FinMod

This mod has a Great person name bug. When playing Civ4 with some mods in any other language than English the Great people retain their english names instead of being converted into the local language.

Look what you did! Now I want Sauna improvement for Civ4 as well.

Requires fresh water and birch resource.
+1 Health, and +1 Happines if you have access to stone resource.
You get better löyly with good stones.

Kissamies said:
Requires fresh water and birch resource.
+1 Health, and +1 Happines if you have access to stone resource.
You get better löyly with good stones.

National wonder: löylyn MM-kisat (Löyly World Championship)
Adds sauna to all cities in this continent
No unhealth in this city if you have access to stone resource.

:lol:

Probably for the Finnish civ only, as foreigners often seem to feel sick, too hot or ashamed of all the nakedness when taken to a proper Sauna - try to talk about vigorating effects on body and soul, when person next to you looks as comfy as having an electric cattle prod in his ... :lol:

Besides in the USA sauna is often thought as a place to have orgys - people having Saunas are thought sexually overactive and kinky. In some countries like Sweden saunas are places for gays to meet etc. etc. Only in Finland it's a pure form of family rest and relaxation and health culture.

Yes, I guess I will start to work with building graphics for Civ4 when I know how to do it exactly. But I'll make a Sauna improvement first.

Had to register just for this. =)

Hyvä pojat. This seems like a great idea. I have yet to try it out, but will do so in a minute or two. Here are my two cents.

Someone questioned Kekkonen's being included. I'd say we can still agree that in good or bad, he was most influential and strong as a leader.

I was overjoyed to find out that a game developer actually made use of the great heritage of music the mankind has rather than hiring the janitor to write a tune or two(as many seem to do).

Now about the music, I'd like to make a few comments, because it's somewhat my cup of tea. I wouldn't waste Finlandia as a mere 'leader tune', it should be played in the background in the modern era. Another great work to play during the modern times is Sibelius' Kullervo symphony. Musically, it's WAY more Finnish than Finlandia. And of course the Karelia. And Valse Trieste. Another choice would be to go for Rautavaara for the modern times, for Sibelius is not actually that modern. =)

The national anthem should be forgotten altogether, for it has practically nothing to do with Finland, other than the fact that it was selected as the national anthem. It was composed by the German Pacius in honor of the czar, and is mostly a ripoff from a certain Polish mazurka(perhaps a way of including hidden anti-czarist thought). Plagiarising was the rule in those days.

During the renaissance, one could play a clarinet concerto by Crusell, or perhaps the first Finnish symphony by one of the Lithanders, can't remember which one though. In medieval times, Finland gave birth to the Piae Cantiones, a collection of spiritual songs. There are some great recordings of these. As to the ancient era, I can't really say. You might want to get a recording of a shamanic drum chant. =)

Here. If these don't set up the mood for Finland, nothing does. =)

Anyway, thanks again for making the mod. Much appreciated.

Riksa said:
Another great work to play during the modern times is Sibelius' Kullervo symphony.

You can copy your mp3's into Assets\Sounds\Soundtrack. I myself changed that annoying UN-theme for better one.

But, if you don't want Finlandia or even Karelia serie for leadermusic, what instead? Maybe Suomen laulu ("Kuule kuinka soitto kaikuu! Väinön kanteleesta raikuu! Laulu Suomen on, laulu Suomen on!") or Vala (for Mannerheim) or Savolaisten laulu (for Kekkonen)?

But, if you don't want Finlandia or even Karelia serie for leadermusic, what instead? Maybe Suomen laulu ("Kuule kuinka soitto kaikuu! Väinön kanteleesta raikuu! Laulu Suomen on, laulu Suomen on!") or Vala (for Mannerheim) or Savolaisten laulu (for Kekkonen)?

Well, that's a bit difficult. For Mannerheim, perhaps Kuula's Suojeluskuntien marssi. Now that's WHITE for you. =) Jääkärimarssi would also be good. Vala, in my opinion, can hardly be called music.

And as for Kekkonen, your idea is actually really good. The only problem is that he was from Kajaani, so it should be Nälkämaan laulu. Which is all right, since that particular song is the best of its kind. =)

Riksa said:
Well, that's a bit difficult. For Mannerheim, perhaps Kuula's Suojeluskuntien marssi. Now that's WHITE for you. =) Jääkärimarssi would also be good. Vala, in my opinion, can hardly be called music.

