Faerun

Hello, new to the CivForum, it's the first time I write something: first, your mod (faerun for BNW - not tried swordcoast yet) is SUPERB. I tried it 2 years ago and it was very nice, but a little unbalanced (imho) with wonders and quite easy to beat. Now it has really improved and it is absolutely nice! I just played a marathon game with Mulhorandi, i won with Evil ending after 890 turns of pure destruction and had lots of fun, really. I love Faerun, being a d&d master since '91, and this is a true gift to me, so thank you thank you thank you. Now, i'm writing to ask (if possibile and if u have time to answer) 2 things:

1) In the mentioned play i reached the Mystra reqs to spawn the goddes, but she never appeared. I was using the divination spell that revealed me ALL THE MAP (forever - is it right or is a bug and it shoul have a duration?) , so it is possible that it stopped mystra from spawning. She never appeared elsewhere, even in Dambrath who had reached the full weave schools and reqs also). 2 years ago i won with magic in 3-4 plays, and it was working fine at the time. Is it possible that she won't spawn immediately but only after certain time or conditions? also, i don't have any Mystra follower in any of my cities (cause the city state is too far in this game), does this have an impact on her appearing? I tried for 56 turn an dkilled 2 barbarian events in the meanwhile, hoping maybe she would have been the next but nothing. At the end i won conquering the 11 capitals

2) I just want to ask if there is a way to play with big faerun map + underdark using the TSL mode: i know it is possible as SCENARIO, but in that case the game pace is standard, and i HATE standard pace. Is there a (easy) way to tweak the scenario or to impose marathon pace using TSL? It would be the "cherry on the pie" on your mod!!

Apart from point 1 (that might be me making the Mystra crash with those spells) , thanks again for your efforts and time, version 17 of the MOD with all its additions and improvements is a masterpiece!

PS: just two things are missing: the ZENTHARIM faction with manshoon, chess, and all the others cyric-bane war villains - and the cult of Lolth. But... it's only beacuse i am a seasoned faerunian :p

Have a nice time everybody :)

Just to let evbd know, I found a way to play with TSL faerun scenario in Marathon mode with 21 civs and 24 city states: in this forum there is a post in wich is discussed how to hex mod the scenario changing the STANDARD PACE into MARATHON PACE, and changing the number of turns into 1500 instead of 500. I hex edited it and all is fine. To change the number of default civs wa enough to edit the civ5Worlds xml file in the main game directory and change the default huge map players in 21 instead of 12 and the job is done. Btw, the thread i'm referring to is this: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/faerun.483184/page-35#post-13975353 just watch out for the numbers cause they're incorrect: you have to find the 500 limit, not 300 as stated in the post. But they are close to the PACE property as stated in the post.

Good luckk

I'm having a bug playing Faerun for BNW v. 17. None of the Stable buildings do what they are supposed to, I can't make mounted units. Instead they are giving a bonus to food production percentage. Also, they require mounts to build, which seems wrong.

I'm having a bug playing Faerun for BNW v. 17. None of the Stable buildings do what they are supposed to, I can't make mounted units. Instead they are giving a bonus to food production percentage. Also, they require mounts to build, which seems wrong.

Noticed the same thing here: no mounted unit option after stables, and the same with stables II and III.

Another strange bug noticed: Also, playing on Menzoberranzan, the "magic" system seems blocked, it always requires me 60 points for new spells,. It goes to 110 sometimes but when i reach 63 points it gives me the new policy and the counter restart from the beginning (i am able to learn all the spell in a bunch of turns this way, and is impossible to reach 3,600 points for Mystra. To continue playing i have to donate 50 points every 2 round to some city state to avoid getting stucked.

They are minor issues anyway

Btw, i noticed that none of the civs, except city states, makes mounted units at all (except for 2star swordsman that has an option for that after upgrade)

Some city states wants Emigrants in exchange for influence. Where can I check how many of them I have and how to obtain more? Game pedia found nothing. When I paid City state influence with this Emigrants my income per turn decreased a little.

Why mithrill hall dwarves have only range 1 with their shooting units? Everyone else shoots with 2 range or just the elves?

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone is still playing this mod, but if they are, I've found out how to make at least some of the mounted units. You have to build swordsmen or macemen and then you can upgrade them to some of the mounted units. This worked for me when playing as Cormanthor (the elves). I was able to upgrade swordsmen to centaurs and macemen to human mounted units.

This new version (v.18 Spellplague) has been a very long time coming... mostly due to various hardware failures and data loss (I should have been more careful). Most of these changes were drafted back in 2019, and I only recently found a backup from that year that allowed me to pick up almost where I had left off. I'm not even sure this mod has any users left, but I figured the changes were significant enough that old fans may find enough new here to play through with one of the massively updated civs.

