[MOD] FFH TweakMod

I'm trying out the Doviello with Children of Halfmorn. I've only played with them for about 10 turns but so far they seem WAY overpowered.

1) They're extremely strong on the attack compared to a normal Druid. 11 attack is the equivalent of a Druid with 3 Nature mana! It's also far stronger than any other non-hero unit you can get with an equivalent beaker investment (the Recon line is the cheapest tech line, and FB isn't even at the end of that line).

2) The werewolf generation chance is very high. Even a Greater werewolf, which is a unit that can only be generated by luck and careful management of Blooded werewolves, has only a 25% chance of werewolf generation.

3) They're very expensive in therms of hammers, but they can be upgraded to from either Priests or Rangers. This makes them very quick to obtain at Feral Bond because you can build units to upgrade before you actually get the tech. Compare to Baron, who takes FOREVER to build after you get FB.

4) The cannibalize promotion is cool, but it only exacerbates their ridiculous strength.

5) Most troubling, they don't naturally have channeling promos, but they get Channeling II from being upgraded to from Priests. This leads to Children of Halfmorn casting Ring of Flames, which is out of control.

Add in the fact that this unit is not a Druid replacement, but an ADDITIONAL T4 unit for the Doviello (they get Eids and CoH at the same time), and the unit is too strong. My suggestions: make them 10/7 or 9/7, 35% chance to spawn a werewolf, can't be upgraded to (must be built from scratch). Keep the cannibalize because it's awesome. With these changes, the CoH becomes less of a city-breaker on its own and more of a unit you use to generate werewolves.

By the way, I love the choice of art for the unit!

Alright, considering everything, CoH are tremendously overpowered. In the next update I'll fix that:

1) They are now 8/5 :strength:.
2) Werewolf chance reduced to 25%.
3) Combat type is now Recon.

Add in the fact that this unit is not a Druid replacement, but an ADDITIONAL T4 unit for the Doviello (they get Eids and CoH at the same time)

This makes me almost want to replace Eids with CoH and give the Doviello back Druids.

By the way, I love the choice of art for the unit!

:)

I also added special art for the Lanun Wrecker unit. In the next update it's losing Water Walking. The day I made these units I was on a power binge.

Commenting on some other changes you've made:

Rystic said:
*Lowered cost for Javelin Throwers from 90 to 60.
*Arcane gives +10% .

Good ideas. I like that Arcane will be more worthwhile. I didn't notice the Javelin change before I started my Doviello game, but even without noticing I built a good number of Javelins in my early game. Seems like a worthwhile unit now.

Rystic said:
*Ashen Veil gives +1 instead of +1

Good idea, but it doesn't seem to be working. In the Religion Adviser it still lists AV cities as +1:culture:

Rystic said:
Children of Halfmorn can also convert Wolf Packs to Ravenous Werewolves.

That's awesome! I didn't notice that while I was playing because I hadn't cast my worldspell yet. But I'm going to go try this out now. I think I'll see what happens when I invade with the Baron, 4 CoH, and 20 wolf packs. Now THAT is giving the Doviello a good unique mechanic. Great job!

This makes me almost want to replace Eids with CoH and give the Doviello back Druids.

I'm ambivalent about that. Eids are a very strong unit and a good reward for teching all the way to Malevolent Designs. Taking them away for a weaker unit available earlier would probably hurt their end-game. Though it obviously helps their mid-game a lot. It's a tough call.

Good ideas. I like that Arcane will be more worthwhile. I didn't notice the Javelin change before I started my Doviello game, but even without noticing I built a good number of Javelins in my early game. Seems like a worthwhile unit now.

Yea, I kept hearing complaints about this on the forum. They were right -- no reason to make Javelin Throwers so expensive.

Good idea, but it doesn't seem to be working. In the Religion Adviser it still lists AV cities as +1:culture:

I just updated it about two minutes ago. It will break saved games.

That's awesome! I didn't notice that while I was playing because I hadn't cast my worldspell yet. But I'm going to go try this out now. I think I'll see what happens when I invade with the Baron, 4 CoH, and 20 wolf packs. Now THAT is giving the Doviello a good unique mechanic. Great job!

