Extra Traits for C2C

I was curious, if I was to delete progressive (trait), would this break people's saves?

It may not technically make saves unloadable, but it will ruin the game for any leaders with that trait unless you give them a replacement.

Edit: And you would need to tell me before you do this so I can change my traits to be compatable.

I've planned some additional tags to help develop the Progressist trait so if you simply adjust it (maybe even give it's current incarnation a tech prereq) but give it no further 'tiers' at this point, then we can get around the need for much further devel on it at the moment.

By giving it a tech prereq, there's no obsoletion check on traits so it shouldn't harm current games if a leader has it already - just keep others from being able to obtain it until the tech is achieved.

When I first really evaluated, on 'paper' as it were, the Progressist trait, it struck me as superflous. But since then I've seen the effect of the upgrade anywhere ability in play and have been inspired to find other ways to continue this train of thought. Tags to do so are still pending further devel though.

Sounds like you wouldn't want it do go. Thats cool.

As you know I think their are slightly too many traits. If one was to get the 'arse' as we say down under, progressist would be first in line to the chopping block imo. All good though.

Sounds like you wouldn't want it do go. Thats cool.

As you know I think their are slightly too many traits. If one was to get the 'arse' as we say down under, progressist would be first in line to the chopping block imo. All good though.

Really,:dunno: this is what it said for your Country:

Australia

In the past few years, the term "progressive" has been used in Australia to refer to what used to be called "The Third Way." The term is popular in Australia, and it is often used in place of "social liberal." The term "liberalism" has become associated with free markets and small government; in other words "classical liberalism." Progressivism is used to differentiate between the two-party political system of the classical-economic liberal Liberal Party and the protectionist-working class Labor Party.

The Australian Greens represent the third largest political party in the country, polling around 12% with 9 senators and one newly elected member of the Australian House of Representatives (elected in the 2010 Australian federal election). The party espouses progressive ideologies, together with grassroots democracy and participatory democracy.

Really,:dunno: this is what it said for your Country:

Australia

In the past few years, the term "progressive" has been used in Australia to refer to what used to be called "The Third Way." The term is popular in Australia, and it is often used in place of "social liberal." The term "liberalism" has become associated with free markets and small government; in other words "classical liberalism." Progressivism is used to differentiate between the two-party political system of the classical-economic liberal Liberal Party and the protectionist-working class Labor Party.

The Australian Greens represent the third largest political party in the country, polling around 12% with 9 senators and one newly elected member of the Australian House of Representatives (elected in the 2010 Australian federal election). The party espouses progressive ideologies, together with grassroots democracy and participatory democracy.

I'm confused, what are you talking about? (apart from politics obviously ;))

Are you saying that this trait should stay because its relevant - as exampled in current Australian politics? :confused:

It's a snippet of what you get when you look up Progressist on wikipedia.

I understand where you're coming from. I don't think it'd be a bad idea though to have a trait set focused on cheapening and expanding the utility of upgrades but as I said it'll take a bit of work on some new tags to flesh it out. So putting it a bit of a futuristic purgatory for now works just fine for me.

I'm confused, what are you talking about? (apart from politics obviously ;))

Are you saying that this trait should stay because its relevant - as exampled in current Australian politics? :confused:

It's a snippet of what you get when you look up Progressist on wikipedia.

I understand where you're coming from. I don't think it'd be a bad idea though to have a trait set focused on cheapening and expanding the utility of upgrades but as I said it'll take a bit of work on some new tags to flesh it out. So putting it a bit of a futuristic purgatory for now works just fine for me.

Nah, lets get rid of it.:p

Just wanted to jot down a couple of ideas for an upcoming trait tweak. Also wanted to say that http://www.ninc.at/de/blog/civilization-4-bts-caveman2cosmos-mod-32-leaderheads-and-traits.html is really cool!

• Organized - +10%:gold: in capital to +20%
  • Humanitarian - change -crime to -disease
  • Isolationist - an extra 5% :hammers:
  • Anti-clerical - change % based free units to a solid number. So from +8 to like 22.
  • Scientific - +25% war wariness instead of 20
  • Temperamental - change to -1 xp instead of -2
  • Excessive - +15% xp needed for promo up from 10
  • Barbaric - 2 free xp for new units, xtra 1 crime, -25% culture instead of 10 but no great people penalty.
  • Industrious - add +disease and but also some sort of bonus thats relevant early game, +4 :hammers: from the prehistoric quarry type improvements is what i'm thinking.

