Hello.
I'm having a blast with ExtraModMod. :thumbsup:
I have a side question, though. I've noticed that in FfH2 and its modmods, cultural influence spreads over ocean tiles as far as it does on land (contrary to Vanilla (BTS), where it only spreads to ocean tiles that are adjacent to at least one coastal tile).
I would like to bring this modification to Vanilla. Is it simply doable through XML editing, or does it require more complex modifications?
Thanks in advance.

The angel Herald's ability (tooltip says grants valor, loyalty, courage, and burning blood) doesn't grant burning blood, instead granting Blessed. Is that intended?

a minor issue : barseraph UB hall of mirrors still costs 180 hammers, but already nerfed. i'd reduce it to 100.

I agree, it may be good to reduce its cost, maybe to 120. What do you mean with it being "already nerfed" though? I don't remember any changes made to it, and there is nothing in the changelog either.

Hello.
I'm having a blast with ExtraModMod. :thumbsup:

That's great to hear, I hope you keep enjoying it!

I have a side question, though. I've noticed that in FfH2 and its modmods, cultural influence spreads over ocean tiles as far as it does on land (contrary to Vanilla (BTS), where it only spreads to ocean tiles that are adjacent to at least one coastal tile).
I would like to bring this modification to Vanilla. Is it simply doable through XML editing, or does it require more complex modifications?
Thanks in advance.

To my knowledge this will require modyfing the C++ code of the game, and then recompiling the DLL.

The angel Herald's ability (tooltip says grants valor, loyalty, courage, and burning blood) doesn't grant burning blood, instead granting Blessed. Is that intended?

It's not. Thank you reporting this! I have created a bug report to fix it for the next version.

I just noticed that the shrine of champions gives undocumented +5xp to units created in city. Is that intended?

Also, it seems that the AI and automated workers on the elven sides build mostly (only?) lumbermills on unimproved forest tiles when they can build better improvements. Is this changeable?

I don't remember any changes made to it, and there is nothing in the changelog either.

iirc at FfH this building made illusion from the strongest enemy unit, now is it totally random. Anyway, 180 was too much.

EDIT: Never mind on this one. Seems it was because the Infernal capital wasn't connected to the rest of the world. My excuses are that I didn't notice it because 1. Because it's quite hard to see roads on the broken lands terrain due to the colors blending in. 2. because was infernal and wasn't affected by lack of luxury/health resources. 3. The capital was right at the mouth of a river, but wasn't actually connected to it.
====

I'm playing an infernal game, and in the attached save, Code of law will research next turn, and Lanun will volunteer to be vassals, and Sheelba will capitulate.

After that though, for some reason I can't figure out, I can't demand any resources from them and they show up on the trade advisor as "not connected to trade network", though they should be through roads and coast areas. I have fishing and sailing from researching as Lanun which I started the game as. I established open border policy, and tried making more roads in world editor, but nothing seems to connect them to trade network.

Attachments

• infernal sheelba capitulates next turn, lanun volunteers vassal.CivBeyondSwordSave
    192.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
When invading a city or fort, units boarded onto ships in that city disappear with the ships instead of defending. One turn my enemy lost 15 units on 3 ships in my invasion. Is this intentional?

Also Prophecy of Ragnar seems to offer absolutely nothing to most civs apart from Sheam or those running Overlords. Perhaps the Prophecy mark should function the same way as the stigmata - adding strength equal to a percentage of the AC.

hi Terkhen, I'm not sure I've already reported this but here it goes:

the spells used to upgrade Doviello melee units need a re-evaluation in gold cost to reflect the changes in hammer cost for axemen and battlemasters

I just noticed that the shrine of champions gives undocumented +5xp to units created in city. Is that intended?

To my knowledge that is what "gives a free promotion" means; giving enough XP to guarantee an extra promotion.

Also, it seems that the AI and automated workers on the elven sides build mostly (only?) lumbermills on unimproved forest tiles when they can build better improvements. Is this changeable?

I don't know much about how the AI decides which improvements to build. But bear in mind that if the AI is starved of hammers using lumbermills would be a good idea. To change this you need to delve into the C++ code.

iirc at FfH this building made illusion from the strongest enemy unit, now is it totally random. Anyway, 180 was too much.

120?

EDIT: Never mind on this one. Seems it was because the Infernal capital wasn't connected to the rest of the world. My excuses are that I didn't notice it because 1. Because it's quite hard to see roads on the broken lands terrain due to the colors blending in. 2. because was infernal and wasn't affected by lack of luxury/health resources. 3. The capital was right at the mouth of a river, but wasn't actually connected to it.
====

I'm playing an infernal game, and in the attached save, Code of law will research next turn, and Lanun will volunteer to be vassals, and Sheelba will capitulate.

