Factions You'd Like to See

So, just based on the idea of what is left over or unclaimed by the others, it would leave (as others have mentioned earlier in this thread):

ANTARCTICA -- a large resource-rich landmass once the icecap is gone
THE LEVANT AND MIDDLE EAST -- don't forget the large seaports are underwater or protected by seawalls of some sort
CANADA -- global warming would make this the new breadbasket of the continent, comparable to today's Great Plains/American MidWest.
CENTRAL AMERICA AND MEXICO -- the loss of California would make the Sierra Madre Riviera in a good position for commerce that would rival Port Phoenix (whose traffic must pass through sometimes-contested coastal waters); the Panama Canal has lost its significance
SIBERIA/THE 'KUTSKS -- as with Canada, the loss of permafrost opens up new areas of food production, and the oilfields are more easily accessible without all that weather only a reindeer would love
THE SCANDINAVIAN INSULA -- the bloc of Norway/Sweden/Finland is still a force to be reckoned with

And, unless I misread the Civilopedia, there are several other options:

1. It's unclear if southern Africa is part of the African Union. It specifies the sub-Saharan nations, but since the leader is African (Black), and not White, the question is left undecided. Not that South Africa would never have a Black leader, but I mean if there were some White guy in charge of the African Union, you could presume South Africa was onboard, yes?

2. The American Reclamation Corporation does not necessarily control all of the former (or present) United States. The division, if there were one, would not necessarily be North and South, as in former times. (A CivIII mod I was working on postulates an East-West split.). Some portion of the United States could be part of some coalition of the Yukon and western provinces.

3A. Although Hindu-Muslim syncretism exists in (present-day) India, there could still be a fundamentalism element of Islam unwilling to join hands with Buddhists and Hindus in Kavithan solidarity. Whether they would exist in the Levant and Middle East or elsewhere on the subcontinent is left up in the air, although a marginalized Indian minority would not have the wherewithal to lead a Seeding expedition, so much as join one organized by another likeminded entity. (Anyone see the Riddick movies? Islam is alive and well in the far future of those motion pictures.)

3B. A marginalized Indian minority may cast off its differences with former adversaries and join Aryanistan -- a confederation of Iran, Pakistan, and Afghanistan with a name every bit as inventive as the ridiculous-sounding Polystralia. Whether Aryanistan is in alliance or direct competition with their neighbors to the west remains undecided. The Sunni-Shia thing would have to be worked out, since it's religion binding these factions together.

4. Presuming the PanAsian Cooperative is united by a common Sino-Tibetan language, perhaps there is a Mongolian element not part of this Cooperative. They would control the area east of the Ural Mountains. (As a side note, it appears that a large proportion of Turkic and Japanese speakers are no longer available for comment, unless they exist on Atolls hearing stories of Dry Land while avoiding occasional raids by jetski pirates known as Smokers).

5. Presuming Brasilia is in charge of largely Brazil and Argentina, it could leave the northern and northwestern coast open to form the Bolivarian Republics. There's quite a bit of water where the Amazon Basin used to be, so it provides a natural geopolitical boundary. If the region reinvented itself into a tourist/gambling/banking enterprise akin to present-day Monaco and the Rivieras of Mediterranean Europe, and became the co-owners of the Gatun Strait (former Panama Canal) for transoceanic shipping, conceivably the region could fund a Seeding expedition.

You can also have companies, such ads a trading empire that controles many major ports, but not any land

We'll if you consider that a civilization could come from a civ V game you could have anybody that being said I'd want to see the Aztecs(augmented space Montezuma) and maybe the Earth civilization(if someone won a diplomatic victory but then had to go beyond earth).

Khanasaurus, I see what you're getting at. It's kind of like the setting for Starcraft, where you had some space colonists set up shop in the Kaprulu(?) sector, on planets like the Kel-Morian Combine and Korhal(?), and then one day the United Earth Directorate arrives to take over. Something similar could happen with the Seeding, and then, like you said, the united Earth government enters the picture. It would make the most sense -- then again, perhaps not -- if the Earthlings arrive late in the game after the others have established a good deal of their territories.

Yeah, I like that.

I think this would make a good basis for the progenitor faction if it ties to XCOM like BNW...

Spoiler :
The Progenitors were the first race to merge with the Ethereals, from a primitive race which barely could harness fire in their pristine eden world. The planetmind did it's best to care for the progenitors in this simple existence, but the race never saw it's potential until the Ethereal arrived. The Ethereal merged with the mind, teaching it and through it gave the Progenitors purpose. They learned, the developed, they became a society guided by the Ethereal touched planetmind. Soon the race expanded beyond the stars, uplifting races to join in the enlightenment.

