For Fun: How affinities do things differently

masda_gib

Warlord
While reading some affinity threads here, especially with the new hybrid ones, I tried to wrap my head around how they lived. How their daily life is and how they differ.
So here's what I think some interviewed citicens said about they colonies method food production:

Purity: "Aye, we burned down some acres of this stinkin forest and made some good farms. And our colony makes the best hover tractors around here."

Harmony: "We grow the local crops and geneticly modified our digestive systems so we can eat them. Also, liquified Miasma makes a good BBQ sauce."

Supremacy: "Whatever organic matter we harvest is transformed into food-gel by nanobots. This not only contains all proteins and vitamins I not but also the latest updates for my implants."

Puri/Supr: "How my food is made? How should I know! Whichever way the central AI figured out is best and build the farmbots for."

Puri/Harm: "We are nearly past having to be concerned with such mundane tasks as eating. We already changed ourselves so far that a few vitamin pills a day can sustain us. This way, we also don't poop anymore, that was disgusting..."

Harm/Supr: "I HUNT AND EAT WOLF BEETLES! MY METAL JAWS HELP ME CRACK THEIR SHELLS! *SCREEEEE*"

How do you think, they do stuff? Entertain. :D

Purity - "The santicity of a marriage is to produce an offspring one way of the other!"

Harmony - "Who cares, just reproduce, don't matter with who!"

Supermacy - "Just inject yourself and viola, you're pregnant!"

Puri/Sup - "Want to have a baby for sure, you decide the gender, number etc. just inject and decide!"

Puri/Harm - "Sense8.. enough said xD"

Harm/Supr - "Inject your DNA to a Wolf Beetle :D "

Purity - "I'm looking for a partner that I can settle down with. A man and his wife, living an idyllic 300 years or so, then die in the presence of my loved ones."

Harmony - "A monogamous relationship? Why would I want that?! I've got to date at least 120 different genders to see which one I prefer before even thinking of settling down."

Supremacy - "What is this 'relationship'-thing that you're talking about? It's not in my database."

Puri/Supr - "A real partner? No way. That's for old people. Why would I want a partner, when an AI is so much better at understanding what I want and need? And without annoying me with their own needs and desires."

Puri/Harm - PETA did not approve this message.

Harm/Supr - "Most of us here live in Family Hives. A few dozen people, sharing a space, connected to work as a unit that is bigger than its parts."

I think the "People for the Erotic Treatment of Aliens" sure does.
:rotfl::lmao:

Hello and welcome to everyones favorite talk show "How would you save Humanity?"

Purity: I would bring everyone from earth and put them on 4 tiles

Supremacy: I would turn everyone into Robots. by killing them and capturing their souls with Firaxite.

Harmony: Humanity? who needs it?

HWYSH: Now for something the Hybrids can relate to, What is your favorite pastime?

P/S: I use my helper bot's VR interface to go back to 2015 and play Civ V. HWYSH: that sounds lame we have Civ LIV now

H/P: I genetically engineer myself in my spare time, it guarantees I stay genetically superior to my neighbor. frikin' Gary

S/P: well you may have seen my work on the Floating Aircraft carrier, I'm currently working on Fighters to put in that carrier, don't ask when its gonna happen

Purity: "We have strong culture, full of rich history, beautiful art, and wondrous music. Why would we need change?"

Harmony: "We have to adapt ourselves, become one with the planet we call home. Natural images and sounds are the best art, and an emphasis on balance and cooperation dominates our society."

Supremacy: "We consider all things, find what is rational, and reject what remains as illogical. History is only useful in so much as it can predict the future. "The Arts" are a waste of resources."

Harmony/Supremacy: "Growth and progress at any expense is our purpose. More powerful, more adaptable, more efficient. What is past is useless, unless it directly motivates our growth."

Supremacy/Purity: "We thrive on entertainment. Music, Art, Sport, and so on. Now that we needn't focus on work so much, we've really grown in entertaining ourselves and interacting with one another. The three laws protect us and provide for us, and as a result we are free to expand our minds and our culture."

Purity/Harmony: "We appreciate the works that exemplify the sheer beauty of humanity. We are critical of our flaws, and use stories demonstrating them to motivate us to grow beyond them. Perfection is within our reach, and we will achieve it. For now, we honor our future with great works demonstrating our current majesty and our ascension to come."

Purity Explorer: "I wander the savage frontiers and live by my rifle just like the great explorers of old. Someday I hope to bag myself a raptor bug so I can mount its head above the fireplace in my cabin. I sure do wish they could find a way to breed dogs or horses that could survive out here though. This rover ain't much of a companion."

Harmony Explorer: "I love that my job lets me get out of the city and out into the rich natural spaces of this world. I've been monitoring this forest for over a decade and I'm still finding new species of pseudo-ants! There's an pack of wolf-beetles that hunt through here in the dry season and I feel like the last few years I've formed a real connection with the grizzled old alpha. Every season I don't expect to see her back, but she always pulls through!"

