1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Final Fixes Reborn

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by Ronkhar, Apr 17, 2013.

1. A Moon

A Moon The "A" is silent

The last time I played (whenever that was), the Scions get a penalty to happiness/productivity when a city is unhealthy, but the Necropolis from the Necromancy tech removes unhealthiness from population for them, effectively negating the issue.

2. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

I have a vague recollection of something like that from I don't know how long ago, but I didn't notice anything similar in my recent Scion games. Will have to start another one and take another look, I guess.

On a separate note, I recently played a Mechanos game and it's not clear to me why the Mechanos can build Mage Guilds, since they can't build any Arcane units. I guess one benefit to them of a Mage Guild is that the Catacomb Libralus gives additional :science: plus GP points, and there are some events that occur if you have a Mage Guild, but still, doesn't seem quite right, I don't know.

3. Hankc

Hankc Warlord

I made a module once that gave the Mechanos a Mage Guild UB called Techpriest's Hall and increased training rate for Divine rather than Arcane units. (Techpriests are divine units right?) It was just a simple replacement, no new art or anything, but I felt it was fitting. I don't think I have the module anymore, but if you want to implement something like it, go ahead.

4. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

Techpriests and Adeptuses (Adepti?) are Disciple Units, yes, not Arcane.

5. Jheral

Jheral Prince

"Adepta", I think is the plural.

It's one of those strange things that the Mechanos has going for it. Basically a consequence of it attempting to cut out one of the biggest branches of the tech tree. I tend to think they need a bit of cleanup (as in "remake to bring them more into line", since they're a bit too out there), but that's just me I guess.

6. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

It's a bit strange, though, since the only thing they get from a Mage Guild is the chance to get an Adept through an event -- and since they're blocked from Mages and Archmages, the Adepts are of limited use. If they're really lucky they might get Gaelan through the related event. And of course if they build the Catacomb Libralus after building their first Mage Guild they get the extra science plus GP points.

Doesn't seem like a reason to allow them to build it, though. Civs that can't build Libraries can't build the Great Library, civs that are blocked from Alchemy Labs can't get Mary Morbus, etc.

7. TheIO

TheIO Bugged

[/GCSELatin]Adeptus is second declension masculine nominative singular, the plural of which would be Adepti. Adepta is either the first declension feminine nominative singular or the second declension neuter nominative plural, the singular of which is Adeptum, which is also the second declension masculine accusative singular. [/GCSELatin]

8. Jheral

Jheral Prince

I know next to nothing about Latin - I stand corrected :p

9. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

Following up on a couple of matters I raised in earlier posts:

Dark Forests Game Option

I have indeed been seeing Blighted Forests and/or Diakonos in my recent games -- I get the "A unit wanders, lost" message when a unit enters a Blighted Forest. I don't know why I wasn't seeing them before, maybe just didn't notice. They don't seem to be as widespread as they were in the couple of games I accidentally started on Quick Speed, but that might be a wrong impression on my part.

Scions Health/Unhealthiness

Out of curiosity I started a game of Fall Further and selected the Scions. My first city (my capital, obviously) did have Unhealthiness. I didn't continue playing the game to see how Unhealthiness operated originally for the Scions, but it was there. So you might be interested in taking a look at Fall Further and seeing if you want to go back to that. I'm perfectly happy with the Scions as they are in Ashes -- except for the unnecessary food and health buildings -- but you guys might feel differently.

10. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

Again, I know consecutive posts are frowned upon, but it's been a couple of days, plus I've encountered what I think are a couple of bugs:

1) Decius and the Calabim World Spell

I was playing as Decius of the Calabim and when I cast River of Blood my own cities lost population. The standard message appeared: "A player has cast River of Blood, etc." I'm pretty sure I have not seen this with other Calabim leaders, so I'm guessing it's a Decius problem.

2) Dark Forests causing a crash?

I think the Dark Forests Game Option might be causing the occasional crash. When I sent a unit into what I'm pretty sure was a Blighted Forest, it was driven out with the "Agares' taint" message. When I then selected a more distant tile (maybe 5 or 6 turns away) and the computer's automatic path selection selected a path through the same forest, when I right-clicked on the distant tile and my unit moved through the same forest, the game crashed.

11. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

I, for one, have no issue with consecutive posts if they're constructive ^^

i'll take a look at the decius and dark forest things this week, do the bugs come in normal download or svn version ?

for the scions, i hope to produce a clean-up/revamp/rebalance/something at some point, but it's pretty low on the to-do list ( i prefer fixing bugs for now ^^)

12. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

I'm playing the normal download, not the SVN.

The way the Scions are now, they have no unhealthiness, unlike in their original implementation in Fall Further. Up to you guys what you decide to do with them ultimately, but I have no problem with the immediate focus being on bugfixes.

13. The Flame8

The Flame8 Prince

Do you recommend the regular download or is the svn up to date? I've been off for a bit, but would like to see things with the newest update. It's come a long way!

14. Ronkhar

Ronkhar Warlord

As I remember, you're an experienced player. So it should be svn all the way.
    And don't forget to scream if we break something ingame ;)

Edit: moreover, your signature says "alpha tester"

15. The Flame8

The Flame8 Prince

I'll change the signature haha. Sorry that was a long time ago :p.

Sounds good. I'll use the svn (and you remember correctly)

Edit: It's crashing when it gets to Init XML (uncached). I'll fiddle with it more and see if I can get it to work. Weird since it has worked on this computer in the past.

16. The Flame8

The Flame8 Prince

Interestingly it crashes when I use the launcher, but not when I load the game and then load the mod from the in game menu. Any ideas on why that would happen?

17. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

One quick suggestion about the Austrin -- it might make sense to have their Civ trait, Wanderer, which currently gives their Recon units the Adventurer promotion, also give their Melee units the Guerrilla I promotion and their Archery units the Woodsman I promotion.

The reason I say this is that right now their Axeman replacement UU, the Highlander, starts with Guerrilla I, while their Longbowman replacement UU, the Recurve Archer, starts with Woodsman I. It's a bit weird that upgrading these UUs to Champions, Crossbowmen, etc., allows them to keep those promotions, but building the higher-tier units directly means those units don't have these promotions I think giving the Melee and Archery units the respective promotions would be simpler.

Just a suggestion, obviously.

18. teh1234

teh1234 Chieftain

I tried SVN download for the first time. Got CTD every time when I try load saved game. Everything else works perfectly. I use Windows 10. Any ideas?

https://www.sendspace.com/file/gok8pz - 2 example saves

19. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

yeah sorry, i broke that a few days ago, it should be fixed by now. (for new saves)

20. teh1234

teh1234 Chieftain

It is fixed indeed. Thanks. From the other hand, one thing that always bothered me with FFH2 and modmods, it's why horses can't use metals (i think no one even tried to deal with this issue)? Even longbow can. I know it's for sake of balance but it feels counterintuitive and makes mounted units obsolete faster. I think it's possible after necessary rebalances to give horses metals, especially because this mod is more concerned about immersion than balance :) (ok, i forgot about chariots, but hey, they don't use much different weapons than regular horsemen)