As we all know, it was never to last...

The Zudj being uplifted by Shamash becomes the Progenitor's undoing. The use the mosaic resulted in the domination of lesser races that the Progenitors have brought under their protective wing, the Progenitors soon found themselves in conflict with the Zudj empire in a fight for survival. The children races of the Progenitors were either annihilated or enslaved, some of the Ethereals that joined the Progenitors as living gods were soon permanently displaced to their physical forms, turning them into zealous figures with little regard for the well being of others from the realization of their mortality. The Zudj/Progenitor conflict left the latter race disunited and in disarray. The progenitors fought and eventually forced the Zudj to look elsewhere (which results in the events of the Bureau) but the scars of war was felt by the survivors. Some blamed the Ethereals for invoking the situation and sough separation from their former benefactors which became the principles of purity, others wanted a more primal state of the planetmind and became supporters of Harmony while others sought to outright enchance themselves through technology and became Supremacy, the divide turned to a vicious three way war that sundered the planets in an epic clash that ended with the near extinction of the Progenitors. Except for one planet which managed to find a delicate medium between the three parties and it sought to end it's flaws through the original planetmind, augmented by technology to teach their children well.

When the contact signal arrived, they realized that another race exists and sending their first starship out to the planets they begin to follow the wishes of the Ethereals once again...

Summary of the Progenitors
-Uplifted by Ethereals, creating a galactic society that experienced unknown age of prosperity
-Ethereals uplifts the Zudj from the Bureau. Shamash becomes enslaved
-Zudj goes on a conquest, among the victims still alive are the Sectoids, other races are not so fortunate.
-Progenitor/Zudj war leaves both sides battered, but Progenitors bore the worst losses with many of them disillusioned with Ethereals
-Progenitor Great Mistake happens, many planets become graveyards for Progenitors
-One planet avoided PGM and develops a new society, content to be a post scarcity society in one planet. However call of adventure begins when contact signal arrives.

I like the idea of not having a place on earth, like the projenetor faction

Maybe you could also have a millionares club, or a martime shiping company

Here is an idea
Gold bay assosiates
Spoiler :
After finding out that the earth would die, many millionares decided that it would be better to pool all of their money, and join the space trip. Buying a ship from the ARC, the millionares then realised that they would need to bring more people, or they would not have enough people for a city. So, they held a competition so they would only bring the best, and of course, the richest. Leaving for space the week before the last ship sent, the Gold bay associates become the first privatley funded group to leave the solar system. They are quite good economy wise, but they do not fully understand the concept of infestructure. The idea of physical labour repulses them

Power: The gold bay asssociates start with 1000 gold, and can gift money. This gift takes 750 gold, and raises relations with the other sponcer

However, the gold bay asosiates grow slowe, and it each citizen gives more unhalth

I had written this a few months ago, before the Rising Tide announcement. I'll probably adjust it once the Expansion is released.

The Wayfinder Initiative are maritime faction founded and based out of the Pacific. They resisted assimilation into the Commonwealth (screw you Hutama). Organized by navigators they developed into one of the leading contributors to the protection, reconstruction, and economic resuscitation of cities spanning the interior of the Pacific Ocean and boundaries of the Pacific Rim alike.

Place of Origin

Much of the world has a misguided view: the ocean is not a gap, rather it is a connection. This is one of the Wayfinder Initiatives mantras. Even prior to the Great Mistake, naval trade was growing increasingly difficult. Solar storms would consistently knock out satellite communication rendering GPS useless. Simultaneously, compasses were becoming similarly unreliable due to the reversal of the magnetic field. Dependable navigation was under serious demand, thus a Pan-Pacific organization, the “Wayfinder Guild” was founded. An independent group of navigators and shipwrights that reintegrated traditional pacific nautical technologies and retaught techniques of celestial navigation. However the Earth’s systems undergoing changes due to the Great Mistake, virtually all of the world’s coastal and island cities were at risk. Climatic conditions were shifting resulting in stronger storms and drastically altered rainfall patterns. Rising sea levels were destroying docks and piers. The oceanic connections that the Wayfinders thrived on were under threat, not to mention the wellbeing of their various homelands. It was then decided that it was up to them do something. They began recruiting ecologist, botanists, marine biologists, engineers, anyone willing to help rebuild and protect.

