1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Settings

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Hydromancerx, Aug 23, 2011.

1. GiuseppeIII

GiuseppeIII The Third Giuseppe

Myy units do this to when i set them on autohunt i think i wrote this in the subdued animale subforum

2. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Should not be happening if you are on the SVN version. If you can set up a save where such a unit will go from friendly terrain to damaging (and not just to cross it quickly) then please post the save for analysis. In general hunters should enter damaging terrain to cross it (where they can see the way out) or to kill something quickly, and then get out. They shouldn't wind up blundering around in it for extended periods however.

One case I can see that might have that effect is if they are trying to reach a distant spot that can ONLY be reached by crossing a large swathe of bad terrain - they are slightly blind to that case (they will compute a least damaging path to a large extent, but if all paths are damaging they won't disregard the target)...

3. Danwood

Danwood Warlord

I wonder which options of the RevDCM window are safe to use (aside stack attack), are there some options you do not recommand for whatever reason? sry to bother again, but a game lasts days in RL and i want to make sure to get the best from it :p

4. GiuseppeIII

GiuseppeIII The Third Giuseppe

They dont just blunder across it they just stay on one spot and dont move

5. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Post the save with details of where to look for a unit doing that and I'll find out why...

6. Desolator

Desolator Warlord

My favorite GAME options are (these are on, all the others off):
    Spoiler :
    - GAMEOPTION_ADVANCED_START (because I play on snail, and start from the very beginning again and again is tooooo slow)
    - GAMEOPTION_FLIPPING_AFTER_CONQUEST (don't know if it has any effect in C2C)
    - GAMEOPTION_RAGING_BARBARIANS
    - GAMEOPTION_AGGRESSIVE_AI
    - GAMEOPTION_NEW_RANDOM_SEED
    - GAMEOPTION_COMPLETE_KILLS
    - GAMEOPTION_LIMITED_RELIGIONS
    - GAMEOPTION_MULTIPLE_PRODUCTION
    - GAMEOPTION_MULTIPLE_RESEARCH
    - GAMEOPTION_MOUNTAINS
    - GAMEOPTION_SAD
    - GAMEOPTION_ADVANCED_DIPLOMACY
    - GAMEOPTION_BARBARIAN_GENERALS
    - GAMEOPTION_ASSIMILATION
    - GAMEOPTION_RUTHLESS_AI
    - GAMEOPTION_PERSONALIZED_MAP
    - GAMEOPTION_ADVANCED_ECONOMY
    - GAMEOPTION_REALISTIC_CULTURE_SPREAD
    - GAMEOPTION_LARGER_CITIES
    - GAMEOPTION_RELIGION_DECAY
    - GAMEOPTION_UNITED_NATIONS
    - GAMEOPTION_ADVANCED_ESPIONAGE
    - GAMEOPTION_CASTLES
    - GAMEOPTION_ARCTIC_AND_PARKS
    - GAMEOPTION_METEOROLOGY
    - GAMEOPTION_CIVIC_BUILDINGS
    - GAMEOPTION_EARLY_BUILDINGS
    - GAMEOPTION_HISTORICAL_WONDERS
    - GAMEOPTION_GUILDS
    - GAMEOPTION_MODERN_CORPORATIONS
    - GAMEOPTION_ADVANCED_NUKES

RevDCM (these are true, others are false):
    Spoiler :
    - RevDCMHiddenAttitude
    - DCM_RANGE_BOMBARD
    - DCM_OPP_FIRE
    - DCM_AIR_BOMBING
    - DCM_ACTIVE_DEFENSE
    - DCM_FIGHTER_ENGAGE
    - DCM_ARCHER_BOMBARD
    - DCM_ATTACK_SUPPORT
    - IDW_ENABLED
    - IDW_PILLAGE_INFLUENCE_ENABLED
    - SS_ENABLED
    - SS_BRIBE
    - SS_ASSASSINATE
    - OC_RESPAWN_HOLY_CITIES
    - LIMITED_RELIGIONS_EXCEPTIONS

RoMSettings (on)
    Spoiler :
    - Show Tech tree era colors
    - Defender Withdraw
    - BattlefieldPromotions
    - BetterAirInterception
    - IgnoreDisabledBuildingAlerts
    - NoStorms
    - RealisiticDiplomacy
    - ShowRevCivics
    - UseLandmarkNames
    - WarPrizes
    - EventImages
    - StrategicEvents
    - MultipleReligionSpread
    - HasRunAND
    - AllowTerraforming
    - Reforestation
    - SeaTunnels

PLE (on)
    Spoiler :
    - Enabled
    - PLE Style
    - Show Buttons
    - Health Bar
    - Hide Health Bar While Fighting
    - Move Bar
    - Wounded Indicator
    - Great General Indicator
    - Promotion Indicator
    - Upgrade Indicator
    - Mission Info
    - Unit Info Hover
    - Move Highlighter

7. Faustmouse

Faustmouse Deity

hi

I would like to have a short comment on the follwoing settings:

1) If I start as minor, will the AI handle it or still be building ridiciously high numbers of troops?

