1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

FfH2 0.40 Changelog

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Kael, Dec 8, 2008.

1. MasterofDisasta

MasterofDisasta Chieftain

Sounds very accurate and flavorful, but certainly very complex. Personally, I would love this option but I think the sheer complexity of it would make it very hard to implement. It would probably require some sort of mercenary menu like the one used in Rhye's and Fall for the mercenaries to be usefull, there's too much risk if you can't see what you're getting. Plus, the AI would need to learn this system as well and be able to accurately judge whether a merc will be helpful, or immediately be slaughtered. If this amount of complexity was supported, I would definitely enjoy it, but I think a solution with simpler mechanics would be better.

2. it-ogo

it-ogo Hedgehog

Great, but there is still an equivalent result: Crazed from mutation or demon posession.

3. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

How about mercenaries take gold from your treasury whenever they win a battle? The basic code should already be there from units like privateers.

4. Thunder_Gr

Thunder_Gr Chieftain

Allowing everyone to hire Mercenaries after reaching a certain tech as bdmarti suggested and having GotN allow a very big discount, let's say 1/3 of the price, is really a great idea! But the rest of the mechanic does not sound very nice to me, since it introduces too much complexity...
    Another really great idea is for the mercs to get extra payment each time they win a battle as Chandrasekhar suggests, and if you do not have the money, they will abandon you.

Both suggestions really balance the GotN, in my opinion, and shouldn't be difficult to implement. I hope the development team agrees and will include something like that to balance it.

Most of the other suggestions seem to be very complex or serious demotion of the mercenary unit, which make the hiring of the mercenaries more of a danger rather than a support... And having the mercs be a National Unit really goes against the whole mercenary consept IMO.

5. Kjara

Kjara Chieftain

Another option to prevent people from relying on mercs as fodder too much would be any time you lose a merc in combat, you have to pay a certain amount, perhaps based on the number of other mercs you have, to keep the other mercs(or the rest of them have a chance of either deleting or going barb). The mercs are happy to be involved in a war where they are winning and none or few of them are dying, but its going to be really expensive to keep them around once they start dying left and right. Could also perhaps keep track of the number of mercs lost in the past(sort of merc weariness), and have that effect merc hiring cost/payment on the loss of a merc. Finally, if you do default on the cost, and have all the mercs leave you, that pushes up the "merc weariness" by quite a bit as well. Since the cost would be partially based on how many mercs you have, this would limit the ability to keep a huge army of mercs around for general use unless you were really rolling in the money.

I would suggest adding this to something like Thunder_gr's and bdmarti's, where everyone has access to them but also allow the guild to reduce the cost, and the rate at which the weariness goes up.

6. Jabie

Jabie Wanted in Monte Carlo...

Not too sure about everyone having Mercenaries right off the bat. A tech requirement such as Currency is a better bet.

Increasing the cost of Mercenaries based on the number of Mercs in your army, say +10 Gold per existing Merc is easy to understand and calculate. Go9 could give a 20% discount.

There could also be some events that are dependent on the existence of Mercs.

7. kumquatelvis

kumquatelvis Chieftain

I'd be happy is the AI started using mercs. I've never seen them purchase one ever.

8. Monkeyfinger

Monkeyfinger Chieftain

You've probably never seen them with the ability to buy mercs. I know I haven't.

9. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Well, I know that back when you could build Mercenaries they would span them like crazy. Basium seemed to rarely build anything but mercenaries and culture.

10. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

Man can't wait! At least I have internet access for the holidays so I will be able to grab it right away this time.

11. Waylander232

Waylander232 Chieftain

I really cannot wait for this. I thank the FFH team for all their great work and for giving me something to do before Christmas:D

12. Avahz Darkwood

Avahz Darkwood Chieftain

13. kumquatelvis

kumquatelvis Chieftain

Just this last game I took the Guild of the Nine from the Lanun after a long war in which I saw not a single mercenary.

14. Zechnophobe

Zechnophobe Strategy Lich

Hmm, there is some merit to the concept of mercs that take a bit of gold when they kill.

Perhaps the Guild of the nine wonder lets you build strength 5 mercenaries (As normal) in all your cities, for the hammer cost of (Whatever 120 gold gives you hammers) but then steals money from your treasure whenever they win a combat.

15. Monkeyfinger

Monkeyfinger Chieftain

In lore terms, "120 gold" translates into "a crapload of money." It's about what a large metropolis that contains money making buildings and the holy shrine of the biggest religion in a well populated world makes in whatever's considered a turn. I've always imagined the process of hiring one mercenary unit as saying to a band of mercs, "here's enough gold, up front, to live comfortably on for the rest of your life, go kill my enemies." What merc would refuse that?

16. Domingo

Domingo El Desaparecido

Maybe -1 gold each time Mercenaries win a battle, and if you have 0 gold they disband. I think adding complex, extra mechanics for 1 unit isn't really a step in the right direction.

17. Keeper_GFA

Keeper_GFA Chieftain

Bounty Hunter promotion gives +1 gold for killing a unit. So just make a Mercenary promotion that gives -1 gold for killing a unit. Seems easy and reasonable. And if possible, have mercenary units act as animals regarding city unhappiness for the lack of a defender.

18. Ksi

Ksi Chieftain

The -1 gold thing won't work. Too easy to use Mercs as fodder than have your regular units mop up.

19. Blakmane

Blakmane Chieftain

Which is what traditionally mercs have been used for =)

20. Fafnir13

Fafnir13 Chieftain

And from touching some murky water and picking up a wicked sword and hearing some scary voices. Seriously, there are way too many ways to become crazed if you ask me. What's really annoying is that some of these will destroy the lair. That's not much fun.

Oh, well that's interesting. Is anything being put in their place? I'm a little bothered that many things which have been in need of improvement (guilds, late game buildings, and now compassion civic) are just getting the ax. Certainly makes it easier to reach a state of "done" if you just knock out features, but that kind of makes the world less interesting.