Fall Further 051 Bug Report Thread

This one I already fixed from another crash report, it is a division by zero error from someone managing to have a negative 1 power rating. Still haven't had time to decide precisely who/how has such a rating though. It IS a fairly rare thing, so I suspect it is due to the issue of players being removed from the game all except for a treasure chest.

Is the attached an example of this issue? I should note that going into the Worldbuilder and deleting the treasure chests on Iceland I think it is fixes it, so it sounds like it is, but I'm just wanting to be sure.

Attachments

• weird bug.CivBeyondSwordSave
    530.1 KB · Views: 59
Saw an AI worker changing camped deer to a farm yesterday. And no he was not running the Ag civics.

Actually, you're the only one reporting a LOT of strange and unheard of issues.

I told you modifying a game in progress is a bad idea.

The multiple acherons bug is most likely caused by you doing something in unitinfos on a game in progress. Multiple worldspells may be caused by the same.
WarKirby, who said that I was changing a game that was currently in progress? I've made the same type of changes in FfH and NEVER had problems such as this... The changes that I made were BEFORE starting the game and the changes that I do make should NOT cause such issues. I hate to admit this, but I've been programming now for over 30 thirty years and have a fairly good idea of what should and should not cause issues.

If you want to chalk it off as a hacker messin' up your code and screwing up your game, that's fine. At this point, I'm sufficiently frustrated that I'm trying out Orbis even though I DO really appreciate all the hard work you guys have put into this mod, really love some of your spells and the way units operate, and your artwork is fantastic.

WarKirby, who said that I was changing a game that was currently in progress? I've made the same type of changes in FfH and NEVER had problems such as this... The changes that I made were BEFORE starting the game and the changes that I do make should NOT cause such issues. I hate to admit this, but I've been programming now for over 30 thirty years and have a fairly good idea of what should and should not cause issues.

If you want to chalk it off as a hacker messin' up your code and screwing up your game, that's fine. At this point, I'm sufficiently frustrated that I'm trying out Orbis even though I DO really appreciate all the hard work you guys have put into this mod, really love some of your spells and the way units operate, and your artwork is fantastic.
Might be helpful if you mention exactly what you've changed.

Have you been programming Civ for 30 years ? General programming knowledge is not the same as knowledge of the ins and outs of one particular system.

I'm just pointing out the obvious, here. You've reported a great deal of bugs, where you're the only one to report anything like them. And also mentioned at length about your various moddings. It may be that you've changed things in ways which don't work and cause stuff to break, in which case telling us what you did can help get that fixed.

I don't think Kirby is trying to write your off so much as he just comes off abrasive when he posts.
But yeah, I'm curious to know what you've changed myself. I've never gotten multiple Acherons or any of the related things, and I do a lot of modding.

Not sure I get the animosity. When debugging, the first step is to identify the source of the problem. I thought, "You've reported a great deal of bugs, where you're the only one to report anything like them." was pretty clear.

The next step would be to replicate the bug, perhaps under conditions different than the first. e.g., do a fresh install (in a different directory if you don't want to wreck all your modding, Omegon) and attempt to replicate. If you can, then you've successfully stuck your thumb in Kirby's eye. ;) If not, why perhaps he's correct after all.

mp game, i tried the kurio. automaticly builts a settlement with the starting settler. no choice to choose a real city. anyone else having this problem?

Well, you're supposed to get that popup, so not getting it is certainly a bug. It's just an easily worked around, and relatively minor bug.

yeah works for me, thx warkirby. only prob i see is when you walk around a bit at the beginning you might have to wait for your scout to catch up. otherwise its a cool feature :D

Playing as Dural, their Statue of Loyalty is not granting Loyalty to units built there.

Well, you're supposed to get that popup, so not getting it is certainly a bug. It's just an easily worked around, and relatively minor bug.

Actually you're not, not in multiplayer games. It would cause out of sych errors.

Playing as Dural, their Statue of Loyalty is not granting Loyalty to units built there.

actually, it is. But loyalty has 100% chance of expiring per turn, so the unit loses the promotion before you get to see it.

I think it should apply to units standing in the city, rather than those built there. That would work

Prolly should have it apply a non-expiring duplicate of the Loyalty promotion, then it'd be worth something.

Might be helpful if you mention exactly what you've changed.

