Final Fantasy Mod: Public Beta thread

Check out the "Tutorials & References" sub forum.... It's chock-full of all sorts of goodies and info on all aspects of modding (including all the tools you need to mod that aren't included with the game)....

i saw people mention programs like poser and bryce, but i dont have $200 to spend on a program. I looked everywhere for free programs. do you know of any free modeling programs that arent overcomplicated to learn?:(

As for the cities... Unfortunately Civ III has a hard-coded limit on 5 city types, so I decided to put the Final Fantasy VII and VIII cities together (since they were fairly close to each other), the Final Fantasy Tactics/half of the rest of the World of Ivalice/Final Fantasy IX cities in another group, the Final Fantasy I, II, IV, V, VI/other European/Elvish style cities in a third group, the Aht Urghan/Final Fantasy X/other half of the WOrld of Ivalice/Final Fantasy III cities in the fourth group and everything else (Windhurst and most of the Evil factions) in the last group...

You can have up to 10 different city graphics (20 is the normal max with much greater limitations), but doing this would restrict you to use only 3 of the tech era's (the 4th has to be unavailable because the civ's have to be 'stuck' in the 3rd and 4th eras to 'keep' their city graphics from changing). And there are not any major side effects I have come across from doing this; besides the one previously mentioned. I'm using this method in the mod I'm working on, and Steph is also doing this in his.
Using all 4 eras throws this under the bus though, so I guess it comes down to whether or not 1 less tech era is worth a few more city graphics. :)

Tom

You can get TrueSpace for free (they have a tutorial for that) and it's fairly similar to Bryce (for modelling anyways).....

ok thanks, ill see whether i can make models for the esthar soldier and mobile type 8. any specific file type to save it as? (if im successful)

Umm... Save it as the truespace format that Bjorn specifies... I can import that into Bryce 5 and animate it from there.....

As for the Esthar Soldier, I have/had a WIP one in Poser 5 format (better for animating humans), but was promised by Quinzy that he'd make it, but he never got around to it, so I'll just dig it up later, when I have the time....

Plenty, welcome. You need to discribe the problem a bit. After installing? Which version (vanilla,PTW, or Conquests) If trying this Mod you need Conquests patched to 1.22. Further help is here.

Plenty, welcome. You need to discribe the problem a bit. After installing? Which version (vanilla,PTW, or Conquests) If trying this Mod you need Conquests patched to 1.22. Further help is b here.
I have the "Civilization III Complete" edition. I have tried replacing the files in my Civilization III folder with the ones in the attached file, but when I do such, it prevents the game from starting up; I will receive the "This program was stopped; we are sorry for the inconvenience" message.

Glad to see you have not given up Blinchiki ! First, You don't "replace" the files so you should probably reinstall. Then when you open the file from this thread it will ask or list "extract to ..." select that option. Your file structure will be shown. Extract to (location you installed complete to)/Conquests/Scenarios. After that open Conquests and click on Civ Content. You will find FF listed as a ".biq" ,enjoy!

There isn't a .biq file that comes with the folder I downloaded from the main page. I have a sub-folder called "Final Fantasy" in my \Conquests\Scenarios folder, instead.

The BIQ is in the update/bug-fixer patch at the bottom of the first post. ;)

Okay folks,

I've decided to get back to work on this here mod....

Some observations:

#1, due to the incredible stupidity of the AI, particularly when it comes to building the civ-specific "palaces", I think that I'm going to have to ditch the civ-specific settlers, and just have the normal palace produce setters instead. The Dwarf Engineer's Guild will remain in place.

#2: the mod has too many resources, particularly strategic resources... To help reduce the clutter (and provide a decent chance of having critical resources such as iron, Saltpeter, coal and Mythril show up in quantity that everyone has a decent chance of getting them), I've eliminated Dinosaurs and Giant Spiders, and have moved those lines to certain civs as flavor units to replace the chocobo unit lineup (Namely Aht Uhrgan, Dark Warriors, Forbidden land, Orcs and Paramekian Empire).... They still require Chocobos (as food for said dinos and spiders), but otherwise the specific resources are now gone. I've also changed the Hot springs into bonus resources and have eliminated the geothermal Plant and changed the Hot Springs Resort to a Bathouse, and it no longer provides culture (but still makes two people happy)...

#3: I'm in the process of finishing out the UI, and am currently working on the City Screen.

Any suggestions or ideas are, of course, welcom!

Idea for a wonder: Paramecia Fried Chocobo! Provides happiness, a little bit of pollution and requires chocobos!

Spoiler :
don't worry, I'm only joking.

Idea for a wonder: Paramecia Fried Chocobo! Provides happiness, a little bit of pollution and requires chocobos!

Spoiler :
don't worry, I'm only joking.

I might put that in as an easter egg. ;) :p

Also, I remembered something else that bothered me:

The airship factories: I only got a total of 7 airships over the effective lifespan of the normal airship factory before it went obsolote (and that was with researching every tech that I could before I had to research industrialization to extend its lifespan)....

furthermore, coal and Mythril/Materia are relatively rare resources, which means that civs could be SOL when the normal Airship Factory goes obsolete.... Of course, the standard Airship factory requires saltpeter, which can be scarce at times as well...

my thoughts on this issue are to remove the obsolescence of the standard and steam airship factory (the standard airships can more or less hold their own against even MODERN units, and are still effective fast scouts and artillery), but slow down their production a bit... That way, if you don't have access to certain resources, you can still get airships of some kind or other as well as more total airships (I just wanted airships to be limited, not scarce as hen's teeth!)....

Also, here's a WIP of the city screen (still need to do the buttons):

Attachments

• Cityscrn1.jpg
    Cityscrn1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 145
Got the city view interface completely finished:

going to work on the rest of the UI stuff... Once it's finished, I'm uploading it as a separate package in case anyone wants it for their mods.

Another thing I've realized about the gameplay: I finally decided to try the mod out on a large map (the one Beleriand map that's floating around here), and found that even into the modern age, the world still isn't close to completely settled...

So, in addition to eliminating the palace type buildings and just have the palace generate the default human settlers every so many turns, I'm going to make ALL settlers (special or otherwise) available early on in the Industrial age (most likely with steam power, since that was what coincided with the major population growth and expansion in the real world)....

Attachments

• Cityscrn2.jpg
    Cityscrn2.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 594
Top Bottom