Final Fixes Reborn

Okay, new question.
I found Obsidian. The 'pedia references suggest a quarry as it's requisite improvement. It seems to spawn through the Volcano events. Is it supposed to be in the game while gathering it is still not implemented?

Obsidian, IIRC, gets used by Legion of D'tesh. It also counts as a luxury resource, and from my experience it only requires a road to access it. Bug?

Code says that obsidian is associated with the improvement "ash field", not quarry.
Which pedia text are you reading?

Obsidian appears with the event creating a volcano
1) RifE status: the obsidian appears on the tile with the volcano -> Players can't access the bonus.
2) bug is reported to me
3) I update the code to make the obsidian appear on a new neighbouring tile without previous features
pNewPlot = findClearPlot(-1, pPlot) ## test Ronkhar - 2013-07-14
pNewPlot.setImprovementType(getInfoType('IMPROVEMENT_ASH_FIELD'))
pNewPlot.setBonusType(getInfoType('BONUS_OBSIDIAN'))

Bug: After a game has gone on for a few hundred turns, there is a tendency for the AI to get stuck in an infinite loop or something between turns. It's a buzzkill since you've been building up a civ for all that time just to get shut down by AI that doesn't know what it's going to do.

Playing on the Steam Version of BtS, newest Beta version of AoE.
Here's my save game from my google drive:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6oToXWV6tbHR1JOVlNrMnZYX2M/view?usp=sharing

IT would be good to sort out what's going on with the AI that makes this fall on it's face, a potential solution might be to limit the amount of time that each AI player has(AI turn timer?), or maybe a way to mark the units that are involved in the loop so they can be removed manually. IF anyone can explain to me how to debug this in the interim so I can salvage my game, that would be greatly appreciated.

Code says that obsidian is associated with the improvement "ash field", not quarry.
Which pedia text are you reading?

Obsidian appears with the event creating a volcano
1) RifE status: the obsidian appears on the tile with the volcano -> Players can't access the bonus.
2) bug is reported to me
3) I update the code to make the obsidian appear on a new neighbouring tile without previous features
pNewPlot = findClearPlot(-1, pPlot) ## test Ronkhar - 2013-07-14
pNewPlot.setImprovementType(getInfoType('IMPROVEMENT_ASH_FIELD'))
pNewPlot.setBonusType(getInfoType('BONUS_OBSIDIAN'))

I assumed it was Quarry, because the incomplete 'pedia entry refers to Masonry. I'm as yet unfamiliar with D'tesh.

EDIT: I have an Obsidian, with a Road and an Ash Field. I'm still listed as having 0 (and no Red text). Most other resources linked to a single civ are only revealed and harvestable with a Civ specific tech. Why is this one different?

You can forget about a special link between D'tesh and the bonus obsidian. TheIanOakley was mistaken this time. (probably because of the Obsidian Spire, their capital & palace)

The pedia article obsidian is lackluster but all required information is there:
1) gives 1 happiness with ash field
2) requires you to have tech masonry to be active

I tested it ingame just now to check your assertion.
New random game, open game editor, add obsidian, ash field and road to city, add masonry tech
And voila, the city gets obsidian and the related happiness bonus.

Please show a screenshot of the map (mouse over the obsidian tile), and of your city

Bug: After a game has gone on for a few hundred turns, there is a tendency for the AI to get stuck in an infinite loop or something between turns. It's a buzzkill since you've been building up a civ for all that time just to get shut down by AI that doesn't know what it's going to do.

Playing on the Steam Version of BtS, newest Beta version of AoE.
Here's my save game from my google drive:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6oToXWV6tbHR1JOVlNrMnZYX2M/view?usp=sharing

IT would be good to sort out what's going on with the AI that makes this fall on it's face, a potential solution might be to limit the amount of time that each AI player has(AI turn timer?), or maybe a way to mark the units that are involved in the loop so they can be removed manually. IF anyone can explain to me how to debug this in the interim so I can salvage my game, that would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: game salvaged by killing the frozen settler (open game editor, click 2nd icon enter erase mode, click the stack at the bottom of their territory (near pyre of the seraphic) to remove, close game editor)

The AI is our (=programmers) nightmare.
It will probably be fully repaired in a few decades...
Opening your savegame right now
Spoiler :

(note to self: the save can be opened with R119)
Action0: music on (this will be boring) ;)
Action1: end turn
Result: the game lags ("waiting for other civs"). The bug is reproduceable \o/
Action2: click the minimap
Result: the screen moves -> not frozen
Action3: open several screens: pedia, F9...
Result: functional
Action4: end turn, save the game while lagging and reload
Result: same status
Action5: check logfiles
Result: nothing special written

Action6: remove one civ after another and end turn
Action6.1: remove bannor/Tethira -> still lag
Action6.2: remove bannor/Koun -> still lag
Action6.3: remove Kurio -> still lag
Action6.4: remove lanun -> still lag
Action6.5: remove cual -> still lag
Action6.6: remove sidar -> still lag
Action6.7: remove amu -> still lag
Action6.8: remove elo -> still lag
Action6.9: remove meca -> still lag
Action6.10: remove hamst -> still lag
Action6.11: remove frozen (they are not listed in the civs. Why?) -> victory, no lag
Action 6.12: reload 1st save (waiting for crash) and remove frozen only -> repaired

Frozen civ status: 2 cities (capital Mulyr + Grima) and X units (capital has 2 ice golems, 2 winter wolves, 1 axeman and finishes boat next turn, Grima has 4 adepts and builds boat in 2 turns, wandering=2 champions+1 worker +1 stack adept+bow+settler)
Action 7.1: remove Mulyr and garrisoned units -> still lag
Action 7.2: remove wandering units too
Action 7.3: remove units garrisoned at Grima too -> still lag
Action 7.4: remove the wandering units I didn't see at first (adept+bow+settler) -> repaired
Action 7.5: remove adept and bow, leave settler -> still lag
Action 7.6: change AI for settler (from settle to explore) -> repaired. On the following turn, change AI for settler to "settle" -> broken again

added to bug 553

You can forget about a special link between D'tesh and the bonus obsidian. TheIanOakley was mistaken this time. (probably because of the Obsidian Spire, their capital & palace)

No probs man, I haven't played in a while, need to get back into it.

