[R&F] First Look: Georgia

As I understand, you don't need to found a religion, just have a major one for both bonuses. You could use extra faith from protectorate war and walls for buying buildings and units while targeting Cultural victory, for example. And using envoy bonuses don't require any significant religious investments at all - you just need to share religion with neighbour city-states, which could be done for you by the religion founder, or by yourself with a single holy site.

You may not *have* to found your own religion, but if you don't the bonus becomes so situational that I'd hesitate to count on it. Personally I rarely build walls, and a little extra faith isn't a huge incentive. I'm not instantly thrilled by these bonuses but, as I said earlier, I won't have a solid opinion until I spend some time with R&F.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and pardon me if this has been brought up before now, but something occurred to me last night while I was trying to sleep (go figure): unless they're specifically given the ability to construct their Renaissance Walls replacement after researching Steel, this will be the only civ that has both of their unique components going obsolete.

Well, keep in mind that religion, along with Confucianism, Taoism, and Buddhism, was originally introduced in Civ IV, wherein religion was handled quite differently (cities could have multiple religions quite easily, and the idea of a "majority religion" didn't exist, only a state religion). Maybe they'd make more sense in that context.

Yeah. I do miss that aspect of religion. Though it was ultimately a lot less interesting and potentially problematic because it gave bonuses for specific religions. One of the Rhyes Mod-Mods (East Asia) created the idea of Major Religions and Minor Religions. Minor Religions would spread through contact, but wouldn't be a big deal.

Anyway, to swing this back on topic, I like the idea of each religion having two to three civs that want it, so Georgia fits with that. We're heavily overloaded with Catholicism. Greek Orthodox currently has Russia. It arguably should have Norway as well as Harald was Eastern in practice even if he was in Communion with Rome because it was pre-schism. He's not Protestant, which is rather annoying that he prefers that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and pardon me if this has been brought up before now, but something occurred to me last night while I was trying to sleep (go figure): unless they're specifically given the ability to construct their Renaissance Walls replacement after researching Steel, this will be the only civ that has both of their unique components going obsolete.
My guess is that you‘ll get the UB in all cities with Steel instead of the usual defense structure.

My guess is that you‘ll get the UB in all cities with Steel instead of the usual defense structure.
That would be nice, but there would be problems with that.

Either you're not getting the highest level of defense, in which case your cities would be weaker, or you are just also getting free walls in your cities after getting civil defenses, which adds a ton of free tourism for no cost.

That would be nice, but there would be problems with that.

Either you're not getting the highest level of defense, in which case your cities would be weaker, or you are just also getting free walls in your cities after getting civil defenses, which adds a ton of free tourism for no cost.
Alternatively, if the unique walls are better than civil defenses: you can build them till the end and upgrade from civil defenses to unique renaissance walls.

After reading many posts about Tamar I finally know the feeling in me. Being read at least 70% of the famous thread, having tried to guess the leader myself and having invoked the meme on certain occasions I definitively have a sweet sensation I was part of history in the making! Maybe the global order hasn't changed but years from now when I will be teaching my kids how to play civ 9 I will look back in civ history and remember I was there..

Long life to Civ and us all! :egypt::viking::spear::grouphug::old:

My Article welcoming Queen Tamar to Civilization VI and the story behind the meme (feel free to share it with any of your friends that like Civ)

Well i am glad that people liked my look back at the history of the Tamar of Georgia meme, it even got posted to YouTube somewhere, and a Russian fan site

While I love this etymology, politics actually comes from the Greek polis, which means city, and was based on Aristotle's ta politika, "affairs of state."

Well, of course. Just having a little fun.

I do love word etymology, though. :thumbsup:

I'm late to the party, too, but I like having Tamar in the game. I probably haven't ever built renaissance walls nor do I usually care much about faith bonuses, but it might be fun from a role-playing perspective.
I hope they fix her face, though. She should look like a man with eyes at different height :lol:

Regarding my food quest (to eat something from the revealed civs), I'll just be lazy this time, as there's a Georgian restaurant nearby and I've never been there.

e. typo

Last edited:
I don't build walls either, like, only very rarely in the capital for particularly challenging starts. I'd much rather use production for units. No sense having strength just lay at home not doing anything when it could be out projecting your will wherever you need it.

I have wondered about how a wall-centric approach would play though. I think walls count toward your military strength, the measure of how strong the AI thinks you are, and I think they are also the most efficient from a production to strength point of view. This would suggest that leveraging this bonus means playing off good foreign relations maybe? Which is supported by the bonus to protectorate wars, meanwhile, while your army is off fighting for some distant city state, the walls are serving to delay anyone who might think to take advantage of their absence.

Could be fun if it actually works out that way, I hope it does.

I don't build walls either, like, only very rarely in the capital for particularly challenging starts. I'd much rather use production for units.

Ancient, medieval and renaissance walls all add considerable tourism. So they can be very valuable if you are going for a Culture Victory, especially with a wide empire with many cities building walls. But if you are going for Domination, then it's true that you need very few of them.

Walls are nice if you have very aggressive neighbors and are trying for a non-domination victory. Very useful to have your cities able to defend themselves. Maybe I'm playing suboptimally but I like at least ancient walls on my frontier. That her walls come at Rennaissance walls is a bit much though and usually you wouldn't need walls in more than 2 or 3 cities.

I'm glad to see I was in the ballpark of guessing the civilization's UA even though I guessed it as the LUA and my version of always giving one more dedication per age was way overpowered. That being said I do get the feeling that Firaxis balancing feels that the ability is going to be quite strong which is why they've watered down other aspects of the civ, especially the UB.

I'm glad to see I was in the ballpark of guessing the civilization's UA even though I guessed it as the LUA and my version of always giving one more dedication per age was way overpowered. That being said I do get the feeling that Firaxis balancing feels that the ability is going to be quite strong which is why they've watered down other aspects of the civ, especially the UB.

Well it seems like it would be as flexible a civ ability as you can get, with it allowing you to choose from a list of abilities and all.

Last edited:
I'm guessing this is Amber when it occurs on water tiles?

upload_2018-1-11_13-16-24.png

I remember them mentioning something about it being a resource that can occur on both land and water.

I have wondered about how a wall-centric approach would play though. I think walls count toward your military strength, the measure of how strong the AI thinks you are, and I think they are also the most efficient from a production to strength point of view.

Does anyone know if this is true? I build walls fairly often, with a decent but not large army, and I don't often have issues with the AI judging my military as weak, so I can't tell.

I wish there was an in-game military report interface, like in previous titles.

I love Tamars white/golden orange colour scheme :love:

I hope she can keep it till the end of this iteration. These days you never know how long you can maintain the same colour scheme in Civ 6. :mischief: Looking at you Australia.

Top Bottom