Fall patch discussion thread

I had to add a dummy entry to the <Settings> entry in the .modinfo. Had to do that for both of my mods. No idea why, I saw that someone else had done the same thing so copied it, it references one of the components which might make the difference. It's also got rid of 2 warnings I had in database.log that I had been ignoring.

I did the same and it isn't working. I use your mod so I basically cross-referenced that along with several other mods with similar things. I was wondering if you had done anything else I hadn't found or you knew why you had to do it so I could reverse engineer it somewhat.

I meant sentry not sleep - whatever it's called we need a button that allows units to wake when approached by enemy forces......

'Fortify' should be doing that for you. Fortify should wake your unit when any enemy approaches that was not in it's line of sight before it fortified. It's working for me.

I'm happy that you decided to patch small and early. Please make the next ones small and frequent and the game will get better and better soon enough. Far better than the 'big and rare' approach to patching in civ5 !

'Fortify' should be doing that for you. Fortify should wake your unit when any enemy approaches that was not in it's line of sight before it fortified. It's working for me.

Is that since the patch? Or has it always done that for you?

I think there's a middle ground between ICS and 4-cities... Personally, I'd prefer a system sort of ICS with higher revolting - I.e. plant s many cities as you want but if you can control them all (i.e. keep them all happy, whatever), then some end up revolting and sending barbarians at you (and can be conquered by any civ with no warmonger penalty/declaration of war).
I can confirm that there are numbers between four and infinity. :)

Sure, wide should be possible, but incrementally challenging, and perhaps require the devotion of available resources like civic cards. At the end of the day, whether or not to drop a settler should be a strategic decision, not a no-brainer means to snowball more production, snowball more science, more gold, more, more, more....

I just got back from out of town. I have a pre-patch save in which the game (epic speed) is past 500 turns. Now that the game has been patched do I finish that game or start a new one?

Soooo, did anyone try to play with the patch and notice any difference with the AI?

(I'm asking because I'm away for the weekend, and can't try myself before monday)
Can't say for the tactical AI, but the diplomacy system really works better now. Friendships finally make sense and the bipolarism is much reduced.

It's still bad that AI leaders keep denouncing you for things happened 200 turns ago (you converted that city of mine, you rascal). They should denunce me only once per city, not continuously for the same city...

They should denunce me only once per city, not continuously for the same city...

Yeah, sometimes I feel just implementing some sort of "memory" for the AI would improve the diplomatic interactions vastly. At the moment they're doing that through using an hidden accumulated score for relationships, but they still behave as if they have no memory of individual incidents.

Gettinf money for deleting units was a hilarious exploit that needed to go, for sure. Now though it seems that the AI bankrupts themselves in the first two eras and never advances. I've only played one game on immortal post patch but it seems like the computer now goes bankrupt too easily.

Either that or they just don't research science at all.

I've made it 250 turns on a new game, some thoughts.. AI Diplomacy wise it seems better. I was even able to make a friend/alliance, first time in 60 hours played! Warmonger penalties still seem too severe in the midgame, I took 3 cities around turn ~120 and I'm still being denounced by everyone else in the game at turn 220. Even by Civ's I met afterwards, for being a Warmonger.

Also getting a few new graphical bugs in the late game, all my new apostles have the red ! that barbarian scouts gets when alerted. In addition seemingly random tiles have red circles on them, as if targeting with a ranged unit.

Pretty happy with everything else as a first patch. Really hoping next patch has 1. Restart button, 2. Sentry/alert button, and 3. Remember new game menu settings. :thumbsup:

No. Am I the only one around here that loves ICS? I would hate to go back to that 4 city mini-game.

I also prefer Civ VI's expansion-friendly meta to Civ V's 4 city Tradition empires. However, if that's going to be the case, then they need to program the AI to expand rapidly! Right now I can get to six or seven cities while all the Deity AIs are stuck on three or four. It should be the other way around! The Civ III and Civ IV AIs were great at expanding quickly so this should be achievable.

I ran a quick prince game with Kongo this afternoon just to get a good feel for it. Went 6 cities wide, and won cultural victory.

Key things to note:

1. Sumeria is going to be even scarier than they were before, now that they upgrade their war carts into knights without wasting time. Boy did he have a lot of them too. (He even came after me with two other civs between us.)

2. I found a new bug where that red exclamation mark for the barbarian scout, now gets stuck on other civs units for some strange reason.

