Faerun

.... I also ended up with Khelden's Keep, since it appeared on top of my unit after that quest was completed. Initially it would have allowed me to produce Swordsmen, Archers or Gold. Not knowing differently, I chose Gold, but could have made other units. That disappeared later, so it was just gold.
Thanks for the report on the Gore ability. Taking cities shouldn't really be much of an option in the scenario, though it is technically possible. The Keep is the reward for completing that quest in every game, and can produce one melee and one archer unit as long as you have fewer than five units total. This is to aid those trying to get through the scenario with a small party or a single hero (this is possible).

Can't understand how to start Sword Coast scenario. I've subscribed to this mod and others, but have no choice "Sword Coast" in Mods Menu.

Hey Framed! Re-playing this mod, and I have been loving the new changes, but yet need explanation for them... are wonders built by workers all the time? How do I beat the "boss"-level enemies that spawn every now and then?

Also, barbs are nuts when enabled even though I do not have raging barbs on. And they seem too powerful for early units to beat.

Great to see a new version of this fantastic mod.

It's a tough life being a villain, though. I've tried out Thay, Chesenta and the Drow, and they seem condemned to slow growth. Why this should be so with Chesenta I don't know as Cimbar is surrounded with food. Anyway, in each of a handful of games I've just watched good/neutral civs grow at a daft rate (ok, Cormanthor do have a rather unbalanced advantage there) burst in growth and nab every wonder going.

It could be argued that an evil civ shouldn't be building wonders but conquering them, but out-and-out conquest from the word go isn't really a viable option.

Not sure what the issue is here. Cheaty benefits for the other civs? Growth (health?) penalties for the factions I've tried?

Given that city level is the key to wonders, Cormanthor's special ability does feel a bit powerful, but I haven't played enough of this version to be sure of that yet.

These observations aside, though, it's good to see this mod rejuvenated.

I'm running the latest version of the game on my macbook. I have no problem running Faerun for GnK, but when trying to load Faerun for BNW (v.15), I get the message, "This version of the game is not compatible with this mod."

The game version is 1.03.279.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

I haven't played Civ in a while so apologize if these questions seem a little off. I used to be an Immortal/Emperor player, so I have a pretty good feel for the base game. I love the idea of a Faerun mod,

For this Mod, I've gone all the way down to Prince, but every time I run into an AI city at the beginning, their city has 4 or 5 citizens while I'm struggling with 2-3. Are they just getting citizen's from goody huts or is there some fundamental strategy to get such fast growth? Also, can somebody explain the victory conditions?

Taking cities seems pretty hard early game - is that as intended (or maybe I just have to adjust my strength)?

I really appreciate any help, this game mod seems really cool.

Hello there, I tried out the Faerun bnw 15 mod a few times in the last couple of days.
It looks very exciting - great work! But I must admit I feel at a loss regarding how to play it properly:

What game mecanics are in, which are out (there is no tech-tree, but some units, abilities or buildings appear to need particular techs?)
What are the different ways you can get faith and weave? What sort of tradeoffs are there between the two? How do they relate to victory conditions?
How do you get a new charter, so you can settle new cities?
What do races do? How do you get other races and why would you want to?
How does cults work? - You adopt one when you visit a city-state - do you keep that one forever? is it important which cult you get (I see certain buildings can be faith bought if you have a certain cult)
What are the strengths and weaknesses of different alignments? How do they affect diplomacy?

I have not been able to find something like a manual, a rules compendium, or a strategy thread for Faerun. Does something like this exist? Where can I find it?
Thanks!

Well, lot's here. I'll answer what I can.

TECH TREE

There is no tech tree. You access higher tier units with the relevant buildings. As your settlement increases in population stages (1-6, 7-9, 10+) you can upgrade the unit recruitment buildings you have to get higher tier units. As a consequence, city growth is vital, especially early in the game. You want to be growing to get those higher tier units, and to nab any wonders. The elves have a distinct advantage here as their cities increase in level with less population.

FAITH AND WEAVE

Faith is used to progress up the faith tree which unlocks various empire-wide and alignment-appropriate abilities, an alignmnent-specific wonder and additional heroes. Faith determines alignment (good, neutral, or evil) which in turn determines the religion-specific victory conditions. Good tends to favour growth, faith, and defence; neutral favours wealth and diplomacy; evil favours weave and conquest.

Weave is like culture in that it pops borders, but is also spent to progress up the various spell school trees, which in turn unlock various spells for your casters (both wizards, clerics, and druids).

Faith and weave are not zero sum. You can happily pursue both.

