1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Factions You'd Like to See

Discussion in 'CivBE - Ideas and Suggestions' started by tecumseh23, Jun 1, 2014.

1. tecumseh23

tecumseh23 Chieftain

Well good, cause that's pretty much what I was going for. ;)

First, guys lay off Orikos. Second, Orikos, they're right. A space mission will typically not be made of random bystanders; getting on a ship isn't a first-come-first-serve kinda thing. The colonists would be a handpicked group with specific skills. Even with my crazy Eighth Fire guys, who don't have the same resources as the big nations, the leader Crow would still bring along only his best people.

That said, the idea of people going on a journey through space because of a billboard ad sounds to me like an interesting idea, though I suppose not in the way you were thinking. I'm thinking of a con-artist who tricks a bunch of vacationers to leave on a space ship, promising that it would be "perfectly safe" and that facilities had already been set up for them on the planet by an advance flight. Well, either the con-artist lied (which, you know, con-artists do) or there'd been a mistake, because when the ship arrived, the planet was a wilderness. So now there's a thousand or so tourists stranded on Alpha Centauri. Oops.

Should never be in the base game, but a lost tourist civ would make for a fun mod. :lol:

2. A Bucket O Spam

A Bucket O Spam Chieftain

Great job with the faction idea tecumseh! I hope that someone creates a mod at least out of this.

3. CleverFool

CleverFool Chieftain

If there's one thing we can all agree on, it's that Civ:BE needs more Space Pope!

4. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

I hope there was at least one. :(

5. orikos

orikos Praetorian from Orikosia

OK, I undersood it sounds stupid and now I feel you're right.

So, what about scandinavia?

Maybe a community of freak neo-vikings from Iceland that conquered scandinavia and they used all the money of the countries to build giant spaceship because they want to find another realms and to rul Valahala (just kidding) ?

6. awesome

awesome Chieftain

Eh, i could actually see that working. They could say that the Great Mistake is the beginning of Ragnarok and their ancestors were right.

7. mabalogna

mabalogna Chieftain

I've always wanted to play my home nation, and in this future I imagine Canada emerges from a secondary power, to a global power rivaling America due to is size, global positioning, and abundant resources. So I present to you my fantasy future faction:

The Great North Confederation

Principal Nations:
    *Canada
    *Annexed Alaska
    *Greenland
    *Iceland
    *Scandinavia
    *Northern Russian territories

Leader
    For giggles I'd make the leader a Trudeau descendant

Strength
    +Commerce +Industry +Diplomacy
    Weakness
    -Mlitary -Religion -Culture

Pre-Great Mistake
    Many events prior to the Great Mistake helped make room for the confederacy of Canada to brush aside her former masters and emerge a truly independent regional power. The first opportunity came from the weakening and eventual collapse of the former Empire of the USA. As time went on in the 21st century, the once mighty USA had lost much of its imperial authority over the world; China in Asia, Brazil in South America, the African Union, and the Arab League all began rejecting American imperialism. This loss of influence sent America on a downward spiral into its first ever dark-age as the imperial USA had become excessively dependent on foreign imports to sustain both its military and its people. The dark age of America left the population fighting over what little resources were available, things like food, fuel, electricity, and clean water became scarce and the entire nation erupted in civil war - eventually leading to the cessation of the United States. With their neighbor in disarray, the stable confederacy of Canada began a long, peaceful, campaign of solidifying its hold over the North of the Americas. Because of its distance from the rest of the states, Alaska was easily annexed peacefully into the confederacy, and the North West Passage was declared Canadian Territory; with rising climate temperatures the northern sea lanes became lucrative trade lanes to own. The second major opportunity came from the great migration that had begun to occur from the south to the north. A combination of climate change creating desertification in the south, and the civil unrest throughout the former United States caused many refugees to migrate to the US/Canada border. This influx in population brought a lot of people from all walks of life into the Great White North; many of these people fleeing the south were of the intelligent caste – doctors, engineers, scientists, skilled labor, etc. – all looking for peace and security. The final great opportunity that came, was the Great Mistake itself.
    The Great Mistake
    Not much can be said about this period except that all the great powers that now found themselves free from American Imperialism all began acting in reckless ways eventually leading to their own destruction in the Great Mistake. Of particular interest to Canada in this period was Russia; the other great empire from the 20th century which emerged in the fiercest way after America’s decline. To keep it brief – Russian expansionists sought out to regain former USSR territories and began aggressively annexing eastern European and central Asian territories. For decades this happened up until the Great Mistake tore Russia apart from the inside out. The wide spread nation was unable to maintain itself after the Great Mistake happened, civil unrest from all corners literally tore the country up leaving the once glorious Mother Russia into a decentralized mess of small states.
    After the events of the Great Mistake a few regional powers managed to maintain stability, Canada being one of them.
    Post-Great Mistake
    As the world stabilizes once again, former empires change, while new ones emerge. Canada having already annexed Alaska now seeks to control the entire Arctic circle and the shipping lanes that go with it. The former Russian empire that had been torn asunder during the Great Mistake was slowly gobbled up by her neighbours. In the east, the Pan-Asian Cooperative integrates parts of eastern Russia, while in the west the Slavic Federation move into the Crimean region and up to Moscow, leaving the northern regions vulnerable, and open to Canadian interests. Being vulnerable to invasion from PAC and the Slavic Fed. the various independent Northern Russian states met with a Canadian delegation and joined the confederation (the Russian nationalist were not interested in being persecuted by their Slavic enemies, or enslaved into PAC, thus they accepted integration and relative autonomy within The Great North). This amalgamation of northern nations caught the attention of the remaining Northerners - Norway, Sweden, Finland, Greenland, and Iceland. It didn't take much for the Scandinavia, Greenland or Iceland to join - seeing the economic and strategic benefits of monopolizing the Arctic circle they all agreed to create one confederated nation under the banner of the Great North.