Any suggestions welcome.

Ended up implementing all of these today pretty much to the letter except for a couple of small additions. Industrious is +3 :hammers: for the prehistoric quarry, +5 :hammers: for quarry [ By the way I loaded my game as Curtin{Industrious} and I have stone and clay near capital and boy o boy this bonus is nice! Especially with the already +1 :hammers: from tiles that have 7, the clay was producing 13 :hammers: a turn that's before my city even adds the production modifiers, such as +50% for building horseman +25% for military units.:eek: Might end up reducing this bonus to 2:hammers: & 4:hammers: i'll wait and see. Gave nomad another dog promotion ;) and tweaked some of the property stuff including changing humanitarian to - disease etc.

My next tweak will be an introduction of some of the new new tags that thunderbrd implemented, didn't do them today coz i'm just getting back into the swing of things, been awhile.

Humanitarian trait effect on disease rate is weird in SVN. I have 55(+4) disease rate, next turn it's, 51(-4), then 55(+4) and so on. It seem to fluctuate endlessly.

Humanitarian trait effect on disease rate is weird in SVN. I have 55(+4) disease rate, next turn it's, 51(-4), then 55(+4) and so on. It seem to fluctuate endlessly.

Humanitarian gives -6 disease when disease = 2* population.

That should explain the fluctuation, in that you will not always have -6 disease unless there is enough disease to warrant it.

That should explain the fluctuation, in that you will not always have -6 disease unless there is enough disease to warrant it.

Yes, it explains fluctuations but what I meant was that it shouldn't work this way. Every turn several diseases vanish from city and it becomes healthy and every other turn they return back.

I like this better than lets say a flat -6 disease where disease will fall for 100's of turns before any +disease becomes available. Also in terms of realism and context, I feel like to be humanitarian there is a prerequisite need for relief. In other words, its not preventative - it only exists when there is a need for it.

I like this better than lets say a flat -6 disease where disease will fall for 100's of turns before any +disease becomes available. Also in terms of realism and context, I feel like to be humanitarian there is a prerequisite need for relief. In other words, its not preventative - it only exists when there is a need for it.

Suggested change to mechanic:

instead of:
0 for disease < 50
-6 for disease >= 50

how about:
0 for disease < 50
-(disease-50)/50 for disease > 50

no discontinuity at the threshold. Progressive effect. Obviously would need a DLL change and/or tagging change to support it though.

Suggested change to mechanic:

instead of:
0 for disease < 50
-6 for disease >= 50

how about:
0 for disease < 50
-(disease-50)/50 for disease > 50

no discontinuity at the threshold. Progressive effect. Obviously would need a DLL change and/or tagging change to support it though.

Its currently -6 disease when disease is greater than or equal to population times two. Its not >= 50, your confusing me.

Also math isn't my strong but I think I understand what your suggesting Koshling and I don't think its worth me trying to figure out how to do that via the property xml (only just got my head around what I have implemented), since I don't think its much better than whats already in place.

Its currently -6 disease when disease is greater than or equal to population times two. Its not >= 50, your confusing me.

Also math isn't my strong but I think I understand what your suggesting Koshling and I don't think its worth me trying to figure out how to do that via the property xml (only just got my head around what I have implemented), since I don't think its much better than whats already in place.

Replace '50' with whatever the threshold calculation is. The point is that by making the above-threshold contribution proportional to how much above the threshold it is (rather than how much above 0) you get only very small effects near the threshold, an the tendency to oscillate is removed. However, it probably isn't worthwhile (or at least is low priority) in the grand scheme of things.

Replace '50' with whatever the threshold calculation is. The point is that by making the above-threshold contribution proportional to how much above the threshold it is (rather than how much above 0) you get only very small effects near the threshold, an the tendency to oscillate is removed. However, it probably isn't worthwhile (or at least is low priority) in the grand scheme of things.

I do like the idea Koshling, its just I would have no clue how to do it frankly. Would need AIAndy to give an example of the xml, if its even currently possibly that is.

The traits in C2C are completely unbalanced. I was wondering why some leaders are always far ahead and others always way back. So i started i few games without traits and the AI players are much closer to each other in terms of game score.

I make a few more tests to confirm this.

Yeah, I still have yet to develop out the trait scheme I'd intended to... I had a method by which I was balancing them. Can't say the leaders would all keep the same pace but each would be competitive in differing ways... which is what traits are supposed to do.

Top Bottom