Resource icon

Exploration Continued Expanded (Obsolete)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the fact that most of the other unique units didn't have a proper upgrade path was something that was a major downside with the design of this mod for me. Having units that don't upgrade just seems like a bad solution, I liked better those tribes that give unique promotions to your normal units.

Well, it's not by design, as they are all set to use the upgrade paths of equivalent units.

I really like this mod, making exploring a little tougher sure makes the world seem bigger, it's more of an achievement to make it to the "new world" or some hidden island chain or whatever.

A couple of questions (or may even be bugs?) related to what I guess you'd call "tribal" units, such as can come via the consulate buildings or just be found in the wild as barbarians.

Ninja - these are fun as scouts. However they seem to upgrade into the Longswordsman line? Is this intentional? I am down with it if so, ignoring ZOC and getting no terrain movement penalties is handy, I'll take the defense penalty in exchange for that.

Tlaxcala Jaguar - I guess they come from the Tlaxcala consulate building but I see a lot of them as barbs, they have something like a 16 strength? Oddly they upgrade into spearmen with much lower strength, maybe this is a hangover from the fact Jaguars (of an even lower strength) are the Warrior-replacement UU for what, the Aztecs? Maybe these guys should be upgrading into the Longsword area... or maybe Musketmen, can't say. It's just odd to have an upgrade go actually backwards in terms of strength.

Czambuls - can't upgrade at all. Sure, they're a poor man's knight placeholder, no horses and such, but maybe they ought have an upgrade option into Lancers or something? Eventually these are deletes, suicides, or placeholders as crummy garrisons or standing in strategic spots to interdict movement.

Dogon Sofi - these are fine, upgrade to volley gun, pretty versatile to heal nearby guys and move after attack.

Don Cossacks - I forget whether they upgrade! I had them once at least.

Sufi Elephant - cool. They are kind of expensive to upgrade into Volley Guns, considering their ranged strength is already as good as a volley gun, it just results in the other melee combat strength getting an adjustment for your gold. Still if you want to keep these guys into the gatling, machine gun, bazooka range, pay your gold!

I think I've had the chance to play with a lot of these special units because I often take a "heathen conversion" type power on missionaries, go hunt these little exotic units all over the place, bring home very strange looking armies. :)

Great mod, thanks for all the fun!

The Tlaxcala upgrade thing is an oversight on my part, the Ninja upgrade is intended, and the Czambul should upgrade as Knights do. I'll take a look at the ones you reported not working. Thanks for the feedback.

Well, I finally managed to play through a full game without anything major happening (except what I mentioned over in the P&P thread) so I'd like to offer my critique. I really like how far this mod has come from the early days (you have NO idea how glad I am that my units are no longer randomly disbanding in forests and jungles!) and I like how attrition works now. I really like the jungle mechanics you've added in, although I'm surprised you didn't extend them to forests, as the same conditions would still be valid. The wind mechanic is very interesting, though mutiny is very annoying. Not having scurvy damage in shallow water is also a big plus.

A few critiques: like others I didn't see any shipwrecks, and my game lasted well into the 400's. I also really feel that sulfur and rubber should be strategic resources, not bonus resources. Sulfur should be a requirement for gun units and rubber should be a requirement for anything with wheels. I'm also not sure that the tribal units should be available to the barbarians.

Some bugs: Ginger's pre-industrial graphics are showing up as an in-progress plantation instead of a complete plantation. I've also experienced the Belem Tower bug where my Great Explorer can't embark. I've also experienced a very strange bug where ExCE resources and tribes.....multiply upon loading a saved game. For example, a tile that had saffron will have another tile on the diagnol to it with saffron when I load a save (and a subsequent load will have this happen a third time), a tile that was bare might suddenly have a tribe or an ExCE resource in it. I've seen areas that were just plain be covered in ginger by the end of the game (or jungles covered in rubber/vanilla/obsideon, hills covered in sulfur, etc). I'm not sure if it's a harmful bug, but it is very strange.

Well, I finally managed to play through a full game without anything major happening (except what I mentioned over in the P&P thread) so I'd like to offer my critique. I really like how far this mod has come from the early days (you have NO idea how glad I am that my units are no longer randomly disbanding in forests and jungles!) and I like how attrition works now. I really like the jungle mechanics you've added in, although I'm surprised you didn't extend them to forests, as the same conditions would still be valid. The wind mechanic is very interesting, though mutiny is very annoying. Not having scurvy damage in shallow water is also a big plus.

A few critiques: like others I didn't see any shipwrecks, and my game lasted well into the 400's. I also really feel that sulfur and rubber should be strategic resources, not bonus resources. Sulfur should be a requirement for gun units and rubber should be a requirement for anything with wheels. I'm also not sure that the tribal units should be available to the barbarians.