*As time had passed since forming the confederacy the Great North has built a North Pole trading station - a massive floating city where all northern trade flows through solidifying their grip over northern trade. The North Pole trade city also becomes the central seat of power for the confederacy where all participating provinces meet -
    *Currently the confederacy is working on a massive engineering project to connect a mag-lev train line from each nation into the North Pole.
    *The Great North has also maintained its peaceful intentions throughout the world, and never misses a chance of reminding her rivals of the past mistakes made. The abundant resources, and the newly thawed fertile ground has made the Great North one of the biggest suppliers raw resources to the rest of the world.

*I really hope Canada isn't included in ARC - I think it would be really cool if the devs left Canada alone for possible expansions*

8. Krajzen

Krajzen Warlord

Mabalogna - pretty cool idea :D

To be honest I would include here also British Isles as currently they don't fit any other faction and eventually can fit 'northern' group :D

Ok, now my idea

1) It obviously won't appear in game :D
    2) I would love to see something like that as a mod
    3) I am aware it is... controversial material but hey, we had similar mods for Civ4/5 and they were very popular :D and I was really trying to make it as morally ambiguous as I could :crazyeye:
    4) It is completely unrealistic although I was trying to make it as little unrealistic as I could :D but hey the entire plot of BE is not 100% realistic right? :crazyeye:

The Valkyrian Reich

Leader - Captain Werner Stauffenberg

Advantages - Military, Infrastructure, Health, Science
    Disadvantages - Diplomacy, Religion, Culture

Countless crazy conspiracy theories around infamous Third Reich have gain popularity, but not even one of them was close to insane truth. The megalomania of Nazi regime... allowed this superpower on travel beyond Earth.

Third Reich was the most developed country in terms of rocket technology - and there were two insane men required for this plan to success: Adolf Hitler and Ernest Zimmerman. Zimmerman, the genius whose intellect was surpassed only by his arrogance, promised his Fuhrer that Aryan will be the first nation in space - and he has been already spending his entire life on the Valkyria Project. Hitler, fascinated by the vision of Nazi Sonnmarine, sacrificed billions of dollars and giant effort on this true Wunderwaffe; this is where all legends about Nazi treasury and secret space programs were going to end.

The Valkyria was the world's first spaceship, created in the era when constructing such things was beyond impossibility, the spaceship created via infinite hubris and true genius. However since 1943 when the end seemed to be inevitable, Hitler decided that German Gods sent him Zimmerman to save the Aryan race via Space Exodus. The true reason of German failure in Second World War was immense effort required to create Valkyria, but it has arisen. One goal - Alpha Centauri. The crew of thousands loyal servants of Fuhrer, the best Nazi scientists, officers of Waffen SS and 'perfect Aryan' colonists. Fully autonomous and designed to reach the stars, the Valkyria flew in 1945, while the death of Hitler was fabricated using his doppelganger.

However... The Great Breakdown has happened. Obvious limitations of 20th century technology exaggerated by Nazi arrogance has lead to mysterious but inevitable breakdown. This, along with total lack of space training of - already remaining in the bad physical shape - Adolf Hitler and science geek Zimmerman caused both of them to die, along with most population of Valkyria. The conditions of primitive space travel caused all elder elites to pass, while the doom of damaged ship seemed to be inevitable. Furthermore, the civil war has erupted, between two factions of survivors:
    The Legion, consisting of the remaining fanatical followers of Nazi ideology and Waffen SS and
    The Old Guard, consisting of the remaining conservatists, followers of Prussian traditions, Christian soldiers and people who fought in WWII for Deutschland, not Fuhrer. Bloody war in the extreme conditions decimated the remaining population, until finally it was forced to coexist in order to survive in the cold vacuum of space...

