Final Voyage of L'Invincible Armada - Spanish Emperor Attempt III

on 100% tax i can pull in 887 gpt. I'm currently running at 20% tax and getting 108gpt so I'm pretty well sorted on the funds issue.

but also, I've got Leo's. Upgrades are halved.

the Celts suck-
=================================================
Kill a Knight that was trying to sneak through the jungle to get at Trondheim.

Trade Eletricity to the Indians for Wines, Dyes, WM and 20 gold

IBT – Iroquois offer me a MPP and a RoP. Erm……….. no.

1510AD
Kill 3 Pikes and 1 Archer using a Cavalry Army and my Conquistador Army to capture the city of Copenhagen. Normally I wouldn’t have as I keep saying I want to pull my armies back for the assault in the north. However this city holds the only sources of silks for all of the Celtic Empire. Removing them from play would hurt them no??

Before I begin to attack I would really like to wipe out the Celtic units in the pocket around Luzouv. There must be about 30 units in there and I’d rather take them out now rather than wait for them to retreat to a position where they could cause me greater pain. They are on mountains but I do have a lot of artillery support..

Send a Cavalry Army north from Stockholm to ensure that the Celtic forces cannot retreat from the killing fields. Kill 2 Knights, 1 MDI, 1 Archer and a Pike for the loss of a Cavalry.

Take out a Knight threatening Monguntiacum.

IBT- How Bizarre. The Celts are actually pouring MORE units into the Luzoux pocket. Also, just to be extra nice to me, they have piled up the majority of their units in the pocket into one big stack right next to my very own cannon stack. How nice.

1515AD
Bombard the stack and wipe out, 8 Pikes, 10 MDI and 2 Archers for the loss of 2 Cavalry and take out 2 Knight, and an archer with the cavalry armies and take out 2 Knights, 3 MDI, 1 pike and an Archer threatening Monguntiacum. So all in all for the loss of 2 Cavalry I’ve taken care of 30 Celtic units.

Begin work building the rail link to Monguntiacum and rename Noviomagus, “Rik’s Place”, easier to spell :lol:

Not wanting to wait on the completion of a rail link through the mountains and also to capitalise on the sudden weakening of Celtic forces due to the massacre outside Luzoux I push forward with cavalry and kill 5 Pikes and an archer to take the Celtic cities of Axima and Cataractonium. Cataractonium being the largest city yet captured in the war.

Kill 2 knights outside Cataractonium to ensure the city stays Spanish.

IBT- Loose a MDI to a Celtic Knight and America and Russia sign an alliance against Japan. What remains of the Celtic units in the Lezoux pocket begin to retreat.

Celts move a MDI towards Cataractonium, coupled with the knight which killed my MDI that’s two I need to take out next turn.

1520AD
With no need for its continuing existence I kill 2 Pikes and a healing MDI to capture Lezoux

Pick off 3 MDI and a pike as they try to retreat back to safer surroundings. All that remains of the units that were in the Lezoux pocket is 2 Archers and a lone knight.

While picking off the two units an AC is able to rout a MDI and generate another leader Immediately form another Cavalry Army.

Using this new army I kill 2 Pikes and an archer to capture Segusio. Kill another 2 MDI outside the city.

Just realised that my RoP with Russia ends next turn. The outcome of the negotiations will be decisive.

Rush temples in some of my newly captured cities. I don’t think culture will be a problem but there’s nothing wrong with begin careful.

Kill a Pike in Arausio, a city in the marshes east of Lezoux with a Cavalry Army, but I’ll need to wait till next turn to fully capture the city.

IBT- Some cities begin to riot as a result of the war. And on the exact same turn I get Scientific Method, Russia begin work on ToE

Celts move 2 Archers and 3 MDI towards Segusio, huh, seems they have some fight left in them after all.

1525AD
Sell Eletricity to the Japanese for Furs, WM, 46gpt and 140gold. Sell steam to France for 54gpt and 20 gold. Oddly no one seems interested in Sci Method.

