[FIXED] Crashes on turn 398 - Stuck savegame

Win7-64Bit. No way to continue after turn 346. It's incredible: it was really fast before, but on turn 346 I clicked End Turn and then only "wait...."
Reloaded the game but turn 346 is deadline..

If this is reproducible with that savegame, then please attach it, i'll move the thread then to the bug reports.

This is last savegame, click on "End Turn" and then something strange happen:
- AI Units move
- you can interact with other leaders and other things
- you can't play anymore, the "wait please" never ends

Game is installed in italian.

Attachments

• Deadline.Civ5Save
    820.7 KB · Views: 273
I second Vader. Everybody with this issue: COUNT YOUR CITIES. I suspect you are all crashing at the now-confirmed 70-city limit, as you seem to be at high turn levels (300+). It would be nice if we could attribute all of these crashes to it; among other things, that would make the fix that much faster.

I loaded Delibea's "Deadline" save file and saw exactly the same results that he described. I ended the turn and let the game run for about half an hour, but the turn never ended. I'm running Windows XP SP3 with 2GB RAM, dual-core 3.0Mhz CPU, NVIDIA graphics card with 512MB RAM. Game is patched to 1.0.0.20. Civ 5 runs only in DX9 mode for me. Windows Task Manager showed both cores running at a total of between 50 and 100% while the turn was in process. I was able to exit the game normally by hitting the Esc key and selecting the option to return to Windows.

Not sure about the number of cities but it should be:
65 cities (8 are mine, 57 AI)
14 cities state

core I5 750 (2.67 gh), GTS 250 (1GB), win7 64bit, 4gb ram, Dx11

During "wait please" 3 processor were at 25%, the 4th at 75%, Gpu usage at 10%, so it should be a problem about AI decision (loop, error in code...) imo.

I've just hit what looks like a very similar problem (about 30-40 turn away from a diplo victory no less!).

The game crashes everytime on the turn 334-335 transition, even if I reload from about 10 turns before. I don't think mine is due to the number cities though, as I've only got a dozen.

I think the cause of mine is that the AI has become very confused, psychophrenic in fact, and Greece has just captured Athens from itself!

If you look at the first attached save (start of turn 333, auto save 332), you'll see Greece penned into just a tiny un-garrisoned Athens in southern Europe. You'll notice that it's completely surrounded by my units, so there's no way anyone attack it.

If then hit 'Next Turn' you get notifications to the affect that the Greece lost and re-captured Athens twice during the inter-turn, the city size has been reduced to 1 and a Greek Pike is now garrisoning the city. And yet all of my units are still in place!

If you hit 'Next Turn' again, the game will crash before the start of turn 335, I think at the point it gets to the Greeks turn.

Also attached is the save for the start of turn 334 (autosave 333), interestingly this is much smaller than the other save, and crashes if you attempt to load it.

Now, I suspect whatever it is that may have caused the Greeks to go to war with themselves may have happened dozens or even hundreds of turns ago, but is only manifesting itself now. If this is right it's going to be a nightmare for the devs to track down where exactly the bug is. But if anyone here has the ear of the devs could they pass on the save?

Oh, one other oddity, if you look at the City State of Cape Town, you'll notice that it's both allied with me, and in the permanent war state where you can't talk to them. It's been like that for dozens of turns, and the influence isn't reducing either. It was allied normally then switched to this hybrid state after I attacked another City State. Whether that's related to the greek identity crisis or not it's certainly odd.

This is game was started on 1.0.0.20 dx11 with Dales True Start Locations Mod\Map, but as that only sets up the start locations it doesn't seem too likely to be the cause.

Edit: Using the tuner, I deleted Athens on Turn 333, and this time I got a text notification telling me that Dublin had been captured by the Dublins(!), and the game then crashed on the next turn transition as before. So, I went back to turn 333 deleted both Athens and Dublin, and it's now successfully progressed as far as turn 340 without crashing.
It's almost as if one part of the code was unable to differentiate between Dublin and Greece, so the Greeks declaring war on Dublin, resulted in them both attacking themselves(?). Anyway, hopefully the guys at Firaxis will be able to get to the bottom of it.

If it's any use to anyone I've still got all the auto saves from the very first turn, although it does total almost 300MB!

Attachments

• AutoSave_0332 AD-1912.zip
    969 KB · Views: 80
  • AutoSave_0333 AD-1913.zip
    579 KB · Views: 96
I only have 47 cities and it's happening again on my second attempt to play the game, around turn 360. So that's two attempts to play this game, both probably 20+ hours sunk into the game. And it crashes.

