Fall Further Wiki

You forgot to mention Austrin.

oh by the way, I'll work on more pegasus riders once the recurve archer is done. I think I know what I need to accomplish it now. :)

Again, I apologize for implying Fall Further was poorly designed. And, yes, I ad-hoced a crappy example. I blame the Bush presidency. Although, I'll point out, I was trying to answer another poster's question "Why are there two dwarven races", not trying to recreate Kael's (and team's) actual design choices.

But I still stand by the statement that I can't understand the design choices for these Civs from history text on the Wiki. In fact, just reading a bunch of background info and unit lists for a Civ does leave me without the information by which I could judge for myself, "Do these guys design like professionals." [Thoughts like that are a handicap of coming from the industry, for which I should also apologize. It's both presumptuous and arrogant.]

You have both done a great job of pointing out that earnest design effort went into this modmod, but sadly, the next person who has the same thought will have to go through the same conversation. I doubt this is a forum topic people would think to search for; at least, I sure didn't.

And I would rather get back to the request that more Civ details be posted on the Wiki.

As a potentially interested player, I have no idea which Civ I should start with. The link to the Wiki is the top stickied topic on the forum. There is inconsistent detail on the game elements and strategy to be explored for each of these races on the Twiki.

As an interested player that comes from playing every FfH Civ, my first visit to this sub-forum pointed me at that Wiki as potentially being the place to start. "Certainly," I thought, "it's got to be easier than weeding through nine pages of forum topics on this one Modmod."

What Civ descriptions I could find in the FAQ, I have moved to the Wiki. Not all of the Civs were listed there, however.

(I thought the Scions of Patria's description did a great job of laying out what I should expect if I choose them as my Civ.)

The wiki is a brand new thing, being developed by the community. It is FAR from complete, and people are simply adding to it as they go..... Honestly, the best bet is just to play the game. :lol:

;) Yeah, but I can read the wiki at work. I can't play the game here.

And I would rather get back to the request that more Civ details be posted on the Wiki.

As a potentially interested player, I have no idea which Civ I should start with. The link to the Wiki is the top stickied topic on the forum. There is inconsistent detail on the game elements and strategy to be explored for each of these races on the Twiki.

As an interested player that comes from playing every FfH Civ, my first visit to this sub-forum pointed me at that Wiki as potentially being the place to start. "Certainly," I thought, "it's got to be easier than weeding through nine pages of forum topics on this one Modmod."

Heh - it was even more fun when it was all one thread (100 pages or so) :D

The Wiki is mostly a community project - I put up a blank MediaWiki at the request of some of the regulars and they've been filling it out for themselves and as a reference to new players - which is very useful for getting the basics of a civ before playing them. I must admit I don't get asked often about the initial design process - FfH does attract a lot of RPGers and fantasy fans, so the story is often the more important element from a players point of view (which is why we always try to get some decent lore text in for each civ). That's also what the guys doing the wiki have easy access to, so it's what they include. I suspect at some point there'll be a "strategy guide" for the new civs that will go into some detail about how to use their features effectively, but that's purely reliant on someone having the time/desire to do it.

I must confess the level of documentation has dropped since the initial releases. I did originally make sure everything had a pretty good explanation in the 'pedia (for the first 5 civs at least), though there's a lot now that isn't done as well as I'd like. That's something I'd like to come back to in the future.

====

The other reason of course that the Wiki might be missing those details is that the guys that did all the original work on it (which is much appreciated) went off and started modding FF for themselves :D

You just can't get the staff these days... :mischief:

I think mostly it boils down to exactly what happened for Fall from Heaven: Someone who is a forum buff needs to be the one to write it up and submit it, or someone who is curious (like you) needs to sit down with the code/forums and piece it together for themselves (in my case I was the second, but developed into the first, then progressed into Modding). I personally haven't actually played a full game of Fall Further, hadn't even played Fall from Heaven for a few months before I started to work with Vehem here. I have a TON of mechanics I want to introduce and/or polish for Civ to make the game do things which I find to be interesting. Right now we have some of them done, and a ton of them halfway done. I personally am not actually qualified to describe (or even LIST) all of the new Civs, and actually am probably wrong about quite a few mechanics in base FfH even at this point (you'll notice the manual is considerably out of date at this point). The other team members might have the time and inclination to sit down and write something up, but the flaw there is that we know what is coming next (or what we WANT to come next at least), and will write about THAT more than what is NOW (since it excites us more). A Forum-Buff or Code-Diver would only be able to use what is already there in front of them and inform new players what already exists, thus provide better information.

So, summary: Your initial request was for the team to do it, then you admitted that it is a good thing that the FfH team hadn't written their own manual and instead focused on implementation. I just want to point out that the same applies on our end: Designers should design, fans should comment (and designers get involved when there is a disparity of course) ;)

The other reason of course that the Wiki might be missing those details is that the guys that did all the original work on it (which is much appreciated) went off and started modding FF for themselves :D

You just can't get the staff these days... :mischief:

Haha basically. Deon doesn't seem to get on much anymore, and Warkirby and I are now busy with our own versions of the mod. :lol:

I have started writing entries for the Archos civ I am more or less using the pedia except where there is no info or strange grammar. Pretty easy once I figured out how to setup the pages. I accidentally erased the Tribesmen entry so I had to replace it (Sorry!).

Also, is it me or could Grantor have contributed to the wiki in the time it took him to complain?

Still wasted a bunch of time, I just jumped right into FFH2 and all it's mod mods.

Also, is it me or could Grantor have contributed to the wiki in the time it took him to complain?

Er, yeah... I did that too. Added the stuff from the FAQ to the descriptions. After I found that stuff.

Thanks for the helpful tip, deadliver.

No problem Grantor! Welcome to our happy family.

He really ought to do a mirror image effect on that so it stares at the person on the computer instead of off the side of the screen :)

What am I? Chopped pig's liver?!?

I think we could do with an FF Modules page on the wiki, for all the wonderful little modules that are appearing.

A central resource where all currently compatible modules are recorded, and people can add their own.

Top Bottom