YES! Now their worldspell is really useful. And you can use Feral to build up other wolf packs in the meantime.

I'm ambivalent about that. Eids are a very strong unit and a good reward for teching all the way to Malevolent Designs. Taking them away for a weaker unit available earlier would probably hurt their end-game. Though it obviously helps their mid-game a lot. It's a tough call.

I'm not gonna make that change. I don't see enough of a reason to do it.

One small suggestion; add flavourmod

I'm loving playing with an all-werewolf Doviello army. I have two suggestions for small tweaks to the base FFH werewolf mechanics.

1) Currently, newly produced werewolves do not get free promotions from traits like Commando from Raiders or Combat from Aggressive. For some reason this applies to Duin as well, who's not even spawned--he's built with hammers, and he still doesn't get the free promotions. This especially stinks when playing as Mahala because it means the werewolves don't have Commando and can't keep up with my main army--they're essentially reduced to pillage duty. Could you make it so that werewolves get the free promos they should?

2) It's too common for Ravenous werewolves to lose their Enraged status without promoting to Blooded. Of course, you can now get rid of Enraged with Loyalty; I'm not sure if you intended this new mechanic to grant the player control of all his werewolves with just an adept spell. Consider that when you use Lycanthropy with a wolf pack, the new Ravenous werewolf is held for a turn, allowing an adept to cast loyalty without any Enraged actions by the werewolves at all.

And there is another way a Ravenous werewolf can lose Enraged. When a Ravenous werewolf kills a non-living unit, it loses the enraged status, but it doesn't promote to blooded. so I guess the werewolf is still ravenous and starving, but is now willing to be controlled by an empire just because it killed a Mud Golem? Strange. Perhaps Ravenous werewolves should have both Enraged and Crazed?

I'm loving playing with an all-werewolf Doviello army. I have two suggestions for small tweaks to the base FFH werewolf mechanics.

1) Currently, newly produced werewolves do not get free promotions from traits like Commando from Raiders or Combat from Aggressive. For some reason this applies to Duin as well, who's not even spawned--he's built with hammers, and he still doesn't get the free promotions.

You just actually discovered a huge bug -- Aggressive and Raiders don't apply to units that have the Beast unitcombat type. I'll definitely have to fix that.

Look deeply into it.

EDIT: Also add Arcane Mastery.

Given Perpentech cow-ta-pult's, how about having Arena's give +1 Happiness with Cows. Should be a dirt simple XML hack.

:bowdown: You are Godly. Thanks man. :bowdown:

Also: remember the flavoumod suggestion

EDIT: I tried this out on the most updated version of the tweakmod (released yesterday) and it crashed some and I received a few XML errors on startup. Possibly because you merged it into an older version? Look into that if you get the chance Honor.

Flavormod will be in the next update, hopefully. I want to fine-polish everything for the Amurites, then I have to take a look at the Flavormod's code. I noticed it gives the Malakim some bonuses only available in Fall Further. Don't know yet, but this might complicate things.

w00t!!!!!!!

Thanks!

Flavormod will be in the next update, hopefully. I want to fine-polish everything for the Amurites, then I have to take a look at the Flavormod's code. I noticed it gives the Malakim some bonuses only available in Fall Further. Don't know yet, but this might complicate things.

What bonuses? If you mean terrain\feature yields, that was in Flavourmod first, so everything needed is there. And can be removed extremely easily if you don't want it.

What bonuses? If you mean terrain\feature yields, that was in Flavourmod first, so everything needed is there. And can be removed extremely easily if you don't want it.

Actually, that was exactly what I meant. I loaded up a game as the Malakim and saw the Floodplains/Oasis thing. I don't necessarily want to remove it, I just want to know what XML files Flavormod changes.

Yet another suggestion: Ever thought of adding the adventurer spawning sysrem from FFplus? It removes the link between GP points and spawning. (%chance every turn to spawn one) Worth looking into.

Top Bottom