1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Fallout mod.

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by MarineCorps, Apr 10, 2004.

1. HermanCherusker

HermanCherusker Chieftain

On the subject of Water Transport

They would have Boating Followed by Advanced Sailing. I see motorized sea transport as being another branch of boating unusable by the beast lords.

Units: Boat - Transports 1 Unit

Galley - Transports 2 or 3 Units

Slave Galley - Transports 2 or 3 Units but moves faster.

War Galley - Military Sailing vessel (also uses slaves)

Yes, Beastlords can develop slavery. It's a better use for the weak than just killing them.

Also, on water transport they're vessels should go a little slower than the conventional powered ones. (The slave powered ones moving 1 less than regular motorized units). :whipped:

Thor,
    I think I understand what you mean by using other existing techs for their tech tree.

Herman der Cherusker
    (Scourge of Rome)

2. flamescreen

flamescreen Ancient Mariner

Well, have in mind that from what seems possible, there will not be too much naval technology in the mod, so three units are more than adequate. Also these were too advanced. For tribals which Beastlords are more or less, i'd imagine a Galley is a bit too much.

If anything, in a post apocalyptic world, you'll be thinking of survival much more of building stuff, especially if you lack the tech(and Tribals are quite backwards).

At best I'd imagine of rafts and primitive small boats being constructed to help transfer one(though we didn't really get to see that in the RPG's, but the map probably includes sea, so maybe use that in some way).

Hey thor, I expect to see a preview of what it looks like in the map and one of the existing units next to it, so I know what it looks like, sizewise. DON'T include it in the mod, it's the small size(140 not 160) as a placeholder until I see what can I do with palettes(So you can keep the color you picked for VC)

On other news, I have what I need for the worker and 'll be starting working on it these days and I even got a reply from a modeller about what I'll use as a pipboy device(which is great cause his model is better than mine).

Btw, welcome Miloch and the mod is almost done and will be available through the board in a few days time(J/K :lol: ) Truth is, I doubt Thorgrimm knows even. We add new things by the minute as you can see.

Edit: Almost forgot, take care with your pneumonia, my sister had it and it still bugs her.

3. fe3333au

fe3333au Deity

Pardon my ignorance as I'm not familiar with the game ... but would the tribals be similar to the mohawked punk raiders in Mad Max. If so they would be using 'found' objects which have been crudely modified and armoured.

Just a thought :goodjob:

4. flamescreen

No, in Fallout, that's the Raiders(another civ), but you're right, FO uses Mad Max as an inspiration, and the Raiders actually are quite good scavengers amongst other things. In fact the leather suit for raiders is what Mel Gibson was wearing in MdMx2.

Tribals are more or less at a lever of pro-colonisation natives(without horses and such). And the Beastmasters are a FoT innovation if I'm not mistaken.

When I'm saying the Tribals would construct, is because Fallout officially is many years after the war(though for this mod, less than a decade) so already made stuff would be too rare, you'd have to create your own crude tools at some point.

5. fe3333au

fe3333au Deity

Thanks Flamescreen understood ...

OT - knew one of the costume designers for Mad Max III, designed the feral kids' look :cool:

Keep up the good work Guyz :goodjob:

6. HermanCherusker

Flamescreen,

I'm am not completely familiar with all the game mechanics. My suggestions are just that, suggestions. :crazyeye: What I do need from people, like yourself, who have mastered the game is just how workable these are. Yes, I know, that's what you just did. :goodjob:

At any rate, Thorgrim stated he was wanting suggestions to fill up the tech eras 2 and 4 in the tech tree and that is what I'm trying to help with.

To that effect, Boating seemed to be a tech that needed some add-ons at tech 2. Therefore, I thought of advanced sailing followed by Powered Boats(requiring motorized transportation).

Back to the subject of Beastlords, perhaps Galley is not the correct term and the idea needs revisement. It seems simple boat at the boat technology level for everyone and with advanced sailing (slavery as prerequiste) Slave Barges. Slightly faster movement and more loading capacity. Of course, Beastlords would not develop Powered Boats.