So what's changed? Mostly the non-human civs (elves, dwarves, gnomes, orc, drow). The changes included new buildings and heroes, but more importantly an attempt to significantly alter their playstyle. For example, the elves now found cities with mobile trees that can uproot to found that same city somewhere else on the map, or to defend themselves when under attack. Elven cities also automatically improve resources, so they no longer have to build workers. These changes, combined with eight new unique buildings, make for a pretty new civ experience.

Another big addition is the Spellplague Event, which can be enabled in the Advanced Setup Menu at game start. This world-wide event affects every player in the year 1385. Most arcanists will be killed, the map will be devastated, and magic will generally no longer work. In addition, a powerful new civ will spawn during the event and attempt to conquer weakened kingdoms (or you can take control of this civ!). Enable this event if you find the mid-game a bit boring and want to shake up the status quo.

There are also countless small changes, tweaks and bugfixes. For example, building wonder improvements on the map works smoothly and as you would expect -- something like civ 6.

Finally, I was able to restore some of the work I had done on Faerun for Civ 6, so I do plan on completing the Elf Civs I had started years ago. I will have to see if my skills will allow me to go further and put together a full mod. If I do, I will surely post here and on Steam.

All the best,
FA

Hi FA

Thanks a lot for this (unexpected) update; It's much appreciated since I still play your Civ 5 Fearun Mods up until today. However, the game keeps crashing after a few turns (during Barbarian activity) when using the following mods playing as Szass Tam on Difficulty 5:

Faerun Art Assets (v.7)
Faerun for BNW (v.18)
Faerun Soundtrack (v.6)

Attached you will find the Save after the game crashes. I tried several new set-ups and re-installed all the mods but unfortunately with the same result (game crashes after a view turns).

Would be great if you could look into it since I am looking forward to check out the new features. Thanks a lot for your great work!

All the best,
A

Attachments

• Szass Tam_1354 DR (Turn 0013)-May.Civ5Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 31
Attached you will find the Save after the game crashes. I tried several new set-ups and re-installed all the mods but unfortunately with the same result (game crashes after a view turns).
The issue stems from the negative GPT you're running in this scenario, which invokes a missing notification at a certain threshold (I think it's at -5 GPT). You can overcome this roadblock for now by giving yourself some gold with IGE or another cheat. I'll offer a fix soon.

Woohoo! A new update! Thanks so much FramedArchitect, this mod keeps me coming back to Civ V year after year.

Hi!

Can't download latest version of Faerun soundtrack mod - there is an old version Faerun Soundtrack (v.4) on Steam, it shows up - Update: 18.02.2016
Using link on the top in the list of Downloads it leads to the file of Faerun Art assets (v.7). On SourceForge it suggest to download archive Faerun for BNW Complete, but there is also old versions of the mods.

Can you check?

Hi!

Can't download latest version of Faerun soundtrack mod - there is an old version Faerun Soundtrack (v.4) on Steam, it shows up - Update: 18.02.2016
Using link on the top in the list of Downloads it leads to the file of Faerun Art assets (v.7). On SourceForge it suggest to download archive Faerun for BNW Complete, but there is also old versions of the mods.

Just tested Steam version and it is the latest Soundtrack v.6. Not sure what the problem there was....

Fixed the link here for Google doc permissions to access Soundtrack v.6. Sorry for that linking problem.

Sourceforge has not been updated with a single mod package. That said, all the most recent files are available for download as Modbuddy solutions if you're interested in changing the mod for your own use (which everybody is welcome to do). If you really want to help develop or curate this mod, contact me and we can discuss openinng up developer permissions on the SF repository.

Best, FA

Just tested Steam version and it is the latest Soundtrack v.6. Not sure what the problem there was....

Fixed the link here for Google doc permissions to access Soundtrack v.6. Sorry for that linking problem.

Sourceforge has not been updated with a single mod package. That said, all the most recent files are available for download as Modbuddy solutions if you're interested in changing the mod for your own use (which everybody is welcome to do). If you really want to help develop or curate this mod, contact me and we can discuss openinng up developer permissions on the SF repository.

Best, FA

Thanks a lot!

Checked one more time Steam, this problem appears if using SteamWorkshopDownload. Other way it is correct. So, apology for wrong info.
Sourceforge: no, I was just checking alternative download site to get latest versions after get the problem with the link here. I used to play ld version and liked it a lot and just wanted to try the new one. Many thanks for fixing the link and for the mod itself!

