1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Faerun

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Modpacks' started by FramedArchitect, Dec 16, 2012.

1. FramedArchitect

FramedArchitect Reluctant Modder

I've never seen this issue.... so I don't know how to respond. In fact I've never seen that message attached to a map in many years of play. :/

Thanks for the many comments here; I appreciate you taking time to report issues and make suggestions!

I don't plan on making any major changes to the mod, mostly as there are now so many superb fantasy mods out, but I will try for a bit better balance and fixes for a few of the obvious issues you've brought up.

On the CS unit gifts and barb camp spawns, there seem to have been some major changes in the way those are handled under the bnw patch, which is why the old fixes no longer work.

2. Treehawk

Treehawk Chieftain

We all appreciate you keeping it alive, as I am sure many of us would argue with your "other great fantasy mods out there" comment. :D

Anyway you can answer the underdark map question? I realize that I blasted you with A LOT of stuff, but that's one that may be there and I am just not doing something to get to it.

EDIT: Never mind. I discovered that the "underdark" map IS the combination of the two and not just the underdark map as I initially was inclined to believe.

I have one last (I promise) thing for you to consider. This is based on having seen the components for it in other mods (capturable Great people, etc.) and trying to bring a justified reward to your event spawned dragon/wizard/druid events other than just the monetary (etc.) one. It would be really good story if the pop up said something like...

"a princess/astrologer/merchant, etc) & thier entourage has been captured by the evil dragon/wizard/druid, etc and needs to be rescued. Freeing them and returning them to you city will entice them to reward you with a golden age/new science/engineering advancement, etc."

If the captured (NPC) great person is then returned to a territory/city they would allow their normal benefit for that player. I think that this would make going to the event and facing the creature more interesting, as well as having to dedicate unit(s) to return them to your own area to reap the reward. I don't know if it is possible, but if this NPC could be coded to draw the attention of barbarians and other units while it is being moved it could make for a very sweet side event, especially when the event is a good distance from your area and the chances of intervention on the way back exists. I have not seen anything like it before, but it looks like it is very feasible given what I have seen so far.

Your Mod does make me want to get back into Modding (it has been YEARS) just to tweak yours (and after your comments on not wanting to do much more with it) to ensure that it remains at the top of the available fantasy mod list. I guess that is my way of admitting how inspiring the effort you put into this actually is.

Best of luck in your historical mod development and I look forward to anything you can find the time to do to improve this one.

3. FramedArchitect

Treehawk, if you'd like to take over development of Faerun, that would be fine by me!

4. Treehawk

Treehawk Chieftain

Oh no, FA I'd not let you get out of it so easily and so close to being perfected, and besides I'd have to learn how to Mod this game (the last project I modded was NWN - back in 2004), which would take far longer than the patience anyone would have to wait for any updates. I looked into and read some of the other modder's commenta on learning this system and it does not seem like an easy learning curve for an old timer like me. ;)

I'm currently evaluating the potential of another mod that you remarked on here that is using some of your stuff from this mod; the Land of Aramwyen Mod. I've just had the chance to start it up and run only about 20 turns, but it is still in its infancy so I don't want to be too critical of it yet, but it is a (and if the author reads this do not take offense) far cry from Faerun from what I have seen so far.

Faerun was a very ambitious endeavor and you really pulled it off nicely. I guess my comments, suggestions and criticisms come from a wanting to see it polished and preserved as "the standard for others to follow", as I think that it deserves to be. You showed some ingenious approaches, brought some fresh and innovative ideas into the Mod (as you tend to do in everything I've seen from you, so that was not a surprise) and really raised the bar on player's expectations for what can be done in a fantasy game conversion. I guess that you just remind me of my old NWN Modding partner "Oldmansbeard", the two of you had a brilliant and creative similarity and it brings me back to wanting to see just how far it (this) can go.

I truly understand the burnout of Modding (we made the IGN/NWN HoF with our OHS Henchman System mod, so I know the amount work and attention to detail involved to get your level of production), and understand that the fantasy realm wasn't your thing. It is just that you are so close to a perfected version (IMHO) that it makes me cringe to think you'd not polish it up before you call it complete or stopped updating it.

