Featured Games

Your first sentence is essentially what the GOTM is. I don't know how it restricts you to a certain playstyle, or what is a waste.

It can be competitive in that it's comparative. Because it's SP, you can be as uncompetitive as you like. It still leaves you with an opportunity to learn from others and widen your understanding of the game, or at least to share in the collegiality of this forum, which I believe is a significant reason why many of us post here.

How can I not set those settings myself? This is nothing I cannot do myself. The value of it is, as you said, comparing your results with those of others and sharing an experience. That is great! I called that competition, but you are correct in that competition is not the correct word.

This is fine, and many people can appreciate it. That is a good enough reason to do it. I was simply stating (because I was under the impression you wanted opinions) that I think it would be better to do something else. I felt that a GotM would be offering nothing that I cannot do on my own, but I specified that I felt that way if there were no comparing, which you say there is. Good! I'm glad it does offer something that you cannot get normally. Go right ahead and do it :)

This is what a Game of the Month is. I copied the guidelines from the Civ 4 GotM:

Spoiler :
GotVEM

What is the "GotVEM"?
The GotVEM is the "Game of the Month for VEM." The Game of the Month concept started over 10 years ago with the Civilization 2 GOTM - which is still running.

The Game Of The Month is a friendly single-player competition. A starting save file is posted, and players download and play it. They post write-ups describing how their games progressed, the strategies they used, what they learned and what they felt they did well. This is a great way for new players to ask questions and learn strategies to improve their games.

How do I join?
To join, all you need is:

• A copy of Civ5 patched to the latest version.
  • The Vanilla Enhanced and CivWillard mods installed.
  • A Civilization Fanatics Center membership (login) account.
Once the competition is up-and-running, save files will be posted on or around the first of each month. Download it, play it, and be sure to submit it before the end of the month.

What are the rules?
The rules are fairly simple: Play fairly.

This means that you play within the spirit of the competition. As it is a friendly competition, we like to believe that there is no real incentive to cheat - but unfortunately, people do. Any persons found to be cheating will have their games removed, and there is a strong possibility that they will be banned from participating in the future.

Cheating includes (and is not limited to):
  1. Playing the game multiple times and submitting the best effort (or even playing to get knowledge of the map, the replaying then starting the game again).
  2. Using any sort of programs to edit the game or save files.
  3. Altering the XML or using other mods that give you an unfair advantage.
  4. Reloading an earlier save-file and replaying turns in a different way. The only time you may reload a save file is to start a new play session, and you must use the save file from the end of your previous session.

Please note that some people believe that reloading (in particular) isn't serious cheating. We, however, consider it to be and have zero tolerance on it. Please also be aware that if you do it, we can detect it, and we will act on it.

Also, if in doubt, ask. If you think you have found a new loop-hole or exploit, then we strongly suggest that you ask as to its legallity before you use it. The aim of the competition is not to see who can exploit the rules, and as such, we reserve the right to disqualify submissions based on exploits that are discovered later.

So - how is it run?
The actual format will vary over time as we get feedback from the players. But the basic format is as follows:
  1. Pre-game Discussion Thread: A few days before the end of the month, the starting screenshot is posted, along with the map script details, difficulty etc. This allows people to discuss strategies based on the initial information.
  2. Game release: On or around the first of the month, the game is released. At this point, people are allowed to download and play it, but once they've started playing it, they should not post any info on it anywhere except the Spoiler Threads ....
  3. Spoiler Threads: A number of spoiler threads are normally opened in which people discuss what happened in their games - strategies, other civs, resources, game play and the like. The spoilers are spread to cover different periods of the game. The reason for this is so that people can contribute throughout the month - people who have completed the early part of the game can still contribute without having to worry that in reading the thread they'll see where the modern-age resources are (for example). The first spoiler is normally opened on or around the 5th of the month.
  4. Results: We aim to have the results posted within 7-10 days following the completion of the game (the end of the month).

What are we playing for?
Generally, you are playing for your own enjoyment, and perhaps to improve your game. In the GotVEM, we offer recognition for first, second and third place; awards for the fastest finish in each particular victory type, as well as recognition for the lowest scores in each victory type (and a couple of consolation awards for the highest & lowest scoring defeats).

I could provide the first savegame to get everyone started, if you'd like. DLCs are easy to handle.
  1. Create a new folder "DLC - Backup" in this folder:
    C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v
  2. Move all DLCs but DLC_01 to the backup folder from:
    C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\DLC
(The Mongolian DLC_01 is free so there's no reason to play without it.)

I've created a starting game I think will provide a good variety of strategic options, if you'd like to get going. :)

Attachments

• GotVEM Guidelines.txt
    4.4 KB · Views: 111
Thx for the clarification Thal, can I ask, what settings did you use for this game?

Standard/normal/king/continents, with standard advanced game settings. I moved some things around on the map to maximize strategic options (so we have a good mix of all 3 citystate types, for example). I picked Washington as the leader. I think he's a leader with a highly flexible choice of strategies to pursue, which should give some interesting comparisons between players going for warlike or peaceful victories.

Standard/normal/king, with standard advanced game settings. I moved some things around on the map to maximize strategic options (so we have a good mix of all 3 citystate types, for example). I picked Washington as the leader. I think he's a leader with a highly flexible choice of strategies to pursue, which should give some interesting comparisons between players going for warlike or peaceful victories.