Expanding Connections

Renaming themselves “The Wayfinder Initiative” they based themselves in the Hawaiian Archipelago, then implemented a series of sophisticated aquatic structures: Hydro-Scapes, Manufactory Piers, Buoyant Farms and Gardens, Artificially Engineered Reefs, Pseudo-Levies and Reverse Osmotic Pods. All of these projects allowed the places in which they were built to become predominantly resource independent; not cripplingly reliant on imports for the sake of survival. Shipping in only building materials and goods that could not be produced locally. Trade was still valuable, but now it allowed for specialty goods, luxuries, and culture to be exchanged. The Wayfinders had established a vast series of connections and had become the leading pioneer of artificial land and aquatic city-building. The world had been watching and stood in awe at the large degree of influence and support the Initiative had accrued throughout the entire ocean. The Initiative was given an invitation to join the Commonwealth of the Pacific and while the Commonwealth did indeed work toward restoring the ecology of the Indo-Pacific, it was clear that many of their leaders were in it for the money, not for the actual preservation. The Initiative resisted the enormous pull of Polystralia, politely refusing and resumed its work.

A New Voyage

However the Initiative’s aquatic sanctuaries could only do so much to stave off the damage caused by the rapid and catastrophic changes that had occurred in the Earth’s systems. And the world began planning a project: A voyage into the stars. The Wayfinders, heavily steeped in a tradition of exploration and navigation, could not pass up an opportunity like this. Pooling together the sum of their wealth, their vast network of connections and widespread influence, the Wayfinder Initiative managed to secure enough resources to conduct its own expeditions within the Seeding project. Now, they stand at the same point as their ancestors had once stood. The Wayfinders voyage off to new lands filled with promise and they are eager to explore it.

Currently their specialization is -

Oceanic Heritage: Start with Planetary Survey. Trade routes grant Culture and Production to their home city upon completion. Revealing tiles grants Culture. Explorers and Naval Military Units gain +1 Movement / +1 Vision / +1 Vision. May make planetfall in water if able.

I had the feeling after downloading a mod for Civ Beyond earth that made the ocean lava, that I was playing in destiny on Venus. Google it, looks exactly like Venus from destiny. so that made me rename all my cities to locations from venus on destiny for instance, my capital being named "Vault of Glass". That made me want to have destiny Factions. one for every enemy, the vex, the Hive, the Fallen, the cabal, and maybe the earth factions such as new monarchy etc? I don't know what kind of abilities these 'sponsers' could have. (making these on the spot)

Vex: +1 health for every supremacy affinity point you've obtained. every 3 supremacy affinity points increases combat strength against aliens by 10%

Hive: Military production is increased by 5% for every militarism social policy. all units begin with an extra promotion.

Fallen:Killing enemies gives you 200% of their combat strength in gold.

Cabal: +20% production in cities that are near or in deserts.

someone with more knowledge of Destiny lore could make better and more fitting for these really cool enemies. I really wish that civ beyond earth had unique units like civ 5. that way it would be possible to add the different classes of these enemies. such as phogarth, the unchained. to replace some late game unit. Maybe this mod would work better for civ 5 but I like the space theme of civ beyond earth because it's more fitting. it doesn't make sense to have the vex on earth, discovering mining and mathematics.

I had a faction idea earlier for a resourceful Mesoamerican and Carribean faction earlier, it's probably the best one I had.

The Golfo Confederacy

Led by Fernán Marquez.

Sponsor Bonus - Resourceful Recovery

Gain Energy whenever an Expedition is completed.

Artifact bonuses are 50% stronger.

Place of Origin

Necessity is the mother of invention, and throughout history challenges and crisis have been met with innovative solutions. This axiom is the bedrock of the Meso-Caribbean Confederacy, an alliance of Mesoamerican and Carribean states. The confederacy formed in response to a wave of unrest and revolution in the trying times of the Great Mistake, and with the help of Brasilian and American peacekeeper and aid forces it effectively stabilized the region. These changes in government brought an era of reform and a sense of cultural unity to the region, giving the confederate government political weight which compensated for its lack of legal authority. The combination of these reforms and trade through the Panama Canal and from the USA and Brasilia made the region prosperous. With these resources, the confederacy invested in its future.

Recovery

Many of the coastal cities of the region were damaged by changes in sea patterns, even after the stabilization of the region no longer necessitated aid corps. To avoid undue ARC influence and control, the confederacy financed the rebuilding and recovery of its coasts, its infrastructure, and even its tourist industry to some extent. These programs developed resourceful engineers with a knack for salvage and creative repairs. The increase in production resulting from the recovery of Meso-Caribbean coastal regions brought further trade, which in turn solidified the confederacy as a sovereign, if minor, power. As a result the Meso-Caribbean Confederacy progressed from an unstable backwater region to a beautiful center of trade and prosperity.

