1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

FfH2 Roleplaying Games [Thread III]

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by mimic, Jun 23, 2009.

1. NotSoGood

NotSoGood Emperor

So I think now I managed to join in the FFHRP, but how do you play after that?

2. Lgaard

Lgaard King

@NotSoGood: what's your nickname at Hamachi? I can't see you there...

3. NotSoGood

NotSoGood Emperor

It's NotSoGood. I just logged in, I think...

4. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

I'd be very interested to try this out, if you'll have me. My girlfriend might be interested too. Only problem is that Saturday 4pm GMT corresponds to Sunday 5am where we are in NZ. :( Are there games which start at slightly more reasonable hours for a couple of Kiwis? :) For instance, Saturday night our time would be great, corresponding to Saturday morning GMT. Bit tricky for those in the US though, unless it's Saturday afternoon for us, in which case the Europeans get stuck with the middle of the night. :crazyeye:

5. Azhral

Azhral Let's get Tactical!

I'm in NZ myself, and I usually get up at 6am on a Sunday morning to play FFH. Last week, I got up, went back to bed for 4 hours, came back and ended up joining a game as the Infernals.

I use sundays as my 'get stuff done day', with interspaced FFH making housework and laundry less boring.

And when everybody else goes to bed cause its 4am, its barely mid-afternoon for me. It actually works out really well.

6. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Hmm, sounds okay. Guess I just have to work at getting up earlier. ;)

One other problem is that I have a regular appointment on Sundays from 12.30pm onwards, so I wouldn't be able to play if it goes on to 5pm or so. That is, unless it's on a Saturday...

Anyway, thanks for the information, and it'd be good to see you in a game sometime. Christchurch facing off against Dunedin and all. ;)

7. onyxja

onyxja Chieftain

How do you become a member in ffhrp?

8. Lgaard

Lgaard King

There is no formal "membership".
    Instal Hamachi, log in into FFHRP or FFHRPII and you can join our game. That's it!
    For more directions see the first post of this thread.

9. NotSoGood

NotSoGood Emperor

I'm free this weekend so I can join your game. :bounce:
    BTW, in the OP it says "the newest patch", is it m?

10. Earthling

Earthling Deity

Nothing works for everyone, however, since this actually seems to be a little off on what I've seen recently in what actually happens, I thought I'd clarify:

-What I've seen the past couple weekends and was also kinda the same in the past is things haven't even gotten going to 6 or 7 PM GMT... If no one makes plans in advance that's probably what we end up stuck with.

-As for myself I am available later, or earlier, by a little bit either way, but that doesn't solve the Europe/US/NZ problem entirely. One thing that somewhat could have had success in the past (but we never really followed through, at least never in a game I was in) is people just planning for a shorter session/multi-day game; both Saturday and Sunday or one weekend and the next weekend or something. Probably a little complicated now though.

In short though If you haven't guessed I do hope to be in on a game tomorrow though, so I'm putting that out there. If someone simply has to have a certain time I'll try to show up then tomorrow; If later is better then like 5 or 6 or even 7 GMT to start works great for me but that puts others into the late hours of night/wee hours of morning.

About patches - yeah FFH2 0.41 with patch m seems to be fine. I know some people have played mods in the past like Fall Further but it doesn't seem like many of us had that updated/multi-player compatible and I wouldn't really be asking for it this week...if someone does have such an idea bump the thread again I guess.

11. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

In the Last Game Mother Russia was able to sucessfully annex Ukraine, as well as fight off the massive Invasion from "Eastern Russia" (the Ljos) and eventually invade the Western nations.

See, the tricky thing about the three Western Nations is that Norway immediately Vassalized to me, and so Heterodyne and Amur, the Sciency Western Nations akin to France and Germany, were at the strategic disadvantage. Partially this was because Germany (Heterodyne) had troops stationed in Norway ready to flank me, that got kicked back into his home territory once I declared on him.

So then, I invaded france (Amut), directly into the Marginot Line. I had a massive army, although the line stalled me immensely. The Marginot line consisted of a combination of Arcane Lacuna, Charm Spells, and a Beefed up Saverous.

Although the line stopped my main forces, it did not stop my high quality KGB spies from killing off the French Mad Scientists. Eventually my spies killed so many scientists, the Marginot line could no longer stall me with the Charm spell.