CHARTERS

You generate your own charters from the government building of large (pop 10+) settlements. You can also get them from various points on the faith tree, as a quest reward, or trade for them. For some reason other civs do not seem to value charters very highly, and many do not quickly expand even when they have unused charters, so it is usually easy to trade for them assuming reasonable relations. You can trade for a charter, settle a new city and subsequently let the trade lapse as the city will not cease to be because you lost the charter. However, this will put you into a charter a deficit. So, if you have 3 charters of your won, trade for 1 more, build a city and let the trade lapse, you will have 4 cities but -1 charters, so would need to generate or acquire 2 charters to build a 5th city.

RACES

Each race has a race-specific "promotion". Elves do better in forest, dwarves in hills etc. Race also determines what your basic units upgrade to. E.g. dwarves can upgrade a basic mounted unit to a giant eagle whereas other races would get some sort of rider.

CULTS

Cults spread like religions through undertaking quests for a cult centre (quick spread) or having trade links to a city where that cult is present (slow spread). Once a point of population in a city have adopted a cult they stick with it (barring loss of population). A city only adopts a city-wide cult if enough of its population follow one, so large cities with multiple cults are often not religious as no one cult becomes dominant there.

Different cults allow for the building of different clerics and shrines. Shrines just generate faith, but clerics vary in their strength and abilities according to their cult. Each cult also allows certain buildings to be purchased for faith points in cities that follow that cult.

I hope you find some of this helpful, but I've really only scratched the surface here.

Thanks, TravellingHat, that's very helpful! Lots of stuff is tied to city sizes, I see

There are still two things I wonder:
Are there 'ordinary' games on the Faerun and Sword Coast maps and then 'scenarios' on these maps, which are different things? Does the game end at 300 rounds, is it possible to win other victories than the good-neutral-evil-magic specific ones, and if not, must they be done within 300 rounds?

Could you possibly give me a suggestion for a first Faerun game to help me get a hang of it:
Which map, which house, which kind of victory should I go for? A few tips on what your (early) focus would be for said victory? --- the thing is, I see tons of available tiles that it appears will probably not be settled by anyone, and I see a great array of different buildings that I can't really tell what to do with (and workers can improve tiles to wonders?), and this is all very different from a typical game of Civ.

Thanks again,

The Sword Coast scenario is Framed's RPG adventure using Civ V as a base (I kid you not - check it out). You control a party of adventurers. It is categorically NOT an empire building game. You can use it as a map for the base mod, although I didn't think it lent itself to that.

The Faerun and Faerun+Underdark scenarios are the D&D continent of Faerun with (mostly) real starting positions. Again, you can use these as maps for the base mod rather than playing the scenarios (which, so far as I can tell, only determine starting locations).

If I recall correctly the normal game and Faerun/Faerun+Underdark scenarios are 500 turns at normal speed.

If you're just getting started, I'd probably recommend Cormanthor (the elves) in the Faerun+Underdark scenario.

1) They have a great starting position, their only immediate neighbours being Cormyr (good humans - should be bosom pals unless you go neutral alignment) and Sembia (neutral/evil humans - might be friendly if you're both neutral, but they often go evil and will be a pain). Furthermore, the elves racial promotion should mean that, at least when fighting in the plentiful forests in that part of the world, you shouldn't have any trouble defending.

2) You also have many nearby city states so have (potentially) a greater choice of cults, and you can set up a decent trade empire without caravans/cargo ships having going off into bandit country.

3) The elven leader's special ability allows them to reach settlement levels with less population, and as you've seen this is key to development.

4) As for victory type, you only have two choices - your alignment victory or magic. If you go for the good victory you should have happy relations with Cormyr, and the two of you together should keep Sembia bottled up. If you go for neutral you may end up chummy with Sembia, but it will be more difficult to keep Cormyr happy.

5) I suggest the Faerun+Underdark scenario because I just love the imaginative way Framed has incorporated the Underdark. At various points on the map you will find paired portals (more properly "deep tunnels", I suppose) that allow you teleport between the "continents". The only problem is you can't connect roads or send caravans through these portals, but then, you can't have everything! If you play Cormanthor your nearest passage down into the Underdark is quite close, in the desert west of your starting location. Expect lots of your scouting units to get eaten by all the nasty minions of evil scuttling about in the dark down there!

6) Regarding early focus, I try to grow my capital, so build for food and health (a mechanic that affects growth, emulating the health system in Civ IV) while letting your second settlement do the heavy lifting of unit production. Once your capital gets going it will be able to produce better units by virtue of being a higher level settlement (at least until your second settlement catches up). Your first build jobs should be a hero and a worker. You have a choice of heroes - a mage or a cleric. You'll want both eventually, but early stages it's a toss up between a little more weave or faith per turn. Personally I usually go for the mage first - it's quite a weak unit to start with so needs more time to gain experience, and it's a ranged unit so can gain that experience without (necessarily) taking damage itself, which slows you down waiting to heal.

As with all these things, though, the only thing to really do is get playing and try things out for yourself. Hope this helps.

Not sure how many people still play these mods, but Faerun (all versions, including the Art Assets) will soon be getting a large update that will completely break any saved games. Not a huge issue unless you play with auto-updates via Steam.

