Final Fantasy Mod: Public Beta thread

going to work on the rest of the UI stuff... Once it's finished, I'm uploading it as a separate package in case anyone wants it for their mods.

Oh yeah ,you`re speaking about me. :D
:scan: btw ,the look reminds me on the older "Colors N Chrome Interface Modpack". :goodjob:
Another thing I've realized about the gameplay: I finally decided to try the mod out on a large map (the one Beleriand map that's floating around here), and found that even into the modern age, the world still isn't close to completely settled...

That`s no problem so far. Just think of our Earth. Our planet isn`t settled everywhere too. Or at least not really. (Antarctis ,Sahara ,Kanada ,Siberia etc...)

That`s no problem so far. Just think of our Earth. Our planet isn`t settled everywhere too. Or at least not really. (Antarctis ,Sahara ,Kanada ,Siberia etc...)

Let me rephrase that then: All the DECENT territory is settled, which brings me to another point:

Another change I'm making is to make settlers (and most land units) wheeled, so that they cannot cross mountains or swamps without roads (debating about whether or not to include jungle in this category), but WORKERS will not be wheeled (which means that you will eventually be able to get into the swamps or over mountains, but they will form a natural barrier to most units).

You'll still be able to settle on mountains, but you'll need a road to the spot first ;) (either that or a Dwarf Engineer squad).

I'm thinking about making Deserts and Tundra unable to be settled, but most likely will be Tundra, since you'll eventually be able to plant it with trees and make it habitable (plus that will help keep the undesirable territory relatively unpopulated for much of the game, even after the settler boom in the industrial era)....

For the Terrain changes I would recommend to focus on Final Fantasy. Means ,if there are cities in the desert you should allow some too. And so on...

Sadly ,in my home, my girlfriend is the FF part not me. She has really every part of the game series. Especially the Chocobo Knights have made her pleased. So greets from her as well.:)

I'm highly disappointed that nothing came from FF 1-3. I think that including the Kingdom of Corneria/Cornelia (Both are technically correct). Since we don't really know how large the kingdom is, the other cities could be the other towns in F1 (Minus Elfheim and Luneifia, as it is established that they are their own kingdoms, and wouldn't really make much sense anyways, being towns not of the human race), namely Pravoka, Melmond, Ornac, and Gaia. I know, really pitiful list, but we need to work with what we got.

There would be more material to work with (and you would be awesome) if we used content from 8-Bit Theature, like a definitive name for the king (King Steve), a wonder (King Steve's Kick-*** Bridge), among other things.

I'm highly disappointed that nothing came from FF 1-3. I think that including the Kingdom of Corneria/Cornelia (Both are technically correct). Since we don't really know how large the kingdom is, the other cities could be the other towns in F1 (Minus Elfheim and Luneifia, as it is established that they are their own kingdoms, and wouldn't really make much sense anyways, being towns not of the human race), namely Pravoka, Melmond, Ornac, and Gaia. I know, really pitiful list, but we need to work with what we got.

There would be more material to work with (and you would be awesome) if we used content from 8-Bit Theature, like a definitive name for the king (King Steve), a wonder (King Steve's Kick-*** Bridge), among other things.

Umm, first of all, welcome to the thread.

Second of all, in case you weren't paying attention, there are, in fact, SIX factions from FF I-III (along with all the UUs and such that entails).

From I there's the Light Warriors (which, BTW contains Corneria and Elfheim), which is lead by Prince Thief Clan Khee'bler, and has the Red Mage, Black Mage and Zodiac Kenshidoist (Sword-chucks, YO!) as UU's... If I get around to it, I may end up adding the "Flying Deathtrap" as a flavor Advanced Airship.... Sarda already has appearances as a Science leader and one of the guys who writes "A great History of the World"...

Also from I there is the Dark Warriors lead by Garland and it contains all the bad guys, including a Bikke's Pirates Marine-type UU, Dark Elf Blademaster (Dr'zzle), and Vampire (Vilbert).