As France's future was deemed in Peril, and the French leader was too weak willed to offer a resistance to allow Germany and Italy to launch a counter offensive, France capitulated to Russia, and sealed the fate of the game.

In the end, a combination of Russian Mad-Scientists, Russian Revanents, and Russian Super-spies won the day. Although, it is funny that all of the Western Nations surrendered before actually giving a full fight. I hadn't even taken one western city before winning the day completely.

Why? Because I had two vassals who flanked my only chances for defeat.

Still, I must say that the battle for Russia ... Western Russia fighting off a suprise Invasion of Eastern Russia, was quite the most amusing and entertaining battle. I really, really love fighting off an invasion of Treants, especially with the Nox Noctis. I think Eastern Russia's goal was to either Destroy or Annex the Nox Noctis. Unfortunately for him, the Royal Guards of Western Russia were more than ready for the task. As well as the Mad-Scientists conjuring foul beasts on the edges of my borders.

12. Earthling

Earthling Deity

Great game yesterday...Tasunke built a massive empire and as hinted at but not done full justice I had some nice "experiments" with a Grigori-Adventurer based Heterodyne civ. Really wanted to eventually get to Archmages but it's so far in the tech tree...anyway I also recommend that webcomic (Girl Genius) to anyone and especially those who were really confused.

There's possible interest in a short Sunday game which is another reason for this bump; if you're here, or if you're here later come by the channel (there may be civs to fill in for/take over if you come a little later).

13. coelocanth

coelocanth Chieftain

The plan was that the land would rise up in response to the blight (march of the trees) and attempt destruction of any evil holy cities.
    Coombe View and Prespur were the ones in range, with OO being on the other side of the world.

I expected the grigori would attack while your army was fighting the treants, and that the huge stacks of perpentach's swordsmen would have done more damage to your eastern army.

Turn timer is too long during peace and too short during war - was really having trouble moving the treants before time ran out.

14. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Sorry I missed the main game... had a busy Saturday night and couldn't get up on time on Sunday. About to head to bed now, so won't be able to play until next week. :)

I've always noticed the same thing. I think the turn timer should really factor in the number of wars going on involving humans, and add time appropriately to avoid the "lack of time" issue.

15. Onionsoilder

Onionsoilder Reaver

You should have gone Luchuirp instead. Name all your mages after major sparks and call all your golems Clanks.

16. NotSoGood

NotSoGood Emperor

Unfortunately my laptop crashed in the middle of the game and then it didn't start again. :mad: I quess it overheated or something. But it was a fun game even I wasn't the best... :mischief:

17. Azhral

Azhral Let's get Tactical!

Russia was just toying with France. Defeat was imminent, however I only managed to cast Charm once and his whole stack supposedly stopped, even though all I saw was 'Unit resisited magic' messages.

Arcane Lacuna only had probably a few turns left to run, and then the spectres would swamp me. Need more Firebows next time...

18. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

The AI doesn't like to break up stacks. If even one unit in a stack cannot move or cannot attack, it generally disables the whole stack as the AI only considers moving them as a group.

19. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

See, I was controlling the stack, not the AI ... and I *think* that those resisted messages popped up because he might of cast charm with more than one mage.

In any case, that was the city I wanted, and I was protecting catapults. Therefore, my army wasn't moving until the city got captured.

I kept checking my units each turn to see if they were still charmed, and my shadows ended up killing his remaining mages.

I was starting to build 3 move assasins cause the level of units that remained charm was such that I thought he was recharming my units. I think all of my units got charmed the first turn, and they were wearing off really slowly. anyways, only Bambur, Arthendain, and the Shadows could really kill anything with good odds. Losha had only a 35% chance to kill Saverous

20. Abremms

Abremms Prince

this sounds awesome, I'd really be interested in playing next week. i just have a few questions tho (pardon me if they've already been answered in this thread, i did a quick skim but 17 pages is a lot >.<

I've never played civ multiplayer before, so i'm be a little naive about the tech. what is this Hamachi? i got it installed and connected to FFHRP and i can see people there... is it a chat? or a voip?

also, regarding the "no momods or you'll have OOS errors", does that include Orbis or RifE, or one of the others that has its own install? of just modmods that are installed in the FfH2 folder?