Fixed borders mod for Rise of Mankind

Dexy, still merging the changes... it's a complete PITA, your source code is from 3.17 RevDCM... That only makes a standard merge completely impossible, so I have to hand merge it... grr.

I know about that. That's why I offered my help initially, but you clearly said:

"If you give me the source code, I can extract it fine myself (provided it's been commented)"

good luck! :D

OK, here are the changes I’ve introduced in the new version (and that Afforess will hopefully include in his latest A.N.D.):

Units can still claim any enemy or neutral tiles. However, if your civ doesn’t have culture in a claimed tile, you must keep at least one unit on it each turn in order not to lose it again (i.e. if you claim tiles far from your cities, you must keep forces there to keep them). For instance, if you capture and raze a city and move the units away, you’ll lose all the tiles that the city provided.

For each tile, there’s a new info on mouse hover, saying “Owner: CivX”, because now the owner may be the one that doesn’t have the most culture in it (there are no more 10000000 culture points for claiming tiles; culture remains the same, but the real owner is decided based on claiming first, and then the culture).

Forts as Cities:

This component has grown into an independent mod and can be used even without fixed borders.

The point is that all forts (and other fort-like improvements*) really act as cities when it comes to culture and borders. They emit a minimal amount of culture in their adjacent tiles, thus enabling you to have additional territory without units far from cities, as long as you keep the forts under your control. You don’t even need units inside forts, but it’s like leaving a city unguarded. Once forts are captured (in war, like cities), they give the new owner the control of the surrounding tiles. There are some additional rules when a fort shares adjacent tile with a city – then the city is the ‘main owner’ of the tile and you must capture the city itself in order to get the adjacent tile (but the fort you get as soon as you capture it).

* Fort-like improvements are the ones defined in CIV4ImprovementInfos.xml with bActsAsCity=1 (old BtS tag, I haven’t introduced it).

Influence Driven War:

IDW has been slightly altered to support fixed borders and forts as cities. If the losing unit's owner has fixed borders, the tiles can't lose the last point of culture from culture transfer. Also, if a tile has a fort (owner doesn't have to have fixed borders), that tile can't lose the last point of culture. All other culture points (up to the last one) can be transferred and will affect the cities' nationality (if battles take place close to cities).

Finally, AI has been improved in 2 ways:
1. it has learned to build forts outside its borders (giving high priority to far away resources). The old AI then knows to guard those forts with units.
2. claiming of tiles has been improved drastically, AI will try to claim tiles as it advances into enemy territory toward cities.

That sounds great, Dexy. I'm impressed!

I know about that. That's why I offered my help initially, but you clearly said:

"If you give me the source code, I can extract it fine myself (provided it's been commented)"

good luck! :D

Don't worry, my tests seem to show that I successfully merged it. It was a PITA though.

Spoke too soon. I just hit an infinite loop... grr. Time to get VS up.

Thanks for the help...

Any chance of writing that explanation post you mentioned? I need to update the Civilopedia Article.

dexy, that looks great and really gives borders a better feel for my Civ games.

Does this work with RoM 2.9? Cause' it doesn't seem to be working.

Does this work with RoM 2.9? Cause' it doesn't seem to be working.

It is in my Rise of Mankind Expansion, A New Dawn, as a new game option. I suggest you try it out. The content is all optional. ;)

Top Bottom