From II, I have the Fynn Alliance (lead by Queen Hilda and with UU's being the Rebel, Enterprise Airship and Mystic) and Paramekian Empire (lead by Emperor Paramekia and with the Death Rider, Warlock and Imperial Guard as UU's)

The good guys from FF I & II get a special summon tech that allows them to build a Great Gospel SW that produces Archangels every X turns and the Bad Guys get another tech that allows them to build a Temple of Fiends SW that spawns Lich Kings every so many turns.

From Final Fantasy III, there is the Kingdom of Sasune (lead by Princess Sara and with Vikings, Mage-Knights and Sages as UUs) and the Forbidden Land Eureka (led by Great Tyrant Xande and with Skeletons, Lamia and Flying Fortresses as UUs). Both FF III factions get a specific Summon tech called "Elementals" that allows construction of a "Fire Shrine" SW that produces Ifrits every 10 turns.

....So as you can see, there is plenty of stuff in there from Final Fantasy I-III ;)

Okay, I've finally decided to get back to finishing this mod up... Granted I HAVE created/added a few new units this year, but that's all I've done, mainly due to external events (house-hunting, girlfriend, etc) and somewhat lack of interest.

I've been messing around with the Playground 2.0 mod, however, and still regularly playing Civ III, so I'm not as rusty as you might think (as a matter of fact, there are a few things I've discovered while customizing the Playground mod that I'm going to be incorporating into the finished Final Fantasy mod)....

For Starters, here are the main changes that I'm definitely going to make to the gameplay:

First of all, only workers, scouts, airships and chocobo units will be able to traverse Mountains, Ancient Forests and Swamps without roads. The purpose for this is two-fold: first to make the gameplay experience more like the original Final Fantasy Games (i.e. there are cities in the mountains, but you need to travel along a pre-made road to get to them unless you have airships or Chocobos)

Secondly, due to epic levels of AI stupidity, I'm getting rid of all the "Palace" type small wonders used for generating settlers, and just have the normal Palace do that... deleting the associated buildings and re-arraning the graphics files will no doubt be a pain in the butt, but nothing too major. This won't mean an end to unique settlers, however: I'm going to make the various settler units buildable by the various factions when Industrialization is researched, which should help fill out the territory a bit better on larger maps. In addition, the Dwarf Engineers generated by the Dwarf Engineers' Guild small wonder will now only be useable as super-fast workers (2 movement and work twice as fast).

Finally, I'm going to be cranking out a bunch of units soon... Easiest for me to make (due to having recently made similar ones) are: Black Mage (use my staff-chick animations), Red Mage (use some of my Captain Jack Sparrow animations and add a magic attack), re-do the Shinra Soldier (due to having more and better parts available and better two-handed sword animations) and Cloud Strife (again, due to having better props, textures and animations). I'm also going to be releasing a few more King Unit packs (one will be called "Killer Queens," and will feature Queen Reina (or Lenna for those who prefer the re-make), Queen Hilda, Edea and The Star Sibyl... The other one will consist of some of the guys, namely Squall, Paramekia, Karst, and Trion I.

Finally, I've also been inspired to start work on another project, a massive-multiplayer crossover mod: The Lord of the Final Fantasy scenario... Basically, you'll have all the Third-Age LoTR factions from the Lord of the Mods (with one or two possible exceptions) on a slightly enlarged and modified Middle Earth map (I've widened it to include Tol Fuin and Menaltarma), with the remaining empty spots being filled by random Final Fantasy faction start points. This won't be a mere "Final Fantasy Mod ported to Middle Earth" scenario, either, but one that tries to fully combine aspects of both settings (i.e. Resources will be combined, which means that Mythril = Mithril, there will be NO chocobos or Chocobo units, but horse units instead, some bonus resources, like Taters and mushrooms will be carried over from LoTM, etc).

Thanks to all who have supported me over the years. I'm sorry I haven't been as consistent with work on this project as I should have been.

EDIT: here's a preview of all the faction leaders:

Final Fantasy Mod Faction Leaders by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

Excellent. Thanks for updating the most awesome fantasy mod for Civ3. :king:

Glad to know there are still those around who support this!

OK, current updates: In the process of adding Grandraem's Wizard unit as a King Unit for Grand Maester Mika of Yevon.

