1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Final Fantasy Mod: Public Beta thread

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by DJ Bonebraker, Jan 2, 2009.

1. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

Ok, since I've made the move into my new house (mostly.... we still have boxes that need unpacked), I've decided to do some work on the Final Fantasy mod and try and get it out the door once and for all.

First off, I tweaked the workers a bit: Captured workers (all types) become POW's, which can be traded, and upgrade (for 0 cost) into whatever worker your faction has.

Also, I've been re-vamping some of the unit graphics (namely the much-neglected Dragoon line) with some of the excellent stuff that Sandris and co. have put out recently, and I'm starting to work on making the final units that need made... I'm currently using Supa's Terror Rider as the Chocobo rider unit, but since I realized that the rider is, in fact, buck naked, I'm going to be working on my long neglected Chocobo Rider unit.

To that end, I've just created a complete library of Chocobo animations (which I may upload, since Kinboat has already uploaded the chocobo itself, in case anybody wants to make, say a Rock Jack from Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind), and will likely start animating and rendering that either later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Furthermore, thanks to the whimsical units I've made for the Playground mod, I now have a good animation library to make the following units:

Red Mage
    Black Mage
    Queen Reina (or Lenna)
    Sorceress Edea
    Shinra SOLDIER
    Cloud Strife
    Squall Leonhart
    Laguna Loire
    Emperor Paramekia

...and a few others I may have forgotten.

I'm also working a bit on the side of how to integrate the Lord of The Mods with the Final Fantasy factions (for instance, since this will have the LoTR civs achieving modern tech, I'm debating about whether to give the Cossack unit to Rohan or the Easterlings... I'm leaning towards the Easterlings, since they seem to be a blend of Mongols and Russians, particularly the bearded Easterlings with Axes, which means that Rohan will probably have something along the lines of Hussars or Uhlans, to keep with their Germanic pattern....)

2. Ogedei_the_Mad

Ogedei_the_Mad Caffeinated Khagan

Sounds great. I've been hoping for an update to the Final Fantasy Mod for a while. :D

3. DJ Bonebraker

Yeah, I'm really sorry about the delay, and dropping off the face of the earth for about 6 months, but I got married, and had one of the most awful run-arounds for buying a house you could imagine (I submitted my offer for the house in May and didn't close the deal until NOVEMBER, thanks mostly to bumbling incompetence on the seller's part), so I haven't had much time for modding.

Hopefully I'll be able to get something that's at least acceptable out the door early next year.

4. BreonX

BreonX Chieftain

I've recently been enjoying this mod for a little while and playing fine until, upon completion of my Great Horde Wonder and I get this error

Load Error

ERROR READING FILE

Missing entry in "Scenarios\Final Fantasy\text\PediaIcons.txt":
    WON_SPLASH_BLDG_GreatHorde

This of course causes the game to exit. I could cancel the wonder because I have it saved the turn before but don't want to run the risk of another civ building it and causing the same crash.

Really good mod btw, could spend many hours on this. Keep up the good work.

5. DJ Bonebraker

Sorry about the lack of reply, Breon, but I believe that I patched that error already (should be attached to the first post)...

Anyways, I'm working on getting this mod finised ASAP.

So here's the Honeydew Inc. To Do list of things to do (followers of the Yogscast should get that one):

1. Make Queen Reina king unit DONE
    2. Re-Make Shinra SOLDIER
    3. Re-Make Mithra Ninja (I have WAY better props, figures and animations now that I can easily use)
    4. Make Red Mage
    5. Make Black Mage
    6. Make Sorceress Edea king unit
    7. Make Chocobo Cavalry
    8. Make Chocobo Dragoon
    9. Make Squall Leonhart king unit
    10. Make Laguna Loire king unit
    11. Re-Make Queen Hilde LH based on PsP remake's graphics
    12. Make Queen Hilde unit based on said images.
    13. Make Emperor Paramekia king unit
    14. Make Cecil Baron king unit.
    15. Possibly re-make Mithra Archer and Ranger units.
    16. Possibly re-make Viera Ranger & Gunner units.
    17. Maybe use the "Damsel" unit (or a modified version thereof) I made for the Playground mod as the "White Mage" unit, in place of the modded princess I'm currently using.

Attached Files:

6. Dumanios

Dumanios MLG

Hmm, will Cecil have both Paladin and Dark Knight forms be made?

7. DJ Bonebraker

Perhaps.... I'll need to look up the latest (from the PsP/Nintendo DS remake) version of the dark knight, but I don't see where that would be much of a problem, since both will use the same animations, just different armor, and considering my quad-core processor portable PC has reduced Poser 5 unit rendering times down from ~4-8 hours to about 2 hours max (It actually took me longer to do the post-processing of the rendered image files for my Amazon RPG than it did to render it).

I'm currently rendering Edea, BTW. Next up is most likely the Shinra SOLDIER and Cloud Strife (considering that they, also use the same base figure and animations, but with some slightly different clothes and props)...

8. MartinLuther

MartinLuther look at this kawaii anime boy i found :)

I hate to use my powers of Thread Necromancy, but this is one of the mods lost to the Fall of Atomic Gamer and I was wondering if anyone has a copy of it?

9. Quinzy

Quinzy Deity

I'd also be highly interested in getting this mod back :)

10. Ogedei_the_Mad

Ogedei_the_Mad Caffeinated Khagan

Same here. I think I might have it somewhere in my old backup drives. But even if I do, it's very likely that I only have the older versions.

11. Blake00

Blake00 King Supporter

Damn I don't have this one in my files either.. does anyone else here still have it? If you can get me a copy I'll use my large file access to upload it here to CFC to preserve like I've done with so many other rescues around here.

Looks like @DJ Bonebraker is still active on the site too! So you've still got a copy your mod mate I can give you a temp cloud location to upload it to and then arrange hosting for it here! Be such a shame if your work is lost forever!