1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

FFH TweakMod

Discussion in 'FfH2 Modmods, Scenarios, and Maps' started by Rystic, May 10, 2009.

1. Rystic

Rystic Turtle Wizard

I don't think I'm going to make this change. Balseraphs already have all kinds of wacky bonuses (happiness from Freak Show, House of Mirrors). Another +1 :) would just be piling on.

Is that required for the Flavormod? I don't want to change the CivilizationInfos and TerrainInfos files. I just want the option that assigns flavor starts.

I actually like the Adventurer mechanic the way it is; periodic intervals over random chance.

2. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

To be perfectly honest, I don't know. I don't think it's necessary, but honestly, it's probably easier on you to keep it. It's easy to change yields so they're as they are in FfH, and they'll show when mousing over a flag... makes it easier for new players.

3. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

would it not make more sense for a battle mage to be 4 :strength: + 2 fire damage ?

Otherwise you are potentially lowering the strength of a caster unit as it gears for battle ....

4. Rystic

Rystic Turtle Wizard

The extra fire damage is so they perform better against Winterborn units. With the Legacy promotion, I'm trying to establish the Amurites as the anti-Illian/Doviello team.

5. blade117

blade117 The Unburnt

What was added in the 6/19 release?

6. Rystic

Rystic Turtle Wizard

Amurite stuff. More tweaks to their new mechanics. Macelords were removed, and Students of Kylorin have to be 4th level to upgrade to anything else (they still lose the ability to upgrade if they have past Combat II at that point). Goblin Forts now have an event associated with seizing them.

Next update was going to be Flavormod, but I decided to nix it. Now, I'm working on some Elohim stuff.

7. blade117

blade117 The Unburnt

WHEN WILL YOU ADD FLAVOURMOD?!?!?

(yeah, i'm probably overreacting)

8. Rystic

Rystic Turtle Wizard

Probably awhile. I was going to add it today, but I got sick and don't feel like hacking the Python apart. There's also some entry points coming from the SDK, but I don't want to edit that. I need to talk to the guy who made Flavourmod, so maybe he can explain it to me and help me unravel the Python from the C++ code.

9. blade117

blade117 The Unburnt

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

10. Rystic

Rystic Turtle Wizard

It's better that I take a look at it before just hacking it apart. That way, I can make sure it works properly.

11. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Honestly, I think that's your best bet there as well... I'd leave any DLL/schema changes alone, but python is too easy to break... Have to understand it all so you don't break it along the line.

12. megamanx06

megamanx06 Caswallan

This is awesome. Very nice.

Two things though: one is a question. What does having a religion do to a unit? I know that a recon unit with Esus can use the mask ability, but I don't know about the others.

Second, a request. I sometimes like to do advanced start in later eras. For classical, it works fine, but if you start medieval, you start with almost all the techs, including the religious ones (which means that random people found religions). I'd like to request that at the very least, some techs get taken away from the medieval start. If possible, it would be nice to split up the tech tree into even more eras, such as Ancient>Classical>Imperial(?)>Medieval>Renaissance. I wanted to do this myself but I have no idea how to.

13. Verdian

Verdian King

Recently installed Tweakmod and started a game as the Amurites (mostly to test out the Arcane Mastery mod). Note that this was before you just made major changes to the Amurites. I really liked the Circle of Gaelan ritual. It gives the Amurites some protection in the early game when they need it the most. Although I am little worried that this, coupled with your more recent changes, will eliminate the much needed balance to the Amurites of being weak early game and strong late game...

Suggestions for Overcouncil Resolutions:
    - Promote Cultural Understanding:Adds the diverse trait to all civilizations that follow the Overcouncil.
    - The Spirit of the Law:+1 :) from Courthouse for all civilizations that follow the Overcouncil.
    - Spread the Light of Lugus: 5% chance of Empyrean spreading in all cities (regardless of whether they are in the Overcouncil).
    - Banning of the Dark Arts: Outlaw Shadow, Death, and Entropy mana. (I don't know why you took this out. It was thematically appropriate and a nice balance to being able to join the OC. If it was slightly annoying, that is fine. Defy the resolution and create an exciting twist in the story for this game).
    - Illuminate the World: Share maps with all members of the Overcouncil.
    - Rule by Example: Reduce maintence cost in all cities by 10%. This would go away if you left the Overcouncil.

