1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Fall Patch changes discussion thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Tinker, Oct 1, 2013.

1. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

There is no logic in the ability to buy a pikeman 1929.

One way to change this is to let LK have its own upgrade path so when you hit riflling you instead buy another type of mercenary (riflemen replacement) and of course you could upgrade your LK to this. And then also a GW infantry replacement and so on. So if you have taken this SP you will always during the game have a mercenary available of the latest type that is known to you.

Although I do think they should obsolete them when you hit the Industrial Era or something or even with the Lancer kicks in.

2. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

That would easily make Mercenary Armies the worst policy in the game.

3. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

Because the AI probably can't understand the concept of buying a LK in the Atomic Era and then upgrade it first to a Lancer and then to a AT-gun and even to a Helicopter. The AI just sees LK and will skip buying it because it is not good anymore.
    So if we don't obsolete LK, this SP will be a human player only deal. So either remove the unit with the Industrial Era or something or add new units through the eras so when an AI evaluates what to do with its money, it see "Mercenary Infantry, lets buy that.
    Or sure if the devs can make the AI understand that it can actually buy a LK, move it out of the city and then upgrade it to a Lancer and then, the next turn upgrade it again and so on, sure let it stay.

4. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

Okay, this would be way better and your 'The AI doesn't know to use it'-argument is quite valid!
    So, my 'perfect' has to be relativized into 'good enough for what we can expect to get'.

True enough, Landsknechte in the infantry upgrade path would be way better (and reasonable) than the anti-mounted path. Even if helicopters with no movement cost for pillaging are awesome, their city capture-bonus is in vain.

So 'Aye' for your proposal. There even doesn't need to be a mercenary-specific unit graphic for more modern mercs, if you ask me.

5. Quineloe

Quineloe Prince

That policy is basically intended to buff the Pentagon to not be the worst world wonder besides Angkor Wat anymore.

6. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

Then use that to your advantage instead of complaining about it. After I built Cathedrals and Mosques in my 3-4 cities as quickly as possible with faith, I welcomed any switches to other religions and were able to build Pagodas too, and then in one city, Monastery. Play at Immortal or Deity and you'll have a strategy of getting a Pantheon for an early boost and then let a neighboring religion come - helps with diplomacy and tourism. You'll still win the game because there is not a Religious Victory, it's just a mean to an end.

7. Liegence

Liegence Warlord

How about:

Landsknecht upgrades to Hessian (gunpowder) upgrades to Gurkha (rifles) upgrades to Foreign Legion?

Cultures vary but idea is the same :p

8. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

I wouldn't mind scaling mercenaries. Especially since if you are unable to use Landsknecht due to map or whatever, such as starting on a smaller continent, but still want to play around with the Commerce tree it is a complete waste of a policy.

I believe the units still unlock on certain techs and the policy just allows you to purchase them, correct? So should be easy to throw on a few more units in the later eras. Once you unlock the tech, it opens up the new mercenary option.

9. Gort

Gort Emperor

If you look up "mercenary" on Wikipedia, Gurkhas and Foreign Legion come up as two of the groups that specifically aren't mercenaries.

10. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Chieftain

Hey everyone! Sorry for derailing the discussion... but I am now very clueless regarding the status of the patch and hoped you could provide some answers for me. :)

My Civ games usually take about a week (Marathon+RL). Since the Beta thing started, I haven't played, since I wrongly assumed that the patch would probably be online right after the Beta. Now I'm in quite an awkward position, plus massive Civ withdrawal ;).

It goes like this:

a) If I start a new game now without the Beta, the patch will probably arrive right in the middle of it and make it unusable.

b) I'm also not sure if the Beta Patch is still there or not; it's supposed to not be there, but people have posted that it is. If I started a new game now with the Beta, and the real patch arrived in the middle, would the game still work?

(Plus, I have no idea how Beta things work and if I could get that thing started with my abysmal computer skills)

So...I'd just like to play Civ again, but would also really like to know when the patch finally arrives. :(

11. Quineloe

Quineloe Prince

btw, if a landsknecht pillages and then doesn't perform an action, will he heal another 10hp?

12. glider1

glider1 Deity

Hey Silmar, go for the patch by following directions Dshirk posted. If you can't get it because it has expired, you will have to wait until official release otherwise there is a poss that save game will break. If you can get beta, the official release will be compatible with beta games.

13. turingmachine

turingmachine Emperor

The only thing that annoys me about the LK keeping its promotions on upgrade is that its an indirect nerf to the Ottoman Siphai, which wasn't the strongest Unit.

An upgrade LK to Lancer has all the pillaging and sight bonuses of the Siphai. It will still have one less movement, but your effectively letting everyone get a unit almost identical the Ottoman's second UU whenever.

14. Suntechnique

Suntechnique Chieftain

Sun King pantheon is a bit OP?

Spoiler :

wheat on river become improved Lake Victoria once you get to CS...

15. Liegence

Liegence Warlord

They do not meet the definition of mercenaries as defined in the Geneva conventions, yes. Were they enlisted non-nationals motivated by compensation? Perhaps. Wiki likely solely traces their non mercenary status based on the Geneva conventions, and since mercenaries violate international law you will likely not find a reliable title for late game mercs other than maybe Blackwater Contractor :p

16. fuzzatron717

fuzzatron717 Holy Warrior

Holy Moses that is a ton of food!

17. Hinterlander

Hinterlander Chieftain

Situational anything does not equal OP.

18. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

The main thing that holds Sun God back is the fact that you're probably not going to get it all game. Taking a pantheon that doesn't provide faith is always risky.

Of course, if you're not going for a religion that early game boost to food production is still downright silly. Definitely a no-brainer pantheon if it is at all applicable and you don't think religion is an option.

19. kingchris20

kingchris20 Wisdom Seeker

Resident of Heaven; Currently in the Waiting Room
    After the first 130 turns, main thing I'm noticing is that the AI is actually coming to me for my spare luxuries......with decent deals! Already lovin that!

20. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Yes, that pantheon does work as a no religion one. But what I was actually thinking was Piety start so you'd still have a religion. It works best if your pantheon does NOT provide a large faith bonus because extra faith easily results in already enhancing the religion before completing the tree. (That tree would perform better with a culture producing one, but the AI tends to love those.)