Legacy

This new prosperity and cultural cohesion in the region gave rise to ambitions that were previously unthinkable. Above all, support for a Meso-Carribean seeding effort rose as the inflection point loomed nearer. Life on another world came to be seen as the bright future of humanity by the pro-seeding movement, led by the rags-to-riches businessman Fernán Marquez with his personable wit and ambitious aptitude. Appealing to the various cultural identities of the region, Fernán promised to immortalize their legacy as proud, independent peoples on the new world. Despite his popular rhetoric the confederacy only barely manged to assemble a Seeding ship through a combination of purchasing now unused equipment from other seeding programs and manufacturing what could not be acquired. So with a ship that pays tribute to its people's spirit and the ingenuity of its engineers and businessmen, the Meso-Carribean Confederacy launched a late Seeding operation that many thought impossible. With the resourceful Fernán Marquez leading the colony, they seek to preserve their cultural heritage by thriving on this new world.

When Al Falah was announced I was hoping they would be a take on a single city challenge to emphasize a tie to their generation ship and a different mentality in colonization.

They would establish outposts that funnel resources to their one megacity, sort of like the Space Venice mod.

With a blander bonus in place not, I'm not sure what it would fit.

I’ve seen in some posts, blogs and other comentaries some sugestions that in na expansion the British and Scadinavian should be join in one nation, and that is what happened, so i would like to give my idea for a new sponsor: the New Atlantis.
Special ability: units and buildings (except wonders) are build twice as fast and cost halve (when purchased)
Capital: Nova Esperança (New Hope)
City list: Nova Esperança; Espirito Santo; Fátima; Porto Novo; Beirã; Olisipo; Lusã; Camões; Sete Partidas; Belém; Nova Guimarães; Alvão; Salazar; Minhouro; Dourego; Montejo; Alentejo; Algarve; Açores; Madeira.
New Atlantis is the result of combined efforts of the portuguese spread across the globe, living literally everywhere, prior the Great Mistake. In New Atlantis, portuguese culture is dominant, but with all the flavors of the “diaspora”.
New Atlantean strategies:
Having the beneficts of quick and cheap production, steamrolling is the best option, either Supremacy or Conquest due to the capacity of amass large armies in short time.
New Atlantis strategies:
Us first, to aid others
Prior the Great Mistake Portugal was on the side-lines of the EU, keeping to itselve and going unnoticed. Having little political weight, the portuguese leaders decided to look inwards to see what the portuguese people had that could make a positive difference into the world. At first some resistance was found, but with some persistance the patriot flame was rekindle. Using the exemples of the past, the portuguese standed on the shoulders of their great forefathers and bolster a new age of discovery. Using conections around the world, trading experiences, the portuguese make significant advances in the sciences ans spiritual fields. The new missionaries would bring into the world the message of the Espirito Santo (Holy Ghost) and Mother Nature.
The exhaustive studies on pollution and its effects lead Portuga to be the front runner to reclaim lost land to disaster such as chemical/oil spills,wild fires and at a certain point, nuclear blasts.
After the Great Mistake, costal Portugal and atlantic islands were severely damaged. The death toll was on the thousands and the nation was crippled. The EU failed to solve their members problems and so it was disolved. New forms of cooperation rised and Franco-Iberia “invited” Portugal to join them. To do that Portugal would be assimilated by Spain who would eradicate any sign of portuguese culture. The portuguese people said NO, and stoically endure the ordeal of rebuild the nation.
Portuguese government sent a world-wide appeal to all portuguese and portuguese descendents to come home, and they heard it. Soon thousands would flock into Portugal bringing all they could carry and soon the country was up and runing.
A Gift from Above
After the nation rebound a series of mysterious events started to happen. Freak waves, boiling seas, tremors and everyone feared that na other cataclysm has about to happen. Scientists related those events to hidden underwater structures on the azorian waters. Expeditions were made and schocking discoveries revealded. Alien artifacts, thousand years old became active during the reclamation efforts on the Azores. The studies on such building and objects allowed Portugal to raise sea places, thus expanding the country and creating much need living and farming space. The Azores islands merged creating the New Atlantis.
Neighbours
Seeing the portuguese progress, Franco-iberia started to be more and more worried. Economical relations continued and also open borders but the Franco-iberia was losing the upper hand. Needless to say that portuguese and franco-iberian people were above their government concerns, a fact stated by the Élodie birth in Braga. A shift in Franco-iberian politics lead to na increase hostily towards Portugal, and so Portugal changed its capital to New Atlantis and continental Portugal become a military zone.
A New Hope
Thwarting the conquest plans of the Franco-iberia, and exploring the resources brought from the deeps, Portugal decided to turn a page on its history and became now what Atlantis was on legend, a place o knowledge and peace. As New-atlanteans, the portuguese would reach for the stars and make their mark on the universe.