Honestly, I'd love to help you, but I think that you'd spend more time anwering my "how do I" questions than it would take for you to actually do the work itself. Heck, by the time you've read all my posts you probably could have scripted an entirely new system for spawning barbarians. :D

5. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

If you have the time and interest, it would be fantastic if you could keep working on Faerun. It really feels ~90% there in terms of work, but that with just a bit more work and polishing the fun value of the mod could be significantly increased.

[I was very disappointing that we never managed to get our Warhammer Fantasy mod in Civ4 finished; despite a huge amount of design work and coding and art, we never got it finished, and I still regret that today.]

If there is another project that is capturing your enthusiasm at the moment, by all means pursue that, and I'll try to provide some feedback as is helpful.

6. Akiva

Akiva Chieftain

Please see these two screen shots; please notice that I am running it on a Mac with all DLCs and it is a AppStore purchase, not Steam.

I can load the MOD but the maps aren't available.
    I am available to trouble shoot this issue if there is anyone who might have a clue as to why it is behaving like this...

Thank you,

Akiva

Attached Files:

7. Akiva

Akiva Chieftain

It could come from the Byzantine Dromon.
    Not sure how to do it yet but I will work on it and let you know.

8. Akiva

Akiva Chieftain

Was it broken? I'm testing now with all imports set to 1 :scan: lets see if it pukes.

9. Akiva

Akiva Chieftain

bummer

Attached Files:

10. Treehawk

Treehawk Chieftain

Quick questions FA,

Can I include any other CIVs into your Mod (not the scenario itself) without breaking it? There is a WOW CIV Mod out now with a UU paladin that can be used to remove heresy - the one thing I kept wanting to do in yours and couldn't (yet... I am still hoping to see the Tech Tree with the inclusion of advanced clerical units) and thought that it might be a work around for it as long as it won't crash your conversion.

Thanks and take care!

EDIT: Well they did not crash the game ( I added four of his WOW CIVS) - 83 turns in and no glitches. However... something in your scripting prevents them from using (it is not an action option) their Remove Heresy function so my original idea isn't going to work. Wish I knew how to make that change it really irritates me to not be able to reconvert my cities.

EDIT: OK FA, your MOD has me looking into scripting again. I have been busy reading the forums and tutorials to try to get a grasp of this. See what your MOD has done.. first I buy G&K to run it, now I'm considering getting back into Modding. Hmmm I think I should have tried harder to get you to polish it up. :undecide:

If I do get up to speed is there anything I'll need to know to add a clerical path similar to your arcane path into your tech tree? I know the question is preliminary, but from what I am reading it is not going to be that difficult to learn this system afterall. See what a "bad" influence you are - here I thought I was retired from this type of stuff.

EDIT: OK That's strange. I ran four games (well past 200 turns) using three to four of those WOW CIVS and now I cannot get any of them to show up in the set up screen. Cleared the cache and tried different loading sequences thinking I must have done something different but no success. Any ideas?
    That was a lot of fun, and the additional CIVs played out very nicely up to this point (not a single hiccup), so I am not sure what went wrong this time. It was great to have your fantasy tech Tree and access to the additional fantasy CIVs in a single game so if you can help me figure out what went wrong so that I can get them back together I'd really appreciate it. Of course they were not supposed to work together so I should be happy I got to run what I did right :shifty:

11. Treehawk

Treehawk Chieftain

FramedArchitect,

I understand why you pulled out of Steam, however, it appears that some of the files that were there are not available here; in particular the Faerun CIVs mod which I used extensively. PLEASE consider porting those here so your fans can continue enjoying your work.

If they are here, my searches found most everything else of yours except the ONE I needed. :confused:

Thanks SO much in advance.

12. ScrubbyTheKid

ScrubbyTheKid Chieftain

Hi there..
    First of all great work on the mod. I love it.
    I have a few questions:
    - 2 Civilizations have the Bazaar of the Arabs as unique builings (gives double oil blabla (Amn is one of them I forgot the other). Is that an installation issue or did those 2 civs not get a unique building yet? (If they just didnt get one so far. I could make one for you and send you the file. (For Amn I think something like Waukeens Promenade would fit).