Suggestions for Elohim:
    I am glad you are tackling the Elohim. While I have never played FF, I like a lot of the changes I have heard they made to them. First and foremost is giving the Elohim Spiritual and taking away Tolerant. I hate Tolerant for the Elohim. They used to by my favorite civ, where I could turtle away and create a peaceful kingdom (and enjoy my builder style of play). Now their greatest mechanic involves war and capturing cities. I rarely play them anymore.

Other than that, I always pictured the Elohim as the definiative Good civ: wise, compassionate, and doing their best to prevent the end of the world. I hope any changes reflect that.

14. Rystic

Rystic Turtle Wizard

If the unit dies, it gets reborn as an Angel (if Order, Empyrean, or Kilmorph) or Demon (Veil, Esus, or Overlords). For the Bannor, if you summon Basium, your dying demagogs will be reborn as Angels for him. Likewise, if your Evil, your Demagogs will fuel Hyborem.

I'll play around with this.

The fact the Amurites start off weak and grow immensely was actually what I was trying to eliminate. I wanted to ease their reliance on Govannon.

Yes, I never liked Tolerant. It never felt like a real mechanic to me; it just used mechanics from other teams. The Elohim need something that better suits a builder-style civ. My mechanics involve controlling unique features. The more you have, the more bonuses you get:

Cities:
    2)+10% Defense in all cities.
    3)+1 :) in all cities, Spiritual Trait.
    4)No Barbarians in territory.
    7)2 Spirit Mana

Monks:
    1)+40% vs Undead
    3)+1 Holy
    4)+1 Move
    6)+2 Holy
    7)+3 Holy, Immune to Fear

I'm still trying to see what fits them right. Expect the next update on Wednesday.

15. blade117

blade117 The Unburnt

Just another random idea (if you want me to stop asking for things to be added, just say so): add the wild mana option.

16. Avahz Darkwood

Avahz Darkwood Emperor

I told you this would go beyond a "tweak" to a full Mod Mod =). I like your style so no complaints from me...

17. Verdian

Verdian King

I think that is great, as having a whole civ hinge on a hero seems wrong. But how have you eased their reliance on Govannon? His powers have not been changed, and his function (catapulting the Amurites into a very powerful civ) has not been lessened.

With having the number of unique features they controll effect the Elohim, I have some reservations about that. First, it throws a wildcard into how powerful the Elohim will be, as well as making large maps preferable for them. Second, it doesn't solve the problem that I have with Tolerant: Tolerant encouraged war mongering (attacking to get cities). Having Unique Features effect them like this, it encourages war mongering again (attacking to get Unique Features).

While I think having Unique Features effect the Elohim is a good idea, there has to be a better way to do it. It should be a bonus, not the hinge (and main mechanic) for the whole civ.

18. Rystic

Rystic Turtle Wizard

By the time Govannon comes out, his main purpose (to teach spells to units) will have already been fulfilled. I didn't actually change him, but his ability has less impact.

The Elohim mechanics need to be refined. But that's not surprising, the Amurite mechanics did too, as well as the Doviello. I never expect my first update to a team to be my final one. If anything, what I'm planning right now is the beginning. I want to ideally gear them towards a builder-civ, and I feel this is the first step.

19. blade117

blade117 The Unburnt

Now I just need Honor to upgrade Arcane Mastery before I download the current version.

20. cabbagemeister

cabbagemeister Please wait...

What if, in addition to bonuses for features they own, the Elohim got (comparatively minor) maluses for features owned by evil civs? Maybe +2% maintenance? I don't know what would be balanced. But this would encourage selective warmongering against evil civs, specifically targeting those who threaten unique features--which does seem lore-appropriate to me. I know a lot of people think of the Elohim as pacifists, but various pedia entries pretty clearly show them as one of the most effective military forces fighting evil.

I agree that this would make the Elohim a wildcard from game to game, especially with All Unique Features on. But I see that randomness as a very positive thing.