Final Fixes Reborn

Well, that's a new one on me.

Slightly related: five attempted game starts now, started launcher from Steam etc. Menu works. However, actually starting the game...crash to desktop, crash to desktop, no UI, and crash to desktop.

Fifth time loaded with no UI OR worldgen, just endless grasslands and rivers. I don't understand. I didn't do anything differently.

On a sixth attempt, game started perfectly. Functioning diplomacy et cetera. Nothing changed except I waited in the menu for a while, whereas I started the other games reasonably quickly after launch. I wonder...gonna play for now. Will check time correlate later, otherwise I'm out of ideas.

Issue happened again. A few turns into the game, I suddenly ally with every other civ in the game.

Tried it without Permanent Alliances on, Same thing happened, and my game crashed at that moment

Issue happened again. A few turns into the game, I suddenly ally with every other civ in the game.

Tried it without Permanent Alliances on, Same thing happened, and my game crashed at that moment

get me a save file just before the alliance thing happens ( an auto save for example), and a save before the crash. That's something i can look into ^^

I'm having trouble where Events don't appear to be working on this save.

This is the turn right before I should be popping the Council of Esus, but it doesn't pop. When I try to add CoE manually it won't even let the Council appear in game. I don't know if it's maybe a problem with the generating of a Nightwatch, or the religion itself.

No events are happening at all, and this has been the way since I got the Mod. This is the first time the lack of events are preventing any major gameplay mechanics though.

Even with that issue, this is a great mod! Super wonderful, hopefully I can get the full functionality working soon.

I'm having trouble where Events don't appear to be working on this save.

This is the turn right before I should be popping the Council of Esus, but it doesn't pop. When I try to add CoE manually it won't even let the Council appear in game. I don't know if it's maybe a problem with the generating of a Nightwatch, or the religion itself.

No events are happening at all, and this has been the way since I got the Mod. This is the first time the lack of events are preventing any major gameplay mechanics though.

Even with that issue, this is a great mod! Super wonderful, hopefully I can get the full functionality working soon.

it's likely the no event hidden option is activated. when you launch the mod for the first tilme or after playing another mod, you must first play a Play now game to reset all hidden options.

Decided to try again after reading the latest posts from the past week. The latest SVN (283) manages to create a game, play all the movies, have an interface and not crash in more than 50 turns so far.
BUT, it has a "Failed to compress game data" on every save game I try to make. The save files don't turn out to be gigabytes large, but they can't be loaded. The game just says "Failed to uncompress data" when I try to load any made save game. I'm attaching my latest save file with this game to see if any modder can use it. I'm going to keep trying to generate new games, etc.

Attachments

• failed compression.CivBeyondSwordSave
    196.1 KB · Views: 45
Nevermind my last post. Okay. It seems it happens whenever I reload the game for some reason. As it was working fine, then I loaded a turn 1 autosave, and I was allied with everyone, and shared their vision next turn.

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_Turn_0001.CivBeyondSwordSave
    84.3 KB · Views: 38
I started few games now for testing different civilizations and had no issues with the new version, game still crashes sometimes after end of a turn but it ´s very rare and after reload this error never occured twice.

I´m missing an option,- I remember after you started a game you had the chance to reload map in the first turn if you were not satsified with your starting location.
Now you ´ve to switch back to menu and make whole settings again, the option "fitting locations" isn ´t really helpful at all. In 90 % of my games I started in ice areas at the edge of the world nevermind the civ pick.

So step back to menu for recreation can take huge amount of time, if you ´ve to start over and over again.

Any reason why this helpful option got removed?

i don't remember this particular mod ever having the option; but i'll look into it

Sorry, maybe I was a bit short, I played only FFH2 before Ashes of Erebus, it could be it has already been removed in Rise from Erebus, though.

Balancing:
I ´ve looked at every civilization and Dural and chislev seem a bit underpowered/boring or bad balanced.

-As chislev are indians there could be made some further adjustments in skins and maybe special skills for archery classes and horseunits, also spiritmasters could summon fighting spirits too weak their enemies before attacking and so on.

-As they praise the spirits,- graveyards could have extra commerce or production bonus to them or a special ressource...ashes of the ancestors or something like that, explore these graveyards by other civilization in their territory could be a declaration of war.

- As they have afinity to spirit, chislev units could be immune to frenzy/rage

-As they are nomads they could be able to settle their cities somewehere else with horse drawn carawans as special skill, so they would be able to settle conquered barbarian cities somewhere else as well (dunno if that ´s possible and any useful, but would be a cool gimmick and sometimes it ´s maybe a good oportunity to settle somewehere else, because of bad neighbours or raided cities are too far away from capital ;-) ofc. already built buildings shall move with the carawan too as well ).
Just a few ideas.

regards
Jerrian

Sorry, maybe I was a bit short, I played only FFH2 before Ashes of Erebus, it could be it has already been removed in Rise from Erebus, though.

Balancing:
I ´ve looked at every civilization and Dural and chislev seem a bit underpowered/boring or bad balanced.

-As chislev are indians there could be made some further adjustments in skins and maybe special skills for archery classes and horseunits, also spiritmasters could summon fighting spirits too weak their enemies before attacking and so on.