- I think the Witchking got a bug because when he levels he "demotes" again to a wizard.

edit: Ok this mod made me give CiV V another try... I wasn't to happy with it when it came out, but this looks interessting and I love the Forgotten Realms.
    It even made me look into howto do some modding myself. I'm a reasonably good C/C++/C# programmer, I know my way around in SQL and from there LUA shouldn't be too hard to figure out. As I have holidays right now and have some time on my hands I would be happy to invest some of it in this mod. So if you people want some help I would be happy to try.

So far I made some changes too Amn and the drow (I gave Amn their own UB (the Waukeens Promenade) and I moved the faith bonus of the drow from the strategic ressources to villages (it makes sense flavour-wise and it buffs them a little). So nothing fancy.
    Next thing I try will be moving the Religions out of the Techtree into the Faith System of the game. Might proof a little difficult for a beginner, but hey.. how else would I learn (^^,).

13. IlikeTanks

IlikeTanks Chieftain

I know you said you're not going to make anymore major changes but this is the best fantasy mod available for civ 5 at the moment. The other ones are a little... weird for me. If you ever find out how to make cities float, you should make a Netheril civ :) Oh yeah, super mages.

14. alekssandros

alekssandros Chieftain

Same problem here :(

Some times, when the game start with random map all is wrong, all civs discovered, no city for the player, and more T_T

when loading, some error windows appears

15. FramedArchitect

I cannot help with the "invalid map" issue, but for the rest be sure to select Ancient Era in advanced setup. Also, you must disable BNW if you have it, by deselecting it in the DLC menu.

16. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

It sounds like the farm bug is fixed in the hotfix.
    http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?260106-Hot-Fix-is-on-the-way

The play value of the mod would be greatly improved if we could separate farms and villages again, and add some other economy tweaks (most importantly: change the gold purchase modifier, it takes over 5 gold to purchase 1 production worth of unit/building).

17. Akiva

Akiva Chieftain

If I go into Advanced Setup and select the Faerun Map (Huge) then click "back" I am able to load the scenario.

The starting locations are random though...:confused:

18. DorranCarys

DorranCarys Chieftain

The mod has completely vanished from the Steam Workshop, and I've been trying to track down any word as to why. Just the simple curiosity of "it was there a moment ago..." I even half wondered if it had gotten hit by Hasbro or something like that.

19. Treehawk

Treehawk Chieftain

FA pulled his CIV Mods from Steam following an announcement of his in the discussions section of the Civ V Workshop.

FA if you do not want this reproduced here I will be glad to remove it for you. I have seen several of your fans (here and on Steam) looking for your work and the post presented here is not easy to locate, leaving many of your fans wondering what happened.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/discussions/-1/864976115030051699/?appid=8930

I think all of his stuff is here, with the exception of the Faerun Civs Pack & a couple of others, which I could not locate here in the downloads section.

FA if those are here can you post links for the players that are following you and your work from Steam to here.?.

I am hoping he will port over anything that was missing from here as he has some excellant stuff. Maybe with the time he is saving from answering all the Steam questions we can convince him to step in and tweak this mod one last time. No FA, not asking for a BNW update, just a few tweaks to the current one based on the recent comments here.

As another option, FA has given me the OK to take the mod into further developent if there is a Modder out there that wants to work with me (I am learning the system now) to make the changes I proposed to FA we can start work on it together - please PM me if you are interested in hearing the revisions.

:thumbsup:

20. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

I'm glad to do design work and provide suggestions, but unfortunately I don't have the technical capability to do any actual modding work.

Sorry to hear that the workshop hasn't out worked for FA, it seems weird that a modder wouldn't be able to continue to issue updates for their existing mods. Very unfortunate, since I think the workshop has made mods much more accessible to the masses who don't visit/read fan websites or aren't interested in manually pasting files in particular folders.