After that though, for some reason I can't figure out, I can't demand any resources from them and they show up on the trade advisor as "not connected to trade network", though they should be through roads and coast areas. I have fishing and sailing from researching as Lanun which I started the game as. I established open border policy, and tried making more roads in world editor, but nothing seems to connect them to trade network.

Okay, thank you for taking the time of reporting and checking it! :)

When invading a city or fort, units boarded onto ships in that city disappear with the ships instead of defending. One turn my enemy lost 15 units on 3 ships in my invasion. Is this intentional?

I think so; it is not intended for most units loaded in ships to be able to fight back when their ships are attacked, even if those ships are in a city. If I remember correctly, units with water walking can still defend. I guess that the AI should learn to unload those units so they can defend.

Also Prophecy of Ragnar seems to offer absolutely nothing to most civs apart from Sheam or those running Overlords. Perhaps the Prophecy mark should function the same way as the stigmata - adding strength equal to a percentage of the AC.

To my knowledge that has always been the intention with this wonder.

hi Terkhen, I'm not sure I've already reported this but here it goes:

the spells used to upgrade Doviello melee units need a re-evaluation in gold cost to reflect the changes in hammer cost for axemen and battlemasters

Hey! If you did, I must have forgotten to add it to the task list. I have added it now and I will fix this for 0.6.0 :)

Just downloaded this mod a while ago, looks nice. A little bit into my first game, noticed a couple of things. Firstly, there seem to be way too many scorpions in the wild (My heroic scout captured 7-8 before turn 150). Secondly, I got the teleportation event when I explored a barrow. But to my surprise, it wasnt the unit who explored the barrow who got teleported, but the warrior defending my capital (which was far away). Srange.

Update: Yep the number of scorpions around is just insane.

Additionally, something I had taken up with Magister for his modmod (https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/magistermodmod.455111/page-111#post-14234109) (and that he had resolved): the AI is too unwilling to make peace even after you slaughter stacks of their units and take their cities, if only their power rating is higher than yours. Even if they are, asking for one of my cities after I've beaten half their army and taken two of their cities is just annoying.

To my knowledge that is what "gives a free promotion" means; giving enough XP to guarantee an extra promotion.

It's +5xp in addition to the free promotion. So without any other xp boost, a new unit would get to lvl 3 and have 3 promotions in total.

More of the shrine of the champion:
1. Tested in vanilla Fall from heaven. Units only got a free promo and no xp there.
2. I tried nerfing the shrine of the champion for my current game (since it feels like cheating) by manually editing the game files. I couldn't find what field gave the +5 free xp, so I tried taking away the free promo by changing the:
<iFreePromotionPick>1</iFreePromotionPick>
Field to 0.
To my surprise, doing that took away both the free promo, and the +5 xp. Turning that field to 1 again, turned both on, confirming that field gives +5xp for some reason.

edit:
for now I made do with making the shrine give Combat II instead (not combat I so aggressive civs don't lose out on a promo), and made combat III require both Combat I and combat II (so most higher tier promos aren't available earlier).

Last edited:
More of the shrine of the champion:
1. Tested in vanilla Fall from heaven. Units only got a free promo and no xp there.
2. I tried nerfing the shrine of the champion for my current game (since it feels like cheating) by manually editing the game files. I couldn't find what field gave the +5 free xp, so I tried taking away the free promo by changing the:
<iFreePromotionPick>1</iFreePromotionPick>
Field to 0.
To my surprise, doing that took away both the free promo, and the +5 xp. Turning that field to 1 again, turned both on, confirming that field gives +5xp for some reason.

Yes, MNAI adds an additional +5 XP for buildings with the FreePromotionPick flag. This is done in CvCity::getProductionExperience (in CvCity.cpp).
The free promotion seems to get added in CvCity::applyBuildEffects.

In other words, in order to change this behaviour back to what it was in vanilla Ffh2, you need to edit the DLL.

The change was made in this commit, the description of which seems to indicate that it was intended to only affect AI decisions. However, getProductionExperience is used in addProductionExperience, which is in turn used in applyBuildEffects.

Last edited:
Had a fairly entertaining MP game with a friend today. I played Calabim, he played Hippus and the rest were Makakhim, Balseraph, Clan, Sheaim and the last was a Svartalfar I never saw I think. Usual settings - small map, quick tech and lakes, but we increased difficulty to monarch this time. Balseraph started right above us and I almost got a heart attack when Loki walked straight into my newly build second city. Fortunately he just caused some unrest but didn't take over the whole city like ususal. But depsite not being the walking autowin-button he used to be he still managed to go three opponents on the nerves, pendling permanently between Malakhim to my left, me in the middle and my friend to the right. It went well until round 120 or so and we managed to fend off Balseraph in a combined effort. Unfortunately, Malakhim and Clan decided to interfere and started a combined assault against me which completely crushed me. :cry:
Well, I was at least partly to blame since I tried a Malovent Design rush by spamming Great Prophets with my Flauros leader. Too bad I got 2 - 3 Great Sages in a row despite having > 75 % chances for Great Prophets and only the Prophets were able to rush the research. I think I might have a serious discussion with the random number generator about probability later. :gripe:
But I really like the tech tree adjustments for the religions. And the AI's were even more nasty than last time. It's really hard to get an advantage over them in the higher difficulty levels. They rush iron and on the other hand try nasty sneak attacks to destroy your copper mine.

Weaknesses were the same two like last time: We got one OOS error past round 100 again, but it wasn't that bad since it was just one and it's always to save and reload the game. I attached an auto save 1 - 2 rounds before it. Maybe it helps.
The other problem were the barbarians again. We had a closer look at them this time and before round 50 they acted strangely passive. In round 11 or 12 a skeleton was able to invade an empty city standing next to it but didn't do it. It might have been a lair guard or so which would explain it since I think it was a burrow next to a city. But the worse thing is that barbarians in general neither attacked any cities, nor went for workers or plundered any tile enhancements. They are just walking around randomly maybe attacking a close unit or so but don't seem to have any plan what to do. It gets better after round 50 or so for unknown reasons, but before that they are worse overall than in version ~3.1 of the mod where they were just reliably attacking the closest city. I could understand a non-aggression phase in the first 10 turns maybe, but 50 turns is a bit much.
Anyway, apart from the barbarian problems it was a really fun game, even if it was lost. :rolleyes:

Just curious, I guess there are no plans to maybe include some of the more established civs from some of the other mods like Mazatl or so.

Attachments

• AutoSave_TURN-0112.CivBeyondSwordSave
    171.2 KB · Views: 97
Vicar's (empyrean priests) ability can't be cast for its dispel effects if there's no invisible/hidden nationality units around.

Modifying CvSpellInterface.py so:
def reqRevelation(caster):
if caster.canDispel(gc.getInfoTypeForString('SPELL_DISPEL_MAGIC')):
return True

seems to make the spell usable just for its dispel effect. [I say seems, because I know next to nothing about the scripting language, and I just copied and pasted what seems to be the requirement from the dispel magic spell section.

@Akbarthegreat: Regarding barbarians, I'm developing the BarbsPlus component of this mod so I'm kind of in charge of that, but I'm too busy to do any major development or heavy playtesting until next year. If you are willing to test out small configuration changes too f.e. solve your too-many-scorpions problem, I could of course provide help.

Firstly, there seem to be way too many scorpions in the wild (My heroic scout captured 7-8 before turn 150).
What do you mean exactly? Did many Scorpions populate the map densely? Were the animal density as a whole OK, but there were more Scorpions than other animals? Were there just more scorpions then in vanilla FfH?
Most importantly, did this problem come up in every game you played, or only in one?

Secondly, I got the teleportation event when I explored a barrow. But to my surprise, it wasnt the unit who explored the barrow who got teleported, but the warrior defending my capital (which was far away). Srange.
Noted, thanks for the report!

The other problem were the barbarians again. We had a closer look at them this time and before round 50 they acted strangely passive. In round 11 or 12 a skeleton was able to invade an empty city standing next to it but didn't do it. It might have been a lair guard or so which would explain it since I think it was a burrow next to a city.
That might have been due to a specific event that spawns a skeleton with defender next to a city.

But the worse thing is that barbarians in general neither attacked any cities, nor went for workers or plundered any tile enhancements. They are just walking around randomly maybe attacking a close unit or so but don't seem to have any plan what to do. It gets better after round 50 or so for unknown reasons, but before that they are worse overall than in version ~3.1 of the mod where they were just reliably attacking the closest city. I could understand a non-aggression phase in the first 10 turns maybe, but 50 turns is a bit much.

I noticed a somewhat reduced barbarian aggressiveness too. I have to check the 50 turn thing you mentioned (it's not intended). It would be great if you could report whether the problem returns in your next game.

What do you mean exactly? Did many Scorpions populate the map densely? Were the animal density as a whole OK, but there were more Scorpions than other animals? Were there just more scorpions then in vanilla FfH?
Most importantly, did this problem come up in every game you played, or only in one?

The latter, i.e more scorpions than other animals. This I think is because the probability of getting scorpions from lairs seems rather high (Not sure which file I can look in to confirm this).
I've noticed this in 2-3 games.

That might have been due to a specific event that spawns a skeleton with defender next to a city.

That's what I would bet on; the skeleton spawned in that event is held.

Top Bottom