Somehow, people Valkyria didn't extinct. The Great Breakdown has killed all military and Nazi elites and all people too old, weak or stupid to survive - this was cruel irony, regarding Nazi views on 'natural selection'. Many souls were lost due to suicides of people terrified by the isolation in space. However, the following Civil War has killed also the most passionate soldiers from both sides. What was left?
    The strongest people forced to cooperate in order to survive.
    And thus, the Eternal Reich was born. The Great Breakdown didn't annihilate most of vital systems of primitive starship, allowing on feeding remaining population. Only the strongest people survived and started organizing the life of their space society. Without their leaders they soon abandoned most of the fanatical visions of their Fuhrer, without any communication with Earth they developed their own culture. The surviving scientific elite managed to conserve and develop technology in entirely different way...

During next three hundred years generations of people were born and dying on board of Valkyria, while becoming less and less similar to people on Earth. The situation and organisation of New Reich society forced these people to become - ironically - the pinnacle of humans in terms of physical strenght, intellect and iron will. The people of Valkyria didn't develop Internet but their knowledge on space travel, human body and subconsiousness, genetics and social engineering was far bigger than knowledge of Earth civilization in these areas. Eventually the progress of Valkyrian genetics allowed Valkyrians on discovering shocking truth... The Jewish blood was in veins of all Valkyrians.

Finally, the Valkyria led by young Captain Werner Stauffenberg has arrived on the new planet. Valkyrian Reich doesn't know about Earth Space Colonization, and Earth doesn't know about forgotten descendants of Nazi insanity. These are the people who don't know anything about Holocaust but highly value their vision of nazism - while they don't know about the grimdark legend of this ideology. These people who became experts of space survival but don't know anything about building true society, who know so much about human body and so little about humanity...

Are they going to attempt building next totalitarian, militaristic empire? Achieve the pinnacle of human evolution and expiate? Discoveir their humanity again? Or maybe even, paradoxically, build utopia?

The future awaits.

9. altayrneto

altayrneto Chieftain

It remembers me the movie Iron Sky...
    Spoiler :

10. tecumseh23

tecumseh23 Chieftain

Krajzen--I like it, especially all the ironies. They got to be the master race after all...but they're all part jewish, muhahaha! :mwaha:

Interesting how they've been separated from events on earth, makes them a very unique civ.

11. Krajzen

Krajzen Warlord

The Jewish part is not necessarily a fiction as

1) Don't remember exact genetical research but 'supreme' German people genetically are ~~~closer to 'inferior' Jews than 'inferior' Slavs ~~~ 'inferior' Jews :D

2) There are many things hinting that Hitler had Jewish blood in his veins :D

On the other hand I think that Valkyrian Reich first contact with American Reclamation Corporation led by black - skinned Hispanic woman would be hilarious as hell :lol:
    Not to mention African faction.
    I like the flexibility of Valkyrian Reich, I mean, you can turn them into 'nazi space evil army lol' or 'well, true pinnacle of humanity' ;)

12. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

Yeah, this is basically the plot to Iron Sky. That's part of the reason I like it.

Nothing more absurd about Moon Nazis.

13. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

So far two of these civs have made it into the game via mods :)

Bring on Valkyria and The Eighth Fire!

14. Lglenhaber

Lglenhaber Chieftain

The lunar empire

The independent nation that rebelled against earth early great mistake, and foresaw the destruction of the earth

Because of not having the constrains of the atmosphere, the lunar empire could bring more along. Because of its past history, the Lunar Empire is experienced with being on a new world, and with the infrastructure. However, they have not been in close contact with the world very much, and do not feel the need of a military and cannot handle diplomacy well.
    Strengths: Infrastructure, Commerce, Health
    Weaknesses: Military, Diplomacy, Science
    UU: Can bring extra cargo, and starts with a few of the resource pods

Also maybe a shipping company that had the money to become its own sponsor?

15. T Glenhaber

T Glenhaber Chieftain

Sponsor Spacebook -- It's Facebook, but for space!
    Leader Future Mark Zuckerberg
    UA: Globalization Cities gain a bonus(5%?) working on developments (Agricultural, cultural, industrial, research) per other city in your empire working on it. Additionally, you gain the Facebook wonder. See:
    Back story Post-Great Mistake, Facebook became one of the only mediums for communication. It quickly grew power and influence, especially after brokering the ARC-Brasilia peace traty and brokering the contract which incorporated Malaysia into Polystralia. Eventually, when Facebook saw that everyone else was going up and settleng a new world, they forged some papers and got a spaceship. After lifting off, the company renamed themselves Spacebook and went to settle the far-away reaches of space.

