since we can't really do anything about it, just got to roll with the punch.

Besides, if there wasn't automatic patching, 2k would've had to throw more money at making Civilization V and that would just confirm the 2k's head honcho that "strategy games aren't contemporary" anymore. :rolleyes:

I agree with those who say, you can pay for only what you want. Also, this allows for the devs to release the same content earlier, by spreading it out over the course of a few months. As long as they give us the same number of civilizations in the same amount of time as in Civ IV, I am happy.

Since i don't get why i should pay for imaginary goods like DLCs and why Patches shouldn't be for free nowadays, i did never bought any DLC or Download-only Game and will continue to do so. In the case of Civ5, it's no great loss, since i'd be able to play DLCs anyways, but Civ5 is completely crap, so i don't have any interest in playing it.

How is DLC any less imaginary than the game it self?

I could care less about maps.

More: Civs, Units, Wonders, Buildings, Techs, Resources/Bonuses, Religion, Policies, etc.

I'm not that thrilled with DLC, but I have purchased all the DLC Civs and have done so when they are priced to move.

It's also interesting that you mentioned consoles. Console games used to be released with very few bugs out of necessity. That's no longer the case. I wonder why that is? ;)
This is just nonsense. Super Mario Brothers had the Minus World, Final Fantasy III/VI had the Relm sketch bug, the Legend of Zelda series has a few famous bugs, and let's not forget the first video game bug made famous in Pac-Man.

Less coding=less bugs. Old games=less coding. That's all there is to it.

it is ruining the industry how you would come to the conclusion it is not is beyond me. I remember a time when you got new maps ext for free and you could get tons of extra new fetures and gameplay options plus civs for 30 bucks.

I'm into an RTS game which is trying to be innovative under the massive shadow of SC2. Now it's near the end of it's cycle with the community begging for bug fixes so at least it can keep going. The developers make it clear that they can only justify support because of DLC and how easy it is to patch with Steam. It really is good for the industry in my opinion. And look at the economy, we should be grateful we have an industry!

I'm into an RTS game which is trying to be innovative under the massive shadow of SC2. Now it's near the end of it's cycle with the community begging for bug fixes so at least it can keep going. The developers make it clear that they can only justify support because of DLC and how easy it is to patch with Steam. It really is good for the industry in my opinion. And look at the economy, we should be grateful we have an industry!

so your argument is that we should have to buy dlc so they can fix bugs that should not have shipped with the game in the first place, man your just the kind of guy there looking for.

An expansion pack is probably forthcoming, it would sell really well and what else are they going to work on in the meantime? Civ makes money, expansions will make money, there'll be an expansion. It's that simple.

Saying that you'll buy DLC to help out Firaxis/2K Games is rewarding them for this debacle. They must be beaming right now, reading some of these comments. :rolleyes:

They rushed the game out at least a year too early to placate their shareholders and the game is still crap and we are supposed to be copacetic with this?

All this will do is encourage them to pull this same stunt again in the future. Mark my words, as far as standards go, the bar has been significantly lowered and it isn't coming up again. It'd be like Canada revoking income tax. (That "temporary" war measure instituted in 1917. :rolleyes:)

It's highly unlikely that there will be an expansion. They can make more $$$ churning out overpriced DLC and the bottom line with Firaxis/2K Games is the bottom line. Selling it in little bits means they can fleece you for a higher overall price. Expect more of the same.

Excellent point Thormodr, I'm very disappointed with the amount of people on this forum who are content with DLC. I don't care that much amount new civs or maps, I want new techs, new resources, new units and I want to see random events brought back, something only an expansion could bring out.

Man, you should program video games for a living if you can do it without causing any bugs in a reasonable timeframe. You'd make millions!

I never said one person could do that, there is a huge difference between no bugs and releasing a game that has some very minor glitches. most games had to be released in proper shape as they did not allow for patching on consoles in the past ,the way some games are relased now it's just sad to see that people are willing to not only put up with it but advocate paying for dlc to help the company fix a game that should have been released in good working order to begin with.

Top Bottom