Some bugs: Ginger's pre-industrial graphics are showing up as an in-progress plantation instead of a complete plantation. I've also experienced the Belem Tower bug where my Great Explorer can't embark. I've also experienced a very strange bug where ExCE resources and tribes.....multiply upon loading a saved game. For example, a tile that had saffron will have another tile on the diagnol to it with saffron when I load a save (and a subsequent load will have this happen a third time), a tile that was bare might suddenly have a tribe or an ExCE resource in it. I've seen areas that were just plain be covered in ginger by the end of the game (or jungles covered in rubber/vanilla/obsideon, hills covered in sulfur, etc). I'm not sure if it's a harmful bug, but it is very strange.

Some new bugs for me to fix, certainly. The next version has addressed the resource re-spawning issue, and I'll take a look into the shipwrecks.

You may think that, thematically, sulphur and rubber should be strategic, but mechanically this would be too significant a change - even the Iron-req Swordsmen have an alternative for the player. Not to mention the mod incompatibility. But you're right - Tribal Units should not be available to Barbarians - that was an oversight on my part.

The mechanics of Jungle don't extend to Forests because, ideally, such mechanics would only apply to deep Forest (i.e. Forest tiles surrounded by Forest tiles) - however, this, now, would to too complicated to accommodate.

Thanks for the feedback!

I forgot to mention, the two new beliefs aren't showing up, and the tribal units aren't showing up in the civlopedia (although their art is). There may be more but that's all I remember for now.

I accept your reasoning regarding sulphur and rubbur............and write my own conversion mod. However, when I change the resource classes in your mod, everything works except the graphics stop showing up and when I change them in my mod, my mod doesn't work. Did I change them correctly in my mod (yes it's in XML, I don't know that much SQL)?

Im having texture bugs... Sometimes, after I improve oak and cedar, the tiles look like regular forests(with no lumber mills or resources).

One time, a resource appeared on a tile while I was improving it. When I finished, all improvement graphics... Disappeared.

Shouldn't, no. The way in which Tribes are spawned has little to do with the map script itself per se, but it is rather its own lua function that scours the map at the beginning of the game and places Tribes randomly wherever it sees fit (so long as the terrain requirements are valid). But it does not always play them. As it is a very old script, and not one that I created myself, I'm not entirely familiar with how it determines where to place Tribes. But I've changed things a tad in the next update, which might help (at the very least it fixes the issue of Tribes and resources spawning on re-load).

Do you find the new resources on the map, however? That uses the same function.

Shouldn't, no. The way in which Tribes are spawned has little to do with the map script itself per se, but it is rather its own lua function that scours the map at the beginning of the game and places Tribes randomly wherever it sees fit (so long as the terrain requirements are valid). But it does not always play them. As it is a very old script, and not one that I created myself, I'm not entirely familiar with how it determines where to place Tribes. But I've changed things a tad in the next update, which might help (at the very least it fixes the issue of Tribes and resources spawning on re-load).

Do you find the new resources on the map, however? That uses the same function.

Yeah, new resources indeed spawn. Which is strange. I might have to test it out again, just to make sure. I will report it if I find anything.
Communitas has such lovely river placements, which is mainly why I use it, if it is indeed the map's fault I will gladly drop it.

Its not. I use it too. I'm seeing tribes, though they are somewhat misplaced at times(appearing on mountains).

(The map is included in the CP, in case you didn't know)

Tested it again, it does not appear to be Communitas's fault, as no tribes appeared on Pangaea maps either. I opened up IGE just to be sure, but the map had none of them while they were present in the IGE menu. Weird thing is that tribes appear on some games, while on others they are completely missing.
The luxuries and bonus resources were present normally. Mind if I post logs? Since they are quite long.

Logs will be unlikely to tell anything, but you can, in case there's an error. It is a random algorithm, and only one of each kind of Tribe is intended to be placed - several also only appear in the later eras - so it is entirely possible to random no Tribes in some games.

I have managed to get the graphics to reappear but they refuse to show up in quantities (despite being strategic resources now). At this point I'm willing to wait until the next update to ExCE in case the bug with the resources multiplying is affecting things (in that I can either get them to graphically appear but not in quantity or they appear in quantity but without graphics). I'm sorry, was this what you meant when you said it would be too hard? I thought you meant the unit requirements......

The thing is that 90% of my modded games are Tribe-less. I will re-download the mod, maybe that will fix it.
What map size do you play? I had never seen them on small maps, but on standard they appeared. Since my current laptop can't really handle standard, I'll have to wait to enjoy them until I get a new laptop.

I'll bump up the chance of a Tribe appearing in either case. I'm preparing an update for ExCE, and will probably finish after I've updated my Dynamic Top Panel (hopefully it won't be too much of an imposition on anyone other than myself, though it may only be the Piety on that I need to update). This'll include several new Tribes (thanks to Sukritact and DJSHenninger) and a bunch of bug fixes. I'll also discuss my plans for Colonies thereafter, as I believe the entire 'Loyalty' mechanic shall be shifted to a Sovereignty thing, and whether or not Loyalty itself remains (or is superseded by your Sovereignty) is yet to be seen.

I thought that the chances were somewhat dependent on resource settings...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom