1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Fastest Science Victory

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Lightning5555, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Switch80

Switch80 Chieftain

This thread is both interesting and helpful for a new deity player such as myself. I still don't quite understand RAs but discussions about city placement, faith, workers all help.

2. Blatc

Blatc Prince

If you're looking at a sub-T200 game, you have to calculate the amount of faith generated from industrial era to finish, plus what you had stored. Let's say you reach Scientific Theory T140, aiming for a T200 finish, that's 60 turns. If you have 600 faith saved up (next prophet at 800), then you have 60 turns to generate 5,400 faith to reach 6k - that's 90 faith/turn. I don't think that is likely on this map, unless you built faith wonders and got the +2 faith per wonder. Since 5k/6k only generates one more GS, I'd suggest this isn't worth the investment and the goal should be 3,500 (or 2,500, with no GE); on this map, I think you can achieve that without building shrines/temples, but should make a point of allying religious CSs near Industrial.
    I do agree that you can build faith buildings when you don't have much else to build, but the better your science game is going the less time you have to build. Also, in a fast game, getting a prophet you don't want shortly before Industrial is most likely wasted faith, as you won't get that faith back by planting. The more you pay attention to smaller details and expected timing of things like happiness leading to next golden age (perhaps aligning with Worlds Fair) and Faith leading into Industrial, the better your game will end up. Along those lines, with multiple Silver on this map, you can look at when your next Silver will be connected and your happiness/city growth, and sell your last copy to get a few more turns of gold or get a lump sum earlier.

3. poxpower

poxpower Prince

Ok is there something weird going on with research agreement and great scientists where you will lose science if you pop multiple of them in one turn?

4. Iamteehee

Iamteehee I only play SV

Beaker overflow is capped at 5 times your science to prevent abusing the beaker overflow bug.

5. poxpower

poxpower Prince

Ok so basically if I pop more than like 2 great scientists, I'm wasting them?

6. Acken

Acken Deity

Depends on what you are poping it.

It's the overflow that is capped, not the amount of GS you can use.

If all your Bulb science goes into the selected tech then nothing goes into overflow.

Example:

You have 2 scientists doing 10000 bulb. You are at 0/9000 of the current tech.
    If you pop one, 9000 are poured into the tech and you have 1000 overflow. If you now have a 5000 tech selected. You have 0/5000 of it (and not 1000/5000 contrary to what the UI may be showing). Bulbing the second would pour 5000 into the tech and increase your overflow by 5000.

Now your total overflow is 5000+1000=6000. This value is capped at 5 times your science rate or the last tech researched base cost whichever is higher. So if you make 1100 science a turn your 6000 will be reduced to 5500 and any other overflow this turn will be wasted.

Overflow is poured into the selected tech the next turn (and can create overflow if it completes the tech). As a rule of thumb just count the number of turns of overflow you created. For example if you have 3 turns left on a tech you created 5 turns of overflow and should therefore avoid any other overflow. If you bulb a tech taking 10 turns you're fine to bulb two in a row for it.

7. poxpower

poxpower Prince

Well that game I got t231 I popped like 5 guys in a single turn so I'm sure that wasted a ton of science : (

Does this also apply for research agreements?
    There was a turn where a research agreement popped and nothing happened. I was 1 turn away from my tech, and 7 turns away from the next. The agreement popped, I got my 1 turn tech ( as I would have anyway ) and then still had 7 turns to get the next.

8. Acken

Acken Deity

Well it works for Research agreement but it's more likely you just got low science for the agreement.

9. adcarrymaokai

adcarrymaokai Emperor

> required DLC not available

Which DLC does this map use?

10. Iamteehee

Iamteehee I only play SV

This is what it shows me when I click the DLC thing on the save. I'm not sure what the Upgrade Data 1 is.

Attached Files:

• asdf.PNG
      asdf.PNG
      File size:
      112.7 KB
      Views:
  11. poxpower

poxpower Prince

I thought they were based on the turn they happen, not the turn you sign them :O
    So does that mean they're basically worthless to take before plastics?

12. Acken

Acken Deity

They are based on the science output of the lowest of the two partners. If you signed it with an average AI this may be low compared to your own output.

13. poxpower

poxpower Prince

Ah ok. Yeah it was to pop the very last tech and probably with the crappiest AI so... didn't do anything basically as the leading AI had like 55 techs at that point while I was at 74.

That's interesting then, do you take any research agreements if you try to go as fast as possible for science?

14. adcarrymaokai

adcarrymaokai Emperor

Me neither. :c

Pretty sure I have all other stuff.

15. Acken

Acken Deity

Its usualy worth the gold yes

16. Babinski

Babinski Chieftain

Erh, I don't know guys. I haven't downloaded a DLC or upgrade in decades.

17. poxpower

poxpower Prince

Ok I wanted to try spain, I got turn 215 with this map today.

All cities settled by turn 40
    NC turn 78
    Education turn 90
    All universities by turn 96
    Astronomy and 3 observatories by turn 110
    Leaning tower around 125
    All public schools in 500ad, no idea what turn that is, like 145 maybe?
    Radio turn 152
    Plastics turn 170ish

Won the world's fair and had 3500 faith at the end. Also got pagodas for my religion, pretty good. Got oracle, petra (turn90 somehow...) and globe theater as well.

Only slight problem for this map is maybe low food and how slow it was to steal workers and move settlers because of all the hills and rivers....
    I also just got 2 research agreements because I thought the AI would just suck too much to make it worth it but maybe not... By the time I got a spy I was already tech leader lol...

Anyway, pretty fun to try this with Spain.

Spoiler :

The map:

Attached Files:

18. Babinski

Babinski Chieftain

Nice job poxpower. SV215, a personal best yes?

It sounds you had a great start. Too bad you couldn't quite keep up that momentum in late game. Still a solid job, good work.
    I think more RA:s would have been worth it. Food looks plentiful, I wonder if it could help to plant Cordoba on coast instead. Also, did you handpick those opponents?

19. poxpower

poxpower Prince

This was a random pangea map with random AIs but I think I had "legendary start" picked. Everything else is random and this is the second map I rolled for Spain. I did restart it once after playing maybe 20-24 turns to scout around, but that seems like an obvious thing to do if you play spain.

Civs were Japan, Siam, Ethiopia, Netherlands, Maya, Russia, Arabia.

I think next time I try this I will try to settle at least one city on a luxury so I can sell it to the AI in peace deal to buy a 4th settler. That way the capital would only have to build a single one, unlike this game where it took too long to get workers on my luxuries. The closest guy was ethiopia, it took like 10 turns to get to him, then 10 turns to get the worker aaaaaaaall the way back to the salt, then 6 more turns to get the salt. By that time he didn't even want to buy the stupid salt because he was too angry.

But spain is awesome, you basically start with two capitals...

20. Babinski

Babinski Chieftain

Yes, but situational. But I guess if you allow yourself to scout around the map and replay you can allways find that wonder first :D. Good practice tho.