I started another game after the patch. Once it crashed at around turn 520, and after I loaded I played until turn 770 so I can't figure out what's wrong. Now(after 770) I even see most of the map, so it can't be the graphics who makes it crash. At turn 520 I only saw my little island with two CSs on.. I'm gonna see tonight if I can play further.

Update: I am now at turn 1,2000. It has crashed twice on the way, seemingly at random. But at least I'm still playing. And I now see all of the map, so that can't matter either.

Crash on turn 386. Loading older savegames still crashes at the same exact turn.

My thread + savegame : http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=386565&highlight=crash+turn

My settings :
Size : Huge
Type : Earth-like
Speed : standard

It took me 3 days to get this far, and i was gonna win a cultural victory in 16 turns. (The 3 cities + no war achievements with Ghandi.)

System : Windows XP SP3, Intel duo 6600 2.4Gh, 2Gb ram, ATI HD 4670.

Things I tried :

- Running in window mode / different resolution / minimal graphic details
- DirectX 9 and 11
- Deleting everyone of my units, workers included.. in case one of them was corrupt
- Changing production on my cities and even tile focus etc
- Loading older savegames
- Loading from the menu, from an existing/ongoing game, loading after restarting the game, after restarting the computer..

Nothing works.

I sent a support email, no answer. I called them, first call I wait for 15 minutes then someone picks up then hang up right away. Second call the tech support guy suggests :

1) Running in window mode instead of fullscreen. (Had already tried, doesn't fix.)
2) Asked me to check the exact windows error (from windows manager > event log > applications), and the message was that the problem happened with the file : "cvgamecoredllfinal release.dll", version 3.0.3.0

He notes the error down, puts me on hold, then he hangs up / I hear busy signal. I can't really blame tech support, they must be under a lot of pressure and they can neither fix the issue (game needs a patch really) nor tell you frankly that you should give up because the software is a piece of crap.

I am obviously not calling back. I'll just stick to small maps until they patch it... Thanks fireaxis for making US pay 60$ to be your beta testers.

Note on the 70 cities crash theory...

- I had only 3 cities BUT napoleon had all of africa and half of europe/asia (again the map size was huge).. it might be that he is the one who reached 70 cities, and it might even be that he conquered his 70th on turn 386... could be an explanation.

After the last patches, I have had some random crashes. But I am able to finish games now, on huge and marathon so I'm fine for now. Could do with some performance optimizing, though.

Repeatedly crashing for me on turn 1076, I'll have a go at attaching the file to see if it happens for anyone else:

View attachment 1076.Civ5Save

That's on a marathon game, huge map. It's the 2nd time my games (different games) have crashed on that map speed and size, both times after over 1000 turns.

Edit: Using Vista 64bit, i7 920 OC'd to 3.4ghz, 12gb RAM, 295GTX SLI.

Repeatedly crashing for me on turn 1076, I'll have a go at attaching the file to see if it happens for anyone else:

View attachment 267034

That's on a marathon game, huge map. It's the 2nd time my games (different games) have crashed on that map speed and size, both times after over 1000 turns.

Edit: Using Vista 64bit, i7 920 OC'd to 3.4ghz, 12gb RAM, 295GTX SLI.

Does it happen on the same turn when you restart and reload also? I have had random crashes, which I just reloaded Civ and could play on.

Unfortunately yes Aguds, I tried it a few times. It just gets locked in an endless end turn spinning globe, and the only way I can exit is via task manager, which says CIV has stopped responding. Course it might be a problem at my end, but in view of so many others having the same problem then probably not.

If anyone can get it to work, and tell me how then I'd be grateful, as it's a bit irritating to lose a game over 1000 turns in.

As an aside, I tried your save Sarassin, and couldn't get it to advance any further.

I'm suffering from the same problems

On my first game I played on a standard map and standard time. When I'm about to conquer the last AI city, the game crashes to desktop. Many more than 70 cities.

On my second game I played on a huge map and marathon time. Around turn 600 I managed to fight back the AI's that had been declaring war on me one after another. After defeating the Shonghai, I went for the Arabians. But after razing two cities the game crashes on the same turn. Also before this turn the message "Oslo has conquered Oslo from the Oslo" appears. Just about 15 cities on this save.

Believe it's the same bug as everybody else has, but it's kind of annoying that the game seem to crash everytime I'm in lead.

i5-450M 2.4Ghz
Nvidia 1Gb GT 320M
4Gb memory

Top Bottom