[Feature] Limited Resource Effects

Does a single city always require the same fraction of a resource independent of its population? E.g. does an empire of four cities with a shared 80 population between them require the same amount of resources as an empire of ten cities that are one pop each?

I think my ideal solution, if you can put hover texts, would be:
- white/red color (and appropriate number of :health:/:)) to indicate if the city has access
- total number of resources in the empire (same number in each city)*
- additional details in the hover text, along the lines of: "Given current culture, this city requires 2 additional copies of Bananas to gain access to this resource" or an equivalent message when the city has access.

*The rationale for this is that it's how it used to be, so it's less of a change; and it's good to have information on the total number of resources easily accessible. Also the calculation is a simple one in most cases.
That's a good solution. We can display the total number of resources but use colour to indicate if it is sufficient.

Does a single city always require the same fraction of a resource independent of its population? E.g. does an empire of four cities with a shared 80 population between them require the same amount of resources as an empire of ten cities that are one pop each?
Yes. Resources can only ever provide one health/happiness anyway, so it does not make sense to take city population into account.

By the way, cities do not "consume fractions" of resources. You either have enough resources to supply a city or you do not.

Does anyone have experience with the trade AI? This is the main concern I have with this so far.

Also, I have found a rather simple way to also tie building effects that provide happiness/health with resources into this system as well. I think it makes more sense and allows you to use buildings as a way to funnel these effects to cities that need them regardless of culture.

To clarify, the idea is to limit the number of buildings that can provide an effect from a resource in the same way. If more buildings exist than can be supplied the priority is again by culture. Each of these effects would be independent, so you can have city A with less culture than B and A get happiness from Silk because it has a Market but no base happiness and B get the base happiness but not the extra happiness because it does not have a Market.

To clarify, the idea is to limit the number of buildings that can provide an effect from a resource in the same way. If more buildings exist than can be supplied the priority is again by culture. Each of these effects would be independent, so you can have city A with less culture than B and A get happiness from Silk because it has a Market but no base happiness and B get the base happiness but not the extra happiness because it does not have a Market.
Not sure how I feel about this. You'd be likely to build things like markets, wharfs, etc. in your most developed cities, and if you do then you simply prevent any method for the less developed cities to get the effect from the resources (besides acquiring more copies).

It's true that some of the affected buildings have limited usefulness besides the resource :)/:health:, so the rule would be fine for these. (Pharmacy, Weaver, etc.)

Does it also apply to other resource-based bonuses, such as the Distillery's?

I would say so.

New update:
- the resource total is always displayed in all cities
- resource tooltip in city screens shows required or excess resources for resource effect

Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0275.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0276.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0277.JPG

With this, I consider this feature to be complete. I will wait some days for further feedback and then merge it into the develop branch.

Nice. The wording is weird — "Dublin has 1 - 1 more required" seems to simultaneously imply that Dublin has the resource and does not — but it's not a big deal if you can't / don't want to change it, it's clear enough what is meant.

Do you have another proposal? I didn't put much thought into how it is phrased.

How about "Dublin has 1 - 1 less than required"? Or to be more grammatically correct, "Dublin has 1 - 1 fewer than required"?

If Dublin needs 2, then it is perfectly reasonable for it to have 1 and still need more.

How about "1 available [implied: in the trade network] – 1 more required for Dublin"?

And "3 available – 2 more than needed for Dublin"

Basically, the "Dublin has n" part doesn't seem meaningful, if I understand correctly that it's the whole empire's network that has n, not the city.

New update: clarified wording in resource tooltip

Noticed this twice so far: AI's will trade away excess cereals for nothing (as in, you ask for them, and they are free). Attached a save below where it can be seen with France (who has two Wheats and will give me one for free (I have one already)), as well as a screencap of the aftermath of the 'What do you want for this' function. I had also noticed the same during an America playthrough, where I milked 3 Rices from China for free, at a point where I controlled all of North America with probably around 22 cities (can't find this save).

Spoiler Free Wheat :
upload_2018-4-25_19-33-4.png

Attachments

• Cavour AD-1250 Turn 246.CivBeyondSwordSave
    647.9 KB · Views: 160
That's a good point, the AI probably considers excess resources worthless and will give them away for free. Looks like I still need to include some variant of relative value in its decision making.

New update: AI considers relative value in resource trades

New update: rebased on and then merged into develop.

Please upload saves that lead to a crash.

Top Bottom