Have you been programming Civ for 30 years ? General programming knowledge is not the same as knowledge of the ins and outs of one particular system.

I'm just pointing out the obvious, here. You've reported a great deal of bugs, where you're the only one to report anything like them. And also mentioned at length about your various moddings. It may be that you've changed things in ways which don't work and cause stuff to break, in which case telling us what you did can help get that fixed.
What I've changed is to add a few animals and units -- basically in the UnitInfos XML file. Also I added some new resources in the BonusInfo XML. Obviously I added the artwork to support this. I also permit myself to train heros for civs that aren't currently in the game -- basically removing "Unique" identifier in the UnitClassInfos XML. I have modified absolutely NOTHING in the pythons and, since I don't have the source code, nothing in the DLL.

NO I haven't been programming in Civ for 30 years -- I just understand the nature of programming and what generally causes what. Now, given the above types of changes I've made, YOU tell me how the blazes I could have caused the problems I'm experiencing -- like FIVE Acherons (NOT on of the units I modified!!) and a BIG time crash after a couple of civs cast their world spell. This sure doesn't sound to me like anything that would be caused by the changes I made to the XML and the exact same type of changes in FfH caused absolutely NO problems.

My apologies for not buying into the stuff you are throwing in my direction, but I really think that you're barking up the wrong tree saying that it is my fault for hacking your code. Perhaps I'm the only one putting the program through such paces (i.e. who else in their right mind would play "hotseat" with himself for six civs...???).

You just stated that you removed a Unique modifier. I don't claim to know anything about modding FF or civ4 for that matter, but that right there might be what is causing it. Is it possible that you might have accidentally removed the unique tag from Acheron or corrupted it in some manner? That is assuming it was your tinkering that caused it, which it may come off as I am insinuating this.

I have seen my fair share of, "where the hell did that come from" moments *(like for example killing the grigori, then them staying in the game causing anger in my newly conquered cities, and then trying to put another city in the game in barbarian world to get captured/killed again, which brought up the death text for Cassiel once again, but he still was stuck in the game)*, and I realize that you may have come across the perfect conditions in which Acheron could spawn multiple times.

Like Warkirby and the others said, try to replicate the bug. If you can find the exact conditions, it would be much easier to find out if it was some stray coding or something along those lines in either your or the FF teams, well, code.

Oh, speaking of bugs, I have one between the * marks, and I recall earlier in this thread that the Alter of the Luannitar (spelling, I know I'm terrible) victory wasn't working, which didn't turn out to be the case for me. Played a game as Banner, in fact the same one with the Cassiel bug, and had the victory via AotL. Speaking of which, the media for victories/the intro have been off for some time, but I suppose you know that :).

Anywho, good luck in finding that bug out Omegon/FF team, seems rather strange.

PS: I have a 1781 exp captain in my stack o' doom. Was quite fun experimenting with nearly a full champion stack and not messing with siege units for a game. Also, the Banner module kicks ass ;).

Banner Save Attached Below:

Attachments

• Ben Turn_0453 Victory!.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1 MB · Views: 53
I also permit myself to train heros for civs that aren't currently in the game -- basically removing "Unique" identifier in the UnitClassInfos XML.

YOU tell me how the blazes I could have caused the problems I'm experiencing -- like FIVE Acherons (NOT on of the units I modified!!)

I'll leave you to figure out how these two sentances are related :lol:
I seem to distinctly remember you mentioning allowing your wife to build acheron at some point. Am I wrong here ?

Anyways, no need to be so hostile. Perhaps I should have added a few more smilies next time. My intention wasn't to be rude. I was just putting two and two together, and pointing out the elephant in the room.

Changing things which you know shouldn't cause problems, doesn't necessarily mean that your changes didn't cause problems. Therein lies the nature of a bug - something not working as it should. Explaining the changes and finding ways to reproduce these issues is the best way to fix them

I think it's just as presumptuous of you, Omegon3, to say that you know unequivocally your changes are perfect and it's the Fall teams code that broke it, when you're the only one reporting your specific problems. Occam's razor says "when you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better". So which is a simpler theory: That your own custom changes caused changes you didn't intend - or that the FF team made some insidious code snippets, that only fire off on your computer, that make your game behave erratically but do not apply to the rest of the playerbase.

Top Bottom