Fall Further 051 Bug Report Thread

Teach Spellcasting doesn't do Spell Extension I.

I don''t think this is a bug. Where was it mentioned that it should? It only teaches lv1 spells

I guess you're right... that's a Promotion.

I find myself sometimes getting very confused between promotions, spells, effects, items, and abilities. Especially when the Civilopedia refers to them incorrectly sometimes.

I'm getting a weird CTD. It's crashing at or near the end of the animal civ turn. This is the second time it has happened, and I got around it the first time by deleting 30-ish bears, lions, elephants and wolves, plus one evil fawn. None of them seemed to be doing anything odd.

I play on huge maps with lots of civs, so if there's a way to crash the game, I'm probably going to run into it, and this is the first time I've seen the animals crashing. The dark forests option is enabled, and this is the first time I've gotten evil fawns, if that's relevant.

This one I already fixed from another crash report, it is a division by zero error from someone managing to have a negative 1 power rating. Still haven't had time to decide precisely who/how has such a rating though. It IS a fairly rare thing, so I suspect it is due to the issue of players being removed from the game all except for a treasure chest.

Not really... I hadn't made any changes to Acheron or in the pythons. I HAD made some changes to permit myself to train some other heroes (for civs that weren't in the current game) to which I wouldn't normally have access. But, as I said, I did check the "UnitClassInfos" and it WAS set to only "1" Acheron so I'm not quite sure how Bhall (if that's the correct diety) came up with five.
OK... This keeps getting stranger and stranger. After defeating five (5!!) Acherons (lost a LOT of troops I have to tell you; thank God for Obsidian Gates), I had to figure that there was a barbarian city on the large island where they were located. So I sent out four Beastmasters to search the island and find the city. Well... There was NO city on the island and I'm about 100% certain that I would have known if one of my civs' explorers had destroyed it (as usual, given my multiple personalities, I'm playing hotseat). Subsequently, there was no freakin' Dragaon's Hoard to claim.

It almost seems like the Animal civ was spawning Acherons in the same manner as it does Gurid and Margalard (times five!). I checked the CivInfo XML and the Animal civ is NOT listed as being able to turn out Acheron so I'm kind of clueless how this could happen.

I think that this may explain why, after finding that Acheron was being "held" after defeating him by Beastmasters in OTHER games, whey I couldn't set up the controls to train him. I'm guessing that there was ALREADY more than one Acheron on Erebus -- somewhere...

Anyway, if you give this some thought and figure out what the heck is going on it would be much appreciated.

This one I already fixed from another crash report, it is a division by zero error from someone managing to have a negative 1 power rating. Still haven't had time to decide precisely who/how has such a rating though. It IS a fairly rare thing, so I suspect it is due to the issue of players being removed from the game all except for a treasure chest.

Leftover treasure chests have never given me any problems before, though, and they're not that uncommon. Removing the one chest in that game doesn't fix anything, either.

One other weird thing in that game you may have noticed... to the west of my civ, there's a patch of land where I have line of sight without having any units anywhere near it.

OK... This keeps getting stranger and stranger. After defeating five (5!!) Acherons (lost a LOT of troops I have to tell you; thank God for Obsidian Gates), I had to figure that there was a barbarian city on the large island where they were located. So I sent out four Beastmasters to search the island and find the city. Well... There was NO city on the island and I'm about 100% certain that I would have known if one of my civs' explorers had destroyed it (as usual, given my multiple personalities, I'm playing hotseat). Subsequently, there was no freakin' Dragaon's Hoard to claim.

It almost seems like the Animal civ was spawning Acherons in the same manner as it does Gurid and Margalard (times five!). I checked the CivInfo XML and the Animal civ is NOT listed as being able to turn out Acheron so I'm kind of clueless how this could happen.

I think that this may explain why, after finding that Acheron was being "held" after defeating him by Beastmasters in OTHER games, whey I couldn't set up the controls to train him. I'm guessing that there was ALREADY more than one Acheron on Erebus -- somewhere...

Anyway, if you give this some thought and figure out what the heck is going on it would be much appreciated.

Acheron isn't produced by the animal civ. The barbarian civ builds the dragon horde, which then spawns acheron.

I didn't notice much in the game. I ran it, got a crash dump and analyzed that. While it ran I noticed it is bloody huge and I was surprised I was able to load it at all on my poor laptop (it's old! And abused).

The line of sight bug has been popping up on occasion for a long time, I had thought I had it mostly squished, need to wait for inspiration to strike again sometime to know where else to patch things up.

I just used Duin to (re)capture a city guarded only by a catapult and a chest containing Orthus's Axe. I was hoping to give him the Axe, but it wasn't there when he captured the city.

Edit: My next game just CtD'd in a way that looked as if I had just closed it myself, without so much as a message asking if I want to report it.

