[GS] Forced to move at start, what would you do?

Vandlys

King
I recently began playing on shuffle maps, with random civs. Today I drew Inca from the hat, and started in this wonderful spot (it's a horrible map for Inca, there are -no- mountains, and virtually no hills). Playing this way has given me some interesting maps and scenarios, but this is something I have never seen in my 1600+ hours of playing Civ VI.
I settled on the stone because I couldn't be bothered figuring out the best spot, and within 100 turns forfeited the game.
I'm curious to see if anyone else came across this, what they think of it, and what they would have done in this situation.

No mountains, I'd reroll.

If you really don't want to do that... go between the pantanal and crabs.

Anyway, I get things like this sometimes if I have legendary start on, which lets you start very close to world wonders. Sometimes even on top, like here.

Personally, I would have moved my settler to form a canal city between the sea and the lake. You can found the city on turn 2 and will still recieve the era score for settling the Pantanal and now you're up for a nice and easy Pyramids beeline. Stones will bring the Masonry Eureka, and you will have the trees for an easy chop. I reckon that you can easily chop in the Oracle as well for a deep culture game while starting to feed on the crazy Pantanal yields.

Of course, this setup removes the invaluable 2 culture tile from the first few turns, but while you wait for the border growth, you can still work a nice 2f2p tile and will get to an even nicer 2f3p tile soon enough.

Would you be kind enough to share the setup and the seed? I would be interested in trying out my luck with this anti-Inca environment.

Personally, I would have moved my settler to form a canal city between the sea and the lake. You can found the city on turn 2 and will still recieve the era score for settling the Pantanal and now you're up for a nice and easy Pyramids beeline. Stones will bring the Masonry Eureka, and you will have the trees for an easy chop. I reckon that you can easily chop in the Oracle as well for a deep culture game while starting to feed on the crazy Pantanal yields.

Of course, this setup removes the invaluable 2 culture tile from the first few turns, but while you wait for the border growth, you can still work a nice 2f2p tile and will get to an even nicer 2f3p tile soon enough.

Would you be kind enough to share the setup and the seed? I would be interested in trying out my luck with this anti-Inca environment.

Sure, but it's heavily modded. Give me a minute and I'll post the details.

Settings
Tiny map
Shuffle map
Ancient Era
Prince difficulty
All victories except for Score
Unlimited turns
Legendary start
Standard resources
Standard speed

Map seed 2019792963
Game seed 2019792964

Expansions and DLC
all of them (save cat scout).

Mods
AI free settler on deity only
Jungle Mills
More barbarian exp
More barbarians
More natural beauty
No embarked flying units
Notification log
Pokhiel's temple of poseidon
Prismatic - Colour and jersey overhaul
Proverbium
Radial meassuring tool
Removable districts
Silent start
Sukritact great blue hole
Sukritact resources
Sukritact Tonlé sap
Tactical camera by Tom Illar
TCS Free walls for City States
Terra mirabilis
Tomatekh's historical religions
Truly abundant resources
UI plugins framework
Zebenji's additional religions
Zee's decommission powerplant

Is that everything needed? I never worked with map and game seeds before.

Last edited:
1 NE of the stone and then settle another city on the rice to the south. This will make the best use out of the natural wonder tiles, giving you good early game culture and better production/boosts.

1 NE of the stone and then settle another city on the rice to the south. This will make the best use out of the natural wonder tiles, giving you good early game culture and better production/boosts.

I second this. Those forested hill tiles to the NE will help with production, and you still get the benefit of the Pantanal. To be honest, it would be a reroll for me if playing as Inca, but it would be a decent start for a coastal civ. There isn’t a ton of room to build this up as a tall city, but It would be a start.

I would settle where I am
I can see 2 hill tiles and a stone tile for production once you get a builder. It’s not too bad because your palace helps and you will get the +1 production card damn quick as well as the builder discount card.
Borders will increase rapidly and it’s not like you need to push a monument early. 50% settler card... yeah I think this is fine.

Incans get awesome slingers so all is not lost

I would settle where I am
I can see 2 hill tiles and a stone tile for production once you get a builder. It’s not too bad because your palace helps and you will get the +1 production card damn quick as well as the builder discount card.
Borders will increase rapidly and it’s not like you need to push a monument early. 50% settler card... yeah I think this is fine.

Incans get awesome slingers so all is not lost

Well, that's the problem you see, because you are not allowed. Pantanal blocks it : /

Seen simliar starts on Shuffle (no legendary starts, R&F). The problem with starting at natural wonders seems to be, there's a lack of ressources and mountains in those starts. But yeah, I would have ignored the natural wonder to start with and moved 1 NE to the stones as well. Will give you some decent production.
Alternative I would move to those plain hills south of the natural wonder if a second sea ressource is within that citiese 2 tile borders. At least that would be my second city and I would probably get the second city as first priority.

Wait, pantanal is 3f now? The early culture should be awesome! I'd love that start despite no mountains.

I'd moved 1 SE 1 E and settled on the ocen coast lakeside.
My fear with that choice would be the overall lack of production available for city #1 from that tile and the lack of initial housing from fresh water.

If this were my going to be my first game as Inca, I'd re-roll. If i had played Inca a few times before, I'd give this map a shot to change things up.

Wait, pantanal is 3f now? The early culture should be awesome! I'd love that start despite no mountains.
I think that's from one of his Mods (but I could be wrong).

The plains tile 2 tiles north of the settler would be where I would settle. You won't end up with a massive city but it has plenty food and production to pump out settlers. And a desert tile for pyramids.

You can put a second city on the wheat or 1 south of it if there is a decent tile.

Later you can find mountains for other cities.

It looks like a really good start for any Civ.

Top Bottom