Supremacy Explorer: "Gridpoint 32A-226 is a suitable site for resource extraction, with abundant solar exposure and organic growth suitable for conversion to biopolymers. Additional field notes: Terrain will be difficult for wheeled drones. Construction of road advised. Personal Note: View from elevated plateau is pretty."

Edit: and the hybrids:

Purity/Supremacy Explorer: "I had to go down into the bloody jungle myself after Frank's wheels got stuck in the mud. Yeah, I call my remote rover Frank. It just seems more personable given how much time I spend operating it and having it follow me around. I guess I should at least be thankful that because of Frank I'm not down in that mess every day. Once we get hover-tech off the ground this kind of thing won't be a problem."

Purity/Harmony Explorer: "I stand on this hill and I know all. I hear the migrating wolf-beetles, seven kilometers north-north east. I feel the vibrations of a siege worm burrowing seven hundred meters beneath the surface. I taste the distant poison of the polystralian petroleum refinery. I know all this, and know that it all exists only for as long as we allow it."

Supremacy/Harmony Explorer: "Finished survey of failed colony. All survivors and remaining technology salvaged or consumed. During the trip back to camp a new lifeform that was determined not to be edible was recovered and dispatched to HQ. When solution is found please submit recorded memories of its consumption to field team as reward for making the discovery."

Morgan Industries would like to introduce the new post Great Mistake gene therapy and enhancement program. With our finest employees we have introduced 6 different ways for you to look younger, stronger and smarter.

Purity: Our state of the arts bionics will ensure you that age related diseases will be a thing of the past. A combination of traditional gene therapy and bionics allows you to enjoy long fulfilling lives. Subscribe now for a place in our Resurrection Device program where we will gladly reincarnate you for a price of 5000 Energy Watts per month

Harmony: Thanks to our xenomass research efforts, we have introduced bioware grafting. With your body being mostly augmented by xenomass. You will be able to regrow lost limbs and repair damaged organs with introduction of xenomass to your body and have the joys of tailored pheromones from Hive queens. Come buy our newest batch of easygrow repair gel!

Supremacy: Neural uploading is all the rage. Why not augment yourself with cybernetics and biometal skin to support your greybox? Aesthetics is overrated anyway.

Harmony/Supremacy: Don't just commune with nature, become the apex predator with our xenomass friendly cybernetics. Synthetic biomuscle makes you nearly indistinguishable from ordinary alien lifeforms. Have specialized talons for easier travel and deterring hostile aliens.

Supremacy/Purity: Want the perfect baby to come out the womb? Why not replace it with the Morganite "Mendel" Biowomb implant? Synthetic muscle replacements allows us to create an iron womb that will regulate the fetal growth and prune out any genetic defects. Install the aug now and we will throw in a nanopaste biosculptor that lets your android servant resemble your favorite celebrity

Purity/Harmony: The best of the best, this state of the art gene therapy program combines grafting from Xenomass Organ implants with traditional gene therapy. Become a god today!

The kinds of civilization one would imagine each affinity would be based on the game and some extrapolations from it.

Purity Civilization - Purists look at the past, to the common history and heritage of generations past and, in their nostalgia, tries to bring back that sense of awe of their ancestors to the current times. Pyramids, temples, cathedrals, and domes are found in such cities while robes are always in fashion and the military wear armor that evokes the military of the ancients.

Harmony Civilization - Hamonists look towards nature, to learn of the Greater Gaia Theory and of how Mother Nature already knows the answers of humanity's problems. In their goal of being one with nature, they become one with nature. Skin that feeds on the light of the sun, gills to breath in the water, reflecting eyes to look in the dark, such is the way of ecological symbiosis. This is reflected in the cities ass well, the ultra green aesthetic rules as buildings live like plants and makes no waste and pollution to nature, unlike the cities of old.

Supremacy Civilization - Supremacists look towards technology as the answer to all problems. Machines and man advance each other and so the most logical result is a union of man and machine. For man is flawed by random chance but the machine is perfected by a maker's hands. Efficiency and rationality are the goals of such people. Buildings are designed for efficiency for all and as such look like tall robotic servers. The people are sharp in thought and metallic in body as they bring such efficiency to their bodies as well.

H/P Civ - To those between Harmony and Purity, the look not at the cultures of the past but at the form and mind of Man. To them, the shape of humanity is another perfect shape to remain unchanged for millions of years from now, like the shark and crocodile. And so they give not only the gift of human shape to the lesser species, hearkening the half man half beasts of legend, but also perfect the human shape and ascend it to it's rightful place as the image of God.

P/S Civ - Between Purity and Supremacy, they looked at the stories of old, the once hopeful tales of man and machine living side by side as equals with humanity's greatest problems now solved. No more poverty, no more war, no more hunger, no more sickness, humanity is freed from such horrors by the help of their sentient creations, machines that think like man, that look like man, but are equal in rights and obligations. AIs, of course, have a time of temporary servitude in their early years since their birth like the years of childhood before adulthood and independence. But such is the nature of their cities of the scientific utopia.

