February 2021 Update - Patch Notes Discussion

Is it just me, or does it takes WAAAAYYYY too long for the barb camps to become CSes ? If They're close to ya, and you want them to turn, even if you inject into them, they'll be a pain in the backside for at least 75 turns, churning units and attacking you. If not, Either a CS or and AI civ will wipe it...

Raging Barbarians from CIV V is gonna look like a walk in a park.
That always has been the case :)
Raging barbs in V made your game much easier. All those captured AI settlers turned your builders, liberated and re-liberated CS builders for instant friendships and long term alliances with their perks, stifled AI growth - you name it. V had most laughable barbs in the franchise. It was nice to see barbs regain some respect in VI.

It was nice to see barbs regain some respect in VI.
The proper term for "respect" is burning hatred from all players of Civ 6 of these foul beasts who know nothing of virtue.

I don't understand any of this. @Zegangani, could you please translate this into English? Thanks.
Nerevatar has put it very well I think. I just want to add that we could even make Barb Clans spawn a specific Unit for each UnitClassType (Melee, Ranged... - or for just some), Rename Them (Change Icons), Change Each Clans Diplomacy (make some cheaper to bribe, change how each interaction affects the conversion (Points to turn to a CS)...), and add many other ones with different style (a Desert Clan with Camel Archers? a Forest Clan adjucent to Ivory spawning Varu/Domrey regularly?).

Just skip all the stuff in CAPS :) The summary:
  • What kind and number of units a clan uses is different, and scales with difficulty.
  • Mode is very moddable (for those so inclined). This also mean we got some good tools to balance stuff *cough* tourism modifier from last mode *cough*
  • We will know exactly how "everything" works - no guessing like with the tourism modifier from last mode.

We could add different barbarian difficulties for each difficulties if we wanted using MinTargetDifficulty and MaxTargetDifficulty. But I am more excited for making them as strong as we want since we can define what type of units should spawn and how many of them :devil: Lets get Raging Barbarians back! To do this the following parameters should be used:
  • NumMeleeUnits
  • NumRangeUnits
  • NumSiegeUnits
  • and defining which types these should be such as CLASS_HEAVY_CAVALRY
Want a 10 Knight rush from the Barbarians? Sure, add that:rockon:

Nerevatar has put it very well I think. I just want to add that we could even make Barb Clans spawn a specific Unit for each UnitClassType (Melee, Ranged... - or for just some), Rename Them (Change Icons), Change Each Clans Diplomacy (make some cheaper to bribe, change how each interaction affects the conversion (Points to turn to a CS)...), and add many other ones with different style (a Desert Clan with Camel Archers? a Forest Clan adjucent to Ivory spawning Varu/Domrey regularly?).

Glad to see this is a very modder-friendly Mode. Will bring some very interesting mods out of this.

I didn't realize but the leader selection pool also lets you create a pool of leaders for your random-leader game, thus excluding all the ones you just don't want to play. That's great!
Probably what I'm happiest about in this update. Now finally I can set myself to random without worrying that I'll get the leader I just played as, someone where I'd go for the victory I just won, or someone I'd never want to play. This is probably the single biggest QOL change for me specifically.

'Wow this leader picker sure seems handy.'

:: removes Australia and Russia from the pool ::

:: starts a new game and meets bleeping John Curtin on turn THREE. ::

WHAT ON EARTH. :dubious:
(apparently i forgot to set one of the AIs to "leaderpool 1" and the game immediately picked one of the two AIs I banned. :hammer2:)

I mean... good idea & all, but not quite user-friendly. :sigh:.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

but all in all, I like these changes. The Earth Goddess nerf sucks but I guess it makes pantheons more balanced.

People must play on different settings to me, I found it really weak as was with so few tiles being breathtaking - honestly I thought it needed a bump not a nerf!