Set research to Atomic Theory. Hopefully when I get ToE (6 turns, Russia is due it in 10) I’ll be able to trade it with the Russians for replaceable parts.

Kill the last remaining pike to capture Arausio and wipe out the units which were tasked to retake Segusio, loosing a Cavalry but gaining ANOTHER LEADER!!!!! how many is that now????

Using a badly depleated Conquistador army I’m able to kill 3 Pikes and capture Tolosa. I also kill 2 MDI to ensure the city stays Spanish next turn.

Using my Knight and a Cavalry army I capture Glanum without much fanfare, killing the customary 2 pikes.

This is my progress at present. It’s a very broad front ranging from Glanum in the north to Copenhagen in the south although there is little to no action down there. The Celtic response to my invasion seems to be centered on Cataractonium however the units seem to be moving north. It seems like they head for the last city to be captured then when another city is captured they change and go there. Odd.

Another 12 Cavalry units are pressed into battle.

IBT- An archer moves on Glanum, a knight approaches Monguntiacum and a cavalry is killed in Cataractonium.

1530AD
Kill 2 Pikes and an archer to capture Augustodurum and kill another archer and pike in Burdigala but fail to capture the city.

Ok, on looking at the terrain I’ve decided on a battle plan. In the south I shall push towards the mountain cities of Nemausus, Isca and Verulamium. And use those cities to hold the line while I follow the northern coast round and eventually sack the Celtic Capital, Entremont.

Once the red cities are taken and held then I can continue with taking the blue cities. Simple no?

IBT- Rome, France, Russia and Korea sign an alliance against Japan.

Celts move units against Arausio, which is undefended.

1535AD
Kill 3 Pikes and a MDI to capture the city of Burdigala. And slay another two pikes to capture Nemausus.

Save Arausio by killing the wayward pike and capture Aarhus by knocking off the two pikes.

Spend a lot of money to rush temples in the newly captured cities.

Clean up the countryside by taking out 2 Archers and a pike.

Loose a Cavalry to an unfortified MDI on a desert :crazyeye:

I really love Cavalry Armies. I capture Curovernum with 2 half strength Cavalry Armies :hammer: :rockon:

End the turn by killing 5 Archers, 4 MDI and 1 Pike, including the last two archers from the Luzoux pocket. No units were able to successfully retreat. And to make things all the sweeter, I get ANOTHER LEADER!!!! I use this guy to rush the Forbidden Palace in Ur. I would have made another army out of him but I already have two empty armies waiting for Infantry.

IBT- Rome land a Longbow man next to Harran (one of my Hittite cities) :Hmm: they wouldn’t??

Celts move against Tolosa, which is undefended
1540AD
The Romans are paying me 39gpt for Silks. They would.

Kill a single Pike to capture Isca.

Loose 1 MDI but kill 4 Archers and a MDI to successfully defend Tolosa.

Kill 3 Pikes and an archer to capture the city of Gergovia, starting to enter the Celtic core now.

Kill 3 Archers and a MDI which were trying to slip through the gaps in my lines.

Move the Third and Second Armies towards the Celtic city of Lapurdum, move my Rifle Army and 16 Cavalry towards Lugdunum and best of all, move 2 Cavalry Armies towards Entremont. Oddly enough, the Celts have never reconnected their capital city since my Conquistador Army pillaged the land way at the beginning of the war.

While we’re on oddities. Something was niggling at me but I never really gave it much though……. Where are the Celtic Knights. I saw a lot of them at the beginning of the war but the last one I killed was trying to escape from Lezoux. I have a brief check and I find out they have no horses. :hmm: they must have been trading for them.

Kill 3 Pikes and a spearman but fail to capture the Celtic capital.

Not that I’m being paranoid or anything but I load ten Cavalry and 2 Rifles into my ever growing navy and set sail east, towards the Hittite lands, less the Romans decide to start something. I already have two boats fortified in Tarsus with 3 Cavalry and 3 rifles. But if the Romans do start something this force will head north and attempt to form a beachhead from which to attack Roman interests on the other continent.

