Favourite Quote

Mudrac

Orc Warchief
Hi everybody! I saw numerous threads about "favourite that and that'' in civ, but, I think didn't see any thread about that which quote you find the best in civ 5? Mine is definitely:

"Where tillage begins, other arts follow. The farmers therefore are the founders of human civilization."
- Daniel Webster

Agriculture tech, it sounds so epic and it is so true. ;)

Which quotes you find the best in civ 5?

By far it's the Statue of Liberty quote(also favorite wonder :))
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I like some of the later ones:

"Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate." - Sun Tzu

It's the quote for Stealth, which I frankly never research. Still, an excellent quote from a timeless book. Runner up goes to:

"The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light." - Romans 13:12 (King James Version).

That's the quote for Lasers. I like the sentiment, I like archaic wording, and I like how it feels like it's coming full circle from all the biblical quotes at the start to one more at the end.

"Any man who could kiss a girl while driving safely is simply not giving the kiss the attention it desrves"
- Albert Einstein​

This one is my favorite :D

I'm bad at picking favourites, but...

COLOSSUS
"Why man, he doth bestride the narrow world like a colossus; and we petty men walk under his huge legs, and peep about to find ourselves dishonorable graves."
- William Shakespeare: Julius Caesar

The Colossus is also, by far, one of my favourite wonders. While it's bonuses are great, part of the reason I like building it so much is so I can hear this quote in the narrator's epic voice.

Honourable Mentions:

INDUSTRIAL ERA
“We admit of no government by divine right. The only legitimate right to govern is an express grant of power from the governed.”
–William Henry Harrison

“If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.”
–Mark Twain

DRAMA AND POETRY
"What is drama but life with the dull bits cut out."
- Alfred Hitchcock

PHILOSOPHY
"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance."
- Socrates

INDUSTRIALIZATION
"Industrialization based on machinery, already referred to as a characteristic of our age, is but one aspect of the revolution that is being wrought by technology."
–Emily Greene Balch

"A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse!" - William Shakespeare: Richard III

I look forward to hearing that every game, love the way he says it. On a more serious note:

"The more we elaborate our means of communications, the less we communicate." - J.B. Priestly

and homeless, near a thousand homes i stood, and near a thousand tables pined and wanted food

-refrigeration i think?

"The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is its inefficiency." – Eugene McCarthy.
Civil Service tech.

"Computers are like Old Testament gods: lots of rules and no mercy." – Joseph Campbell
(Computers Tech)

"Architecture has recorded the great ideas of the human race. Not only every religious symbol, but every human thought has its page in that vast book."
–Victor Hugo

Notre Dame's quote.

I also thing that the Internet quote's good.

"The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had."
–Eric Schmidt

Where to begin? Here are some:

Albert Einstein upon researching Combustion: Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.

Aborigines upon building the Sydney Opera House: Those who lose dreaming are lost.

Muhammed upon building the Kremlin: The Law is a fortress on a hill that armies cannot take or floods wash away.

Jean Jacques Rousseau upon researching Banking: Happiness: a good bank account, a good cook and a good digestion.

FDR upon researching Fertilizer: The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.

And, of course:

Indiana Jones (translating the knight's shield) upon building Petra: ...who drinks the water I shall give him, says the Lord, will have a spring inside him welling up for eternal life. Let them bring me to your holy mountain in the place where you dwell. Across the desert and through the mountain to the Canyon of the Crescent Moon...

Dynamite

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."
–Christopher Dawson

Dynamite

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."
–Christopher Dawson

That there is one of the best.

Since that's taken, I'll go with:

Classical Era

"He who knows himself is wise. He who knows others is enlightened." - Lao Tzu

and

Renaissance Era

"Do you not know, my son, with what little understanding the world is ruled?" - Axel Oxenstierna, though sometimes attributed to others.

I couldn't pick just one! Here are my two favorites.

Time crumbles things; everything grows old under the power of Time and is forgotten through the lapse of Time. - Aristotle, after completing Stonehenge

Single-handedly makes me want to stop playing and contemplate the fact that nothing I do will be remembered after a very short period of time, and in fact hardly matters at all. :scared:

Most of us can, as we choose, make of this world either a palace or a prison. - John Lubbock, after completing the Forbidden Palace

Also invokes temporal feelings-- maybe I need to just relax and play Civ.

There are so many good quotes.. One of them
"1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey any orders given to it by human beings, except when such orders conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law." - Isaac Asimov
Robotics
and also,
"We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting." - Kahlil Gibran When building the eiffel tower

Top Bottom