[R&F] First Look: Robert the Bruce | Scotland

That extra great people points bonus is amazing if you can get cities to ecstatic. Though I kind of wish they had an earlier UI, it's a pretty good civ for builder type players who like to keep their people swimming in amenities :)

People around here come up with the weirdest conspiracy theories. Why would the inclusion of a golf course be a nod to the current president of another country instead of a culturally appropriate feature that happens to gel with the gameplay design of the civilization in question? It makes perfect sense for a golf course to provide sources of happiness, commerce and culture and then eventual tourism as soon as I have a plane that can fly me over to play St. Andrews.

OK positives first: he looks great! If my ears aren't mistaking me he's speaking Scots which I appreciate. The war of liberation ability is nice, as is the Scottish Enlightenment one which is going to be very useful.

I'm pretty underwhelmed by both the UU (I never use Rangers!) and the golf course which is cheesy beyond belief. Still, at least the way is still clear for a Celt Civ at some point with more of an ancient focus.

I think it’s a good idea with the ranger eventually upgrading to that special forces unit that can paradrop and target specific units. I plan on building more of them

Although I have nothing with the Scottish people and their Celtic heritage I'm kinda dissapointed with this inclusion because it simply means that the odds now for the ancient Celts are small.I want to believe that they will add an exclusive "ancient" Celtic civilization in the game like the Gauls.The Romans feel empty without the Celts.It's like a banquet without a dessert.
There's barely anything "Celtic" about VI's Scotland, their leader doesn't even speak a Celtic language after all. I would hardly count this civ as a Celtic replacement so I don't think another Celtic faction is that unlikely.

Edit: At least I don't think he's speaking any Gaelic, some of it is definitely Scots/English. For all I know the unintelligible bits under the narration and music could be Gaelic.

Last edited:
I wonder if there additional placement rules for Golf courses. I do hope so. If it is just not possible to build them on desert tiles, but next to each other and everywhere else, you'll get your cities to ecstatic easily to get the full out of the civ ability, which would make Scotland very strong. You could also just plant some of them in newly captured cities to get an amenity boost to loyalty.

I think it’s a good idea with the ranger eventually upgrading to that special forces unit that can paradrop and target specific units. I plan on building more of them

Projecting into the future here; but of all of the "missing units" people talk about, I'd like a middle scout upgrade. It's its own class of unit after all.

Hmm, I wonder if there's any chance that Flower of Scotland could be mixed in with Scotland the Brave?

I was really rooting for it blah

Theatres, sure, they have a long and distinguished history that has affected many aspects of civilizations. Golf courses? That's as ridiculous as making water parks one of the 10 districts which characterise cities...
I don't mind this as much anymore. The name should be changed to like Waterfront Pier probably. It goes hand in hand with other famous seaside attractions that have been built such as Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco, Brighton Pier in London. Copacabana Beach in Brazil etc. :mischief: Plus it also gives some sort of tourism at least from the Aquatics Center.
The golf course is also kind of silly also, but it doesn't really matter much as well. In this alternate world where you can only make films in the U.S. and make electronics in Japan, only playing golf in Scotland seems fine as well.

Wait for the very last civ reveal - that’s where the authentic Turkish rage and not-at-all-authentic Incan rage will start.
Then again we will be getting Shaka, who the general public love.

Wait for the very last civ reveal - that’s where the authentic Turkish rage and not-at-all-authentic Incan rage will start.
I can already imagine it. Thank admins that CivFanatics is a civilized page :p

There's barely anything "Celtic" about VI's Scotland, their leader doesn't even speak a Celtic language after all. I would hardly count this civ as a Celtic replacement so I don't think another Celtic faction is that unlikely.

Gauls for the win. But then, we're still looking at 11 civs that desperately need including.

Although I have nothing with the Scottish people and their Celtic heritage I'm kinda dissapointed with this inclusion because it simply means that the odds now for the ancient Celts are small.I want to believe that they will add an exclusive "ancient" Celtic civilization in the game like the Gauls.The Romans feel empty without the Celts.It's like a banquet without a dessert.

I actually think this Scottish civ leaves the door open for a future, more ancient Celtic civ (preferably Gaul). Nothing about this Scotland is explicitly Celtic, not even the language he speaks! There's still room for iron swords, druids and hillforts, and all that stuff commonly associated with the "Celts".

It’s times like this where I wish this site was ever so slightly less uptight about swearing, for the only way I can really articulate my discontent with the civ selection in this expansion is with language unbecoming. I don’t hate Scotland, but when it’s Scotland and Georgia and Mapuche and Korea (Who I personally consider a cynical marketing move due to the large potential audience of the country even though I know many would disagree) all crowding out the ones that should have been given base game slots in the first place... Chandragupta is now pretty much the only reason this expansion is still worth it to me.

So wait, help me get this straight. Korea and Scotland are obscure/unworthy and Chandragupta isn't?

I hate to be that guy, but you need to take your head out your...

So, looking at the headband leader again, I recall seeing a picture which suggested a more European appearance with dark and curly hair, and my screen isn't good enough that I would rule that out seeing this video. Is it possible that it isn't Mapuche, but rather a notably tan Justinian? The blue colors aren't much different than the depiction in V, and I've heard someone use the term "Rise and Tan" in reference to this expansion (by me- I said "Rise and Tan" :p)

Definitely more civs in this version that it might make sense to go for a Ranger beeline now. They're definitely trying to make the scout line relevant throughout the game.

Top Bottom