1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Fall patch discussion thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Skulbow, Nov 17, 2016.

1. barbarianscientist

barbarianscientist Chieftain

Can no longer declare a Joint War if it is invalid for either party
    - this is massive. No longer being at war with unmet players

Tiger Genocide and ltccone like this.
  2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

While one agrees to some small degree that this is a mechanic for gameplay rather than match on reality museums do theme to some degree with particular tourist drawing exhibits which is what tourism is about. One disagrees about it being just pattern matching. Indeed many seem to complain it is hard to get the matching with the GPP they receive. That is I believe because one has to trade for works and hold unmatched works in banks.
    If one wants to destroy an non matching piece then one simply can trade / give it away. I found this tactic works just fine but does require some tact at times.

3. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Good points about rank-and-file melee having promotion advantages. As for niter and iron--well, you only need one. Niter I actually find plentiful (although that may just be dumb luck). And don't forget, if a CS has those resources you can suzerain it for a turn to get those upgrades done.

4. lietkynes

lietkynes Hello sword !

They can also use siege towers. Which would be quite hilarious in real life and makes no sense whatsoever.

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  5. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Can anyone verify how the patch affects games saved pre-patch?

6. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I agree about the exhibits. Big museums rarely put their entire collections on display at one time. Perhaps a system whereby Her Majesty could curate particular exhibits to entice tourists from specific nations, allowing her to make "strategic" choices with her works of art? For instance, an exhibit of "French masters" could attract French tourists, as well as allies of the French, such as those ingrates from across the pond, but might discourage anyone who takes a dim view of the French.

Atlas627 and Victoria like this.
  7. Ravenwild

Ravenwild Chieftain

True. I forgot about the suzerain resources.

8. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

But melee promotions give no bonuses vs mounted units. If mounted units are considered overpowered in multiplayer, which I can very well understand, then the melee promos don't do anything to help the situation. And horseman upkeep is exactly the same as swordsman. It's not right to compare them to warriors, since warriors are a lot weaker.
    The problem with moving around artifacts and art for theming is that there aren't any meaningful choices to be made. Interesting gameplay mechanics have you weighing the pros and cons of your options to find the best way to proceed. There are no pros with not theming and no cons with theming (unless you are trying to avoid cultural victory), which makes this something you just have to do. It doesn't make the late game more interesting, only adds unnecessary micromanagement.

Atlas627, TheMeInTeam and Victoria like this.
  9. Ravenwild

Ravenwild Chieftain

Yeah but it's +7 against everything.

10. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

Last time I checked it was +7 vs melee and ranged. A later promo gives +7 vs anti-cavalry. Or has this changed in the patch? Edit: nope, hasn't changed, battlecry is +7 vs melee and ranged.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  11. Ravenwild

Ravenwild Chieftain

Not 100% but I'm pretty sure it applies to horsemen as well. Either way, I was just trying to make a point of people just looking at warrior class units vs horsemen in a vacuum instead of looking at the whole picture.

12. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

The fact one hay have to trade/steal/sue is a good start, at least it is something so I feel you are a little harsh in this respect.
    I do however agree that the mechanics could be improved and I very much likes EgonSpenglers option below. I do like positive suggestions for improvement instead of just saying something is poor.
    So with Egon, we get a french portrait painter GP and can immediately theme for France and perhaps her friends. We could also go for all portraits or all different artists

13. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

On deity, at least, cities were popping a horseman every turn. 1 horse per turn per city. Which might sound exciting,, until you realize that, on a huge map, there are civs a long ways away, maybe across the ocean, that are doing it. Wading through a CoD of that magnitude, that is refreshing that easily, is annoying to the point of being a nightmare.

But more importantly, allowing that kind of production on a military unit, so early in the game, throws the entire multiple victory condition system out of whack, unless/until the other systems are given a tuning pass to bring them in line with warmongering. Production already was the most advantageous resource to focus on. With the ease at which AI cities are conquered, combining easy shields with low-cost units made warmongering a cheat mode.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    Tiger Genocide likes this.
  14. TonkaTruck

TonkaTruck Chieftain

All steps in the right direction and it was soo fast considering this is the gaming industry.
    I feel like removing the freaking huge gold reward for deleting units altogether was the best option, it made no sense to me; you're already getting a reward in terms of lowered upkeep.

smartcanuck1988 likes this.
  15. MetaSkipper

MetaSkipper Chieftain

I haven't had a chance to check. Have the "increased number of spread" effects like Mosques and Hagia Sophia scaled along with the increased base number of spreads?

Also, what is the new default number of spreads?

16. bbbt

bbbt Deity

Maybe a "mixed" type exhibit boosts more domestic tourists while an all one civ exhibit (i.e. all French) increases tourists from that civ? Would require a lot more trading though to get other Civ's works (with the trade-off that they were getting some of your works).

If they just had different ways of theming (all of one type, mixed types, mixed eras, etc.) that gave different bonuses (or appealed to different tourist 'demographics') it would make it more interesting.

Victoria likes this.
  17. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

At the Battle of the Bulge, the Germans were setting the timers on their mortars to blow up in the treetops, so that the exploding trees would shower the allied soldiers with splinters (and larger chunks of wood). Trees can enhance the destructive force of artillery. The best defense against artillery is to be somewhere else.

Tiger Genocide and Olleus like this.
  18. c4c6

c4c6 Prince

Yeah! On disbanding units Civ1 gave you 50% back of the shields needed for production ... and a nice / hard decision too ... because a good alternative to disbanding outdated defensive units (phalanx, musketeer, rifleman) was to fortify them on mountains (100% defense bonus (hills 50%)) near AI cities ...
    {Offensive units became very seldom outdated these days (as chariots as well as tanks lost quite often against the famous phalanxes :D ) - the winner took it all, without injuries.}

19. Chaleb

Chaleb Chieftain

Step in the right direction, but horse units are still overpowered. Well, it's not that horses are OP, it's that melee units and spears suck. With the new movement rules, it's even harder for melee units to get anywhere than it already was in Civ 5, and in Civ 6, they have essentially no benefits over horsemen.

Say you have see an Archer fortified on a hill, you have a melee unit move into a 2 tile range of that Archer, he shoots you. Next turn, you move next to that Archer, but you still can not attack him because he's on a hill. In Civ 5, it didn't work that way, so I think it'd be a huge boon for melee units if they would be able to attack tiles that they don't have the movement points to move into.

Actually, what I would like is that all melee units have a standard movement of 3 instead of 2, it would make them so soooooo much better and by comparison makes horses not that OP.

20. manu-fan

manu-fan Emperor

I like the look of the Patch. I won't get it for a while because I'm on a Mac, but that's OK.

I was looking for 2 things to be addressed, that unfortunately weren't:

Oil scarcity being fixed.
    Last Building built notification being fixed.

Shame these weren't included.