That's the only time it's happened in the two games where I got the Colosseum. It's also the only time I've tried to build my own civ's unique unit in the Colosseum city.

Ah! Now that's a vital clue, I shall investigate.

Maybe in addition +1 health or +2 health for city in which Red Cross is built.
Just a thought.

The reservoir of fresh water for irrigation created by an aqueduct can be (and perhaps always is) lost when a city is captured, even if the aqueduct itself is taken intact.

Also, the Hagia Sophia's effect can be seriously unbalancing depending on the nature of the UB captured. A monument replacement isn't really a problem, but being able to build say, two libraries or markets certainly can be.

I can think of two possible replacement abilities for the Hagia Sophia that would maintain a similar 'flavor', but I'm not sure about how viable either would be to actually code.

The first would be to give cultural buildings (such as libraries, temples, or theatres) the same chance to be captured as other buildings (instead of automatically destroyed as they currently are).

The second (but rather weaker) option would be to allow buildings that are always captured but lose their culture output (wonders, shrines, and GP buildings like the armoury and university) to retain it on capture.

Hmm. What if the building requirement was the actual corporate headquarters?

This reminded me of a request I meant to make a while back: Would it be possible to give shrines the same missionary-enabling ability as monasteries? That would allow *some* post-Scientific Method spread of a religion you have captured the holy city of without having to switch civics to Organized Religion/Orthodoxy.

I forget- is it possible now to build new power plants to replace old ones?

That always bugged me about Civ IV. If I build Coal Plants during the Industrial era, I essentially can't replace them with other, cleaner sources of energy later...

That always bugged me about Civ IV. If I build Coal Plants during the Industrial era, I essentially can't replace them with other, cleaner sources of energy later...

You can. If you build a Hydro Plant, the Coal Plant won't produce :yuck: any more. It works the same way in BtS, too. The Coal Plant doesn't disappear, of course, but it's out of service.

Really? I never knew that.

What about if you build (or 'acquire') the Three Gorges Dam wonder?

I just tried this on my current game (1.17) and the coal plants still generate :yuck: even with a hydro plant or the Three Gorges Dam.

Ah, I tested it again, and now I understand it.
In BtS, Coal Plants "provide Power with Coal (+2:yuck:)", if you've got other energy sources, the :yuck: disappears.
But in HR, it's slightly different: Coal Plants "provide Power with Coal (+2:yuck:)", just like in BtS. But they've got another 2:yuck: they produce always, like Forges. Last time I tested this, I just saw 2:yuck: disappeared when I placed the Hydro Plant in the city.
To change this, the Coal Plant should "provide Power with Coal (+4:yuck:)", the Gas Plant would have 3:yuck: The ordinary health penalty disappears. Is this possible? There's just this one <bDirtyPower> tag in the BuildingInfos.xml...

Ah, I tested it again, and now I understand it.
In BtS, Coal Plants "provide Power with Coal (+2:yuck:)", if you've got other energy sources, the :yuck: disappears.
But in HR, it's slightly different: Coal Plants "provide Power with Coal (+2:yuck:)", just like in BtS. But they've got another 2:yuck: they produce always, like Forges. Last time I tested this, I just saw 2:yuck: disappeared when I placed the Hydro Plant in the city.
To change this, the Coal Plant should "provide Power with Coal (+4:yuck:)", the Gas Plant would have 3:yuck: The ordinary health penalty disappears. Is this possible? There's just this one <bDirtyPower> tag in the BuildingInfos.xml...

I'll review this for 1.19.

I just had another instance of the Colosseum giving me a Settler instead of my own civ's unique unit (playing as Herod this time). This was particularly disturbing as it's a OCC game.

I just had another instance of the Colosseum giving me a Settler instead of my own civ's unique unit (playing as Herod this time). This was particularly disturbing as it's a OCC game.

Please post a saved game for me. I thought I'd squashed that bug but I guess not.

Erm, this is a bit embarrassing, but I'm not sure *how* to post a saved game (or anything else for that matter). I've never actually posted files or pictures to a forum before.

Also, that game is already well into the renaissance now (I just deleted the Settler and kept playing). I suppose I *could* reload from the initial 4000 BC autosave and just beeline for Engineering...

Erm, this is a bit embarrassing, but I'm not sure *how* to post a saved game (or anything else for that matter). I've never actually posted files or pictures to a forum before.

Also, that game is already well into the renaissance now (I just deleted the Settler and kept playing). I suppose I *could* reload from the initial 4000 BC autosave and just beeline for Engineering...

No worries. For future reference you can find your autosaves in ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Saves/Single/Auto/. If it happens again, grab the last autosave, zip it up and post it here via the 'Manage Attachments' option (one of the options below Submit and Preview).

In the meantime, what civ were you playing, what unit were you building, and what civs other civs were you in contact with?

I was playing Herod of Israel, building a Maccabee, got a Guerilla I-promoted Settler instead.

As to what other civs I was in contact with, I'm afraid the answer is 'lots'. It's a 18-civ Tiny Pangaea map, and by that time I'd contacted and gotten trade access with *all* 17 AI civs.

Edit: Okay, I restarted the game from the initial 4000 BC autosave and replayed until I recreated the bug. First save file below is the immediate previous autosave, as requested.

Edit2: Resumed the renaissance-era playthrough and built the Brandenburg Gate. The movie window came up this time (which is more than it did pre-1.18), but the movie itself didn't actually play. Second save file below is from the turn immediately prior to completing the Gate.

I've replicated the issue and its bizarre. Sometimes I get a Settler, sometimes one of the Missionaries, and sometimes a crash. Working on it.

Can you make a small change to the Statue of Liberty placement. Can you make it like the Great Lighthouse and the Colossus of Rhodes, in that it has to be placed in the sea. It is on an Island in RL. This always irked me in Civ 4, so I changed it in my mod.

Can you make a small change to the Statue of Liberty placement. Can you make it like the Great Lighthouse and the Colossus of Rhodes, in that it has to be placed in the sea. It is on an Island in RL. This always irked me in Civ 4, so I changed it in my mod.

But the statue of liberty was not originally on an island. It was inland.

But the statue of liberty was not originally on an island. It was inland.

To do that would also make the wonder only buildable in coastal cities. I don't have an issue with that though, it can easily be argued that the statue's current location is a very significant aspect of its 'wonder'. I'll change it for 1.19.

So on Pangaea maps it becomes semi-unbuildable? Colossus and Great Lighthouse make sense as coastal wonders because they affect sea traffic- they're not useful to inland empires. Statue of Liberty, not so much.

Top Bottom