Hello again,

I've been playing the mod quite a bit since the new update came out and I have a couple of questions. First of all, how do you get the Magic Victory to trigger? I've gotten the necessary spells and weave before but I've never had Mystra spawn after that. Is there something else I have to do? My next question is about the new Spellplague mechanic. Once it triggers is the loss of all the wizard spells permanent or can you earn them back or something?

I have a few bugs to report and comments to make about some of the changes too:

1.) I noticed that you have trade caravans making roads now. I hate to say this since you probably put a lot of work into it but I really dislike this change. I keep having other civ's traders making all sorts of unnecessary and ugly roads in my territory. I wish you hadn't added it.

2.) I tried playing as the Gnomes but it wouldn't register that I'd made a selection of which technology to research right on the first turn, it just kept asking me to make a research choice. So I was completely unable to play as them.

3.) The Elves still need workers to build wonders and plant trees if they go neutral I think.

4.) The dwarven replacement for the City Hall, Vergadain's Stronghold, doesn't give you a charter like the City Hall does.

5.) I was playing on Warlord, so not too high a difficulty, and I was constantly having citizens in my capital assassinated by other civs. Maybe you could tone this down or remove it? I tried putting a spy in my capital but that didn't seem to help much. It was really annoying.

Thanks again for all the work you've put into this mod over the years. It's my favorite civ mod ever and I've played countless hours of it.

Last edited:
ok, here we are finally, I recovered Civ 5 on steam, it has been a lifetime that I have not played with it and I got closer to this fantastic fantasy world.
I remember having fun a long time ago and I am in '' part '' amused even now, but I have a problem ..... both the GK and BNW versions at some point in the game, after several hours, during the change of shift crashes me ..... this thing drives me crazy, I started it a lot of times by changing faction but it always happens, it crashes ... consequently I have no way of continuing.
I swear to you this thing drives me crazy, with version 17 it didn't, there is something that sends the game into a tailspin and I don't know what it is.
Does it happen to anyone?
Ps. Thanks for the great job, I love this world!
Ciaoooo to everyone!

Attachments

• upload_2022-2-3_22-8-1.png
    upload_2022-2-3_22-8-1.png
    312 bytes · Views: 29
1.) I noticed that you have trade caravans making roads now. I hate to say this since you probably put a lot of work into it but I really dislike this change.
It was a very easy addition. I can add a pregame option allowing users to turn this off.

2.) I tried playing as the Gnomes but it wouldn't register that I'd made a selection of which technology to research right on the first turn, it just kept asking me to make a research choice. So I was completely unable to play as them.
Just right-click the choose tech notification to proceed as normal.

3.) The Elves still need workers to build wonders and plant trees if they go neutral I think.
Both the elven heroes can plant trees and, I think, build all the wonders. I'll check this. I should probably add plant tree as natural skill for the treant unit...

5.) I was playing on Warlord, so not too high a difficulty, and I was constantly having citizens in my capital assassinated by other civs. Maybe you could tone this down or remove it? I tried putting a spy in my capital but that didn't seem to help much. It was really annoying.
I think I'll put a world cooldown timer on this spell, something like 30 turns on normal speed. That way you won't get spammed.

Thank you for the detailed report!

Hi FA

Some things I noticed so far playing the latest version (Faerun for BNW (v.18)):

1) Capital assassination: When my capital (Waterdeep) drops below 5 due to assassination, the opal resource nearby disappears. However, when I reach again 5, it does not re-appear again.
2) When attacking an Orc Squatter (no matter if melee, ranged or spell) the game crashes.
3) Civs with special Weave abilities like e.g. Szass Tam/Thay or Mycontil/Halruaa seem to get confused amount of weave required for the next spell when reloading the save during war (Szass Tam) or peace (Mycontil).
4) Elves "mobile cities": I think the AI is a bit confused by this ability... it tends to dispatch cities and not settle them anymore (at least at 1 play trough I had).
5) The workaround for the negative GPT issue i reported earlier worked for me, thx!

Otherwise I love the new changes (however didn't test the Spellplague yet).

Best regards, A.

So I tried playing as the gnomes again and ran into a problem pretty quickly. The technology Sea II doesn't seem to unlock things properly. It's supposed to unlock Cargo Ships, Lighthouses, and the ability for land units to cross water tiles. The first game I played it unlocked none of these things. The second game it unlocked Cargo Ships and Lighthouses but not the ability for land units to cross water tiles. The third and final time it only unlocked Cargo Ships.

Let me know if it would be helpful to upload the save files here for you to look at as others have done. I don't know how to do that exactly but I should be able to figure it out....

Thanks.

Top Bottom