To all the experts/fallout-Civ3 designers :king: ,
    please send feedback as to what is workable,

Herman der Cherusker
    (Scourge of Rome)

7. Miloch

Miloch Chieftain

Flamescreen, thanks for the welcome. ;) The mod is looking good and I hardly expect it to be done soon but I was curious how close it actually is to comepletion. ;)
    My thoughts on Beastlord naval tech are that they mainly would have scavanged boats. You say there wouldn't really be much left but look at the fallout series. You are constantly finding pre-apcolypse technology, even if someone else found it first. :devil: What really comes to mind first is the beastlords taming sea serpents or other such water monsters. But, that's no good unless you can find someone willing to make the graphics for you.
    Now the Beastlords should primarily get units unable to leave the coast but that should be true for most everyone. ;) Only the technologicaly advanced factions would be able to construct good boats at a relatively early phase in their existance. If they can make powered armor I think they have the tech to make a modern troop transport. ;)
    Also you gotta remember sometimes you need to sacrifice realism for balance and work-ability. I work on a mud and have to deal with that all the time. [pissed]

8. Thorgrimm

Thorgrimm Senior Elder

Flame, I will get that screenie up in the next day or so.

As for naval units, in the begining there are only 2 naval units in the game, one rusty oil tanker, and one old gunboat, both owned by the Enclave. The Enclave will have the inside track on naval production as they need it to travel to and from their main city on the platform. As for others it will be in the 4th age before they are able to develop ant form of boatbuilding. The logic behind that is it is not needed to survive on the land and they have no pressing need for naval units, unlike the Enclave.

The Beasties will NOT be building ANY form of naval unit what so ever, period. As their concept is critters, not tech, except for what they can scavenge.

Cheers Senior Elder Thorgrimm

9. HermanCherusker

Misunderstood a concept here. I for some reason thought this mod would be working on the principle of random maps. And make their tech a little more generic and encompassing than necessary. :spank:

Oh well :cry: ,

Thorgrim, just to make sure I understand the basics on the beasties tech tree here is a prototype(in the works) of the first 2 tech eras...

Tech era 1 Genetics -> Genetic Tailoring -> FEV Virus
    Scavenging ->Barter ->Currency->Medicine

Tech era 2 - Savage Empathy->Savage Mastery
    Slavery->Fortification->Construction
    Holistic Medicine

Note: Beastlords have embraced the more feral aspect of the natural world. As such they lack the mindset required for the more complex engineering works. Therefore to build more advanced structures, they require the use of slaves to perform the work. Thus until they develop this technology the size of their communities is severly limited. They understand how to build it they just lack the patience & perseverence to do the job.

Okay folks,
    I would appreciate some feedback on this...

Herman der Cherusker
    (Scourge of Rome)

10. Thorgrimm

Thorgrimm Senior Elder

Herman, that is an outstanding start! Now attach what units, buildings, and wonders go with what. Also needed would be resources needed to make those items. Then finish eras 3 and 4.
    Damn good job dude. Keep this up and you will be added to the full playtest mod list. That is the list of folks who get the full units to test instead of PH units.

11. flamescreen

I don't have the faintest idea about the game, let me tell you. I'm hardly an expert, as I finished the games, but didn't have time to play them that much and I remember FO best(Then Fot and much less FO2). I just try to think what I'd do in an occasion Fallout happened.

As you can see, mine are suggestions as well(in an attempt to guide, not TELL you how to go). Thor thinks you're doing well with what you're coming up with, so you must. Also, go back to the thread and search for the tech-tree Thor posted somewhere(It seems you have a copy of the techs, but it's easier on visual).

In my knowledge, it seems it has already changed quite a bit, but it will give you an idea of what possible techs are(though it seems Thor is fashioning a separate tree for every civ now).

I don't know if Thor agrees with this, but even though this is a mod that will in fact produce Random maps(it seemed so at least), it still is Fallout, and Fallout is land, not water. Also the core of USA is land, only a small portion is sea-side, and traditional sea-faring civs are those that their daily-lives have to do with water(Especially the Minoans) throughout history.

It just seems logical to get back the technology around you, before it deriorates further, than going about in sea, that was my reasoning.

Edit: Thor, after you post it, tell me what you think of it. I want to know how good it is/looks, obviously.

12. Esteban

Esteban Chieftain

This mod looks seriously very sweet

13. HermanCherusker

It seems to me that something a little more creative than Tech Era 1 , Tech Era 2, Tech Era 3, & Tech Era 4 might be in order. So I thought of alternate names:

Tech Era 1 = Scavenger Era - Survival is based upon people picking up any useful items & basic resources from the old world and making use of them. Crude and rudimentary technology is developed or pre-existing ones are salvaged.

Tech Era 2 = Foundation Era - New empires are based upon those who survived and preferably thrived in the 1st post-apocalyptic era. Thus forming the foundations of new societies. Newly evolved environmental resources are utilized. Sometimes brutal institutions and social concepts are utilized to insure a civilization's dominance.

