First Look: Kongo

Awesome design, one of my favourite civs now.

I have one question though. In the ending summaru the narrator says Kongo can create much better cities around rainforests and woods.

...but none of Kongo's uniques mentions any economic benefits to forest cities???

So why did she say that?

The UU have a benefit from rainforests and forests?

without Holy sites they have no place to pop a great prophet (minus Stonehenge). Having any polices to get GP points really won't help you unless you have Stonehenge, but if you have that then you don't need GP points in the first place. I imagine they are completely barred from founding a religion overall.

Yes, all true. I forgot about needing a holy district to create a religion. Stonehenge still becomes a question. I do like that a GP providing relics would have synergy with their UA.

The Leader Ability still seems more negative than positive unless you get a very agreeable Founder Belief like Tithe. If the Founder Belief just helps spread someone else's religion - Scripture, Itinerant Preachers, Holy Order - how does that help you? How does having a religion help you if the Follower Belief is Feed the World or Religious Community (both boost Shrines and Temples)? This LA is a head-scratcher.

Awesome design, one of my favourite civs now.

I have one question though. In the ending summaru the narrator says Kongo can create much better cities around rainforests and woods.

...but none of Kongo's uniques mentions any economic benefits to forest cities???

So why did she say that?

Other than that I just wanted to say Iove the fact he is so "african", I was afraid he'll be wearing european clothes, or be called afonso, or even speak portuguese.

It could be a reference to his shieldbearers, but it's also worth remembering we weren't told all the bonuses of previous civs and I'd expect that's still the case.

It could be a reference to his shieldbearers, but it's also worth remembering we weren't told all the bonuses of previous civs and I'd expect that's still the case.

Yeah, given the later reveals of additions like Hojo's ability, I wouldn't be surprised if, for example, the Mbanza is stronger if built around rainforest/woods.

The UU have a benefit from rainforests and forests?

She specifically said about developing big rainforest cities and I very specifically said ECONOMIC benefits to avoid someone mistakenly pointing 'duh shield bearers' with their bonus that has nothing to do with cities, yet here you are ;)

Well that's a bit ridiculous for them to list all bonuses of a civ except the very one that gets main attention in the vague summary.

"That civ gets butter, milk and sugar. As you can see it has a lot of pineapples!"

The only thing I object are his looks. He looks too tribalized, while everything we know about him said that he was eager for the conversion of his peoples. Commonly, this is also followed by a some degree of westernization in their everyday lives, such as clothings. I mean, if we were to look for other ilustration made for him in recent years, then most of them would feature him to be more clothed than this. I dont like it

She specifically said about developing big rainforest cities and I very specifically said ECONOMIC benefits to avoid someone mistakenly pointing 'duh shield bearers' with their bonus that has nothing to do with cities, yet here you are ;)
Well, it seemed worth pointing out even if obvious, and of course having good defenders will help you establish your cities in the rainforest and forest.

But based on everything we've seen, I think that it is also quite likely that the Mbanza have some kind of adjacency bonus from forest and rainforests. They are described as providing "food and gold" in addition to housing, but it doesn't explain exactly how it provides food and gold. Also the blog posts mentions specifically that the Mbanza were built deep in the jungle.

The only thing I object are his looks. He looks too tribalized, while everything we know about him said that he was eager for the conversion of his peoples. Commonly, this is also followed by a some degree of westernization in their everyday lives, such as clothings. I mean, if we were to look for other ilustration made for him in recent years, then most of them would feature him to be more clothed than this. I dont like it

Didn't it occur to you that devs very deliberately gave him native look, to display him as native African leader and representation of indigenous African culture, also in a setting where there may be no western civs at all :p ?

Personally I love it for those very reasons and would dislike him with european style clothes, background, language or name (afonso). He is proud leader of pure Subsaharan culture.

It's likely to be a bias towards jungle/forrest on top of the UU. It's true in the past they have left out additional details of certain unique abilities, but they've never left out an entire ability itself.

it could also be that those additional abilities were added later for balance reasons as civs such as England were found to be objectively weaker than others.

Didn't it occur to you that devs very deliberately gave him native look, to display him as native African leader and representation of indigenous African culture, also in a setting where there may be no western civs at all :p ?

Personally I love it for those very reasons and would dislike him with european style clothes, background, language or name (afonso). He is proud leader of pure Subsaharan culture.

Then maybe they should have looked for a leader that werent so eager at replacing the native beliefs of his people by foreigner's own. I can see your points, and diversity is always good, especially in these kind of games (I too, would like some random off civs be included to fill the YNAEMaps) but what ticks me off here is that the designers kinda make a Kongo looks more "ethnic" just to make their point about diversity clearer,when they actually dont have to do that. Kongo is fine on their own with their own native twist of Catholiscism, which I think the designers overlook when designing Mvemba a Nzinga, while implementing it briliantly on their unique ability.

Maybe the Food and Gold that their unique neighborhood provides are tied to woods and jungles somehow.

So these guys actually get Founder beliefs of religion in their cities. That's pretty interesting.

I think India gets the same with its Dharma ability IIRC.

Pretty interesting to get the founder belief of a religion without making the effort to get one. Interesting and powerful.

Leader UA: Can't build Holy Sites (and can't found a religion), but does get a Founder Belifer of any religion that has established itself in a majority of his cities. Gets and Apostle each time he finishes Mbanza (?) and Theater District of that city's religion.

Interesting......does this mean that theater and Neighbourhood Districts will have their own religions attached to them?

No, India gets *follower* beliefs; but Kongo gets *founder* beliefs.

Interesting. I must have misheard that ability. Shows I'm also still in Civilization 5 mode, though, as I thought a city got the follower beliefs for all religions in that city automatically-not just the dominant religion......maybe this means that State Religion/Converting between religions is coming back?

Then maybe they should have looked for a leader that werent so eager at replacing the native beliefs of his people by foreigner's own. I can see your points, and diversity is always good, especially in these kind of games (I too, would like some random off civs be included to fill the YNAEMaps) but what ticks me off here is that the designers kinda make a Kongo looks more "ethnic" just to make their point about diversity clearer,when they actually dont have to do that. Kongo is fine on their own with their own native twist of Catholiscism, which I think the designers overlook when designing Mvemba a Nzinga, while implementing it briliantly on their unique ability.

Agreed with this... but having done the damage of picking Afonso, the design mitigates the damage a little bit.

Top Bottom