Fans who pick on deviations from the original source

Show me an adaption that adds to the Canon in a beneficial way?
The Aeneid has a cool scene where Aeneas stops on the island of the Cyclops a month or so after Odysseus left it. In the Odyssey, Odysseus recounts losing some men in the Cyclops' cave, but then, once he escapes from the cave, he gets on his ship with all his remaining men and sails away. But Virgil has it that Odysseus left a crewman on the island. He's terrified and begs the Trojans (future Romans) to rescue him. Makes me smile.

I think Paradise Lost adds to the Canon it adapts (and that's the Mother of All Canons).

Last edited:
The Aeneid has a cool scene where Aeneas stops on the island of the Cyclops a month or so after Odysseus left it. In the Odyssey, Odysseus recounts losing some men in the Cyclops' cave, but then, once he escapes from the cave, he gets on his ship with all his remaining men and sails away. But Virgil has it that Odysseus left a crewman on the island. He's terrified and begs the Trojans (future Romans) to rescue him. Makes me smile.

I think Paradise Lost adds to the Canon it adapts (and that's the Canon to end all canons).

There is hardly an element of the original Celtic legends left in Arthurian canon. Just about everything now regarded as canon was added or changed by Geoffrey of Monmouth, Chretien de Troyes and Malory.

Top Bottom