First Look: Kongo

Yes, all true. I forgot about needing a holy district to create a religion. Stonehenge still becomes a question. I do like that a GP providing relics would have synergy with their UA.

The Leader Ability still seems more negative than positive unless you get a very agreeable Founder Belief like Tithe. If the Founder Belief just helps spread someone else's religion - Scripture, Itinerant Preachers, Holy Order - how does that help you? How does having a religion help you if the Follower Belief is Feed the World or Religious Community (both boost Shrines and Temples)? This LA is a head-scratcher.

I believe those are Enhancer beliefs.
(Admittedly Feed t W or Rel Com are less useful follower beliefs..however, Kongo can still capture Holy Sites)

Interesting. I must have misheard that ability. Shows I'm also still in Civilization 5 mode, though, as I thought a city got the follower beliefs for all religions in that city automatically-not just the dominant religion......maybe this means that State Religion/Converting between religions is coming back?

I know this is in Civ 5 already but I have always found the distinction between Founder and Follower beliefs to be really confusing... So this distinction b/t India and Kongo will be hard to figure out.

Agreed with this... but having done the damage of picking Afonso, the design mitigates the damage a little bit.

I can see how'd people think of it like that,but I would rather have the designers went through with it completely and make Mvemba's design to reflect his conversion policies. Dont leave people's expectations halfway like this, you know..

I believe those are Enhancer beliefs.
(Admittedly Feed t W or Rel Com are less useful follower beliefs..however, Kongo can still capture Holy Sites)

They were Enhancer Beliefs in Civ V, but are listed as Founder Beliefs in Civ VI.

Spoiler :
Founder Beliefs

Church Property: Gold +2 for each city following this Religion
Lay Ministry: Each Holy Site or Theater Square district in a city following this Religion provides +1 Faith or +1 Cult respectively
Papal Primacy: Type bonuses from City-States following your Religion 50% more powerful.
Pilgrimage: Faith +2 for every city following this Religion in other civilizations
Stewardship: Each Campus or Commercial Hub district in a city following this Religion provides +1 Science or +1 Gold respectively
Tithe: +1 Gold for every 4 followers of this Religion
World Church: Culture +1 for every 5 followers of this Religion in other civilizations
Defender of the Faith: Combat units gain +10 Combat Strength near friendly cities that follow this Religion
Holy Order: Missionaries and Apostles are 30% cheaper to Purchase
Itinerant Preachers: Religion spreads to cities 30% further away
Crusade: Combat units gain +10 Combat Strength near foreign cities that follow this Religion
Missionary Zeal: Religious units ignore movement costs of terrain and features
Monastic Isolation: Your Religion's pressure never drops due to losses in Theological Combat
Scripture: Religious spread from adjacent city pressure is 25% stronger. Boosted to 50% once Printing Press is researched

I did misunderstand the ability, though. I thought it was said that he gets the founder belief of the religion that is the majority in his cities. But it is the founder beliefs of the religions that are in the majority of his cities. So he can have multiple founder beliefs as long as he can balance the pressure. That's much better than what I thought it was.

So it looks like the only founder belief that is truly useless for Kongo is:

Holy Order: Missionaries and Apostles are 30% cheaper to Purchase

Admittedly, the beliefs that help spread religion are not so obviously useful either.

But yes, the ability to have multiple founder beliefs seems quite strong... and it plays into the overall goal of the Kongo to be "tall" because Kongo benefits a lot from having fewer cities so that getting any given religion in a "majority" of its cities is easier.

I can see how'd people think of it like that,but I would rather have the designers went through with it completely and make Mvemba's design to reflect his conversion policies. Dont leave people's expectations halfway like this, you know..

Totally --- but I ran out of steam complaining about Afonso in some other thread (only African leader being one who was a Euro sycophant) so now I've reached the acceptance stage of grief

Honestly, Kongo doesn't look interesting to me yet. I'm ok with lack of Holy Sites - game without founding a religion should be possible too. However, I don't see any interesting bonuses there. Bonus to Great People is quite passive and it compensates lack of active ability to rush buy them with faith. All other bonuses sound totally passive too. My only hope is for Mbanza to cause some cool strategical deviations.