IBT-

They would. Longbow man tries and fails to capture Harran. Isabella is not amused.

Many cities celebrate, probably as a result of War Happiness.

However, like every party, there’s always one. One who stands in the corner holding his can of coke and looks miserable, talking about how his girlfriend doesn’t understand him and how unpopular he is, generally an arse. Well, in this game, that is Glanum. The city flips back to the Celts.

1545AD
Kill 3 Pikes to capture Lapurdum. In a unique occurance, 3 Frigates of the Spanish Navy are able to assist the land effort by bombarding the city of Lugdunum. What is even more unique is that all 3 Frigates hit their targets. With no loss I kill 3 Pikes to capture the city. And finally, the icing on the cake.

recapture Galum, killing a Spearman. I though the Celts had iron?? They do, kinda. They have 2 sources, however, neither are connected up :lol:

Kill 3 Pikes to capture the city of Glevum. The Celts are beginning to crumble.

Kill 1 pike in Hareid but fail to capture the city.

Kill 2 Pikes in Verulamium but the city still stands.

IBT- French want to trade WM, refused. But I do sell the electricity for WM, 53gpt and 210 gold.

America offers a MPP but I tell them no. I’ve still wary of them from my first Spanish Game.

I get the Iron Works message. WHERE????????

1550AD
After much searching its in Stockholm.

Sell Greece Iron for 12gpt. I’ve got 3.

Capture Verulamium by killing 1 Pike. I think there’ll be a lot of that this turn.

Mop up some Celtic Archers.

IBT- Entremont flips. I loose a single Cavalry.

COMPLETE THEORY OF EVOLUTION

Whoa...it seems as though the Celts are getting their asses handed to them. Bummer about Entremont flipping, but at least you didn't have many units there.

Great job Steviejay, your warmongering skills are impressive...and just out of curiosity, how many leaders have you had so far? Seems to me it must be in the high 'teens by now.

for the record, Entremont has flipped some more as well, as well as a few other cities.....

ok Leaders......

<begins to check>

oh wait. I know. I've made an army with every leader I've got bar one which I used to make the FP so that would be........... 15 (as of 1560AD)

Anyone want to make a guess about whats happened since I built the ToE (one's right, the other's are just pish)-
a) Am I currently at war with Mother Russia, in a fight for my life?
b) Am I currently milking Russia for 600+gpt?
c) Am I currently on a mad search for an illusive Celtic Caravel with a settler?
d) Or am I currently at war with the majority of the other continent due to my conflict with Rome?

nope, I can say with 100% certainty that Brennus is now my ***** and I'm prying out what remains of the Celtic Empire from my boot with a stick. :rockon:

Correct :banana: I've just ripped the Russian economy a new one.
===================
Get Atomic Theory and Eletronics as my free techs.

Gergovia flips, loose another Cavalry.

1550AD
For Atomic Theory I get-
Furs, Fascism, Industrialization, WM, 90gpt and 160 gold from the Iroquois.
Communism and 3 gold from America
WM and 310 gold from Greece
Sanitation, WM, 12gpt and 260gold from Russia (no Replacable Parts :( )

Russia is even willing to offer me 5 gold and 566gpt for Electronics. That&#8217;s 11,320 gold :crazyeye:

Seville begins on Hoover Dam.

After much deliberation on the Civ chat room (thanks Longasc) I&#8217;ve decided that I might as well take the gpt deal with Russia. For good measure I even squeeze them to 626gpt. So that&#8217;s 12520gold :crazyeye: I could upgrade a whole army of warriors to TOW with that amount of money.

I&#8217;m taking in 1026gold from other civs. Now that&#8217;s just strange.

Kill 3 Pikes to capture Alesia. I knew a girl called that once, she was quite nice looking.

Recapture Entremont. Do it again and I&#8217;ll raze you&#8217;re rebellious asses.

