1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixed borders mod for Rise of Mankind

Discussion in 'RoM Modmods' started by dexy, Jan 29, 2009.

1. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

Yes but he says he destroyed it automatically AND had 9 tiles. I didn't experience that. That means he has other setup of fixed borders or its a bug.

2. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

Oh, then I think that's a bug... I should read more carefully.

3. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

I have a question about the possibility to trade Land as above has been stated it would pick random.

Couldn't Land Trade be defined on the points a tile already has?

So, if Player 1 has over 1000 points on one tile - or any tile above that - he knows the tile which is about to be "bought" first is always the one with the highest points.
    As the player has the information which tiles he is about to buy
    (there should be 10 tiles buyable in 10 turns, the worth of a tile for AI is defined by 100 gold minimum+a tenth of the points of the last four numbers of the worth of the tile [avoids the millions problematic])
    he can adjust the borders expansion better. The AI's purchases (if it uses the option) also would be "natural" and not broken.

4. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I looked again, it was not a barbarian it was another civ's size 1 city, does that make a difference?

5. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

I don't know. When I razed a civs size 1 city (and it was their last city with palace, too)
    only dominance over the ruins remained after that. Dont know if you have more culture around the ruins maybe it connected to each other (fixed borders!) at your game.

6. dexy

dexy Warlord

I've never played RoM with city razing option, since there's abandon city mod which is very similar, but more useful.

I'll have to test this behavior more.

I guess the final outcome should be: you get the same territory (all tiles belonging to the city) no matter if you razed the city or not (of course only if you have fixed borders).

7. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I did not have the choice of raising it or not, it was a size 1 city and after my victory against its defenders it was a ruin.

8. Blackflag421

Blackflag421 Warlord

I have two former 1 pop barb cities that gave me 9 tiles of my culture 1000 years ago.

9. fireclaw722

fireclaw722 Imperial Guard

this only happens when running this modmod(the game doesn't crash or anything it just pops up saying what it does at the top).

what im asking is that, what does it mean?

Attached Files:

10. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

The message is coming from Afforess' mod Sea Monsters. There is something wrong in the assets/config/init.xml file at the line mentioned.

11. fireclaw722

fireclaw722 Imperial Guard

oh, ok. thanks.

12. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

I have a question: could it be modded that claiming territory costs some gold? Like a negative instead of positive pillaging value formula attached to the claiming. The sum could be a fixed one or a sum connected to the value of others already having culture there. In my games I now claim what I get but I manage to hold off settling others there. Even at war they can't settle in my territory that is unrealistic. The AI doesn't go there and just claim the land like I do. Btw. if enemy has fixed borders, too, the claimed tiles get assimilated very next turn again if surrounded by culture, so the AI would never ever be able to get a whole continent or any large area I claimed completely. That is not plausible unless you have to pay a huge amount of gold to do so, slowing down the process in the early stages. You still could claim important coastal strongholds like ancient nations did, but claiming something means to invest peoples power, time, equipment etc. - represented by some gold. I'd say 10-20-40-100-500 gold per claimed tile is a good amount, defined by aera of course, if possible.. just some thoughts.

13. Earlydawn

Earlydawn Chieftain

I'd love to see claiming territory cost money to execute, with the cost increasing based on the distance from the nearest city, multiplied by the harshness of the terrain. I'd also like to see a nation with dynamic borders have some way to push back and take fixed territory, representing insurgency and asymmetric warfare, but I guess that'll have to wait until the Fixed Borders 2.0.

Consider this a wishlist idea. :p

14. dexy

dexy Warlord

There have been other suggestions for the claimed tiles to cost money per turn (until your real culture spreads there).

I might implement both costs (per turn and upon claiming) as different XML properties, so everyone can customize the game according to his needs.

For the AI and its claiming - I know of the problem. I was lazy when coding it, so I "stole" a part of AI pillage intelligence (in order not to create new from the scratch). So if I increase the claiming more, AI will pillage less. I hope to have time to fix this issue as well.

15. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

So how do I get rid of territory I don't want. I still end up with territory from destroying a barbarian city, it had pop 1 and I didn't get the option to keep it. I was using "claim territory so my workers have safe passage to resources in those areas. Pity I did not save a screen shot from my last game to show you.

I think I am asking for an un-claim land action and button.

16. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

Hey Dexy, I have encountered a bug. No huge one, though.
    If you move a warrior on a field and it is "red" (has no move points left) and then you move an explorer on the same field (is "yellow" as it has one move left) and then group them, you can claim territory, an explorer can't do that normally but the action possibility of the warrior goes over to the explorer if they are in a group. I hope you understand the situation, here is a screenie to it as well:
    Spoiler :

17. Greeneyedzombie

Greeneyedzombie King

to wich directory do I unzipp the "src" file to?

18. dexy

dexy Warlord

OK, nice catch ;).

I understand the bug. I'll try to fix it, but don't expect a new version just for this, since it is a very small bug and doesn't affect the gameplay much.

BTW, next ver should include better AI claiming, but this is far from completed yet.

19. dexy

dexy Warlord

If you don't want to use the src folder to create your own dll-based modmods, you can safely delete it (or place it wherever you want); it's not needed for the mod to run.

20. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

Dexy, there seems to be a rare CTD bug from Fixed Borders. Os79 documented it, but I have seen it myself too.

I believe it's the last CTD bug RoM has, so it would be nice to get it Ironed out.