Overall, Kongo looks ok if you don't want to compete for founding a religion, but not more.

Interesting......does this mean that theater and Neighbourhood Districts will have their own religions attached to them?

I assume it means Theater and Neighbourhood built in a city which shares the primary religion with the whole civ. I can't spell it better :)

The most logical assumption is to control the holy city of the most dominant religion of the world. Otherwise kongos only way to found a religion is through Stonehenge.

I don't think you could found a religion through Stonehendge as Kongo. Most likely it's just a source of faith for them.

EDIT:

But yes, the ability to have multiple founder beliefs seems quite strong... and it plays into the overall goal of the Kongo to be "tall" because Kongo benefits a lot from having fewer cities so that getting any given religion in a "majority" of its cities is easier.

I'm not sure you could have multiple founder beliefs. "Established itself in the majority of the cities" could mean only dominant religion. But it could also mean just religion present. Can't say for sure.

The red-yellow color scheme used for Kongo's border most likely comes from Alfonso I's (Mvemba a Nzinga's) Coat of Arms that was granted to him by Portugal:
Spoiler :

Interesting......does this mean that theater and Neighbourhood Districts will have their own religions attached to them?

I found that sentence interesting as well. Not sure at all what "theater districts of that religion" means.

Also not sure how to interpret this, "Receives the founder beliefs of any religion that is established in the majority of his cities." Does that mean he can get the founder beliefs from multiple religions if they are each spread in most of his cities or does he just get the founder beliefs of the one religion if that religion is dominant in most of his cities?

I found that sentence interesting as well. Not sure at all what "theater districts of that religion" means.

Also not sure how to interpret this, "Receives the founder beliefs of any religion that is established in the majority of his cities." Does that mean he can get the founder beliefs from multiple religions if they are each spread in most of his cities or does he just get the founder beliefs of the one religion if that religion is dominant in most of his cities?

I think it's that he gets the founder belief of the majority religion in his empire.

I'm glad that Kongo is finally in after being one of the most requested civs by the end of CiV's lifespan, but after seeing the reference picture that was used for Afonso, I'm not quite digging his look because it's so different to what I was expecting, and he looks a lot older than I imagined he's be. He also looks a lot like Montezuma, which doesn't help any haha.

what a beautiful screenshot of Kongo!

Spoiler :
I'm a bit diasppointed that most of those buildings and districts don't look like they fit in with that culture at all. I was hoping they'd diversify tile improvements and such a bit more.

E: Kinda puzzled about the gap others have mentioned as well. Sounds like this man was very eager to give up his people's faith and culture(?) in favour of foreigners ones, but then he presents himself to us in a traditional sort of tribal outfit. I don't know much about him, but either his design or Firaxis' introduction to this man is faulty.

I'm a bit diasppointed that most of those buildings and districts don't look like they fit in with that culture at all. I was hoping they'd diversify tile improvements and such a bit more.

E: Kinda puzzled about the gap others have mentioned as well. Sounds like this man was very eager to give up his people's faith and culture(?) in favour of foreigners ones, but then he presents himself to us in a traditional sort of tribal outfit. I don't know much about him, but either his design or Firaxis' introduction to this man is faulty.

That's a lot of o neighborhoods

Well, it seemed worth pointing out even if obvious, and of course having good defenders will help you establish your cities in the rainforest and forest.

But based on everything we've seen, I think that it is also quite likely that the Mbanza have some kind of adjacency bonus from forest and rainforests. They are described as providing "food and gold" in addition to housing, but it doesn't explain exactly how it provides food and gold. Also the blog posts mentions specifically that the Mbanza were built deep in the jungle.

Arioch here: http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ6_cities.html#mbanza says that the Mbanza appears to *require* rainforest in fact, to be built.

What is that tile just south of the river at 1:21. Looks like a winding path up a hill. A quarry? first time I've seen that representation of one if it is.

Top Bottom