Even though I haven't yet started adding any of the features I've mentioned (been doing units), I'd like to add another to the list that I forgot about:

Initially, Tundra will be un-settleable... Since you can plant trees later in the game, this should not be a problem in the long run.

So, what do you guys think about my Lord of the Final Fanatasy idea (aside from Weasel, who doesn't seem to appreciate crossovers much :lol: )

OK, a few Addenda: First of all, I've decided to move the Knights of Pluto UU for Alexandria to the Dragoon/Lancer line, and give them an all-female offensive unit lineup (much like Alexandria was in-game)... I'm going to be using the Girl Warrior that I made for the Playground Mod as their Fighter replacement, the Amazon Warrior I made as their Knight replacement, and I'm currently working on an Alexandrian Soldier unit that looks like the one in the game to replace the Sell-Swords they would normally train (i.e. take the place of the Knights of Pluto), an Alexandrian Guard (a unit that will look like something between the Soldier and Beatrix) to replace the Mercenary, and of course, the Holy Knight (a.k.a. Beatrix) already replaces the Ronin at the end of the lineup.

Furthermore, based on extensive playtesting that I did, I'm also bumping up the attack stats on all offensive type units (and the dragoon type units), since the AI is too stupid to use artillery (even when its available at half-cost and twice as effective), and having defensive units with the same value as the offensive units + additional bonuses from being fortified in a city, etc results in lots of units getting killed for no progress....

I'm also going to be doing a THIRD re-make of Queen Hilda of Fynn... I've finally gotten good pics of what she looks like in the Nintendo DS remake of FF II, and I think I just happen to have the parts to make her funky horned crown helmet and other clothes. If you're wondering why I'm going to be working on that now, three words: King Unit Pack, which will include all the remaining ladies (I'm calling it the Killer Queens, since it will have Queen Reina, Queen Hilda, Sorceress Edea and the Star Sibyl).

Well, I've been playing the Playground 2.0 mod, and the Girls' ultimate unit, the Vanquisher, has charm bombardment, and as far as I can tell it does exactly squat, so I'm not going to use it.... For the same reason, the AI doesn't seem to use the Teleport abilities of the summoned creatures, so I'm going to axe that as well, and just give them all 4 movement and allow them to be transported like regular units.

I thought charm bombardment halved enemy defenses. Most of the Amazon units in Tides of Crimson have charm bombardment.

Yes, but like I said, it didn't do anything... I tried using the Vanquisher's charm bombardment on enemy units in the Playground mod, but they still wiped the floor with my units, despite the fact that, with defense halved, the opposite should have occurred...

Quick update: I've finished making the gameplay changes I listed, and I'm now in the process of updating the unit graphics. (i.e. replacing the current saurus gunner graphics with Tom's elite Lizardman and similar such stuff.)

I just did an initial playtest with mountains, swamp, ancient forest and volcano tiles impassable to wheeled units, and all but a relative handful of units flagged as "wheeled".... This has had interesting effects on gameplay from the get-go, causing entire areas of the map to essentially remain wilderness until a road can be pushed through or bypassed via sea routes.

Also, the AI is much more competent now that they have the settler-generating building right off the bat...

Perfect timing. Just when I start my break from university and when the weather is too cold to go outside. :D

Well, I hope to have it finished before winter... Well, gameplay-wise anyways. I've been doing a bit more working on it, and have decided to do like most other recent mods and reduce army capacity to 1 unit, but give it bombardment value and HP bonus.... I also had to remove the "increase army size" flag off all my mercenary buildings... Since my idea of limiting the settler build until the industrial era seems to be working quite well, I'll most likely go back to working on the units.

My current unit project is the much-neglected Chocobo unit line... I've got the model done for the Chocobo Rider, but I need to copy the Chocobo run animations and such from the Chocobo Knight and make new animations for the rider.... After that I'll make a Chocobo Cavalry (on a GREEN chocobo) and Chocobo Dragoon (or Cuirassier) on a BLACK chocobo.... The Chocobo units (and flavor unit equivalents) are among the few units that can cross mountains, volcanos, ancient forest and swamps without roads (others include Marines, just because they're that hard-core and the Banga mercenary unit lineup)...

Top Bottom