2) How about ruthless AI? Will the AI just act more intelligent when going for war and declare war more often or will it totally cripple it's economy because of high number of troops?

3) Agressive AI: Same questions as above. Does it even make sense to check both?

4) Is the AI able to handle the city limit correct (and this means also that it over-expand if the next civic is close and/or they have plenty of happyness)

5) What about Revolutions? Is the AI now able to deal with them?

6) And what about Divine Prophets?

7) What excactly does "Battlefield promotions" do? I know it gives random free proms if you win a fight. But will this promotion cause your unit to need more XP till the next chooseable promotion? Like you have a unit

XP: 1/3 and you win a fight and get 1 XP and also a free battlefield Promotion, will it be
    XP 2/3 OR XP 2/6?

8) Will Tech Trading helping to make the game harder or easier for the human player?

9) Same question about Tech Brokering.

Thanks in advance :goodjob:

8. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

The AI for Divine Prophets is fairly basic but effective for the AI nonetheless... much as I would play them usually.

9. wolfensoul9

wolfensoul9 Warlord

For seven, if a unit needs two more points to get a promotion, and they get a battlefield promotion, they will still need two more points for their next experience earned promotion. Experience is not affected whatsoever with battlefield promotions.

For eight and nine, it depends on how you make use of it. Overall, it makes the rate of teching much faster for all.

10. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Fixed now. Start as minors should be ok in that regard.

I personally don't recommend them - long term they distort the AIs priorities too much
    It is able to handle them fine. It will build over-limit cities only to the extent its excess happiness allows, and changes to the city limits from civics strongly influence civic decisions.
    It probably handles them a little less well than an experienced human player, but it's greatly improved in recent releases. In my current game the lead AI (who is still way ahead of me) has just entered the industrial era and has about 40 cities, to me 35. It has not had any revolution issues.

11. Faustmouse

Faustmouse Deity

Wow that sounds really impressive! :eek: Awesome job on the AI enhancement here!
    Thanks for the replies.

So it would be ok to switch on start as minors, revolutions and city limits if I want a challenging deity game?

What are the excact effects of Ruthless and agressive AI?
    Building more troops, give war techs a higher priority and declare war more often?
    Or will it also make their attacks sneakier and enhance their war strategies as said in the hoover-over for those options (as far as I know)

12. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

I normally play with REV, city limits, start-as-minors, immortal+increasing difficulty (which pretty much amounts to deity without giving the AIs 2 cities at the start), so you can be sure that those settings get plenty of AI work done on them just because any problems I se myself I tend to try to fix.

Ruthless and aggressive cause more troop building, and greater tendency to attack (but to attack prematurely IMO). They also make it harder to trade with the AI. They tend to hurt the AI economy and cause it to launch inadequate pin-prick attacks too much IMO. They certainly don't cause it to be sneakier.

13. Faustmouse

Faustmouse Deity

Ok yeah, I also wanted the Immortal + Increasing Difficult start. Maybe you should just change deity to not start with 2 cities? I think this is absolutely OP in this mod.

Hm ok, I also noticed that the AI attacks with just a few units rather than building a stack of doom if I play with agressive AI. I thought it was fix as well. I will just turn it off.

Now I really wonder if I could have a challenging game up to the TH era:)

Thanks!

14. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

You know you keep this up and even I might try REV again. :mischief: ;)

JosEPh :old:

15. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

My experience with the latest code is that on these settings you can have an economically challenging game, but not really a militarily challenging one if you choose to go for a steam-roller military strategy. Of course, if you play a map that is likely to have at least two large continents you'll probably find it hard to keep up scientifically with the larger AIs on the continent you cannot get at for a long time, but ultimately the AI is much improved in non-military stuff, but only a little in military tactics. The result is, that if you have access to enough land without ocean crossing, and choose to conquer it all reasonably early, you can still steam-roller to some extent.

I plan to work on the military side of the AI extensively sometime in the next few months.

16. lilcsg199

lilcsg199 Chieftain

Which difficulty is the neutral level playing field difficulty? Is it Nobel still?
    I play on Eternity if that makes a difference.

17. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Yes, Noble puts you and the AI on the same level stats-wise.

18. lilcsg199

lilcsg199 Chieftain

Alright, re-checking twice. Thanks man.

19. Daedwartin

Daedwartin Emperor

Hey guys. Quick question: favorite settings for newest version?

20. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

I don't see why they'd be different than from V26. At least for me, others may have changed since then.