Tech Era 3 = Reformation Era - Empires evolve and form the basis of new civilizations. Early advanced technology is either recreated or new types developed on the basis of pre-existing ones. Several Technology infra-structures are rebuilt.

Tech Era 4 = NeoUrban Era - Something resembling a pre-apocalyptic era is achieved in the fledgling empires. For some this can be represented small domed towns or it could be areas cleared of toxic waste allowing more productive farms. This may also represent life either engineered or adapted to the new conditions allowing for a more advanced society to thrive.

Okay now for the feedback. :cringe:

Herman der Cherusker
    (Scourge of Rome)

14. Thorgrimm

Thorgrimm Senior Elder

Herman, i like your enthuasim, but the eras are already named. :)

Era one is:
    TWILIGHT, The nukes have just went off, and you must try and survive the long night.

Era two is:
    SURVIVAL, The long night is over, but the terrors are just emerging from the blasted irradiated wastelands. You must survive the onslaught of the vermin of the wastes, both two and multi-legged types.

Era three is:
    REBIRTH, The terrors are being held back, and now is the time to try and push back the terrors and the wastelands they inhabit.

Era four is:
    RESTORATION, The wastes and terrors have been pushed back, now is the time to try and establish your culture and civilization as the dominant one in the new world.

So you can see i had that covered. ;) :D

Flame, the map is a fixed one, of California, Nevada, and parts of Arizona, Oregon, and Colorado.
    Sorry about not gatting much done lately, but still recovering from the BP. :sad: I will get that screenie soon.

:nuke: Cheers Senior Elder Thorgrimm :nuke:

15. Crash757

Crash757 King

Will there be some cities from beginning or just settlers ?

I'd prefer mixed variant, when some civs got cities from beginning, some just settlers ;)

16. flamescreen

That's ok, not a problem Thor. Health cannot be regained after all, if you lose it. I like the fixed map aspect. Re-thinkign the random map, it wouldn't be possible to control the world in a way it'd still remind fallout.

17. Thorgrimm

Thorgrimm Senior Elder

Crash, all civs will begin with one village. As the attacks by the barbs and raider civs will be extremely heavy from the beginning. If you did not have that village and it's special protection, you would be wiped real fast.
    This mod will be difficult to win. As the barbs are going to be set for raging, and they will have LOTS of barb camps. Then there will be non-player raider and slaver civs that can't settle but can enslave and conquer villages. They will also pump out raider and slaver units by the bucket.

Flame, that was my thought also, as when i began i toyed with the idea of a random map, and then discarded the idea as unworkable. It would be good for a non Fallout post apoc mod, but not Fallout.

18. HermanCherusker

What is the best way to insert an image here?

At this time it is unlikely I can make any unit drawings. But there may be a few graphics I'd like to add. Can can someone give me some pointers?

Thorgrimm,

Oh well, I had a momentary inspiration about era names but I'll just have work on other aspects of this mod now. Also, on one of your techs you list Milstones Reclamation. Could you give me clearer definition what this is? And, If you have time>Could you also clarify Law of the Road & Neutrino Deflection? :confused:

Thanks,

Herman der Cherusker
    (Scourge of Rome)

19. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Just go in advanced mode for your reply, check down until you see 'manage attachement', and upload the file (must be less than 500kb). It will automatically appear at the end of your post (although you won't see it in the preview). For larger files, you have to upload the file first using the link at the bottom of the screen (in the red line) and then make an hyperlink to the uploaded file in your post. Hope it helps :) Great ideas running here folks!

20. Thorgrimm

Thorgrimm Senior Elder

@Herman, that was a misspelling, it should be MILSTORES RECLAMATION.
    It means you now have the ability to restore and fix old military equipment you find.

LAW OF THE ROAD is my homage to The Road Warrior. It will be one of the techs that gives you a unit through a building, When FTR finishes the Highwayman, that will be the unit you recieve.

NEUTRINO DEFELECTION is a magnetic shield that deflects the radioactive particles which makes the environment under the shield more conducive to human life. The tech will IIRC give you the neutrino deflector which replaces the hospital for the human civs.

@ Pinktilapia, thanks i am trying to now redo the entire tech tree so that the bots will be different from the muties, who will be different from the humans, who will be different from the Ghouls. Also Flame and I are trying to come up with unique buildings for ALL the civs. So that their buildings will be distinctive from each other.