3. The AI (Sumeria at least) brought a bombard and actually tried to use it on me. I took it out fast before he could get into range of my city, so I cannot tell you if he would have used it correctly all the way.

4. Egypt still struggles early on, like before, but caught up big time mid game. Which is a good thing. Same for Monty.

5. The AI now seems to really target spying on your capital. I collected 6 jailed spies from my capital, and too many countless dead ones. They never tried my other cities. Might need to play Emperor or Immortal this weekend to see if they spread out their spies or not.

6. For the first time ever, I became friends with Rome, could initiate embassies, and managed to get allied with him. Allying with him and Egypt made Sumeria angry and he DOW'd me some turns later. This is good. Never got this to happen before.

7. I only had two enemies by the end of the game Monty and Pedro (Brazil) (jealous because I took all the great people). Everyone else was friendly, neutral, or ally.

8. Got to try a research agreement for the very first time. It's kinda cool how it works. It targets a specific tech and you pay them the incentive to participate.

9. Deploying airplanes still seems to trigger troops at their borders whining.

10. The AI still needs work in battle, but they do seem to hit and run (more and better than before) and change targets (cities). I could have sworn it tried to flank me too, but that could have been the coffee talkin. I dunno gotta play another game on to know for sure.

11. Sumeria was suzerain of a city state south of me. They were hurting me so badly, with their own knights, I had to out-suzerain them out of that city state ASAP.

12. No one DOW'd me that was not capable of kicking my butt. I still need to have a game against Suicidal Harold to know for sure, but before the patch, just about any civ would try to fight me even if their military score was way below mine.

If some players that never go above Prince have a hard time with the game before the patch, it might actually get harder unless you handpick the civs to play with. No Sumeria or Scythia, perhaps. The guy earlier talking about how intense the Mamluk rush was, that he got hit with, reminded me of the Sumeria knight rush. It caught me way off guard and surprised me big time. I actually had to go into a war-time mode and stopped doing culture stuff just to get them and that city state off me.

Played a post-patch Deity game as Japan. I played religiously (i.e., suboptimally), so it was no surprise that the top couple AIs were able to outbuild me. Gilgamesh hit the Information Era about Turn 200 which isn't too bad. Unfortunately Germany and India stayed put at three cities all game. Deity AIs should never do this. Scythia did sprawl out to about 10 cities, but she definitely had room for 5 or 6 more and didn't bother. Firaxis, program your AI to expand on high levels!

The warmonger penalties are still too high. Taking over Hong Kong in the Medieval Era made me a global pariah. This needs to be reduced further, or gotten rid of altogether.

For some more positive diplomatic news, all of the AIs accepted my delegations. That's a good change.

I did notice a dramatic improvement in the quality of AI armies and especially of city-state armies. Lots of varied unit types, far fewer late-game warriors. That was nice to see.

Overall, I'd say the AI's army building has definitely improved. Hard to say if the economic AI is significantly better or not.

Last edited:
Just some observations on first game after the patch, this is on Emperor.
  • Different governments now seems to have a much larger effect on diplomacy, like -14 in some cases
  • Diplomacy overall seems a bit more stable
  • AI seems to be expanding more
  • Game seems to be running smoother with DX12
  • Some nice graphical tweaks (like snow on buildings/districts built on tundra/snow tiles)

Different governments now seems to have a much larger effect on diplomacy, like -14 in some cases

I am not a fan of this modifier. I can maybe understand it in the late game as the world divides into fascist/democratic/communist blocs, but in the early game? The Deity AI is going to hit Political Philosophy way before any player possibly could, and getting slapped with a -6 penalty during that time is just lame.

No. Am I the only one around here that loves ICS? I would hate to go back to that 4 city mini-game.

I don't like ICS, but I don't mind if it's one of the viable strategies. If now players can't win unless using ICS at most of the difficulties, then I'd say there's a problem. But unless that's the case, I'm fine with other people playing ICS then say the game is boring and stop playing. I'll just keep playing "normally" and enjoy the journey.

If ICS is so effective, then it can be considered to be like lowering the game difficulty. In that case, just don't use ICS if one is looking for a challenge.

The ideal situation, I think, is one where ICS and 4-city empires and everything in-between are all equally viable, with perhaps each more suitable to different situations, but all perfectly capable of delivering the same results.

Top Bottom