While recapturing Gergovia I gain another leader. I think I&#8217;ll rush Iron Works.

Capture New Alesia. This Cavalry Army rocks. Its taken about 4 cities all by itself.

Kill 3 Pikes to capture Eboracum. The Celts have now been pushed into a small pocket.

The Celts now have seven cities

Wipe out 6 assorted Celtic units which I overtook when rushing to capture cities.

IBT- Almost loose Eboracum because I didn&#8217;t defend it properly, oops. I still own it though.

Notice a (Russian) Pirateer. Interesting.

Aarhus flips.

The Celts land 4 units from a Caravel next to Hareid.

1560AD
Recapture Aarhus.

Six cities. Richborough falls with no fuss.

Five. Kill 3 Pikes and a spearman to capture the Celtic capital of Agedincum.

Four. Kill 2 Pikes and an archer to capture Ratae Coritanorum. Loose 2 Cavalry though.

Kill a number of assorted units standing about.

Take out a Pike from the stack that the Celts just dropped.

Sign a RoP with the Iroquois to allow me to land units to attack Rome quicker.

IBT- Celts declare on the Iroquois <chuckle>

Hareid flips

1565AD
Capture the city of Lindum, Deva and Kente with my Cavalry Armies. I&#8217;m running these guys into the ground, pretty much all are at half strength or in the red but I can&#8217;t slow up, I need to push on. I loose a Conquistador and a Cavalry army is forced to retreat (imagine me spraying Cola at the screen by screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and you&#8217;ll have a good idea of my house at that moment)

Attack with a small band of cavalry and capture the Celtic capital Rutupiae. The only Celtic city left is the city of Hareid, which flipped last turn

Move a 4/5 Cavalry, a 4/4 Cavalry and a 6/18 Cavalry Army towards the last Celtic city.

IBT- In a final act of defiance, Agedincum flips back to the Celts.

1570AD
Retake the city.

Before I launch the final offensive against Hareid I mop up all Celtic units (4 Archers) moping around inside my territory in the hope I could get one last leader but to no avail. So I begin the assault.

Decide to give my Armies a rest. Move in with the two Cavalry units.

Tis a beautiful sight to be sure. That&#8217;s for Spanish Rise to Power!! :rockon:

Now for the tedious part. The tidying up.

Need A LOT of workers. I&#8217;ve so much unworked land, especially in the Sumerian territories and obviously the newly capture Celtic cities.

I now have 3 Rifles and 12 Cavalry near the Roman objective, the port city of Byzantium.

Trade Electronics with Korea for Replacable Parts, WM, 5gpt and 80 gold. Upgrade 54 Rifles on the spot along with 32 Cannons.

1590AD
Korea offer a MPP, turn them down politely.

I need Factories, Stock Markets (when I can get them) and Hospitals

Kill a Roman Longbow.

Sell Communism to India for Gems, WM and 8 gold.

Despite all the domestic upgrades going on back home, the Spanish Army is hard at work. For the loss of a lone cavalry I am able to capture the Roman city of Byzantium, killing 3 of the more powerful muskets. The lack of artillery support hampered my advances here.

1605AD
Holy mother of God

Weak? Defenseless? Bite me Cathy

I hope she does declare if you refuse. (IF? What am I saying?) You have her surrounded, and with a little healing your armies could be ready to go and wreak some havoc. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Begin work building the rail link to Monguntiacum and rename Noviomagus, “Rik’s Place”, easier to spell :lol:
[dance] Oh screenie please ! [dance]

I wouldn't have traded Russia techs for that amount of gold. She's your next victim, so why risk something like this happening ?

If no war breaks out: have some worker-factories created. I think you'll need close to 180 to 200 native workers. How many have you got ?

If war breaks out: Throw Russia out of your continent and then mass-produce workers. If you capture Russia you'll need about 50 more workers.

You can't leave us hanging with that screen shot!!! I say send catherine to hell, take all her cities and burn moscow to the ground.

Top Bottom