Could it be on a Continents+ map? I'm totally addicted to that map now (with the changes you've made to it), and it would be something "different" for people without the DLC map pack.

Oh that's something I hadn't considered! We can do continents+ even for those without that dlc. The map is a map after all... after it's created, it's like any other map... no DLC required.

Heh... I suppose I shouldn't have spent an hour tweaking the first map. :crazyeye:

Oh that's something I hadn't considered! We can do continents+ even for those without that dlc. The map is a map after all... after it's created, it's like any other map... no DLC required.

Heh... I suppose I shouldn't have spent an hour tweaking the first map. :crazyeye:

It's crazy to redo your work. We can do the C+ map next time. They aren't all going to be the same, anyway.

Seek, what and where are the Continents + maps?

The "Continents Plus" map script from the "Explorers Map Pack" DLC. It adds extra island chains and citystate scripting, which makes navies and oversea settling much more important.

I don't mind redoing the work. It'll take less time the second time around. :)

The "Continents Plus" map script from the "Explorers Map Pack" DLC. It adds extra island chains and citystate scripting, which makes navies and oversea settling much more important.

I don't mind redoing the work. It'll take less time now that I know a good way to set up these maps. :) I created it in Civ, then imported to the World Editor to check if it's a decent map and smooth over rough spots of random number generation.

The Explorers Map Pack is the only DLC I haven't picked up, because I didn't see why I'd want their maps. I like the idea of additional island chains in principle - the maps are more interesting - but I'm not sure how it would affect my game. As a rule I don't expand onto islands, because I'm either playing tall or conquering. And the AI expanding onto islands wouldn't affect me in Conquest, because their capitals are still in the same place. So is there some appeal I'm missing?

Islands are useful for science victory games where we want to build as many cities as possible. In conquest games, half of the citystates are placed on the islands, so if we want to capture those (as I normally do) it requires amphibious warfare. This can be a good opportunity to give the map script a try, hmm? :goodjob:

The Explorers Map Pack is the only DLC I haven't picked up, because I didn't see why I'd want their maps. I like the idea of additional island chains in principle - the maps are more interesting - but I'm not sure how it would affect my game. As a rule I don't expand onto islands, because I'm either playing tall or conquering. And the AI expanding onto islands wouldn't affect me in Conquest, because their capitals are still in the same place. So is there some appeal I'm missing?

The biggest thing for me is the CS placement - with them mostly off-shore (1) you and the AI have more room to settle on your landmass, (2) with fewer CS' on-shore it's more difficult to hide behind a wall of CS' between you and an aggressor, and (3) you meet CSs gradually throughout the game which results in limited CS type options and some tough battles for alliances early on. The islands can be monstrously powerful city locations as well!

Islands are useful for science victory games where we want to build as many cities as possible.

Not if tall empires are as competitive as VEM is supposed to make them!

More seriously, this is a good example of why it will be a lot of fun to compare results, and the methods behind them.

The biggest thing for me is the CS placement - with them mostly off-shore (1) you and the AI have more room to settle on your landmass, (2) with fewer CS' on-shore it's more difficult to hide behind a wall of CS' between you and an aggressor, and (3) you meet CSs gradually throughout the game which results in limited CS type options and some tough battles for alliances early on. The islands can be monstrously powerful city locations as well!

More settling space is a mixed bag for me - I like it, but I also like the tension inherent in its absence - and so is the loss of CS walls (I like the challenge of not having them, but do think there's strategy involved in choosing to use them). But meeting them gradually (rather than quickly thanks to your scout) is a major game improvement.

This makes it sound like a lot of fun. I'll pick it up soon.

My part on the DLC question is that you could have multiple GOTMs at the same time, with a part of them having different DLC's a requirement.

I don't have Polynesia, Vikings, Korea, Wonders and the map pack, but I still would love to play a GOTM on a civilization such as the Incans.

However I'm still looking forward to this no matter what.

My part on the DLC question is that you could have multiple GOTMs at the same time, with a part of them having different DLC's a requirement.

I don't have Polynesia, Vikings, Korea, Wonders and the map pack, but I still would love to play a GOTM on a civilization such as the Incans.

However I'm still looking forward to this no matter what.

I sympathize, since I love playing with DLC, but I think we are too small a group to subdivide the GOTM to that degree, and still have anywhere near the same benefits.

I found a map seed which I think highlights the features of the continents+ script well. I started a pre-game discussion thread on the strategy forum. :thumbsup:

Game 1 Pre-Discussion

Sign me up! I'm very keen to see how this works out and Washington on an enhanced continents map sounds like a perfect start (we could even run through all the ciVs alphabetically to reduce debate on leader choice).

I think as well running too many GOTMs at the same time is bad. Better concentrate on one, at least for the first game. We can make a tally at the end of the month and see who has which DLC. The best way imho is to divide it only into NO-DLC and ALL-DLC (Civ-related I'd say, the map pack can be disregarded, the wonders are a different topic).

The thing is, it is sad for those who have bought all the DLCs to not be able to play them... So I would welcome for the second or third game a DLC game, in addition or not.

The other problem I see in here is the Version of VEM. It changes more than once a month, so the late spoiler discussions would probably be out of date soon ;)

But yes, GOTM = Comparing playstyles.

The other problem I see in here is the Version of VEM. It changes more than once a month, so the late spoiler discussions would probably be out of date soon ;)

This shouldn't be a problem with the proper use of folders. Thal will probably give instructions on this when he puts up the game start.

Top Bottom