The pedia article obsidian is lackluster but all required information is there:
1) gives 1 happiness with ash field
2) requires you to have tech masonry to be active

I tested it ingame just now to check your assertion.
New random game, open game editor, add obsidian, ash field and road to city, add masonry tech
And voila, the city gets obsidian and the related happiness bonus.

Please show a screenshot of the map (mouse over the obsidian tile), and of your city
Okay. I checked again and I do have Obsidian. I must have failed to let it resolve before checking it when the road was completed to the Ash Field.

How do I build an Ash Field? I have other Obsidian resources that I cannot collect but would like to.

You don't (at least without using the map editor)
The ash field appears only during the volcano event.
What I guess is that this requirement was added in RifE to prevent players from building another improvement on the tile and getting a big yield on it.
Were the ash fields cleaned by the AI or by you? (I always thought the AI didn't touch ash fields)

You're a badass, thanks for figuring that out, I'll follow that procedure from now on. Also, some AI have the "raiders" upgrade, so they pillage ash fields automatically, and Barbs will sometimes pillage it. I've also seen AI build forts on top of them.

IF you need to collect obsidian after it gets pillaged, and you have a good while you are able to wait, just throw down a fort, and once it hits citadel, it will harvest it for you. I couldn't find it in the map editor because I'm a dumb dumb.

Also, the frozen civ spawned in a new game I'm playing and they used a spell called "Wintering" and now all my units are wintered. Any clue how to remove this normally? I don't need to actually remove it because it's also true of enemy units, among other things. I'll see if dispel works.

Edit: Yup, Dispel totally works. Meta magic is insanely useful :/

You don't (at least without using the map editor)
The ash field appears only during the volcano event.
What I guess is that this requirement was added in RifE to prevent players from building another improvement on the tile and getting a big yield on it.
Were the ash fields cleaned by the AI or by you? (I always thought the AI didn't touch ash fields)

Gotcha. I probably stripped it, since I'm playing with a Raiders. I just didn't notice.

I can confirm that if the forces of Bhaal take over the Guardian of Pristin Pass or the Tower of Eyes, they destroy the improvement in order to found a city after a few turns. It happened most recently when I was trying to take the Tower of Eyes from an Overlord. I've also seen it for the Guardian in previous games. Is this intended?

Something happened in my current game that I'm pretty sure is not supposed to. The Illians (played by AI) completed The Draw, causing them to declare war on everyone else. During the war, however, notifications popped up that this or that civ had made peace with Auric Ulvin.

I looked in the event log and couldn't find any explanation. They weren't vassalized, so I know it wasn't that. All I can think is that one of the events occurred that can cause peace, e.g., the "great mediator" event, or the soldiers-showing-compassion-to-the-wounded event (I might be forgetting some others).

From what I can tell, the intent of The Draw is to cause permanent war between the Illians and everyone else. So I'd suggest trying to find some way to block these particular events from happening for (or to) the Illians once they've completed The Draw. You don't want to block the events altogether, because some civs will be at war with civs other than the Illians.

I don't know if there's a way of preventing the Seven Pines or Corlindale's "Peace" spell from forcing peace on the Illians, but if there is, I'd suggest making those changes -- again, these would apply only after the Illians complete The Draw.

I don't think the Illians + Seven Pines is a glitch. And if they manage to somehow get ahold of Corlindale, or the Elohim want to use Corlindale against the Illians, that should definitely be allowed.

I don't think the Illians + Seven Pines is a glitch. And if they manage to somehow get ahold of Corlindale, or the Elohim want to use Corlindale against the Illians, that should definitely be allowed.

The Elohim aren't in my particular game, actually, it was just something I thought of in thinking about this overall

I don't know if anyone in my game used Seven Pines to force peace with the Illians, but anyway, that can only be done once, right? There were many instances of civs making peace with the Illians, so Seven Pines would not explain that.

I'll (obviously) leave it to the team to decide what to do for Illians + Seven Pines and Illians versus Corlindale, I'm sure you guys can figure out what you you think words best here.

Getting what appears to be a repeatable CtD at the end of this turn. Just hit "enter," there will be an announcement about Rhoanna having created the Great Merchant Geogi Bandon, then the game will crash.

I'm missing some icons, like smiley, health, the great person icon, and apparently mana icons, too. Food and hammers and coins and what not seem to be fine, though.

I've tried both the full download and the svn, messed with settings, and tried the low res pedia, too, but nothing seems to fix this.

I've also spent far to long trying to find any kind of similar issue anyone else may have come across and aside from some old terrain issue that has been fixed long ago I can't find jack. I can't believe I'm the only one to have this issue, but my google fu is failing me.

Can anyone help? I'm at my wits end.

Attachments

• missingicons.jpg
    missingicons.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 92
Are you using steam normal version of beyond the sword instead of beta?
Prerequisite for Steam users: In your steam library, right-click on Civ4, open "Properties", tab "BETAS". In "Select the beta...", choose "original release"

Top Bottom