I would like to know if any developer thought about this.

Aside Kavitha's age possibly, there hasn't really been any indication of alien artifacts on earth.

I also don't think the lore supports Franco-Iberia trying to invade other nations.

Half cost buildings units is far, far stronger than any other Sponsor bonus. And any trait in Civ 5.

Your post would be more appealing with more spacing between paragraphs and titles, some use of bold and italics, and possibly some line separations.

RT sponsors are foils to vanilla sponsors

Kavitha-Arshia
Daoming-Han
Elodie-Lena
Kozlov-Duncan

the following four are probably gonna be imo

Caribbean dictator sponsor as Bolivar foil
Japanese sponsor as Hutama's foil
Either Antartica or Moon/Mars colony as Barre's foil
Canada sponsor as Suzanne foil.

Kavitha-Arshia
Daoming-Han
Elodie-Lena
Kozlov-Duncan

Based on that
Japanese sponsor-Pirates (naval combat, raiding bonus)
Caribean sponsor-Global Revolutionaries (influence-rebel bonus)
Antarctica sponsor-Technocrat resource exploiters (explorer-resource-worker bonus)
Canadian sponsor-Multinationalist alliance/Interpol (spy def-reduced radicals)

Kavitha-Arshia
Daoming-Han
Elodie-Lena
Kozlov-Duncan

Come to think of it, a BE movie with Han as a villian and Daoming trying to unravel his schemes could be interesting.

The guy generally looks evil.

I will do one for Japan

The Shinuchu Shogunate

Leader: Dai Kaitakuro Shinuchu Tenjiro (special interactions with Moon and Daoming, cautious around Moon but at odds with Daoming)

Personal Trait: The Space Port of Nagasaki: Receive resources from nearby stations when trading with them. Sea Colonial start if possible.

Agreements: Colonial System: Each Completed Trade Route allows one basic resource to be improved +10/20/50 Yield with all stations

Isolation: Stations trading with you cannot trade with others

Return to isolation

In the dawn of the Great Mistake, Japan's tepid relationship with foreign powers have taken it's toll to the island. Their xenophobia combined with a dwindling population ruled by an established oligarchy provoked an reaction at last from the acting Emperor of Japan Takahita Yamato decides to seize power from the Diet to reestablish Imperial rule to Japan and ending the democracy for a return to the stable island nation that had endured the worst of colonial imperialism. The nation ceased active foreign relations with most countries.

The colonization effort

In the wake of dwindling resources, the new imperial japanese rule needed a means to maintain their standard of life. To do so, the space program in Japan was pushed into overdrive with the Station charter. Omoikane and Jisoku Labs were the pet projects of the Emperor himself as he funded the expeditions personally and successfully established themselves as an orbital power, Omoikane was responsible for shipping foodstuffs to Japan while advances in Jisoku offered research and development projects. This precious agreement allowed the isolated nation of Japan to maintain it's values and way of live in a tumultuous world and a return to the days when dreams of foreign conquests were merely dreams and the people accepted their position in life.

All good things must come to an end

However, despite the fortunes of Japan's withdrawal from the political conflicts plauging the Earth. The infamous Hareubang Tsunami brought Japan to it's knees as the infrastructure of the nation was crippled. The infamous black submarines from Cheongsu came to aid Japan, the enmity from hostility and isolation provoked a response to the Imperial Government in the wake of the disaster as it was forced to accept the help and realize that they are no longer able to maintain the isolation now that even nature has turned against Japan. Forced back to the international stage, Japan begins their efforts to expand beyond the space stations that allowed them to prosper for so long.

The factions I would like to see are:

Japan: We know, thanks to Civilopeda, that Japan is a isolationist power. But we don't know is a democratic Japan or there is a new Japanese Empire.

Mediterranean faction: A sponsor composed by the Mediterranean countries that didn't want to join to Franco-Iberia. Franco-Iberia could be composed by France, Spain, Swiss, Northern Italy, Portugal, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia. Mediterranean Faction could be composed by Southern Italy, Greece, Israel, Turkey, Egypt, Lybia, Albania, Croatia. There is a strong tension between Franco-Iberia and Mediterranean faction because of disputed territories.

Central American: This faction is composed by the Caribbean countries (Mexico, Cuba, Venezuela, Colombia, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama, Dominican Republic).

United States of America and Canada: A faction for the government of USA and Canada. This faction is strongly hostile to ARC.

Progenitor faction: One or two alien factions similar to grey alien or Sectoid of XCOM.

Top Bottom