Firaxis Releases Civilization IV: Colonization Information, Features

Was this game muliplayer before? That could provide many interesting challenges. Not that i have ever play MP games. how would this work if more than 1 empire tried to declare independence? Could you have 2 lots of home nations landing troops? Would the first player to try to break away from the homelands stop the rest from doing this?

Its not as though the Ai ever declared independence on my old games. Well i kept razing all their cities.

Mods and Community Tools: Players will have limitless options for modifying the game to suit their needs. Firaxis will ship the game with modding tools including a map editor using XML and Python.

If this is a tool that is beyond Civ's world builder than I really wish for a similar tool for Civ!

im sorry if this offends anyone, but i think the game is directed toward an American Player.
I mean, the first things Americans learn about in School is The Revolution and Louisana Purchase.
That obviously explains French and English.
And, every American knows of the Country to the south, Explaining Spain.
Finnally, most americans who would like this game know that New York use to be New Amsterdam, Explaining Dutch.
Also, all 4 really contributed to the America of today. With this game including an Independence factor, the most famous(i believe) revolution in all Colonization, possibly the world, was of course the American Revolution.

Simon Bolivar and Gran Colombia beats America anyday. It's just that America was successful later on.

Simon Bolivar and Gran Colombia beats America anyday. It's just that America was successful later on.

Friendly word of advice: That comment alone will likely make 90% of the people reading this topic dismiss anything you have to say outright. ;)

Kahbleeeecchhh!!!:eek:

Those graphics just made me blow my face out! :eek: I wanna get that! Its like civ, but really, really realistic and non-cartoon-like! Does it improve the full game's graphics or just colonisation?

I just received my copy of PC Gamer (August edition) and there is a nice 3 page test play of CIv4: Colonization.... man it makes me want the game!!

Colonization & Multiplayer, this sounds good. But I think maximum 4 players:)

Just because there are only 4 nations, it doesn't neccessarily imply there would be a 4 player limit in multiplayer. It could well be that an individual player represents a company, as oppossed to a specific nation - so there may well be 2 English players, 1 Dutch, 3 Spanish and 0 French for example.

Whether the players from the same nation could go to war with each other, and whether their activities affect all of the individuals is another matter (ie; flooding the market with silver brings the price of it down in Europe, or attacking an Indian village means they attack all companies from any given nation)

I just received my copy of PC Gamer (August edition) and there is a nice 3 page test play of CIv4: Colonization.... man it makes me want the game!!

Any interesting information mentioned in the article?

Here is a list of the things mentioned in PC Gamer:

As in the original the 4 countries have each their strength:

Dutch: Trading
English: Immigration
French: Cooperation with the natives
Spanish: Exploration & Conquest <-- This sounds like it might be a bit different from the original

There are now more ways to improve land; Farms and mines.
Pioneers now use money instead of tools to improve land.
There are 8 different European leaders to chose from (each with their unique bonus).
One founding father is mentioned: Cyrus McCormick: Boosts food & sugar production.

Here is a list of the things mentioned in PC Gamer:

As in the original the 4 countries have each their strength:

Dutch: Trading
English: Immigration
French: Cooperation with the natives
Spanish: Exploration & Conquest <-- This sounds like it might be a bit different from the original

There are 8 different European leaders to chose from (each with their unique bonus).
One founding father is mentioned: Cyrus McCormick: Boosts food & sugar production.

Eight different leaders? So that would be two for each nation right. But are they leaders for your colony or for the motherland?

Is it safe to assume we wont get anymore concrete info from Firaxis on this until after rev comes out?

Sounds a much like Civ4.... not sure if this is good or bad.
No more tools used/needed? Or just less mircomanagemant after creating an pioneer with using tools?
Again, sounds kind of Civ4... but, hwo knows? Anyone knows, if this will mean 8 to choose from - no matter which nation we play? Or just 2 for each nation? Or something different?

Regarding leaders: The hands-on preview didn't specify, my guess is 2 leaders per nation and that you pick a leader thus giving you the specific leader bonus.

Regarding pioneers: As far as I understood from the preview you need tools to turn a colonist into a pioneer but after that the improvement building will not remove their tools but cost money instead... I sort of like the old system better.

I have Civ 4, Warlords and BtS. It would be good if this was simply another add-on to the range, with just another Mod.

Another reason for Portugal: in the original Colonization, you only had 3 competitors - and usually one of them passed all its colonies to another one in the mid-game. So, if only for the sake of variety, add Portugal, Firaxis!

If you need a bonus for them, what about a slightly easier independence? Learning a bit about the Portuguese achievements on the Colonization of the Americas would only do good to the development team...

For exemple, did you know France and Holland invaded Brazil twice each one (and were repelled each time)? The French founded the capital of Maranhão (São Luís), and there are still descendents of the Dutch living in Pernambuco...

Oh, and by the way, I do not intend to play that much as the Portuguese (even if I live in Brazil)... I will certainly prefer using the French (hope they don't chose Jeanne D'Arc as their leader, he, he)!

Cheers!

Mad Hab

Man, can't we stop it, Poland always wants to be in Civ and apparently Portugal always wants to be in Col.

Email Firaxis if it is that important to you, but I really could care less about seeing ever more desparate posts about why Portugal should be added. It feels like every second or third post tries to come up with some excuse to include them.

Man, can't we stop it, Poland always wants to be in Civ and apparently Portugal always wants to be in Col.

Email Firaxis if it is that important to you, but I really could care less about seeing ever more desparate posts about why Portugal should be added. It feels like every second or third post tries to come up with some excuse to
include them.

that's because Portugal has plenty of reasons to be in Civ or in Col... more reasons than Poland had, has or will ever have!

Top Bottom