16. Couch Tomato

Couch Tomato First Tomato Emperor

Phoenix Corporation

Capital: Shinkyo
    Leader: Yashiro Tsukishima
    Earth Regions: Japan and Korea
    Sponsor Backstory: Once one of the leading economic superpowers, Japan was arguably devastated more significantly than most developed countries by the Great Mistake. Drastically hostile climate changes and violent weather patterns battered the eastern coast of Japan (including Tokyo), which forced many of the surviving citizens into refugee into the west. However, because the displacement was so large, many were actually accepted into Korea nearby, which was relatively insulated from the damages of the Great Mistake.

The Great Mistake caused a collapse in the Japanese economy, and many of the companies went bankrupt. What managed to survive was what was as the time the most powerful electronics and robotics corporation, Morita. Morita promptly absorbed the remnants of the remaining industries in Japan and consolidated its power base in Fukuoka, Japan.

Meanwhile, the large Japanese refugee population in Korea led to a changing a climate between the historically frosty neighbors. The collapse of the Japanese government and many of its leaders, the open hospitality of the Koreans, and the forced interaction actually led to a large rapprochement that was largely unexpected. This, in turn, led to a widescale corporation between the large Korean corporations and the surviving Japanese corporations.

One of the competitive Korean electronics companies, TKE, sought opportunity in the vulnerable and tattered Japanese economy, where others saw huge risk. Within a few years, TKE and Morita formed a merger and rebranded itself as Phoenix Corporation to symbolize the rebirth of a nation burnt by disaster. Phoenix swiftly became the dominant corporation in Korea and Japan, with its success being reminiscent of electronics giants of the two countries' past. and managed to spread its influence globally to even compete with the ARC.

The timing of another space exploration projects was no coincidence for Phoenix. It saw this is as an opportunity to to invest in the future. A large portion of the investment would also be to relieve the enormous burden from the large amount of Japanese refugees. A combination of entrepreneurs, adventurers, and many Japanese refugees formed the core of what was to be Phoenix's greatest undertaking.

Leader Backstory: Yashiro Tsukishima was born in Seoul, Korea and was the fourth son of Naohiro Tsukishima, the CEO of Morita, and a Korean mother. His mother was actually the second wife of Naohiro after a violent divorce with the first. Being the fourth son, Yashiro was not expected to succeed his father's role as CEO. Especially being born to a different mother, he lived his life a lot more carefree than his older brothers, often indulging himself with reading history or playing video games. He later graduated at the top of his class from Seoul National University with a major in East Asian History and was planning on becoming a history of professor.

That all changed shortly after graduation. Remnant yakuza gangs, frustrated by recent Morita incursions into their lifestyle in Japan, arranged an attack on the CEO's family in Japan. Naohiro's three sons were all mortally injured, and Naohiro himself was crippled by the attack. With his abilities to lead the company now limited, he turned to Yashiro in Korea, and after a heated argument, forced his fourth son to enter the business world.

Despite not being groomed for business, Yashiro proved to be an extremely shrewd executive. He utilized many of lessons learned from history, but also had an uncanny genius that was overlooked by his father. Despite protests by his father, who was hospitalized as he took over as CEO, he used his connections with Korea and organized a merger with TKE, and consequently became the CEO of the new Phoenix Corporation.

Unlike his father, he was not that closely tied to his Japan. However, he did respect his roots and had tremendous empathy for the Japanese refugees. More importantly, he saw the global push for interstellar colonization and recognized the economic value of sending many refugees into space. But most importantly for Yashiro was the ideal of building a new nation from its ashes, one that would prevent itself from making the mistakes of the past, and one that would mix in the fantasies of his childhood games and stories. With that idealism still intact, he chose to lead the pioneering expedition himself as he already had little interest in continuing as a CEO.

Unique Ability: Either something to do with manufacturing or economy -- as Phoenix focuses heavily on that. AI-wise, given the more careful nature of its leader, Phoenix is more pacifist and tends not to be aggressive, but does build up significantly for defense.

17. LORD ORION

LORD ORION Chieftain

The Mer Brits launched from underwater domes in the fabled lost city of London. Their cloned leader, Margret Thatcher the Second, will lead them to victory.

18. Packherd2

Packherd2 Chieftain

I'm surprised I haven't seen this yet:

Neo-Aztec Empire
    Leader: Juan-Carlos IV, de Moctezuma

Description: Utopian successor state to the United Mexican States, fascinated with restoration of the Aztec hegemony.

Unique Ability: Experimental Subjects – gain science from unit kills

19. gyrobot

gyrobot Chieftain

If the Northern Europeans should become a sponsor nation they should have become like the Naut Pirates except with much more organization and unity. Their claim to fame is that they produced the finest spacer crews from their maritime traditions. Acting as traders, pilots and pirates they held an undisputed claim of transporting the space minerals required for the seeding effort.

Ability wise they can use their orbital coverage to instantly ferry units upon researching a space related tech.

20. s0nny80y

s0nny80y Chieftain

The North and South American State i.e. the NSA State