If you use the mod Better Report Screens by @Infixo, you can find the yield increases provided by all pantheons from all the tiles currently in your territory.
Under the previous rules, it was not uncommon to get more than +100 faith from Earth Goddess alone late game. In most circumstances, this blows out of the water any other pantheon choice.
Certain map scripts such as water maps like Archipelago contain more breathtaking tiles by default since coast provides +1 appeal to adjacent tiles.
Also, unlike most other pantheons that provide an additional yield to a certain type of tiles (ie there exist a fixed theoretical upper bound linked to the map generated to the benefit you can gain), breathtaking tiles can be "manufactured" by the player's actions (ex placing districts/improvements/wonders that increase the appeal of adjacent tiles) so that there is no limitation to the number of tiles that can be affect by this pantheon.
Since a good proportion of the value of Earth Goddess is more often than not back-loaded, I don't think it really works as a pantheon (which purpose is mainly to boost the early game). I think it would work better as a religious belief or something.

Since a good proportion of the value of Earth Goddess is more often than not back-loaded, I don't think it really works as a pantheon (which purpose is mainly to boost the early game). I think it would work better as a religious belief or something.
Thanks - I very much see pantheons as a small early boost that fades away so that was helpful.

With the nerf to earth goddess, this has a few downstream effects I think haven't been discusses as much yet;

1. Is monumentality still the optimal choice for golden ages early on, or is it now more situational. Now monumentality's faith purchasing power isn't the entirety of its ability (it has movement and cheaper costs) so its not crazy to say that it isn't made too much weaker - especially in cases of adjacency based pantheons - but it definitely adds more appeal to commercial hub science imo.

2. Are voidsingers as dominant as thy were before? Previously you could cover half of three economies by having a super strong faith economy - which earth goddess helped a lot. They'll still have their monument replacement faith, but I think owls/vampires could become the new meta due to the indirect fallout of this.

The "Incite" option doesn't work and barb camps don't spawn unique units. I only use UI mods like Sukritact's Simple UI Adjustments, Better Report Screen and a few more. Is it a mod conflict or is the game mode not working properly?

Has anyone tried to play without City-States with Barbarian Mode on to check if they can progress towards them successfully?
It turns out if You choose to play with 0 CS game won't generate any possible CS players for barbarian camps to change from. Or am I missing something.
Also met already 4 barb camps and still 0 UU ;/

One thing I noticed from the livestream. The devs mentioned you could potentially begin the game with no city states so you would have to rely on barbs to naturally turn into a city state over time, but when we did a quick multiplayer game we noticed that the city state bar never rose on any of the numerous camps, well into the classical era on online speed.

we noticed that the city-state bar never rose on any of the numerous camps, well into the classical era on online speed.

Yeah, has anyone actually got a barb camp to change into a city-state? I had one camp where I pumped gold into every 20 turns for the 10 points, and the bar never moved. I was in monopolies mode and forgot to turn of culture victory, so the game ended on turn 199 because I had 2 marble resources and a decent culture game, but no barb camps bar moved at all.

Also, I saw a lot of unique units. So that seems to be working.

Yeah, has anyone actually got a barb camp to change into a city-state? I had one camp where I pumped gold into every 20 turns for the 10 points, and the bar never moved. I was in monopolies mode and forgot to turn of culture victory, so the game ended on turn 199 because I had 2 marble resources and a decent culture game, but no barb camps bar moved at all.

Also, I saw a lot of unique units. So that seems to be working.
Did you limit the city state pool at all? Because they did say if there were no city states left on the pool the meter couldn't increment

Did you limit the city state pool at all? Because they did say if there were no city states left on the pool the meter couldn't increment

Ahh, I don't usually select my own city-states but, yep, for some reason, I did it this game and picked an even 12 city-states. I'll try it without doing that.

Can anyone who has been playing post patch relate if the AI are farming/mining luxuries again?

I don’t really want to start a marathon game again and find out too late no one is going to acquire luxuries. No fun

Well I did not change the pull at all, just selected 0 CS at start. Medieval Era - pumping money towards barb camps, and meter does not move. Please, tell me I did something wrong and there isn't another bugged Game Mode.

Is it just me or is it not possible to save leader pools between games? Do you have to manually set it each time unless you save configuration (in which case you have to manually change the seed?)

Top Bottom