Typically those kind of crashes are graphical. Could use a save on the chest if you have one, shouldn't have been deleted, but there may have been a special "remove barbarians" code which I missed somewhere. I'm thinking about setting up some rigid blocks for the chests though which prevent them from ever being moved or (while they have any promotions) killed.

Typically those kind of crashes are graphical. Could use a save on the chest if you have one, shouldn't have been deleted, but there may have been a special "remove barbarians" code which I missed somewhere. I'm thinking about setting up some rigid blocks for the chests though which prevent them from ever being moved or (while they have any promotions) killed.

Here's a save I just made which demonstrates the issue perfectly. Take your warrior and crush the calabim cities. There's a warrior with a jeweled amulet in each of them. When you attack the north city, the amulet will drop, and you'll be able to see it, but when you take the city, it is destroyed. When you attack the southern city, it probably drops, but is immediately destroyed.

Attachments

• test2.CivBeyondSwordSave
    30.6 KB · Views: 49
Quick question. What does the <bRace> tag do exactly, besides making a promotion appear in the appropriate pedia section?

Do different races exclude each other? Will giving a unit a race as a free promotion exempt it from recieving its civs race ?

Elegy of the Sheiam and Hallowing of the Elohim are both broken. There's simply no code for them in onProjectBuilt. Does anyone remember exactly how they should work?

Elegy/Hallowing are missing <iModifyGlobalCounter>(-)5</iModifyGlobalCounter> in ProjectInfos.xml. Fixed in FFPlus. :p

Bug: Jotnar Unit Upgrades

Hunters gained by Dominate or Mind Control can be upgraded to Cyclops (Ranger replacement).
Troll Hunters (the Hunter replacements) only upgrade to Elder Trolls.

This is fixed in FFPlus too... Gave them all unique UnitClasses. Although it wasn't for dominate... Conquerors could (and still can in FF) upgrade units to giants in captured Jotnar cities. :eek:

Out of curiosity, was 6GB all the freespace you had? I am wondering if whatever loop it got stuck in ever ended.
Goodness no. I forcibly ended the program. It was spinning for almost 10 min. I figured it wasn't coming out of it. I had a good 40GB left... (On my... 500GB hdd... ^.^' )

Hmmm. A little something.

CIV4UnitInfos.xml seems to be mis-encoded, at least relative to the other xml files Ive checked--which is quite a few of them. Its formatting is all fexed up in notepad, and DiffMerge cant even read it, giving an error that it has invalid data for 8 bit unicode. And to select a different encoding scheme to try to read it with ^.^'...

No idea exactly whats wrong with it. *shrugs* Probobly should be poked for clean-ness at some point.

Acheron isn't produced by the animal civ. The barbarian civ builds the dragon horde, which then spawns acheron.
That's exactly my point -- you're missing the idea... What I'm saying is that Acheron to have been spawned in a fashion similar to ANIMAL units as I could find NO barbarian city on the island where the FIVE of them were spawned. I fully realize that Acheron is SUPPOSED to be trained in a barbarian city (where the Dragon's Hoard is placed concurrent with his birth!!!). What I'm saying is that doesn't appear to be what happened in the game since 1) there were FIVE Acherons and 2) there doesn't appear to have been a barbarian city that trained him.

I'm not quite sure how this happened -- that's why I'm reporting it as a bug.

Well... It turns out that the problem I reported for the Calabim isn't just localized to them nor it it related to performing a civ's world spell a second time (after Birthright Regained). In a game that I was playing the Khazad performed their world spell (I forget the name; it's the one that gives them gold for each mine they have and has a 10% chance of turning flatlands into hills).

Anyway, after doing their world spell, in exactly the same fashion as the Calabim they suddenly had cash onhand in the MILLIONS and the production in ALL their cities was a huge (thousands) NEGATIVE number. Also, as with the Calabim, all their cities EXCEPT their capital could still produce buildings and units (super fast I might add!!). Their capital could produce absolutely NOTHING.

This doesn't appear to be an issue with all world spells since I performed the Kahdi and Clan of Embers spells with no problem. Could it be related to be performed late in the game (close to or beyond the 300 turn marker)?

I'm surprised that I'm the only one reporting this issue since I've encountered it in two different games, pretty much terminating the game since it's unfair to those civs to continue.

If anyone can repeat this issue and come up with a fix, it would be much appreciated. At this point I'm afraid to start another FF game because of how frustrating it is NOT to be able to play it to the end...

I'm surprised that I'm the only one reporting this issue since I've encountered it in two different games, pretty much terminating the game since it's unfair to those civs to continue.

Actually, you're the only one reporting a LOT of strange and unheard of issues.

I told you modifying a game in progress is a bad idea.

The multiple acherons bug is most likely caused by you doing something in unitinfos on a game in progress. Multiple worldspells may be caused by the same.

Omegon, are you playing Civ in Linux (using Wine or the like?) I remember hearing a lot of integer underflow errors in a Wine thread in the main forums a while back...

Top Bottom