Featurelist

I agree that something like that would be good to include. I think the way it is implemented in base BtS doesn't diversify enough.

Maybe we can include three road types. The first is the normal movement of +1, the second roads provide +2 movement and the third provides +3. Then we don't use the +1 movement provided by a tech (like construction in BtS). I can only think now of two names now: dirt roads, paved roads and one other.

Yes, they do have different movement rates. You build over them again like with roads to railroads.

What do you mean we have to "remove the tracks anyway"? Do you mean the word or just building over them?

We could have Wagon Trail, Road (Dirt Road), Paved Road.

Those are three good names. Yes I meant railroads although they are already out of FFH2 so no problem there (my mistake). That was what I meant that you have to build over them to upgrade them, but that the added value is faster movement with each upgrade (so the third one is +3 movement on the paved road).

Are there graphics available for three road types (distinguishable graphics that is)? I like the names.

Are there graphics available for three road types (distinguishable graphics that is)? I like the names.
Just stumbled on this thread - yes, there's different graphics for the routes. In Rise of Mankind 2.61 I used Tholish's Plenty of Routes graphics mod, though I had to do some changes to xml to allow the route types to be shown always correctly (later eras no longer change them).

Here's pic of the route types in Rise of Mankind:

That looks good. Definately distinguishable enough for me.

Wonderful. Thanks muchly!

So we can agree on these 3 types of roads then?
  • Carth Paths (2 moves)
  • Road (3 moves)
  • Paved Road (4 moves)
You need to upgrade from one to another with a worker.
If you need to know what movement values in xml you'll have to use for those movement rates, it goes like this:

In gamedefines.xml there's one movement value set 60. This is the base value which is used in other movement calculation. No need to change this if you use small movement values.

So for Cart path the value needs to be 30 in route xml file ie. 60/30 = 2 moves
Road is 20 ie. 60/20 = 30 and for Paved Road it's 15, ie. 60/15 = 4.

Now if you want to add extra moves from techs for example to Paved Road, you'll have to reduce movement by 3 ie. 60/(15-3) = 60/12 = 5. If you use some other values and the calculation result isn't integer value, the game will crash.

-snip- If you use some other values and the calculation result isn't integer value, the game will crash.

That could have used a more elegant solution (on Firaxis side). Thanks for the info though.

Good point, it doesn't. We should indeed leave that out.

Agreed, a wonderful addition to any game. It doesn't make any real sense why it isn't in base BTS.

Top Bottom