And as for Kekkonen, your idea is actually really good. The only problem is that he was from Kajaani, so it should be Nälkämaan laulu. Which is all right, since that particular song is the best of its kind. =)

No Kajaani, his birth place was Lepikon torppa, Pielavesi, Northen Savolax, Finland. But for Mannerheim, not Suojeluskuntien marssi and not Jääkärimarssi. Mannerheim was not joined into Suojeluskunnat and he wasn't jääkäri. "Ateenalaisten laulu" could be one choise or "Veteraanin iltahuuto". "Lippulaulu"? "Sillanpään marssilaulu"?

I still prefer Vala.

Lots of posts lately here. I'll answer some of it.

Great persons bug: A minor bug really since english is the only language supported by the mod anyway. Expect this to be fixed, though.

About sauna: It's a funny idea, but I won't do it. Too much work for so little gain. Also I'm not sure if it even fits the concept of the game. I'd say something like a spa/health resort would be way better if someone would decide to make something like that.

About music: The bad thing about adding multiple pieces of music is that it will make the mod bigger. I prefer to keep things as tiny as possible. Imho Sibelius is a solid choice if I decide to add some music.

Expect a small update in the near future.

Cheers,
Uluk

Uluk said:
Great persons bug: A minor bug really since english is the only language supported by the mod anyway. Expect this to be fixed, though.

Fixed and translated in FinMod Finnish Translation.

Ok, long overdue but here it is, a new version! I'd especially like to have some feedback on the new Kekkonen AI. Here's a quote from Mr. Will who was kind enough to do it.

Mr. Will said:
Basically, he's hard to anger but also hard to impress. This pretty much forces his neutrality. In the couple of test runs I played with him, nobody was on any better terms than cautious with him, and I don't recall seeing him in any real wars.

What's new in v1.1:
  • Support for patch 1.52
  • Unique Kekkonen AI (kudos to Mr. Will) (somewhat untested, comments and criticism are very welcome)
  • Three finnish Great Persons added (artists Jean Sibelius and Alvar Aalto, scientist A.I. Virtanen)
  • Various minor fixes

Uluk said:
[*]Three finnish Great Persons added (artists Jean Sibelius and Alvar Aalto, scientist A.I. Virtanen)
[/LIST]

Hey! That's it! You can sure find more Finnish Great Persons of all types of them. Let's list:

Artists:
Jean Sibelius
Alvar Aalto
Akseli Gallen-Kallela
Helene Schjerfbeck

Scientists:
A.I. Virtanen
Linus Torvalds
Johan Gadolin

Prophets:
Lars Levi Laestadius (actually Swedish)
Paavo Ruotsalainen
Fredrik Gabriel Hedberg
Abraham Achrenius

Engineers:
Are architecs artists or engineers?
If engineers: Uno Ullberg, Eliel Saarinen (and Aalto)

Merchants:
?

Heh, I just threw in a few just for fun really. I might add a few of each type later on. Suggestions are of course always welcome. :) Too bad there's a shortage of notable finnish prophets, engineers and merchants. And when I mean notable I mean notable on international scale. On the other hand there are a great deal of people who could be classified as great artists. Adding Jorma Ollila as a great merchant crossed my mind though. :p And maybe Elias Lönnrot and Arvo Ylppö as great scientists.

Cheers,
Uluk

I just wanna say I like your country and it's the only country of the Scandinavians that I haven't gone to. One day... But it's so hard to talk to you! You're all like: ...I don't know. You're UU should either be a man talking Finnish and by that overwhelming his enemy, or a ski guy like you used in WWII. I haven't tried this Mod out but I will ... Hally dally doo neighbour, and I also like the sauna idea, and you should add some famous Finnish artists for glassmaking, cos when I think of Finland, I think of beautiful glass. And by the way..someone said here that other countries didn't liked saunas or something like it. Well, Iceland loves saunas and.. I love Finland..still you're kinda weird. Not like the people but just like the music.. The rasmus, Beats and styles... and your Eurovision songs are all so "diffrent" ;) Thank you

I am Finn by myself and I just want to tell that I´m very surprised about that someone has even got an idea of making Finn Civilization. Thankyou thankyou

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Hey Uluk

You changed the place of jaeger in files and that changed my units to others (jaegars to SAM infantry, for example). I had to change the file CIV4UnitInfos.xml back. I wanted to say that if someone has same problem.

Top Bottom