-As they praise the spirits,- graveyards could have extra commerce or production bonus to them or a special ressource...ashes of the ancestors or something like that, explore these graveyards by other civilization in their territory could be a declaration of war.

- As they have afinity to spirit, chislev units could be immune to frenzy/rage

-As they are nomads they could be able to settle their cities somewehere else with horse drawn carawans as special skill, so they would be able to settle conquered barbarian cities somewhere else as well (dunno if that ´s possible and any useful, but would be a cool gimmick and sometimes it ´s maybe a good oportunity to settle somewehere else, because of bad neighbours or raided cities are too far away from capital ;-) ofc. already built buildings shall move with the carawan too as well ).
Just a few ideas.

regards
Jerrian
For the chislev, there's a module boosting them here : http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=560734
other than that, there are plans but not sure if/when we'll get to them, though i do agree they do need a bit of a makeover. ( i've never thought about doing something with the graveyards before, i'll keep it in mind). The moving cities thing is very complicated to code though, so i wouldn't count on it.

I tried using a method that kind of worked for me before, to get SVN 283 working with the save games. I tried playing with SVN 206, as I saw that it was supposed to be stable. On my install it kept giving me a missing intro video and no interface afterwards. Building a starting city with the Khazad (yeah, I like them, lol) let me build some weird stuff like a Nexus portal and Water elementals! After exiting the game I updated the folder all they way to SVN 283. Trying to generate a game from Play Now the first time around just caused a CTD. After that, I deleted /python /Art and /XML from my /Assets folder in the mod and I ran an update to SVN again. The game started normally, but again - no way to save and load games. Every autosave also causes an annoying pop-up with the whole Failed to compress game data error. I don't mind the hardcore, one-sitting challenge without the save games, as the game is extremely stable (no crashes or glitches in over 250 turns) but I'd still like to be able to use save games.

I tried using a method that kind of worked for me before, to get SVN 283 working with the save games. I tried playing with SVN 206, as I saw that it was supposed to be stable. On my install it kept giving me a missing intro video and no interface afterwards. Building a starting city with the Khazad (yeah, I like them, lol) let me build some weird stuff like a Nexus portal and Water elementals! After exiting the game I updated the folder all they way to SVN 283. Trying to generate a game from Play Now the first time around just caused a CTD. After that, I deleted /python /Art and /XML from my /Assets folder in the mod and I ran an update to SVN again. The game started normally, but again - no way to save and load games. Every autosave also causes an annoying pop-up with the whole Failed to compress game data error. I don't mind the hardcore, one-sitting challenge without the save games, as the game is extremely stable (no crashes or glitches in over 250 turns) but I'd still like to be able to use save games.

i've tested your save, i know exactly where your save is broken (it's the messages you get that are missaved somehow), but i haven't found out why yet. What language are you using ?

when you launch the mod for the first tilme or after playing another mod, you must first play a Play now game to reset all hidden options.
That statement belongs into the very first post of this topic. Just like the information where to find the cache files.

i've tested your save, i know exactly where your save is broken (it's the messages you get that are missaved somehow), but i haven't found out why yet. What language are you using ?

I am playing in English. Everything in my game folders is in English as well. If you remember, I had an issue some time before with my XMLs due to using a different decimal and number separator. I'm going to try changing my system locale from Administrative to English (US) from Bulgarian to see if it would somehow change and then download the latest SVN. Going to report back in shortly.

EDIT: The situation is the same even after changing the System Locale. Everything on my PC was set at English (US) but no dice, even after reinstalling the mod fresh and starting a new Play Now game.
On a side note: how can I get the World Builder's Unit Editor to let me teleport, copy and do other things to units. I could have sworn this was in the Builder in a past version of the mod...

Still having lots of issues with saving/reloading. Everytime I do that, I ally with every nation upon reloading the game.

Still having lots of issues with saving/reloading. Everytime I do that, I ally with every nation upon reloading the game.

Hmm, did you replace your old Rise from Erebus folder with the new one or just overwritten files with copy & paste? I would suggest a fresh Civ 4 installation + Rise from Erebus mod when a fresh installation of RFE just doesn ´t work as it seems your game/Mod version might be corrupted in someway.

@ Black Imperator
Yes, the move city option would be something outstanding,- never seen before in any Civilization game/Mod afaik,- that makes it interesting ;-) .But it would maybe cause problems because of game crashes and so on.
Hmm, maybe it would be a solid alternative to get supplies (carawans) when conquer/destroy an enemy city.
QUOTE=Daris;14386752]Still having lots of issues with saving/reloading. Everytime I do that, I ally with every nation upon reloading the game.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, did you replace your old Rise from Erebus folder with the new one or just overwritten files with copy & paste? I would suggest a fresh Civ 4 installation + Rise from Erebus mod when a fresh installation of RFE just doesn ´t work as it seems your game/Mod version might be corrupted in someway.

@ Black Imperator
Yes, the move city option would be something outstanding,- never seen before in any Civilization game/Mod afaik,- that makes it interesting ;-) .But it would maybe cause problems because of game crashes and so on.
Hmm, maybe it would be a solid alternative to get supplies (carawans) when conquer/destroy an enemy city.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=560734
Has some nice ideas too, specially for buildings :).

regards
Jerrian

Top Bottom