1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Featured Games

Discussion in 'Strategy Forum' started by Txurce, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

There are two threads Thal set up in the strategy subforum: GotVEM Spoiler Thread #1 is for early game (pre-Astronomy) discussion and strategy, and GotVEM Spoiler Thread #2 is for late game discussion where you can post your save, finish time, score, etc.

Of course, please be courteous (and fair) and don't read the spoiler threads before playing to the stated times!:thumbsup:

Edit - @Thal: I just noticed that your latest post on the website says that high scores will be posted - doesn't GotM usually go by finish date (with score as a tiebreaker)?

2. Gorhaax

Gorhaax Warlord

Well I've just tried to start my game, but everytime i try it shuts down with a runtime error pointing to the DX11.exe file

At first I thought this was a DX11 issue but i was able to start a seperate game perfectly fine. Deleted the cache and moduser data and moved the appropriate DLC out of the folder.

Just re verifying for a second time in 24 hours to see if it finds something different.

EDIT: that didn't work. Is there anything specifically in this savefile that could screwing this up?

3. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

It appears to be working for most people, but not mitsho or Gorhaax. I'm not sure what the difference might be. Try the steps below... with these steps, your copy of Civ should be identical to those who can load the game:

• Civ version 1.0.1.383.
    • Delete cache.
    • Delete moduserdata.
    • Verify the game files are not corrupted. Firaxis posted instructions on how to do this: click here.
    • All 3 mods in the Game 1 package are installed and enabled (and only those 3 mods installed).
    • Savegame is installed in the "/ModdedSaves/Single" folder, not "/Saves/Single"

4. mitsho

mitsho Deity

So, back from the weekend, only got time now to do the things, but thanks anyways for listing up the list in this thread as well, although I did see it in the other thread. but just now ;)

I went through all the steps and also checked the common checklist. I also did the Firaxis instructions for corrupted game files. But that only installed the DLC's again.

No luck so far. (But tbh I did always play in DX11, so I gonna try that now).

PS: btw. other mods can be installed, right, just not enabled? Because I did not delete all the other mods I'm not using right now (mostly the wonder mods)

5. Thalassicus

Civ 5 reads data from all mods installed in the mods folder, not just enabled ones. It's on the Vanilla Bugs List. This is why the instructions state "no other mods installed," instead of "no other mods enabled." Move other mods out of the mods folder to a backup location like you do with DLCs (no need to delete them completely).

6. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Really? That's news to me. Never had problems with other mods in the mod folder. That's why they had the "enable" function in the modbuddy, right? ;) well, just another debateable decision by Firaxis.

Btw. Which "Instruction"? There's nothing in the readme file?

However, removing those mods didn't help... Still kicks me out as soon as I try to load. Well, if it doesn't want to work, it's not supposed to be.... ;)

7. Thalassicus

There's nothing in your copy of the readme file? Try downloading the package again. The readme has a more detailed list of the instructions than the summary I wrote in post #63. I've never heard of a download corrupting before, but CFC has had issues lately, so it's possible.

8. mitsho

mitsho Deity

What I meant to say is that the Readme of the GOTM says nothing about removing all the other mods from the MODS folder. It may very well be that it is written in the Readme file of VEM.

9. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

It's written in the readme in the GotVEM zip folder - there was a problem with the first release of the GotVEM and it got re-upped a couple hours after the first announcement. Try deleting what you downloaded initially and try again, and hopefully that will work!

10. Txurce

Txurce Deity

That's what I suggested on the prior page. A few people downloaded what might have been a faulty GotVEM package very soon after it first went up. The error was fixed within hours.

11. mitsho

mitsho Deity

I've downloaded it again and again, actually three times if I look at my download history. All afterwards and not in the "first few hours", since I was away, from Thals Post on the last page of this thread.

Btw. That's the text in the readme file. Either I am really bad at English, but I don't see "move all other mods out of MODS"... ;)

Spoiler :
    Game of the Month Instructions:
    1. On your Windows desktop, create a new folder "DLC - Backup."
    2. Move all paid DLCs* to "DLC - Backup" from:
    C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\DLC
    3. Delete these folders:
    C:\username\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache
    C:\username\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ModUserData
    4. Download and unzip the GotVEM package.
    5. Move the mod files included in the package to this folder:
    C:\username\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS
    6. Move the savegame file to this folder:
    C:\username\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ModdedSaves\single
    7. Start Civilization
    8. Enable the 3 mods included in the package.
    9. Load the savegame.
    *Leave the Shared folder and DLC_01, the free Mongolia pack.
    Further information: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=438379

12. Thalassicus

It's on the common checklist for using mods with Civ. I only included GotM-specific information in the readme. When everything on the checklist and the GotM instructions are followed, to my knowledge your copy of Civ should be identical to others. If this is not the case, we just need to identify what's different between your system and others.

13. Txurce

Txurce Deity

14. Dunkah

Dunkah Emperor

So will these games run with a newer version of VEM installed than is in the current folder? I want to go back and play these as I missed them when they were first posted, but I am running v117?

Stupid Question? I see it says no other mods allowed in the folder but what about different versions of the same Mod? So far no luck. Would hate to have to go backwards to an older version of the VEM mod.

15. Txurce

Txurce Deity

Yes, you would have to go back to the prescribed version. This isn't hard to do, though.

16. Thalassicus

Using the same version as other people for GotVEM games gives everyone an opportunity to experience exciting games on an even playing field. :)

There's also the technical limitation explained in #1 on the Common Checklist:

17. Dunkah

Dunkah Emperor

No problem loading the GOTM once I switched back to the correct version. Just gets confusing going forward a couple of versions then back to an older one.

Excellent game so far.

Is there any way you could start a different sub-form for all of the GOTM stuff? Currently not that easy to navigate... Strategy forum doesn't seem all that intuitive a place to find the GOTM stuff.

18. Txurce

Txurce Deity

If the GotVEM becomes more elaborate somehow, then that might make sense. But for now the Strategy forum is where it belongs, since that's what the game's primarily about. Thal's home page directs you there as well. But what I will do is edit the OP in this thread to steer you there.

19. Dunkah

Dunkah Emperor

So waht do we do if the game crashes. Mine crashed on turn 208 -ish, while Catherine was denouncing me. I have my auto save setup for every 10 turns so I lost about 8 turns I think.

Went back to my last save...

20. Txurce

Txurce Deity

That's a good question. I have mine set for every turn, and that may be the best approach for the GotVEM. Other opinions?