The updates will add a bit of new artwork, fix lots of small issues, and add new content for each Civ.

All looking good.

I'm still finding it nigh on impossible to get any wonders, though. I've tried with Silver Marches, Tethyr, Chessenta, and Thay so far, on Prince difficulty. I put everything into growing the capital as soon as possible (including food caravans from other cities where possible), but I consistently see all the wonders gettings built when my capital is still only population 4 or 5. The same happens trying for the next tier of wonders. I can get the alignment-dependent wonders easily enough, but the others are all built by the time my city qualifies to build them.

Am I doing something drastically wrong without realising it?

All looking good.

I'm still finding it nigh on impossible to get any wonders, though. I've tried with Silver Marches, Tethyr, Chessenta, and Thay so far, on Prince difficulty. I put everything into growing the capital as soon as possible (including food caravans from other cities where possible), but I consistently see all the wonders gettings built when my capital is still only population 4 or 5. The same happens trying for the next tier of wonders. I can get the alignment-dependent wonders easily enough, but the others are all built by the time my city qualifies to build them.

Am I doing something drastically wrong without realising it?

Glad I didn't break everything in last update! I tested a bit with wonder building and on all difficulties below emperor I managed to build at least one level 2 wonder. The level 3 wonders tended to go to neutral civs, the elves or Waterdeep. It could be that the scenario map (if you're playing that) is massively growth unbalanced. I wouldn't be surprised, because I've not tested that in ages.

I always play on the Faerun+Underdark map, and I think it may be an issue with growth. In further tests (Waterdeep, Turmish, and Drow) I have managed to nab a few level 2 wonders, and even a level 3, but that has been by pretty much sacrificing everything else (as a side note, this can be easier with the Drow if you can hold off the barbarians since their location is so hard for anyone other than the Dwarves or the Orcs to mount a meaningful attack). Cormanthor do still seem to run away with the wonders though. Their lower population thresholds seem to give them such a huge edge in that.

In my Drow game I managed to get Tsaparang(?) Fortress, which is described as giving an extra charter but that didn't seem to come into effect.

However, in order that I'm not just slating this excellent mod which you have clearly poured hours into, I'm loving the changes I'm seeing. In particular the civs have a more unique feel, not only with units and buildings, but the improvements (in particular Thay's soul forge thing - a decent improvement in its own right with the added bonus of some extra arrow fodder, and a nice use for all those slaves!).

Also, I've probably played 150-250 turns each with half a dozen civs and in all that have had only one crash, so it seems pretty stable.

Okay, I have been playing a BNW game and am about 200 turns in. I really enjoy the concept of this mod and it has lots of cool ideas, and it's a impressively polished and bug-free mod. The only thing I've found is there's a spell that's supposed to negate the need to prepare spells before casting that didn't seem to work for me. Unfortunately, I'm finding my actual game kind of dull. I'm playing a huge Faerun map as the drow and I've noticed a couple of things. The charter limitation on growth means that it seems like nobody builds anything beyond their starting city and the lack of competition for space means there's very little impetus for conflict between nations; there have been wars but nobody's lost a city and none of my enemies are near enough for me to be bothered going after them. So I'm mostly just wandering about killing barbarian camps. Maybe a custom set-up with more civs on a small map works better? What settings do people usually play? It might be partly the low difficulty (Warlord), but I didn't want to get crushed before I got started, and the mechanics are quite different from regular CIv

Also (perhaps again a function of the huge map), in every case but one the "kill X for great treasure" was so far away that my chances of actually getting any unit there, let alone a sufficient army to kill it, were nil. I finally did manage to reach one of them 10 turns or so before the expiry date, but the Vermin Keeper proved too strong for what I'd sent after it, so I still don't know if those quests are worth pursuing.

Has anyone put together a strategy guide? It's difficult to get a feel for how everything works just by scanning the civpedia, since I'm not always sure where to look and the fact that some wonders are improvements while others are buildings like in normal civ is confusing.. I'm still unsure what controls which of the spells in my school are available for each of my units, too.

Maybe it's because my wizards are too low level but the direct damage spells don't seem to do much more than range attack, and the area of effect ones do so little they seem scarcely worth bothering with..

I'm having an issue where every game I start with Faerun for BNW I have -1 or 0 charters. The hover over text says +4 for map size, but the actual number is a red -1. This happens both in scenario (Faerun, NOT swordcoast RPG) and regular games.

I'm having an issue where every game I start with Faerun for BNW I have -1 or 0 charters. The hover over text says +4 for map size, but the actual number is a red -1. This happens both in scenario (Faerun, NOT swordcoast RPG) and regular games.
Thanks for the reports; will probably update Faerun Civ 5 in next few weeks.

I've posted an update on Faerun for Civ 6.

Top Bottom