S/H Civ - By the genetics of Harmony and the robotics of Supremacy, they go beyond human, above human, and better than human. Every flaw removed, every error deleted, every weakness vanquished, all for the goal of survival of the species. For the universe is vast and full of terrors. The aliens of one world can harm the works and bodies of man, how much so would the disasters of space can do to them. For the survival and eternal life of the species, humanity would advance until they become the inheritors of God's throne itself, to rule all things in the palm of their hands.

As a Purist, I'm offended you left out barbecuing Aliens.

Not as tasty as cloned Earth livestock mind you, but it's an old colonial tradition.

Supremacy Explorer[/B]: "Gridpoint 32A-226 is a suitable site for resource extraction, with abundant solar exposure and organic growth suitable for conversion to biopolymers. Additional field notes: Terrain will be difficult for wheeled drones. Construction of road advised. Personal Note: View from elevated plateau is pretty."

Sunergy, that's awesome! I laughed so hard when I got to the last line, I almost spit coffee all over the keyboard.

Response to a need of more production

Purity: "We need to begin employing the work force of our colony to produce what we need faster."

Harmony: "We should domesticate the aliens and start using them for mindless tasks. Humanely, of course."

Supremacy: "Automate everything. Even the decisions of what to produce."

Puri/Supr: "Build a bunch of machines but have humans pilot them, for safety."

Puri/Harm: "Why not just enhance ourselves to be as good as a machine, if not better?"

Harm/Supr: "BECOME AUTOMATON."

Purity: We hire a human craftsman to hand-carve a beautiful sconce, then project holographic torchlight around it to resemble a medieval-torch holder. There's also a popular design for night-lights shaped and shaded to resemble Old Earth's moon. *sighs nostalgically*

Harmony: We plant some new bioluminescent wall-moss where we need light--a species we found on the Southern Continent and preserved before the other friggin' affinities bulldozed the area. *Glares angrily at the other affinities*

Supremacy: *Incredulous expression* Change a light-bulb? Unlikely. We have designed super-efficient illuminium-tiles based on radioactive decay. We estimate a 99.87% probability each tile will function optimally for a minimal time-range of 17,202.7 standard years. They function underwater, in high or low altitude, and in extreme temperatures, all with minimum degradation.

Puri/Supr: *Human snaps fingers*. "Servus A-42! The lighting is out in the triclinium. Go grab a new light fixture and install it before you clean up the autokitchen." *Robovalet bows.*: "Immediately, mistress."

Puri/Harm: *Snorts disdainfully*. Our enhanced night-vision is sufficient we can see in the dimmest of light. Three generations ago, we genengeneered an increase in the number of rods in the optical macula from 120 million to 180 million. It's very effective--you should try it in your children.

Harm/Supr: Who uses light-bulbs? We simply unplug our photoceptor eyes and plug-in lidar. That along with our biological echolocation is sufficient. It's inefficient to have lighting sources in every room compared to modifiying the biological units that need to see.

May I present: Affinities and the Gordian Knot

Harmony: One must understand the nature and quality and beauty of the Knot before one decides to cut it.

Purity: I know of this lesson from Old Earth. The Great Alexander solved this problem with sheer force and so shall I.

Supremacy: My AI is running an algorithm to tell me the exact angle at which I should cut the Knot.

Purity/Supremacy: Why bother? Just let the robot do it while we sip fancy drinks.

Harmony/Purity: You call that an impossible Knot? I can make a better knot than this.

Supremacy/Harmony: "Can we undo your Knot?" What kind of stupid question is that? We will tear your pathetic Knot asunder!

Purity: beauty is human perfected by self
Harmony: beauty is human perfected to mimic nature
Supremacy: I take your beauty and convert it into pretty data string.

Purity/Harmony: Beauty is wolf beetle engineered to be human-like.
Purity/Supremacy: I shall preserve perfect human self in the this human-looking robot being.
Harmony/Supremacy: I am a genetically engineered human powered by xenomass and augmented by AI exoskeleton. I am beautiful.

The leaders of each affinity are asked to comment on their favourite past times....

Puritan: "Nothing beats a traditional game of chess, hashed out between good old fashioned humans."

Harmonic Hippie: "Chess? HAH - try Wolf Beetle tag or Drone jousting."

Supremacy Robot Junkie: "You luddites and your futile games. Nothing beats a 12 AI CiV FFA. Add popcorn and watch with all your robot buddies."

Puri/Supremacy Overlord: "You poor people. I can't imagine not spending my evenings podracing".

Puri/Harmony Demigod: "PUNY HUMANS. HOBBIES?! I SPENT LAST NIGHT REPLACING MY LEFT EYE WITH A GATTLING LASER, AND MY CALVES WITH SYNTHETIC MUSCLE?!"

Harm/Supremacy Splicer : "lewl newb, check out my tentacle fingers, they link directly to my new iPhone app"

:lol:

Top Bottom